VEGA Conflict - State of the Game: Q4 2018 and beyond

Shadow Wraith
Shadow Wraith
Potential Threat
Joined Sep 2018 Posts: 90
edited 10 Oct 2018, 7:06AM

Hello Rebels,

Some of you may have already seen my ID pop up in both the VC Discord chat room and the forums recently commenting and making claims of a ‘change’. I thought I should formally introduce myself and expand on the changes I have been talking about.

I have been part of the VEGA Conflict development team for almost 2.5 years and have recently stepped up as a Lead Product Manager for the game. As a Product Manager I am responsible for determining our priorities and planning the development and release road map as well as ensuring that all the different parts of the game - progression, art, difficulty, sounds, design and economy - fit together. The primary goal behind everything I do is for you to experience a fun and enjoyable VEGA Conflict every time you login to play the game.

Let's go through some of our main objectives. Some, you’ve already started to see, but most of what we’re working on should fall into place over the next few months.

Marauders:

We understand that spending time on building and crafting upgrades for your Marauder faction steals the time you could have been spending on your PVE hull progressions. To encourage more active PVP and reduce the upkeep cost of maintaining the Marauder faction set, we removed build times and crafting times for all new Marauder content starting June 2018. You will now be able to craft Marauder hulls by combining hull fragments (which are available as target drops currently in Alliance War) or by winning pre-built hull instances from event stores.

Build Times:

Waiting for 5 days to build the brand new hull you just earned from the event store, before you even add any weapon or tech, is way too long. We would rather you played the game using the brand new hull than spend that time waiting. We introduced the reduced build time with the Umbra Medusa Destroyer, reducing it’s original build time from 5 days to around 1.5 days. We will also be reducing the build times for Ogre Battleship, Phoenix and Wraith Cruiser, which will be effective after our expected scheduled downtime on the 22nd October PST.

Refit Times:

We want to encourage more active refits. changing your load-out more frequently to optimize your combat strategy, be it for PVE or PVP battles is a big part of what makes VC fun. Having long refit times for components doesn’t help achieve this goal. We are currently evaluating all refit times across the board, and will be looking to start rolling out changes soon.

Workshop:

We know that the Workshop queues can often get overwhelming. We are currently evaluating the items and the time they take up. Once we have more information, we will broadcast our plans with you. Overall, the same theme applies here: we want you to have minimal downtime waiting for things and have you spend more time playing the game.

Resource Cost:

Resources were expensive, either for buying top-ups with coins or to exchange in the event store for points. Since September, we have increased resource claim cap for events to 99 and reduced the coin cost to top-up resources by 95%. We have also been constantly monitoring the resource supply run activities to make sure the payouts match the effort you put in to farm them.

Accelerated Player Progression to XENO:

I currently see VEGA Conflict’s gameplay split into two eras: pre XENO and post XENO. Players (new and existing) who are still stuck behind the XENO Faction are not able to actively participate in any of our main events and activities. The current build and refit times of the legacy factions and their module upgrade times make it a really slow journey for them. We will be introducing new ways for players to accelerate to XENO.

Event Targets:

Since September, we changed how we look at event targets. We wanted to give you a variety of new puzzles to solve each and every event. We are putting more effort into developing fun target challenges for you, instead of a single target with just different load-outs or modifiers.

Event Balancing:

Constantly changing target difficulty is a bad player experience. Just like you, I don’t like those ever-changing target tunings. However, some targets at some point do need to be tuned, either to block off an exploit, to align them with their correct audience of players, or to nerf them if they are too harsh. Since July, we have drastically reduced our tweaking of targets once they go live. We are also improving our communication by broadcasting any changes we make. In most cases we will broadcast the intention BEFORE we make any changes on Live. Targets that have been used in an event will not be re-tuned for any subsequent runs. If we need to make changes to a target after the first event, then we will instead scrap the target and use a new one.

Legacy Tech Availability:

We will be updating our Supply Runs and Grind targets to contain materials up to AXIS and with increased drop rates. Items from the previous faction will go into a Catch-Up event where they become easier to farm (both tech as well as crafting materials).

