Dev Diary - JustMike

• Battle Pirates 2013
    Battle Pirates 2013
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 465
    Chore fleet sniping has got to be the single biggest demoralizer in this game. I watched in my world comms last night how this player was sniping people's fleets as they were doing campaigns or collecting resources. This included some poor unfortunate player's caedes being sunk. 

The people who choose to stay loyal to this game somehow find a way to cope with the expenses of the game. Some refuse to coin and others coin to the best of their ability to try and keep up. While coining is a choice, and I do fully realize that this is a battle game and this includes the snipings, the damages incurred by having your chore fleet sunk is no longer a choice and is now a financial burden. Not to mention the lost opportunity of having to sit out the remainder of a campaign if your fleet is now doomed to be in repair for the next 15-30 hours. So you coin the repairs to continue but there is no saying whether that sniper will strike you again or not.

That sniper was taking sadistic pleasure in his actions at other people's expense, both financially and mentally.
  • KIX_JustMike
    KIX_JustMike
    BP Game Team
    Joined Oct 2018 Posts: 44
    Chore fleet sniping has got to be the single biggest demoralizer in this game. I watched in my world comms last night how this player was sniping people's fleets as they were doing campaigns or collecting resources. This included some poor unfortunate player's caedes being sunk. 

The people who choose to stay loyal to this game somehow find a way to cope with the expenses of the game. Some refuse to coin and others coin to the best of their ability to try and keep up. While coining is a choice, and I do fully realize that this is a battle game and this includes the snipings, the damages incurred by having your chore fleet sunk is no longer a choice and is now a financial burden. Not to mention the lost opportunity of having to sit out the remainder of a campaign if your fleet is now doomed to be in repair for the next 15-30 hours. So you coin the repairs to continue but there is no saying whether that sniper will strike you again or not.

That sniper was taking sadistic pleasure in his actions at other people's expense, both financially and mentally.
    Yeah Boss that totally sucks...give us a few weeks we will sort this out. We a poor player experience that is. 
  • NSD_Mad-Hatter_8
    NSD_Mad-Hatter_8
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 886
    edited 1 Nov 2018, 5:17PM
    Where has the strategy to the game gone?
    It has been a while since a Game Master has thread through forums o wait it has been almost 4 years
    since other staff has come to really listen to the players who play the game daily. The problem is that
    the game needs new (Servers) and more (Graphic User Interface) friendly to the users who play the game
    daily. We the community wants better game play over all balance is the one thing we need the most we 
    need.

Low/Mid end players struggle from coming up the ranks without having proper gear for defenses
    to improper fleets along with not being able to do events. Others state they do not want to waste coins
    on others if they ratio's are higher for raids/events.

Campaigns use to be more co-op we want more alliance things to do we was promised that we would
    have more things to do. The problem is that we build our ships to get resources then the game changes
    to where we have to do the process over again.

The other issue is we work hard on base defenses then they are easily defeated by high end fleets which
    again is not balanced. The future of PvP should relay on base defenses with more channels and choke 
    points. The problem now is that most bases are easily done the "High Risk" with "High Reward" has gone
    out the window. Most now do not even try within there own levels and should do so. The problem is as
    it always been take out the low/mid end players who have no way to come into the game and enjoy it
    for what it is. 
  • Wild_G
    Wild_G
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 837
    Please fix comms where it don't jump us to another comms we don't want to be in.  We should get to choose what comms we want to be in.  I'm past annoyed coming out of battle,going into my base etc etc and ending up automatically being jumped to another comms.  This glitch has been going on for sometime now.  It should of been fixed when you added other comms.  I don't understand the "All"comms it seems to be useless to have when you still got to go back to Alli or world to send a comment so those in that comms can see what you say.  Starting last week before Bounty the Spawn of FM targets seem to have been turned up.  There is so many FM targets you can't see some players bases.  I believe that what caused so many problems with the lag in Bounty not the replica bases. It's still a problem this week with the High spawn of FM targets.
  • DogStar123
    DogStar123
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,627
    Thanks for responding to my earlier post. The more I think about it the more I like my "immunity timer" idea to alleviate sniping. Completely removing the ability to snipe fleets is okay but it will have unintended consequences. I know you guys never think through your decisions so I will help you out on this one. Once fleet sniping is removed I can have all 15 of my fleets sitting out on the world map and have no fear of them being sniped? So everyone can have all their fleets sitting out on the world map all the time? I'm glad you are working on reducing the clutter from other targets on the map because you are going to have so many fleets on the map the oceans will rise and bases will be underwater.
  • Stevie22
    Stevie22
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 61
    Unbelievable that people still moan about sniping (something i don't do myself before the trolls jump in!), This is a war game, pirates sank ships for loot! those my friends are facts, the easy answer to sniping is to learn to play the **** game properly and get off targets hot if there are snipers about, jump sectors or worlds if you cant get out of targets quickly, collect your res in different sectors that are not being sniped. Guys come on learn to play the **** game instead of moaning about it, Same goes for hitting down lvl bases....please someone tell me the difference between someone lvl 129 flattening a lvl 50 base as to someone lvl 55 flattening the same base......Sick of people whining about getting hit and its so unfair and this and that...I have been playing this game for over seven years now and i get sniped very rarely cos i have learnt by being sniped how not to get caught anymore, my base is now decent cos i got flattened by high lvl players that showed me what i need to do to stop them...1 message for the whiners...learn to play the game!! As for realignment of the game easy fix... get rid of deflection....get back to weapons that do damage like they used to, % damage can be worked out easily and worked in the game for years...introduction of deflection turned the game into the awful state it is at the minute!!

