DISCORD v FORUM

BigBadBran
BigBadBran
Strike-force Captain
Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 970
There are currently a number of threads running, mostly about Bounty points, where reference is made to information posted on Discord. This info has then been copied and pasted into forum threads by players.
I find this somewhat unsatisfactory.
As far as I know, this forum is the official medium for game relevant communication. (I know there is a fb group too)
It's very nice that Kixeye staff visit Discord and chat with players and that can't be a bad thing one hopes.
Having looked briefly at Discord, I was not impressed and won't be going back again. Unless of course this forum is shut down then I will be forced to reconsider. Furthermore, when looking at Discord my pc defences warned me that it was potentially dangerous and I did not then download the app.

I respectfully request that all relevant game information is posted in this forum in the first instance before any other sites or chat groups.

Thank you.
May your shipyards never be idle.

How many players were banned last month? Keep the game clean.

• crimsonPERMassurance
    crimsonPERMassurance
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 215
    totaly agree tryed to download discord about a year or 2 back can't with windows 10 took ages till I could get it to fuly remove from my lapy

• Rammstein
    Rammstein
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 411
    I actually agree with everyone that the forums should be the official announcement area. There's enough bashing on the forums for people asking something thats already been asked to switch to a scrolling chat format and not expect the same there as well. That aside, just as an FYI, discord can be used through a browser with no software installed. This is the link to general chat https://discordapp.com/channels/484799381699035137/484799381699035139.
    I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.
  • VvVvVvVvV
    VvVvVvVvV
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,144
    When they first starting using Discord, the mods absolutely positively assured us that the Forums would be the authoritative reference for the game and that anything said in Discord would be echoed to Forums. 

This is a company that has lied to its customers for so long it hasn't a clue how to be honest with them. 

I haven't looked at Discord, I don't need the aggravation, but I don't see how a basic chat room format can possibly be useful for posting important game data. Maybe they're tired of players knowing "too much" and maybe they think they can enhance revenue if they keep us more confused. Although if it is just a browser window, I suppose I'll go look at it, but I sure as hell am not going to download an app. 

Don't see anything positive about it at all. 
  • DQO07
    DQO07
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 226
    All of the information is here, if its the announcement you are looking for on the 10k bounty its been at the top of the game for about... 12 hours? One trip to the forum or game will net you the information you need, so stop whining about something that only benefits the players more than a toxic forum full of whiners.
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 3,475
    DQO07 said:
    All of the information is here, if its the announcement you are looking for on the 10k bounty its been at the top of the game for about... 12 hours? One trip to the forum or game will net you the information you need, so stop whining about something that only benefits the players more than a toxic forum full of whiners.
    Who's whining now kettle?
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,718
    15 min after the event ended I had a post up.  50 min after the event ended CM Chris had a post up. 

Players wanted a direct chat line to all the BP teams, thus Discord was made a part of the communication stream Kix uses to put out information.

Kixeye_JustMike is the General Manager of Battle Pirates and has been asking questions to the community about the game and answering questions from the community about the game.

He has even logged in during meetings to get a real time measurement from the community about a topic being discussed at that time in the meeting.

Forums is still and will remain the primary messaging platform.  Discord has sections only Kix can post in where they post info also.  It also has many different rooms like the various sections of forums.

If you have a email issue and can't submit a ticket even though you qualify, Discord Community Support is the quickest way to get help from CS with getting that Resolved.

I don't understand why folks don't like it.  Is it because its new to the game and different, another chat page, another "chore" what is it?

Don't tell me "Forums is suppose to be the place to get all info BP related".

Tell me why YOU don't like it, all I'm seeing is cotton ball reasons, no real tangible reasons as to how its bad to have a live chat server where you can chat with any member of the team that is online at that time. 
  • BigBadBran
    BigBadBran
    Strike-force Captain
    @Laredo    

I don't like it as it is like some teen chat room. I was there for around 20 mins just watching and nothing was discussed about the game, it was all just personal, pally wally chit chat. Fine if you like that kind of thing. Personally, I have other ways of communicating with my friends. 

"Forums is still and will remain the primary messaging platform."   <-----Let's hope this stands/

Mods like yourself do a great job in the forum, however, perhaps being more ruthless with forum bans and warnings might create a less toxic atmosphere.  I would like to see certain elements given a lifetime ban, is there such a thing as a permanent ban? What about a three strikes and out system?

• BigBadBran
    BigBadBran
    Strike-force Captain
    Let's be clear about something before the thread develops further. I'm in no way against Discord and it's use. It sounds like it will be very useful to some. It's just not the kind of environment I enjoy. I just feel from early impressions and indications that there is a danger of it becoming the number one source of communication at the expense of the forum.