Game Progression:

Along with a big balance on the time walls, we are also planning a big change on how VEGA Conflict progresses through each season. From Q1 2019, we will introduce the Rock-Paper-Scissor format. A short summary of how it works: Umbra is a counter to Altairians, Faction X is a counter to Umbra, and Altairians are a counter to Faction X. We will rotate between these factions each month through the next half of 2019, allowing a player’s fleet composition to use a variety of tech and open up to new strategies to defeat your foe. This will also help in retaining the value for hulls and tech you have invested so much time on.  

We have introduced Dreadnoughts, a mega-hull class which players can obtain progressively outside the rush of events. There will be more of them in the future ;)

We don’t have to adhere to the known old school hull classes of Battleships, Cruisers, Cutters etc. We will be adapting dynamic hull classes which would behave differently than the classic hulls you have interacted with before.

I will leave the rest of the details about our Game Progression for our Lead Game Designer to walk through with you.

Coin and Real Money Offers:

VEGA Conflict supports microtransactions and uses that revenue to cover all operational costs. Spending money in VEGA Conflict should always be a good experience and you should feel that you gained a significant value from your purchase.

We believe we can offer a better value for our spending players while still introducing offers at a price point that appeals to variety of spend levels. We have been experimenting with Crafting Upgrade token offers since September where it now gives you upgrade credits for 2 of your new ships all the way to MK5. This saves time, coins, and resources, required to research the crafting upgrades. For players who prefer to mix with smaller amounts of spend with some coin or queue time, we have started introducing single MK5 boxes which contains all the crafting materials required to upgrade 1 new hull from mk1 to mk5 for 2499 coins. The pricing for these deals provides a much better value than our older crafting deals where you would get materials to upgrade 2 hulls to MK5 and then had to spend coins and/or time to use them.

We have also started introducing lower price points for a lot of our offers, including the $20 time token deals and $10 Punisher deals.

..and Beyond!

The VC Team have signed up for a big task, re-balancing the game to make it more approachable as well as fun, while still maintaining a balance of new tech and features for you to enjoy. All the changes listed above are slotted and allocated to our current dev timeline and we expect them to be progressively rolled out through Q4 2018 and Q1 2019. The feedback we have been receiving from you guys has been incredible. The support we get from our Preview players is beyond recognition that my words would not do justice to. I would want you all to know, the team here in VC are as passionate about the game as you are, and we will make sure we give it our 110% so that you can enjoy the game you love!

Stay safe! Have fun! And enjoy the journey!

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 1,991

Gg first tonread later

• Zero Calling Elite
    Zero Calling Elite
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 1,603
    edited 10 Oct 2018, 7:04AM
    Good!

I think this might make Manni come back to VEGA Conflict once he thinks it is good enough.
    Zᴇʀᴏ Cᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ɪs ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ. Sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ VEGA Cᴏɴғʟɪᴄᴛ!

• Dark729
    Dark729
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2015 Posts: 69
    edited 11 Oct 2018, 12:57AM
    @Shadow Wrath

Will the rest of T7 get Dreadnoughts?

• Felix Elske
    Felix Elske
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 159

I look forward to a great year

• Ceres I
    Ceres I
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 61

Sounds like a step in the right direction

• Rogue Trooper45
    Rogue Trooper45
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 114

Wow this looks a definite improvement.

Will you be looking at repair times as well? I remember when you could repair a fleet for under a hundred coin. People were a lot more active then as the game was much better value for money.Nowadays a fleet can cost over 500 coin to repair so a lot of people will have one or two battles and then log off.

The more people that are active will mean more enjoyment for everyone, those that do not coin much will be more active and there will be more fights for the coiners. Win win win

• Got No Coin
    Got No Coin
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 710
    Seems well thought out and player friendly. The recent adjustments have been positive as well as the recent events. Looking forward to these next two quarters.

Well done.
  • KiwiKing2000
    KiwiKing2000
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 9
    This seems all well and good, but you still have obsolete ships like the destiny cruiser and rapture that once had a great purpose in low level pvp, but are now obsolete due to the "grand rebalance". However I do have to say, that all of the things mentioned in this post are great and will probably make me play the game again after a long break.
  • Banshee333
    Banshee333
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 286
    Great post. I can see the game going in a more positive direction. I've started spending money because of this which was never going to happen in the past. Great news about the ship build and refit times. I really want to experiment with different builds and try different things but in the past it's been really difficult. It was getting crazy how long we had to wait.