I also agree with the guy who said you need to talk to more than your game pets to figure out how to sort the mess out!!

Rant over :)
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 1,172
    Fubar_17 said:
    I am going to try to respond to all questions and comments here where I am able to. I am going to do them in bulk. 

blah, blah, blah ... 

We've heard this all before. While there have been improvements  but you're saying analytics rule & the player experience is irrelevant. Thanks. Feel really valued here. Not much actually. Just like the old saying "Lies, damned lies & statistics". It's the old adage of compute ... GIGO. Garbage in. garbage out. From a personal level and amongst all theplayers with which I interact, there is much too much new content and far to many onerous chores. PvP, PvE included
    Thanks Fubar...the point of the comment was some players (here have suggested) that this game direction comes from what a certain player cohort suggests. And that simply isn't true. We analyze player behaviors to confirm assumptions and prove out theories. The impetus of an idea comes from a product owner and data colors their thinking does it drive it 100%? Of course not. For the reasons you stated. But it is a tool we use to help with the process. I just wanted to be clear that we value all inputs from all players and not one single group. 
    actually listening to my alli comms, or lack of them would give a very clear indication of player behaviour

Looking at when I last found the inclination to hit a base would speak volumes also about the number of other must do things we have in the game :(

• rita.oops
    rita.oops
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 17
    20 sectors per world  why not 50  see how it go's not like you can not change it later? you will make a lot of player's leave the game. one thing to remove dead bases,but why such a drastic cut in sectors? I for one like the freedom of being able to jump to a quiet sector. won't be non of that anymore. on the edge

• bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 8,257
    VvVvVvVvV said:
    Speaking of map fails, why don't you fix the radar map used inside battles?

My fleet is a green dot, military targets are red dots --- and if you look really, really close, you see that operations targets (docks, oil wells) are dark dots against a dark background; almost impossible to see. How could anyone who calls himself a professional developer have done that?

While it's a minor issue in resource targets like this one, it's a bigger nuisance in those maggot waanker bases that think they're being clever by placing oil rigs in the far corners of the map. They're taking advantage of the unfriendly user interface. 

While it is slightly possible to look closely at the dark-on-dark to see the remaining targets, walls are included, even though those are not targets and shouldn't be there. You can't tell if the darker dot is a wall or an actual target. 

Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to change the radar map dot colour for operational targets to something you can actually see. 

On  the plus side, drones find those remote water targets automatically, so something good was done there, although I suspect it was a side-effect. Credit where credit is due, happy accidents, not so much. 

Second map shows all military targets destroyed (no red dots) but there are still targets on the map, but too hard to see. Dark on dark is something even a high schooler would know to avoid. 

you should probably keep the whining to the important points.

otherwise when you do by some miracle raise a valid point, no one is going to listen.
  • michaelg21
    michaelg21
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 2,196
    edited 31 Oct 2018, 2:46AM
    Add another opinion on these ridiculous "shard" issue. You stated that in skilled hands the Dutchman targets didnt creat much damage-the fact remained that the MAJORITY of players saw many hours of damage from the level 13 target. But that isn't my biggest issue-it's the SHARDS. In this last TLC (mini-raid) you had to collect FIVE shards to complete ONE item. I and most find this frustrating and silly. I would be OK if it were just 2 shards if you MUST do this-but FIVE? No way. Considering the time and damage it just isn't worth it for most players to do those  Dutchman targets. Especially for new content like Gale 4 and the anti Torp special. Please consider doing away with this kind of frustrating debacle in the future.

