Minor Nuisance
Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 126
Stats           Ferrite-2     Zynth Isotope
Weight        1,250          1,000
Survival       4000           5000
armor pts    200k           150k

Ferrite-2 is cheaper, and gives more armor points
Zynthium Isotope is lighter and gives more survival

Previous armors Ferrite-1 and D7 armors gave the limited D7 an obvious edge over the ferrite, but it's not so cut and dry for F2 vs Z1
I have no Idea which armor is better
Please comment below if you can say anything about the armors

• FFRODO
    FFRODO
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2017 Posts: 98
    coolcat00 said:

Previous armors Ferrite-1 and D7 armors gave the limited D7 an obvious edge over the ferrite, but it's not so cut and dry for F2 vs Z1

Whats best will change for each player. Some have upgraded Shipyards some dont, so weight would be relevant in some cases. I personally dont have any ferrite armour on any current hulls nor any plans to use it anytime soon. I think the biggest draw with the ferrite armours is its a 1 time purchase. Those havin difficulty grinding the FM points for zynth armours may find it useful, but that needs to be balanced with potential refit time once they obtained the zynth armours.
  • coolcat00
    coolcat00
    Minor Nuisance
    FFRODO said:
    I think the biggest draw with the ferrite armours is its a 1 time purchase. Those havin difficulty grinding the FM points for zynth armours may find it useful, but that needs to be balanced with potential refit time once they obtained the zynth armours.
    You like many others immediately infer that the limited armors are better; My question is if the extra 50k armor points makes up for the 1k survival lost.  What is more important, survival or armor points
  • joe crossland
    joe crossland
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,459
    coolcat00 said:

you have the survival wrong on ferrite its not 4000 its 2000 of  each type of survival and isotope is 5000 per armor for the selected type of survival based on which isotope armor you choose  
  • joe crossland
    joe crossland
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,459
    coolcat00 said:
    FFRODO said:
    I think the biggest draw with the ferrite armours is its a 1 time purchase. Those havin difficulty grinding the FM points for zynth armours may find it useful, but that needs to be balanced with potential refit time once they obtained the zynth armours.
    You like many others immediately infer that the limited armors are better; My question is if the extra 50k armor points makes up for the 1k survival lost.  What is more important, survival or armor points
    more armor points = longer repair and youre losing alot more than 1 k of survival more like 3k but with the isotope armors you have to put 1 of each on to cover both damage types with the ferrite theres only one armor to put on that covers both damage types but even with that being the case youre still losing a crap load of survival with the ferrite armor 
  • coolcat00
    coolcat00
    Minor Nuisance
    coolcat00 said:
    FFRODO said:
    more armor points = longer repair and youre losing alot more than 1 k of survival more like 3k but with the isotope armors you have to put 1 of each on to cover both damage types with the ferrite theres only one armor to put on that covers both damage types but even with that being the case youre still losing a crap load of survival with the ferrite armor 
    Both armors Ferrite-2 and Zynthium Isotope armor have the same repair time of 1 second
    Check the armor stats under miscellaneous or change the armor and look at the total repair time of the ship (also under miscellaneous)
  • coolcat00
    coolcat00
    Minor Nuisance
    I figured out a way to measure the survival vs armor points

By Survival
    The percentage change in survival caused by adding an armor  Ferrite is 60%... Isotope is 78%   your ship will last 18% longer with Isotope

By Armor Points
    To account for Armor Points (the HP)  You take the HP of the ship with Ferrite and divide it by the HP of the ship with Isotope then subtract 100 to find how much (%) longer the ship will last

Math for my arch Nemesis (I changed one armor)
    2,924,668 with Ferrite
    2,874,668 with Isotope         

This comes out to be a 1.7 % difference (meaning Ferrite makes ship last 1.7% longer)

Overall Isotope armor gives a 16% survival boost  and Is the much better option  the 50k extra armor points doesn't help the ship last much longer at all.

If my maths are wrong please enlighten me...   The way my maths work Ferrite is only better when the armor points on your ship are very low (specifically they must be under 270 armor points) for the Ferrite armor to be better and all current ships have millions of armor points without armor.

Final answer:
    Isotope is the much better option if you can afford it.