U.S. Senator Introduces Bill To Ban Loot Boxes And Pay-To-Win Microtransactions

astro121
astro121
Potential Threat
Joined May 2019 Posts: 35

Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) today announced a bill that would ban loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions in “games played by minors,” a broad label that the senator says will include both games designed for kids under 18 and games “whose developers knowingly allow minor players to engage in microtransactions.”

Hawley will introduce the bill, “The Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act,” to the U.S. Senate soon. In press materials announcing the bill, Hawley’s team brought up the Activision game Candy Crush as an egregious example of pay-to-win microtransactions thanks to its $150 “Luscious Bundle” that comes with a whole bunch of goodies. This bill will also likely apply to a host of online games that feature loot boxes and other ways in which players can spend money for real benefits.

“When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn’t be allowed to monetize addiction,” Hawley said in a press release. “And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences.”

Last fall, the Federal Trade Commission promised to investigate loot boxes following a letter from Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH) that she wrote in the wake of 2017's string of games featuring the heavy usage of predatory microtransactions, such as Middle-earth: Shadow of War and Star Wars Battlefront II. Although some companies have pulled back on the practice, popular games like OverwatchFIFA, and Apex Legends continue to make big money off randomized microtransactions. Many of those games are played by both adults and children.

Hawley, 39, has become known in Washington for criticizing major tech companies Facebook and Google, often accusing them of anti-conservative bias.

I pray this Becomes law so kixeye is held accountable by the united states government 

• FBHO
    FBHO
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 2,555
    This is a game designed for kids - with big goofy spider tanks & cartoon like special forces. 
    Plus they've turned up the moderation & filters to prevent the children from hearing obscenities in chat. 
  • Loco266
    Loco266
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 5,725
    "This includes progression systems that encourage people to spend money to advance through a game’s content at a faster pace."

From an article on The Verge. Not the best source but eh.

Yep, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out
    I'm starting to understand Magic Bunny's perspective...
  • astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
    edited 11 May 2019, 2:55AM
    This is a great game dont get me wrong the problem is Predatory pay to win microtransactions aimed towards children with sometimes no way to obtain those items or gear in a reasonable way

• astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
  • BradyBunch
    BradyBunch
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 858
    Build the wall. Time is wasting.
  • Adel-Tech
    Adel-Tech
    WC Mod
    Joined Jan 2019 Posts: 1,154

How exactly does it affect Kixeye? Kixeye doesn’t have loot boxes, no pay to win micro transactions, none of that only thing is you coin you get an advantage, paying is an option not a necessity, I played for like 2 years now and still didn’t spend anything so where exactly does it affects Kixeye?

War isn't won by having the latest tech, but by using what you have in ways you haven't used them before
  • Loco266
    Loco266
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 5,725

@Adel-Tech said:
    How exactly does it affect Kixeye? Kixeye doesn’t have loot boxes, no pay to win micro transactions, none of that only thing is you coin you get an advantage, paying is an option not a necessity, I played for like 2 years now and still didn’t spend anything so where exactly does it affects Kixeye?

Because it includes any progression system that encourages spending to save time, which is exactly the model used in all of Kix's games. The gold system would be illegal if this passes.

I thought the same thing you did at first, but after looking into it a bit I saw its not just about loot boxes.

I'm starting to understand Magic Bunny's perspective...
  • CaptaiNHowdY55
    CaptaiNHowdY55
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 389

@Adel-Tech said:

• CaptaiNHowdY55
    CaptaiNHowdY55
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 389

I think you need to read the OP again, you apparently didn't comprehend it the first time.

• kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    kixeyeuser_150897889_9106_2342921
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 764
    The senator, assuming this story is true,. should be ashamed of himself.  He wants to legislate like a Democrat, he should be running as a Democrat.  
    Let's hear it for government intervening in things that are not at all within their constitutional purview!  Huzzah!

Seriously, before you do this you need to make all gambling illegal, everywhere.
  • Adel-Tech
    Adel-Tech
    WC Mod
    Joined Jan 2019 Posts: 1,154

@Loco266 said:

@Adel-Tech said:

Because it includes any progression system that encourages spending to save time, which is exactly the model used in all of Kix's games. The gold system would be illegal if this passes.

I thought the same thing you did at first, but after looking into it a bit I saw its not just about loot boxes.