Hi Michael nice to speak to you again my friend. The amount of engagement required to get most everything worth having, on balance, was about 2-2.5 hours of driving time. So that is 40 minutes give or take, over three days if you wanted everything (2 specials and 2 skins). If you didn't get a shard you could have gotten a decent amount of premium resources. For as good as the specials are that feels like a fair trade. The issue most people had was the level of grind to get there (80 battles is a lot, especially compared to the elite targets in the raid with a 5 minute TTK on average per set). And yes players in the 13 target that started off seeing over an hour damage per run got their runs down to less than 5 minutes with practice and good execution. On the sharding, we continue to test and tune distribution methods and it's impact on player behavior. We didn't do it just because. The thing you have to understand is that there are no random acts of content/tuning in this game. We are always trying to learn all the time. Throw a couple of GDS 4's on your gear and let me know about how much less explosive damage you take in the upcoming raids and what not. 
    Add another opinion on these ridiculous "shard" issue. You stated that in skilled hands the Dutchman targets didnt creat much damage-the fact remained that the MAJORITY of players saw many hours of damage from the level 13 target. But that isn't my biggest issue-it's the SHARDS. In this last TLC (mini-raid) you had to collect FIVE shards to complete ONE item. I and most find this frustrating and silly. I would be OK if it were just 2 shards if you MUST do this-but FIVE? No way. Considering the time and damage it just isn't worth it for most players to do those  Dutchman targets. Especially for new content like Gale 4 and the anti Torp special. Please consider doing away with this kind of frustrating debacle in the future.

Hi Michael nice to speak to you again my friend. The amount of engagement required to get most everything worth having, on balance, was about 2-2.5 hours of driving time. So that is 40 minutes give or take, over three days if you wanted everything (2 specials and 2 skins). If you didn't get a shard you could have gotten a decent amount of premium resources. For as good as the specials are that feels like a fair trade. The issue most people had was the level of grind to get there (80 battles is a lot, especially compared to the elite targets in the raid with a 5 minute TTK on average per set). And yes players in the 13 target that started off seeing over an hour damage per run got their runs down to less than 5 minutes with practice and good execution. On the sharding, we continue to test and tune distribution methods and it's impact on player behavior. We didn't do it just because. The thing you have to understand is that there are no random acts of content/tuning in this game. We are always trying to learn all the time. Throw a couple of GDS 4's on your gear and let me know about how much less explosive damage you take in the upcoming raids and what not. 
    Thanks for your response Just Mike-I now understand where I talked to you last. Believe me when I say I don't expect to have things hand delivered to me-you can see my time on this game. I personally find the shard thing frustrating-just my own opinion. But in the end, I do understand you have to try different things out with the players. I appreciate you taking the time to talk with everyone on a more personal basis.
  • stan.golaszewski
    stan.golaszewski
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 21
    you keeping asking for opinions and ideas and i have submitted many over the years never seen one acted on but i will try again  for example today i started a base warden hull with one thud and nothing else that is almost 7 days way to long, yuo either have to drastically cut build times or let us build more than one hull if we have the resources.  If i run down my warehouse i am likely to play more to refill them so i can continue to builds (see how that works)   many players get turned off by the long builds and can't afford to coin a lot (real life tends to get in the way)  we play to relax and have fun.  It is no fun when you get sniped by a guy who has a whole fleet of new ships done before raid is over because he can afford to coin like a fiend keep track of them and give them their own world( another idea for you) and keep them away from the other guys let them beat on each other. they don't like to do that by the way, they are usually the biggest crybaby's. Slow down the rate at which you introduce new hulls and tech. 3 to 4 ships per month and the tech for them is way too much at this point we are lucky if a new hull is still useful at the end of the year.

