Spoils of War 40s and other Skirmish targets: Is explosive better?

BuckMeatmissile
BuckMeatmissile
Skilled Warrior
Joined Dec 2018 Posts: 459
Like many players I can't hit many of the high-level targets in Spoils of War without serious fleet damage, so am resorting to supplementing my score by mass-autoing the small targets.  I've found that the best ships to use singly are Razortails.  However, I have found that outfitting my Inferno Dragons with Hydrodynamic Shells IV makes them just as effective.  In both cases massive areas of enemy ships die to explosive splash.  Bat Rays equipped with concussive guns on the other hand, do poorly due to the fact that they have much less splash and the fast subs avoid most of the damage, resulting in both ships just turning circles around each other.  I'm thinking about refitting the Rays with Twinfires too since their concussive guns don't seem to do much anymore.  Maybe this is why we never got an explosive Skirmish class ship to go along with the Silverfish, nor a new explosive weapon for Skirmish hulls.  
Me: Here is how I clear the fleets out of the 500 with Silverfish
Worz: Um... You're hiding behind a rock.
Me: I'd hide behind a preschool if I thought it would help
  • Angus_B
    Angus_B
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 976
    fix is coming in ..........3..............2..............1..................
  • BuckMeatmissile
    BuckMeatmissile
    Skilled Warrior
    Angus_B said:
    fix is coming in ..........3..............2..............1..................
    IKR?  Creative play is being crushed like a peasant uprising.  We have 1 ship to hit 1 target with 1 weapon, and now even how we approach and actually fight the targets is being pigeonholed.  

• XVIII-Luna
    XVIII-Luna
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2018 Posts: 451
    Maybe this is why we never got an explosive Skirmish class ship to go along with the Silverfish, nor a new explosive weapon for Skirmish hulls.  
    Silverfish were apparently supposed to have explosive weapons according to a comment made by the CM regarding the Multi-pod Sonar System special.

The explosive weapons have typically performed better for Skirmish so it isn't surprising that they never gave them out. I actually used Dragons during the P.Apollo raid to farm the skirmish targets, as I was a low level at the time. Worked out pretty great since I had a higher range than the enemy ships.
    Started in 2011, sector 19.
  • BuckMeatmissile
    BuckMeatmissile
    Skilled Warrior
    Had enough tokens to refit 2 Bats, the Bat problem has been solved and they smoke the 40s just as well as the Razors and Dragons.