This is what all free to play games have, a premium currency that is used to speed up time Kixeye isn’t the first nor the last company that does that

War isn't won by having the latest tech, but by using what you have in ways you haven't used them before
  • astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
    edited 11 May 2019, 10:00PM
    Adel-Tech said:

Kixeye is one on facebook this bill specifically targets facebook games because children use that platform besides kixeye preys or uses predatory practices to make the user feel they need to use real money to progress i think someone also replied that kixeye does not have microtransactions but that small little box that randomly appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen and offers to sell say tokens or omega parts is a microtransaction things would not be so bad in my opinion if prices were also REASONABLE i have seen some of these prices and they are outrageous very expensive
  • astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
    The senator, assuming this story is true,. should be ashamed of himself.  He wants to legislate like a Democrat, he should be running as a Democrat.  
    Let's hear it for government intervening in things that are not at all within their constitutional purview!  Huzzah!

Seriously, before you do this you need to make all gambling illegal, everywhere.
    This senator is lets say a right wing republican now a right wing republican is lets say religious be christian mormon whatever it may be now that said he belives it is a sin to gamble. this explains what he is doing and his mindset
  • astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
    astro121 said:

This senator is lets say a right wing republican now a right wing republican is lets say religious be christian mormon whatever it may be now that said he belives it is a sin to gamble. this explains what he is doing and his mindset
    I have checked this senators website located here https://www.hawley.senate.gov/ if you watch the video closely notice how he puts his hand on the bible and how he is surrounded by children as well as others i think he belives he is doing gods work 
  • astro121
    astro121
    Potential Threat
    116TH CONGRESS 1ST SESSION S. ll To regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes. IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES llllllllll Mr. HAWLEY (for himself, Mr. BLUMENTHAL, and Mr. MARKEY) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on llllllllll A BILL To regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes. 1 Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representa2 tives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, 3 SECTION 1. REGULATION OF PAY-TO-WIN MICROTRANS4 ACTIONS AND SALES OF LOOT BOXES IN 5 VIDEO GAMES. 6 (a) PROHIBITION OF PAY-TO-WIN MICROTRANS7 ACTIONS AND SALES OF LOOT BOXES IN MINOR-ORI8 ENTED GAMES.— 2 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (1) GAME PUBLISHERS.—It is unlawful for a 2 game publisher to publish— 3 (A) a minor-oriented game that includes 4 pay-to-win microtransactions or loot boxes; or 5 (B) an update to an existing minor-ori6 ented game that would enable pay-to-win micro7 transactions or loot boxes in such game. 8 (2) DIGITAL GAME DISTRIBUTORS.—It is un9 lawful for a digital game distributor to distribute— 10 (A) a minor-oriented game that includes 11 pay-to-win microtransactions or loot boxes; or 12 (B) an update to an existing minor-ori13 ented game that would enable pay-to-win micro14 transactions or loot boxes in such game. 15 (b) PROHIBITION ON PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBU16 TION OF VIDEO GAMES CONTAINING PAY-TO-WIN MICRO17 TRANSACTIONS OR PURCHASING LOOT BOXES WHERE 18 THE PUBLISHER OR DISTRIBUTOR HAS CONSTRUCTIVE 19 KNOWLEDGE THAT ANY USERS ARE UNDER AGE 18.— 20 (1) GAME PUBLISHERS.—It is unlawful for a 21 game publisher to publish an interactive digital en22 tertainment product that is not a minor-oriented 23 game (or an update to such a product) if— 24 (A) such product or update contains pay25 to-win microtransactions or loot boxes; and 3 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (B) the publisher has constructive knowl2 edge that any of its users are under the age of 3 18. 4 (2) DIGITAL GAME DISTRIBUTORS.—It is un5 lawful for a digital game distributor to distribute an 6 interactive digital entertainment product that is not 7 a minor-oriented game (or an update to such a prod8 uct) if— 9 (A) such product or update contains pay10 to-win microtransactions or loot boxes; and 11 (B) the distributor has constructive knowl12 edge that any of its users are under the age of 13 18. 14 SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS. 15 In this Act: 16 (1) COMMISSION.—The term ‘‘Commission’’ 17 means the Federal Trade Commission. 18 (2) INTERACTIVE DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT 19 PRODUCT.— 20 (A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘interactive 21 digital entertainment product’’ means a pro22 gram such as a video game that is accessed by 23 a connected device and provides an interactive 24 entertainment experience for the user. 4 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (B) EXCLUSION.—Such term shall not in2 clude a program if— 3 (i) a user’s interaction with the pro4 gram is limited to selecting options from a 5 menu of choices; and 6 (ii) the program would not be consid7 ered a game by a reasonable user. 8 (3) DIGITAL GAME DISTRIBUTOR.