• michael_ v
    michael_ v
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 503
    how about a 4 month raid cycle thats what i reaaly like to see
  • Victor_S2404
    Victor_S2404
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 24
    If you get rid of all the inactive bases, it'll make getting alli pts each week very difficult for some.  Hitting dead bases over 80 and in an alli is the main way of getting in alli pts done.  Without those dead bases, we'll be forced to either hit loads of cargos or make a lot of enemies in other sectors.  It'll just increase difficulty to get alli pts.   A SUGGESTION:  don't delete the inactive bases that are in alliances and are over 80 in rank!!!!!  You can remove the rest of the non alliance inactive players bases.

• Dan Gibson
    Dan Gibson
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 562
    Capkills said:
    Kix_just Mike what is the discord channel
    It is a chat app where games can set up a channel(s) for the community to chat with each other in real time. It is one where the BP devs go to interact with the player base in spirited back and forth discussions. 
    Discord is impossible to get into ............after i registered the first day it was good then the next day i get dropped in some bot trap and cant get into discord since

• Timothy Clayton
    Timothy Clayton
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 29
    Good post. I am not a fan of PVP, but it is part of this game so I tolerate it, while I go about PVEing. Also I play just a little while per day, somedays not at all, so I fall behind the performance curve frequently. I don't mind dropping a little cash in the well on occasion for a game I am enjoying, so being able to buy an occasional developed fleet for $10 is a big boost to my game enjoyment. I think you are on the right track. It's not the same game as the one I started playing years ago, but that's a good thing. Keep it up.
  • dballard601
    dballard601
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 790
    Stevie22 said:
    Unbelievable that people still moan about sniping (something i don't do myself before the trolls jump in!), This is a war game, pirates sank ships for loot! those my friends are facts, the easy answer to sniping is to learn to play the **** game properly and get off targets hot if there are snipers about, jump sectors or worlds if you cant get out of targets quickly, collect your res in different sectors that are not being sniped. Guys come on learn to play the **** game instead of moaning about it, Same goes for hitting down lvl bases....please someone tell me the difference between someone lvl 129 flattening a lvl 50 base as to someone lvl 55 flattening the same base......Sick of people whining about getting hit and its so unfair and this and that...I have been playing this game for over seven years now and i get sniped very rarely cos i have learnt by being sniped how not to get caught anymore, my base is now decent cos i got flattened by high lvl players that showed me what i need to do to stop them...1 message for the whiners...learn to play the game!! As for realignment of the game easy fix... get rid of deflection....get back to weapons that do damage like they used to, % damage can be worked out easily and worked in the game for years...introduction of deflection turned the game into the awful state it is at the minute!!

I also agree with the guy who said you need to talk to more than your game pets to figure out how to sort the mess out!!

Rant over :)
    While there are ways to mitigate risk, it is a pain.  I'm not going to coin a chore fleet during non-raid times, so it knocks the player out of the game for 16 hours.  You tell me, how is that not demoralizing?  I know it's very cool to call people on forums out for whining, but if someone takes pleasure in knocking someone out of the game for an extended period, you tell me how is that a good thing?  Back in the day we sniped all the time whilst mining but we developed strategies and even if you were hit a SW fleet would be very limited time out of the games, plus the subs surfaced often, giving the player at least a fighting chance to counter the snipe.  Just a different time and a very different game and I think with the consolidation of sectors in the near term limiting sniping will be an important factor for the vast majority of players. 
  • hacker2001
    hacker2001
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2018 Posts: 13
    if you disable snipping I will stop playing, chores are so boring and hitting bases is messed up with bugs and lags
  • hacker2001
    hacker2001
    Greenhorn
    YOUR GAME BECAME LIKE FULL TIME JOB , I am not negative here, but how can I believe you, since all I saw was posts like that and promises then issues during events, a lot of chores to do and your game became like real full time job, lots of chores then FM then raid then campaigns and fly dutch man, and I am level 75 now, BUT I was sending tickets to kixeye complaining I can't do base parts because I don't have the recharged armors for it, the one in the FM is weak armor and can't help, , why you did not provide us with all needed basic armors/weapons/specials, so I spent time and efforts on your game then realized I was wrong because there are many issues that screwed my progress on the game, 1st decent ballistic fleet with decent armor, 2nd lags and big time repeated errors, 3rd high levels bullies that I can hit their bases because I can't level up to 80s without strong turrets but I can't do the upgrades as no decent ballistic fleet, , I got sky fires - Manticores - icebreakers - now building infernos - and I got betrays - and which drs - BUT I DONT HAVE GOOD FLEEET FOR BASE PARTS, so your game balance is screwed up, , you don't support us the low level, being low level I have to refit 5 ironclads with the recharged armors which I can't have to be able to do 67 base parts, , while high level can auto a 67 with 1 ship because he got the recharged armor, , this is a mess and poor way to treat low levels, and I am sure you going to do similar nasty issues in the future, raid and bounty are full of lags all the time, if your server can't handle it then reduce it, just make them like FM something weekly, reduce the chores and events, and let player have time to hit each others bases the entertainment why we all joined the game for, hitting and getting hit, but lots of events and chores made the game freeze and less actions, , I was told by many players not to believe what ever you try to say because your game had issues since the start, and end of the day we all "the players" fighting lags only, so I don't believe a word you say Kixeye you are just after money making and making the player feel bad in anyway you can, that explains why so many banned/dead bases all over the game. while you still repeat and say the same old promises which you never met and I believe you not going to meet it. 
  • hacker2001
    hacker2001
    Greenhorn
    Simply I dont believe you at all 
  • capt-ron
    capt-ron
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 38
    Can I get a button to select so I can go off world for a bit? 
  • jeff.lahaie.9
    jeff.lahaie.9
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 75
    I feel inclined to weigh in a bit on the flying Dutchman event and repair times.

