Which weapon is better and Why?

Lee Nusbaum
Lee Nusbaum
Minor Nuisance
Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 104

I need help in understanding which of two weapons below are better. Both weapon types are the same except the damage amount and reload. After figuring out the DPS (Damage Per Second), it looks to me that the Pilum Rocket is better because it puts out more damage per second. And yet the Aureum Aquila Rocket is an expensive limited, tier 8.5 weapon and people are saying it is superior to the Pilum Rocket blueprint, tier 8.  Are they nuts or am I not fingering in something?

Aureum Aquila Rocket

Tier: 8.5

Project speed: 375

Splash: 16

Spread: 175

Damage: 44,000

Reload: 4-sec

DPS (Damage Per Second): 11,000

Pilum Rocket

Tier: 8

Project speed: 375

Splash: 16

Spread: 175

Damage: 34,600

Reload: 3-sec

DPS (Damage Per Second): 11,533

• Sputnik001
    Sputnik001
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,437
    The DPS is a good way to gauge a weapons effectiveness. The numbers you have used are based on its basic form. Once you add in the specials and buffs of the hull (Praetorian) the numbers change.

With rockets, reload does come into play, on the Praetorians you can get the reload down to its fastest possible (0.3sec).

Pilum DPS at max reload (0.3) ~103,800 DPS
    Aureum Max reload ~ 132,000 DPS

From above as you can see, the Aureum is the better choice, 
  • jschlueter1
    jschlueter1
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 635
    The DPS is a good way to gauge a weapons effectiveness. The numbers you have used are based on its basic form. Once you add in the specials and buffs of the hull (Praetorian) the numbers change.

With rockets, reload does come into play, on the Praetorians you can get the reload down to its fastest possible (0.3sec).

Pilum DPS at max reload (0.3) ~103,800 DPS
    Aureum Max reload ~ 132,000 DPS

From above as you can see, the Aureum is the better choice, 
    Actually, the fastest reload is 0.2 sec.
  • kixeyeuser_1375599580027_13280_1382897133
    kixeyeuser_1375599580027_13280_1382897133
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2015 Posts: 446
    Ignoring the numbers and concentrating on the real issue - does it make your fleet better by fitting the limited weapon? The basic answer is no in this case, but limited weapons can make a huge difference to some hulls, just not this one.

Nobody is suddenly getting *much* lighter repairs after fitting them and nobody is suddenly finding a target is now possible, that used to kill them before. The difference is minimal and even assuming they are slightly better, you can't get deader than dead when killing a target.  If one volley of weapons kills a turret, one volley of (allegedly) higher DPS weapons won't kill it any quicker. Obviously it makes a difference if only one volley was required instead of two or three, but they're just not that superior to the unlimited ones and no real advantage is gained.

I've fitted 10 (mostly free from campaigns/special events) and I can't see any difference in repair times or speed of killing a target.
    And why they remain a premium price, based mostly on a prettier graphic it seems, I have no idea.
    If they do become a more sensible price, I won't be rushing to refit my praetorians anyway
  • DerpyTheCow
    DerpyTheCow
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,116
    As a few people have pointed out, is is pretty easy to get the reload on these things down to the minimum reload time of 0.2 seconds. In this case, the damage is the number that matters.

These weapons are VERY expensive, and Praetorians are now the second best Garrison fleet. I wouldn't spend any points on these weapons, or any shipyard time refitting. If you have tokens and also already have the weapons by all means put them on. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend refitting them.
    When I am not helping people on forums, and I'm not banned, I run a YouTube channel.  I focus on actually helping players in the game. I respond to every comment on there, so it is the best way to find me. If you want more info click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DerpyTheCow47?sub_confirmation=1
  • phil.rothwell.5
    phil.rothwell.5
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 877
    edited 26 Jul 2020, 9:16PM
    The challenge for which is better, is how do you factor in the salvo fired on high reload that actually hits a dead target? (killed by the previous barrage) before you can start hitting the next turret.

IF you consider the amount of close/in range turrets within most targets these days....We as players are losing out a considerable amount of DPS that the Maths factors in but actually is a complete waste of potential fire power as it is hitting a dead target?

Anybody else noticed this? and tried to factor in for the total lost DPS per target? 
  • Loco266
    Loco266
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 5,725

@phil.rothwell.5 said:
    The challenge for which is better, is how do you factor in the salvo fired on high reload that actually hits a dead target? (killed by the previous barrage) before you can start hitting the next turret.

IF you consider the amount of close/in range turrets within most targets these days....We as players are losing out a considerable amount of DPS that the Maths factors in but actually is a complete waste of potential fire power as it is hitting a dead target?

Anybody else noticed this? and tried to factor in for the total lost DPS per target? 

It really doesn't make much difference in this case, and can be beneficial with explosive weapons due to splash. In particular, partially built Everest fleets sometimes rely on those extra rounds to splash kill additional turrets.

Practically speaking, the DPS loss that technically exists for this is pretty unimpactful for most weapon types. It's not really worth considering for calculation purposes.

I'm starting to understand Magic Bunny's perspective...