—The term 9 ‘‘digital game distributor’’ means a person that, for 10 commercial purposes, in interstate or foreign com11 merce, distributes an interactive digital entertain12 ment product over an online platform to over 1,000 13 users annually. 14 (4) GAME PUBLISHER.—The term ‘‘game pub15 lisher’’ means a person that, for commercial pur16 poses, in interstate or foreign commerce, develops or 17 finances the development of an interactive digital en18 tertainment product that is distributed to over 1,000 5 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (B) the visual content of the product; 2 (C) the music or audio content of the prod3 uct; 4 (D) the use of animated characters or ac5 tivities that appeal to individuals under the age 6 of 18; 7 (E) the age of the characters or models in 8 the product; 9 (F) the presence in the product of— 10 (i) celebrities who are under the age 11 of 18; or 12 (ii) celebrities who appeal to individ13 uals under the age of 18; 14 (G) the language used in the product; 15 (H) the content of materials used to adver16 tise the product and the platforms on which 17 such materials appear; 18 (I) the content of any advertising materials 19 that appear in the product; 20 (J) other reliable empirical evidence relat21 ing to— 22 (i) the composition of the audience of 23 the product; or 6 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (ii) the audience of the product, as in2 tended by the publisher or distributor of 3 the product; or 4 (K) other evidence demonstrating that the 5 product is targeted at individuals under the age 6 of 18. 7 (6) ADD-ON TRANSACTION.— 8 (A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘add-on 9 transaction’’ means, with respect to an inter10 active digital entertainment product, a payment 11 to the game publisher of an interactive digital 12 entertainment product, an affiliate of the pub13 lisher, or any other person who accepts such 14 payment for the benefit of the publisher, of ei15 ther money or an in-game proxy for money, 16 such as a virtual currency, that can be pur17 chased with money, that— 18 (i) unlocks a feature of the product; 19 or 20 (ii) adds to or enhances the entertain21 ment value of the product. 22 (B) EXCLUSION.—Such a term shall not 23 include a payment (including a payment of a 24 regular subscription fee) which is made only to 25 allow a user to access the content of an inter- 7 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 active digital entertainment product, provided 2 that users do not have the option to pay dif3 ferent amounts to access the same content in 4 order to unlock a feature of the product or to 5 enhance the entertainment value of the product. 6 (7) PAY-TO-WIN MICROTRANSACTION.— 7 (A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘pay-to-win 8 microtransaction’’ means an add-on transaction 9 to a interactive digital entertainment product 10 that— 11 (i) with respect to an interactive dig12 ital entertainment product that, from the 13 perspective of a reasonable user of the 14 product, is a game offering a scoring sys15 tem, a set of goals to achieve, a set of re16 wards, or a sense of interactive progression 17 through the product’s content including 18 but not limited to narrative progression— 19 (I) eases a user’s progression 20 through content otherwise available 21 within the game without the purchase 22 of such transaction; 23 (II) assists a user in accom24 plishing an achievement within the 25 game that can otherwise be accom- 8 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 plished without the purchase of such 2 transaction; 3 (III) assists a user in receiving 4 an award associated with the game 5 that is otherwise available in associa6 tion with the game without the pur7 chase of such transaction; or 8 (IV) permits a user to continue 9 to access content of the game that 10 had previously been accessible to the 11 user but has been made inaccessible 12 after the expiration of a timer or a 13 number of gameplay attempts; or 14 (ii) with respect to an interactive dig15 ital entertainment product that, from the 16 perspective of a reasonable user of the 17 product, is a game featuring competition 18 with other users, provides a user with a 19 competitive advantage with respect to the 20 game’s competitive aspects over users who 21 do not make such a transaction. 22 (B) EXCLUSIONS.— 23 (i) DIFFICULTY MODES.—Such term 24 shall not include an add-on transaction to 25 an interactive digital entertainment prod- 9 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 uct that provides the user with access to a 2 new mode of play that makes progression 3 through the content of the product more 4 difficult than it would be without the 5 transaction (as perceived by a reasonable 6 user). 7 (ii) COSMETIC ALTERATIONS.—Such 8 term shall not include an add-on trans9 action to an interactive digital entertain10 ment product whose only effect is to alter 11 a user’s visual representation within the 12 game provided that it does not, from the 13 perspective of a reasonable user, provide 14 the user with a competitive advantage over 15 other users who do not make such trans16 action. 17 (iii) ADDITIONAL GAME CONTENT.