Supposedly, if you knew how to drive you would see little damage. From my personal experience in that campaign, you need to know how to drive, and have the correct build. One thing seriously lacking in this game is a good way to test builds without committing the resources and time.

I researched the bat fleet builds when we first got them and didn't see any mention of including the hyper-30, most probably because people wondered if it actually worked. And for some reason, I totally spaced it on the skirmish battery. My first attempt at a 13 was over 3 hours repair and I noticed I had a very hard time dodging the canon balls. 
    After more research and thankfully having some tokens available, I added the hyper-30, skirmish battery, and switched to speed system 6. Doing so increased my speed by 10, which made it much easier to dodge the canon balls. 
    With my new speed and 48% reduced splash damage, my next attempt was 41 minutes repair. I'm not a very good driver, so I thought that was awesome. I did manage to clock in a best time of just over 21 minutes while doing them, but 40-60 minutes was my average. If I had the time and tokens, I might have added some of the evade armor to increase the speed and evade even more. 
    I was busy most of the weekend and didn't have much time to play, so I was only able to hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 fleets. Even so, this put me at #3 in my sector, which indicates that many people did not play.
    Events that only last a weekend are a real bummer for people with lives and families that don't often have time to fully participate. Events that last at least a week would be ideal.

I believe repair times as still in a bad state and should be reduced by at least 30%. The last few weeks I have done nothing but manage repairs in order to get as much done as possible. Most of my repair time was spent fixing manticores because of the high amounts of damage in the campaigns. Because I felt obligated to do the Dutchman event for the one time limited stuff (I only got 1 razor skin shard), I was only able to do one run of one of the two campaigns available. Cutting repair times will make the game much more enjoyable for a number of us.
  • john.jacobus3
    john.jacobus3
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 6
    id 439738 i spent 54 dollar for gold still cant do ticket why not?

• Michael Staten
    Michael Staten
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 426
    in my opinion justmike. from the devs to the community manager. you guys/gals are at a disconnect on the subjects alone. you misrepresent what are the issues and make the same mistake time and time again because you just dont get it. no matter how many times players tell you whats up. you are just not getting it. BP has turned into three catagories. the haves cat., the have not cats and the mid to lower players.  greed from your dev team to the bosses seem to loose site and while at times you get a fraction of action right. more times you dont. from over the top tlc which need to much coin to pass the first  tlc prize. to a person needing not only ranked but a flag ship to get the prizes. Now while getting the final prize used to be hard. it has come to our attention you pulled a fast one. you decided to make flag ships apart of the fleet and more so now we need rank and flag ship to get the first to 2nd prize pack.

get rid of the flag ships for pve. if you are stoping the production of module ships we dont need flag ships anymore for every dam fleet. you still are floating the 2 fleet measure as well as a flag ship to go with that. it is not in the players interest to have to build a pefect fleet plus a flagship and rank all of that in the short time you have again made for the player base to get all of this done. it has become a shame where if you dont spend medium to major coin you will fall behind so much that you can miss an entire raid and still be behind.
    for example.
    The FM has been around for more then 3 months and you still offer the dragon flagship for a crazy amount in the raid.