• CM Chris
    CM Chris
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 3,741
    The post was meant to go to forums as well, it just got missed. Got it out to the forums when we realized it was left out. Forums will still get all the information that Discord gets for the time being, however it's worth calling out that KIX dev team is more active there than here.

Additionally, worth mentioning that one project in the works is an in-game newsfeed that will host long-form announcements, so players don't have to navigate away from the game to see briefings, and even players that are forum banned can still get access to crucial info. If that does get implemented at some stage then that Newsfeed will be the primary location for comms and announcements, the forums will become solely a dialogue platform. For now, though, nothing about the forums is planning on changing. Just a slip.
    KIXEYE Director of Marketing
    Community Rules: CLICK HERE
    Submit a Support Ticket: CLICK HERE
  • DQO07
    DQO07
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 226
    DQO07 said:
    I used that purely as an example. There are many other instances where someone has said, "oh, it was mentioned in discord".
    Not good enough.
    I check the forum constantly when online playing the game and expect to see relevant information here first. Not having to rely on the players to bring the info from discord to here. That is the point. Hardly whining and as for toxic, well it's easy just to ignore the trolls. Me thinks your post isn't helping much by bringing negativity to the thread.
    You can find that same information regardless of what it is on the forums or at the top of the game, this has been the case always. If you can name a single thing that was posted to discord that I can't find in 5 seconds on forums: you have a valid argument then, but that isn't the case...

• BigBadBran
    BigBadBran
    Strike-force Captain
    Thanks CM Chris.

That sounds promising.

".....it's worth calling out that KIX dev team is more active there than here."  As for this though, is there not a danger of the devs getting their ears bent by the same players without input from a wider section of the player base.  I'd be interested to see what the take up of Discord is in terms of player numbers.

• BigBadBran
    BigBadBran
    Strike-force Captain
    DQO07 said:
    DQO07 said:
    I used that purely as an example. There are many other instances where someone has said, "oh, it was mentioned in discord".
    Not good enough.
    I check the forum constantly when online playing the game and expect to see relevant information here first. Not having to rely on the players to bring the info from discord to here. That is the point. Hardly whining and as for toxic, well it's easy just to ignore the trolls. Me thinks your post isn't helping much by bringing negativity to the thread.
    You can find that same information regardless of what it is on the forums or at the top of the game, this has been the case always. If you can name a single thing that was posted to discord that I can't find in 5 seconds on forums: you have a valid argument then, but that isn't the case...

It was the case regarding bounty points. Yes I know it's posted now but wasn't initially. I can't name anything posted on Discord that isn't here but you are missing the point perhaps. That is that this should be the first place that information is shared. The post above by CM Chris has now explained the full situation.

• crimsonPERMassurance
    crimsonPERMassurance
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 215
    Laredo said:

I don't understand why folks don't like it.  Is it because its new to the game and different, another chat page, another "chore" what is it?

I can understand why peeps don't like it Laredo because it is not avaliable to ALL the way forums are as I have said previous some operating systems won't allow Discord to be down loaded witch means that not can be in on the discussions also not every one is in the same time zones so it makes a two teird game as far as communication is conscerned with game Devs and Managers only receiving the opinons of some .  Thanks for creating the poll on sniping but that could be seen as an example
  • Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Chat Moderator
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 901
    DQO07 said:
    DQO07 said:
    Not good enough.

There was some talk of the spooktober event today and the items awarded from it that i havent seen mentioned on the forums anywhere...
  • carl.dutoit.77
    carl.dutoit.77
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 18
    DQO07 said:
    DQO07 said:
    Not good enough.

There was some talk of the spooktober event today and the items awarded from it that i havent seen mentioned on the forums anywhere...
    Exactly - Now we have to find a needle in TWO haystacks
  • wing-dang-doodle
    wing-dang-doodle
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 1,572
    personally i tried discord once. i dont like it but thats my opinion. i would rather all info was available on the forums as that is part of the game and i dont have to navigate somewhere else. im not a fan of facebook either so i dont use that.
    you keep whining like me but we are still here, i love broken pixels, how about you
  • michael_ v
    michael_ v
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 503
    maybe if kix spent more time fixing this game and less time coming up  with a second forum  the game would not be so crappy but hey i got  a red base now so all good dont even worry about the reel problems 
  • wing-dang-doodle
    wing-dang-doodle
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 1,572
    All of this was brought up when the old team took to posting things in multiple places as well (GDAruspex's fb page Rampages Facebook page the BP facebook page) and players made it very clear then that they didnt want to to have to run all over the place to obtan pertinent game info
    you would think somebody at kix would ask about new ideas when they are mentioned. the 1st question being, have we tried this before?
    you keep whining like me but we are still here, i love broken pixels, how about you
  • kris1019
    kris1019
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 3,475
    Laredo said:
    15 min after the event ended I had a post up.  50 min after the event ended CM Chris had a post up. 