— 18 Such term shall not include an add-on 19 transaction to an interactive digital enter20 tainment product that adds new content to 21 the product provided that the add-on 22 transaction can be purchased only once by 23 a user and the perceived value offered by 24 such transaction, from the perspective of a 25 reasonable user, is not that it— 10 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (I) eases a user’s progression 2 through content otherwise available 3 within the product without the pur4 chase of such transaction; 5 (II) assists a user in accom6 plishing an achievement within the 7 product that can otherwise be accom8 plished without the purchase of such 9 transaction; 10 (III) assists a user in receiving 11 an award associated with the product 12 that is otherwise available in associa13 tion with the product without the pur14 chase of such transaction; 15 (IV) permits a user to continue 16 to access content of the product that 17 had previously been accessible to the 18 user but is made inaccessible after the 19 expiration of a timer or a number of 20 gameplay attempts; or 21 (V) provides a competitive advan22 tage over other users with respect to 23 a product’s competitive aspects. 11 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (8) LOOT BOX.—The term ‘‘loot box’’ means an 2 add-on transaction to an interactive digital enter3 tainment product that— 4 (A) in a randomized or partially random5 ized fashion— 6 (i) unlocks a feature of the product; 7 or 8 (ii) adds to or enhances the entertain9 ment value of the product; or 10 (B) allows the user to make 1 or more ad11 ditional add-on transactions— 12 (i) that the user could not have made 13 without making the first add-on trans14 action; and 15 (ii) the content of which is unknown 16 to the user until after the user has made 17 the first add-on transaction. 18 SEC. 3. ENFORCEMENT AND APPLICABILITY. 19 (a) ENFORCEMENT BY THE COMMISSION.— 20 (1) IN GENERAL.—Except as otherwise pro21 vided, this Act shall be enforced by the Commission 22 under the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 23 U.S.C. 41 et seq.). 24 (2) UNFAIR OR DECEPTIVE ACTS OR PRAC25 TICES.—A violation of this Act shall be treated as 12 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 a violation of a rule defining an unfair or deceptive 2 act or practice prescribed under section 18(a)(1)(B) 3 of the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 4 57a(a)(1)(B)). 5 (3) ACTIONS BY THE COMMISSION.— 6 (A) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in 7 subsection (c)(1), the Commission shall prevent 8 any person from violating this Act in the same 9 manner, by the same means, and with the same 10 jurisdiction, powers, and duties as though all 11 applicable terms and provisions of the Federal 12 Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.) 13 were incorporated into and made a part of this 14 Act, and any person who violates this Act shall 15 be subject to the penalties and entitled to the 16 privileges and immunities provided in the Fed17 eral Trade Commission Act. 18 (B) VIOLATIONS.— 19 (i) IN GENERAL.—In an action 20 brought by the Commission to enforce this 21 Act, each pay-to-win microtransaction or 22 loot box sold to a user who is under the 23 age of 18 through an interactive digital en24 tertainment product that does not meet a 13 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 requirement of this Act shall be treated as 2 a separate violation. 3 (ii) CIVIL PENALTY.—Notwith4 standing section 5(m) of the Federal Trade 5 Commission Act (15 U.S.C. 45(m)), a civil 6 penalty recovered for a violation of this Act 7 may be in excess of the amounts provided 8 for in that section as the court finds ap9 propriate to deter violations of this Act. 10 (iii) FIRST VIOLATIONS.—In an action 11 brought by the Commission to enforce this 12 Act, the Commission may seek a civil pen13 alty for any violation of this Act, including 14 any violation that is the first violation of 15 this Act that a person against whom the 16 action is brought has committed. 17 (b) ENFORCEMENT BY STATE ATTORNEYS GEN18 ERAL.— 19 (1) IN GENERAL.— 20 (A) CIVIL ACTIONS.—In any case in which 21 the attorney general of a State has reason to 22 believe that an interest of the residents of that 23 State has been or is threatened or adversely af24 fected by the engagement of any person in a 25 practice that violates this Act, the State, as 14 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 parens patriae, may bring a civil action on be2 half of the residents of the State in an appro3 priate State court to— 4 (i) enjoin that practice; 5 (ii) enforce compliance with this Act; 6 (iii) obtain damages, restitution, or 7 other compensation on behalf of residents 8 of the State; or 9 (iv) obtain such other relief as the 10 court may consider to be appropriate. 11 (B) NOTICE.— 12 (i) IN GENERAL.—Before filing an ac13 tion under subparagraph (A), the attorney 14 general of the State involved shall provide 15 to the Commission— 16 (I) written notice of that action; 17 and 18 (II) a copy of the complaint for 19 that action. 20 (ii) EXEMPTION.— 21 (I) IN GENERAL.—Clause (i) 22 shall not apply with respect to the fil23 ing of an action by an attorney gen24 eral of a State under this paragraph 25 if the attorney general of the State 15 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 determines that it is not feasible to 2 provide the notice described in that 3 clause before the filing of the action. 