This is why players do not like you so much. your decisions are based off of catering to coiners rather then the player base as a whole. clearly you miss the point every month with these high point values in each raid. it keep the coiner player happy but the non to low coin as well as mid players are just sitting out or not doing anything but walking away is just a lack of you not reading or seeing the dang tea leaves.

your halloween event was just the dumbest action taken by a dev team since the last tlc. you just pushed something out without testing it or thinking about it in the long term ratio.  It just looks like you care about coin to much rather then players having fun and wanting to spend coin. you just seem not to get it either in dev corner or upper management. everything coming out of this game development is coin centered and focused.

Justmike if you really wish to have change and not just BS the player base then really take a look at whats wrong. identify kixeye problem and then identify player problems. i can admit that some players complain about BS.
    while at the same time kixeye has focused on coining event way to often and at times to much. i can recall a time where i needed to spend coin on a tlc at the end of such a tlc. not in the beginning of it.  you really need to take a look at kixeye's BS and constant changing of the system only to have more lag and less seat time all because oh 1 aspect in the game is doable while the major aspects are just bloody stupid in mechanic as well as kixeye just cheating out right.

lastly. IMO kix has become lazy or incompetent. BP used to have new ships for the player to fight. i constantly do not understand why each and every month i have to fight old ships which are not only cheating because they bypass the regular mechanics of the game i can use but also bypass the rules of ship abilities. example. my ships have anywhere to 55-65 speed yet enemy old ships are catching up to me or going faster. i have the latest speed gear and well if i cant get the old ships to go fast. you should not be able to make such a ship go fast. I have the latest tech and well its a cheat to bypass normal game mechanics so you can get more coin from a player all while not investing in new enemy content. in a nut shell. you have been using the same old enemy ships for more then a year. all while you bring in an income from players playing the used content. while new ships are cool to come out. you do not invest in the game like many developers have invest in real new content.

I hope you are able to read this and take away some advice to further the game and not just bring out a new ship with new gear only to be bodied by old gear and old tech. i mean really a 97% def ship should not be bodied in a tlc with old ships.
  • mlemaster3
    mlemaster3
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 46

Hello, everyone. I’m JustMike, the GM of the Battle Pirates studio, and I’m here because I wanted to touch on some of the subjects brought up in the forums recently. I would also like to go into what we are attempting to do in the game over the next couple of months.

So you are aware, I am best at speaking to large philosophical topics and not the best when it comes to delving into things such as stat block bugs. So let's start with something big, like the topic of "Players First". I’m the person who created "Players First" and, unfortunately, the intention of that initiative seems to have been subject to some misinterpretation that I’d like to clear up. The intent of "Players First" was for the team to put themselves in the players shoes and understand what that experience is like. If a feature we are developing leads to a bad player experience, or did not offer an improvement over how things were currently being handled, then that influences our thinking. I’ve seen some people on here state that nothing has been done to improve the overall player experience and I don’t believe that’s true. What is true is we haven't addressed everything that needs to get addressed. We recognize that.  

The new BP management team is one I’m very pleased with. Every member on the team has made historically great games over their careers and do play BP regularly. I won’t give away their identities, but my User ID is 1409 (full disclosure, I am a poor driver and even worse base designer, but I do love this game and I want nothing more than to give you players the best play experience possible). Facing this team is a list of challenges that are long, just as much as they are obvious. We know what needs to be addressed. We know the order. We are making progress. The roadmap is loaded with performance improvements, bug fixes, new features, and massive rebalances.

The challenge is that nothing happens fast enough. Not for you, not for us, not for anyone.

But it all starts somewhere, and ours starts with a level of involvement outside of the game. It’s said that we aren’t active here, but it’s quite the opposite. We are active - we’re simply listening. We read every post. We watch every live stream and most all shows. We review comments on every channel we are able. We also analyze the data and player behaviors tied to every single mouse click you make. We see you. We hear you. We understand you. If you have said it or typed it, we probably saw it. This includes the throngs of you who haven't played the game in the last 5 years. Your posts and comments are some of our favorites. Seriously, if you really have churned but are still here reading, we are actively working to give you reasons to come back. And for those of you still actively playing we are trying every day to give you validation for spending your free time with us.