Players wanted a direct chat line to all the BP teams, thus Discord was made a part of the communication stream Kix uses to put out information.

Kixeye_JustMike is the General Manager of Battle Pirates and has been asking questions to the community about the game and answering questions from the community about the game.

He has even logged in during meetings to get a real time measurement from the community about a topic being discussed at that time in the meeting.

Forums is still and will remain the primary messaging platform.  Discord has sections only Kix can post in where they post info also.  It also has many different rooms like the various sections of forums.

If you have a email issue and can't submit a ticket even though you qualify, Discord Community Support is the quickest way to get help from CS with getting that Resolved.

Tell me why YOU don't like it, all I'm seeing is cotton ball reasons, no real tangible reasons as to how its bad to have a live chat server where you can chat with any member of the team that is online at that time. 
    It's not that I don't like it. I just want to know where I can go to get all the information I need in one place. For the longest time that was the forums. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for another player to say something is going on and to come to forums and there is no information, only to find out later that is was brought up on Discord. It's just one more thing to keep track of in a game that is suppose to be a break from real life.
  • VvVvVvVvV
    VvVvVvVvV
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,144
    CM Chris said:
    Additionally, worth mentioning that one project in the works is an in-game newsfeed that will host long-form announcements, 
    Really?

When the game currently has so many existing bugs  that  one of the banner events has to be partially suspended because it's unplayable, you're using scarce developer resources on something that isn't needed?

And why is so much development being done on a dead platform? 99.9% of the players are more concerned about when you're going to stop wasting time on Flash and move to a modern platform, which should solve huge numbers of the issues we routinely see. 

This brouhaha over which communication stream to use just sounds like smoke and mirrors to distract us from the lack of movement on PvP refactoring, the lack of communication about the refactoring, and the torrent of endless events with ever increasing cost. Stop wasting time on small stuff and fix the big problems. 
  • AnEyeForAnEye
    AnEyeForAnEye
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 7,191
    Laredo said:

My ptn of view is simple. I have nothin against discord. By why should i be FORCED to join another chat page/program (whatever it is) to get information when for the past 7 years, both Forums and FB have been the way to go.

Where will that go. Will we have a new discussion program everytime a new one comes out ?

I understand things change, but i get enough spam mail in my in box as it is. I dont want to had to it by becoming a member of just another page just for 1 game.

Sometime i wonder if kix as made a deal to promote discord and are getting paid for it for every new member they bring along.

Bottom line, why should we use another application when it should be on forum primarily. 
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,718
    Laredo said:

My ptn of view is simple. I have nothin against discord. By why should i be FORCED to join another chat page/program (whatever it is) to get information when for the past 7 years, both Forums and FB have been the way to go.

Where will that go. Will we have a new discussion program everytime a new one comes out ?

I understand things change, but i get enough spam mail in my in box as it is. I dont want to had to it by becoming a member of just another page just for 1 game.

Sometime i wonder if kix as made a deal to promote discord and are getting paid for it for every new member they bring along.

Bottom line, why should we use another application when it should be on forum primarily. 
    You aren't being forced to do anything.

Forums isn't going anywhere and all info will still be posted here.

Discord is simply a way for folks to chat directly with a team member about a feature they have questions on.

You have been in forums for years, for years folks have asked for a way to have a one on one conversation with a Dev, CS, QA, Art or management. Discord is that way since forums is limited as to what it can do by Vanilla Forms (the platform its built on).
  • CHIACHIACHIA
    CHIACHIACHIA
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,529
    edited 25 Oct 2018, 5:35AM

not my caps

Remember Kixeye, PLAYERS FIRST!
  • CHIACHIACHIA
    CHIACHIACHIA
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 1,529
    edited 25 Oct 2018, 5:36AM

Communication in the last few weeks is falling apart. [I didn't type in caps] Players don't know where to look to find information now. The same messages are definitely NOT being shared on all channels. It makes you wonder if this is deliberate. There are very few players on Discord and messages from Kixeye are just not reaching most players. Critical information is lost as comments to obscure posts, the video chats are gone, the week ahead is gone, answers from Kixeye on forums is almost non-existent, things are not being explained, critical questions are not being answered. The game now appears to be directionless.

Remember Kixeye, PLAYERS FIRST!