4 (II) NOTIFICATION.—In an ac5 tion described in subclause (I), the at6 torney general of a State shall provide 7 notice and a copy of the complaint to 8 the Commission at the same time as 9 the attorney general files the action. 10 (2) INTERVENTION.— 11 (A) IN GENERAL.—On receiving notice 12 under paragraph (1)(B), the Commission shall 13 have the right to intervene in the action that is 14 the subject of the notice. 15 (B) EFFECT OF INTERVENTION.—If the 16 Commission intervenes in an action under para17 graph (1), it shall have the right— 18 (i) to be heard with respect to any 19 matter that arises in that action; and 20 (ii) to file a petition for appeal. 21 (3) CONSTRUCTION.—For purposes of bringing 22 any civil action under paragraph (1), nothing in this 23 Act shall be construed to prevent an attorney gen24 eral of a State from exercising the powers conferred 16 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 on the attorney general by the laws of that State 2 to— 3 (A) conduct investigations; 4 (B) administer oaths or affirmations; or 5 (C) compel the attendance of witnesses or 6 the production of documentary and other evi7 dence. 8 (4) ACTIONS BY THE COMMISSION.—In any 9 case in which an action is instituted by or on behalf 10 of the Commission for violation of this Act, no State 11 may, during the pendency of that action, institute an 12 action under paragraph (1) against any defendant 13 named in the complaint in the action instituted by 14 or on behalf of the Commission for that violation. 15 (5) VENUE; SERVICE OF PROCESS.— 16 (A) VENUE.—Any action brought under 17 paragraph (1) may be brought in any State 18 court of competent jurisdiction. 19 (B) SERVICE OF PROCESS.—In an action 20 brought under paragraph (1), process may be 21 served wherever the defendant— 22 (i) is an inhabitant; or 23 (ii) may be found. 17 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 SEC. 4. STUDY OF COMPLIANCE. 2 Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment 3 of this Act, the Commission shall submit to each com4 mittee of Congress with jurisdiction over the Commission 5 a report on— 6 (1) the actions taken by game publishers and 7 digital game distributors to comply with this Act; 8 and 9 (2) other Federal or State laws relating to pay10 to-win microtransactions and loot boxes. 11 SEC. 5. STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF PAY-TO-WIN MICRO12 TRANSACTIONS AND LOOT BOXES. 13 (a) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 2 years after the 14 date of enactment of this Act, the Commission shall sub15 mit to each committee of Congress with jurisdiction over 16 the Commission a report on the use of add-on content, 17 including pay-to-win microtransactions, loot boxes, and 18 other kinds of add-on transactions in the design of inter19 active digital entertainment products for audiences of all 20 ages. 21 (b) CONTENT OF REPORT.—The report required 22 under subsection (a) shall— 23 (1) analyze the use of pay-to-win microtrans24 action and loot box design practices in specific inter25 active digital entertainment products; 18 LYN19247 S.L.C. 1 (2) analyze the psychological effects of pay-to2 win microtransactions and loot boxes on users; 3 (3) study game development practices relating 4 to pay-to-win microtransactions and loot boxes, in5 cluding A/B testing of various pay-to-win micro6 transaction or loot box designs; 7 (4) analyze the effects of pay-to-win microtrans8 actions and loot boxes on investment and production 9 in the digital entertainment industry; 10 (5) document different types of pay-to-win 11 microtransactions and loot boxes found in interactive 12 digital entertainment products; and 13 (6) analyze whether other forms of add-on 14 transactions to interactive digital entertainment 15 products, such as those altering a user’s visual rep16 resentation within a product, can induce compulsive 17 purchasing behavior by minors. 18 (c) USE OF PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH.—The Com19 mission may conduct or commission psychological research 20 on users of interactive digital entertainment products to 21 inform the report required under subsection (a). 
  • KT-1spot
    KT-1spot
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 236
    astro121 said:
    Adel-Tech said:

Kixeye is one on facebook this bill specifically targets facebook games because children use that platform besides kixeye preys or uses predatory practices to make the user feel they need to use real money to progress i think someone also replied that kixeye does not have microtransactions but that small little box that randomly appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen and offers to sell say tokens or omega parts is a microtransaction things would not be so bad in my opinion if prices were also REASONABLE i have seen some of these prices and they are outrageous very expensive
    way we get offer to spend money for tech when we got all time for free on past,way kix invest 11m on computer to make sure all get right offer is that who they invest to drain are pocket way they never invest on better server for players they play overboard? since kix saying all time ye if u are overboard u will have problem on dc leg so on,if they know players overboard will not have good service way they keep the game online worldwide coz it profit kix lot more and service is ****