As for the ‘talking’ part of that equation, about twelve weeks ago when CM Chris took over you immediately saw an increase in thorough and thoughtful communication. Since then we have experienced some inconsistencies, largely due to a fluctuating development schedule. We recognize that and will continue to get better and strive to maintain a high level of fidelity in our communication with you guys. The live streams will be back to a normal cadence soon, though they will most likely be monthly.  

But it doesn’t stop with CM Chris - as he’s the first to remind us. While the forums are the official messaging platform for posting information, Discord has taken a large seat in our communication avenues. I’ve seen some contention about us being more active there, and again I’ll reassure you that the forums are still the official channel for longform messaging, but the Discord server is also filled with some pretty good players, and the dynamic nature of the talks there are more beneficial to the team specifically when they are looking for general temperature-taking measures at that moment. For those who have said "nothing of merit gets discussed on Discord" here are some of the topics we have had lengthy conversations on this week:

• Fixing sniping

• How to eliminate or reduce chores

• The need for a build recommendation feature

• Pre and post combat information displayed

• The merits of co-op FMs/TLCs

• Plus many more game related topics

The people who respond to these topics are opinionated and very thoughtful. The conversations are insightful and we appreciate hearing from from the voices on there, as much as we appreciate the voices here. I think you would all enjoy the discussions, and I encourage you to join.

Now. The Future. We are putting the finishing touches on phase 1 of the PvP refactor and it should go live in the very near future. We do have a date in mind, but we are conducting play tests with various groups of players to get their feedback and analyze battle logs before we make it widely available for public consumption. We also plan on rolling out sector consolidation soon. This will include reaping all inactive bases and right-sizing art assets to make the screen not so cluttered. The goal is to make the level of activity consistent for all players and reduce travel time to some targets. We will be reducing sniping in the month of November as well. Future phases of the PvP rebalance will have massive changes to base defenses. The amount of tools you will have to design challenging bases is going to be immense. Yes, Bounty will be getting an overhaul along with VXP over the next 2-3 months. Tier 8 also offers more diverse gameplay tied to the upcoming hulls, as well as the new targets. Before you say ‘where are the specifics’, the point of this post is not to break news on features, but we thought players here would appreciated knowing the kinds of things we are working on. This, along with addressing existing in-game issues, should give you some insight as to what we are doing. I will also say that in 2019 there is going to be a strong push around game play innovation and features to give you new ways to engage with content as well as engagement with one another. Stick around, the fun is getting started. If there is something you are curious about just reach out to me here on track me down on Discord. If you want to find me there I post under “Kix_JustMike”.

One last topic that’s been on the back of everyone’s mind, changing from Flash to HTML5. This work is in development. That said, it is not the silver bullet that will magically make the game run at 60hz on a toaster of a PC while downloading various torrents in the background over a low speed connection. I assure you the non-Flash version will be done and deployed and optimized in 2019 well before Flash Players on Chrome are a thing of the past.

At the end of the day, I cannot speak to how previous teams managed this product, but I understand some of your frustrations. How things were done frustrates us too because we have to unwind those decisions. I do not expect you to believe us when we say things are moving in the right direction, and we prefer to show you. We will make mistakes. We will correct them. The game will progress. Our wins have, and will continue to, outpace our losses.

Thanks for being there with us.

JustMike.

Well Mike I am Mike also now one thing I never see much of in both the testing phase or in the first opening statements all of the posting for the most part are not like me, let me explain, I am here six + years and just got above level 100 and all that time because I work I cant spend a ton of time here, wish I had more but it is what it is. My point is we are not the best drivers as you say you are not either and we dont have all the best stuff but we enjoy the game and we spend gems, but we dont see players like us getting input on things like (just because we are not a big player can we do this with minimal damage and get a prize?) I have a ton of times gone in and had my fleet sunk because it was not skulled and even then if the weapons were not the (recommended ones) you either get sunk or have 20 hours of repair time which I get on my infernos even with raid 1/2 time repair and I know we as what I call main stream players get that voice to say this is to hard and we need to drop it to something more realistic, something doable for us regular people who enjoy the game willing to spend but not the farm, thanks for the time here.

• lee.dixon.313
    lee.dixon.313
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 45
    So with an ID like yours you've been around for a while and ads GM of gameplay it is expected, but surely you should see and experience the frustrations that the majority of the players are feeling and experiencing..?if you are actually still an active player??

What is you gameplay like? What I mean is how often do you actually play, or will your base be reaped in the consolidation process???

Would be good to know...
    I play every day. My base will not get reaped. I like to mostly base hit, but I am not very good at it. I played 2011-2012. When I came back to the game I hardly recognized it compared to the game I left. When I play now I look for/at different things than most players do. I am not min/maxer and my base is pathetic in both layout, design, and defensibility. I wish I had more free time to play more and dominate the leader boards but I cant imagine that would go over well, plus as good as you players are I truly cannot compete when it comes to ability and great hull design. I hope this answered your question. 
     "I wish I had more free time to play more", your comment Mike and a very valid one sir. One of the major problems we have is seat time which is exacerbated by high repair times for players. Just a thought..............

• NSD_Mad-Hatter_8
    NSD_Mad-Hatter_8
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 886
    edited 1 Nov 2018, 4:56PM
    The concept of "Player First" as the players intend that they are what is most
    important to the game community. As a player the intention seem to be
    directed to amp up players game balance. As a Game Master testing should
    be a key to being successful with the game and community.

The problem is that even when the community helps test on beta versions
    or before releases those reports are not handled and product with bugs is
    still released. Being a poor driver or base designer does not give you the
    strategy to what the game once was the team has lost the aspect of the
    first gate which is strategy.

Here is what should happen is going back to the roots of how to prepare
    for events, fixing bug issues, new features, and balance should all go into
    phase categories. The team should be split into moderate focus points that
    will get improvements when or if needed.

Bug Issues/New Features/Balance - Phase I

Bug issues needed to be handled in the order received unless they are
    re-occurring issues. The problem is that the team does not want to hop
    on to the major concerns in a timely manner. The team would instead
    handle minor issues. The types of bugs or issues, new features, and
    balance also needs to be categorized. 

Bug Issues - Major fixes longer down timers. Minor issues fixed on the fly.
    New Features - Content tested one month before released. Content balance upon release.
    Balance - Adjustments as needed to fairness of all players. Content balance tweaked weekly.   

Raid/Event/Mini Event/Holiday Event - Phase II

Mid month use to be when content was released here recently the events 
    are being released to soon or before time. The types of events should be 
    put into categories the down side is the release of content for older type
    hulls, equips and turrets are not retained or re-released. 

Raid/Event - New Content Release
    Mini Event - Old Content Re-Release
    Holiday Event - Special Content Release

Analyzing Data/Versatility/Validation - Phase III

Things should be processing on the fly as others would want the content
    to be ready however; speed is not the issue of how to get things done in
    quick time it is that they need to be done right the first time not have to
    go back to patching them up or fixing them over and over again.

Analyzing Data - Graphic Cards, Operation Systems, Servers, & Connection

The problem in the past is that as support looks over our systems on the 
    back end they do not get to the root of the problem. Wherefore, the cause
    of latency could be from various scenario's.  

Versatility - We the community has spoken about the versatile ways in why
    or which things need to happen. However as time goes on the issues or things
    talked about are just stuffed into a file, lost or forgotten. It is time that the game
    needs to comes out the stone age of gaming and into the new gaming era. Graphic
    User Interfaces are not suitable for Adobe Flash Player please move away into a better
    feature such as Unity for Battle Pirates.  

Validation -  Proof of evidence, images such as .jpg, .png. or screen shoots for 
    support has come to a big issue. Support writes the user not the crop images
    however; they do not understand when you put it into paint it gets cropped to
    fit. The process should not be to tell users/players to not crop it was not like
    this before we would send in the information as necessary for the issue. The
    problem with support is issues are slowly handled as before some issues where
    not handled in quick time frame. For the community to see validation on Kixeye
    side we would like support team and fair game play to be more involved and the
    issues handled in quicker time frames. 

Maintenance/Patches/Communication - Phase IV 

Maintenance should last long here is the reason why major bug issues should be
    trickled to minor issues then to issue completed or fixed. Patch notes use to be
    the thing we as the community would review however; has come to a slow process
    of what is being fixed, when it is being fixed, and time consuming to keep dealing
    with the same issue that has not been fixed.

Maintenance - Major Issues: 8 hrs - 1 day | Minor Issues: 2 - 4 hrs or On the fly   
    Patches - Moderators are key to the area of past, present, future updates.
    Communications - Is the key to the game community without it we know nothing. 
This discussion has been closed.