Reduce repair time/cost and this game will be amazing.  ;)
  • Darkseth1
    Darkseth1
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 100
    finaly ur team understand a game its for fun and without fun no revenues?that`s a series of changes which must thinkin and implemented about years ago...its a mistery how such detailes slipping out from yours hands....missing one big detail!!!refitting bay!
  • KEWLLEWK
    KEWLLEWK
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 44
    First and foremeost, thank you for the communnication and realistic update of what to look at going forward. We really appreciate addressing many of the players concerns and looking poragmatically at making an even more dynamic playing experince. The counter faction approach should make for great fun and an infinite new range of challenges. The shortened refit times will really enhnace the game expereince allowing players to fully apprecaite the ability of experimenting and fine tuning fits instead of trying to find build compromises. Finally, while it is not mentioned I hope that repair times are also address to bring them into balance with the other upcoming changes as well.
  • Atlas928
    Atlas928
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 66

Drastic reduction of new build and refit times is a huge highlight, this news couldn’t be better. As a player that stopped coining since Umbra was released this actually reinspires me to play more being motivation to play has been dropped to near zero waiting to use new ships.

• LilBasterd
    LilBasterd
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 1,991
    edited 10 Oct 2018, 6:07PM
    The primary goal behind everything I do is for you to experience a fun and enjoyable VEGA Conflict every time you login to play the game.

Workshop:

We know that the Workshop queues can often get overwhelming. We are currently evaluating the items and the time they take up. Once we have more information, we will broadcast our plans with you. Overall, the same theme applies here: we want you to have minimal downtime waiting for things and have you spend more time playing the game.

Resource Cost:

Resources were expensive, either for buying top-ups with coins or to exchange in the event store for points. Since September, we have increased resource claim cap for events to 99 and reduced the coin cost to top-up resources by 95%. We have also been constantly monitoring the resource supply run activities to make sure the payouts match the effort you put in to farm them.

Coin and Real Money Offers:September where it now gives you upgrade credits for 2 of your new ships all the way to MK5. This saves time, coins, and resources, required to research the crafting upgrades. For players who prefer to mix with smaller amounts of spend with some coin or queue time, we have started introducing single MK5 boxes which contains all the crafting materials required to upgrade 1 new hull from mk1 to mk5 for 2499 coins. The pricing for these deals provides a much better value than our older crafting deals where you would get materials to upgrade 2 hulls to MK5 and then had to spend coins and/or time to use them.

This is false, 2,500 coins for one MK5 ship is poor, that's how Altairian was, now they are 1,250 coin.

-Cliffs of why given info we have old deal is better-
    -resources are easy to get and dirt cheap to  buy.
    -crafting time reduction.
    - crafting token deals in Events and coin deals.
    -Mk2 boxes in event stores

Those are the reasons you state  the new deal is better, but those changes make the old deal better

Two Instant MK5 is not that great of a deal given the  above changes  as you try to make it appear.

That 100$ old style crafting deal can get you  **5 MK5 ships** yep 5! simply takes some grinding time which you are most likely going to do any way [during events] unless you simply blitz fleets for all event points, and with a single 20$ coin crafting deal they can be instant. Plus 2k coin left over!

"The primary goal behind everything I do is for you to experience a fun and enjoyable VEGA Conflict every time you login to play the game."
    -Then allow players to choose,there is no logical argument against it. I have an assumption of why they/you won't but i'd rather not assume it.

Also with  leisurely  play by the time one MK5 is crafted I have the material needed to start the next and so on.

The crafting module is not the bottleneck you try to make it appear to be the ship factory is and always will be.

-The obvious-
    Those who coin their MK upgrades of course it's better, but majority of players i don't believe do, its a niche group of coiners who want everything instant. So in a sense this deal benefits  even more so the coiner.

Again please allow choice or elaborate on the reasoning for taking it away. To allow players to enjoy the game the way they want to.
  • FreeMann2018
    FreeMann2018
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 369
    It sounds very nice, but now my question is this: will we see these real changes before 2019, or will we have to wait until the end of 2020?

I am sorry if my tone is sarcastic, but many times it has been said in the forum, that things will change for the better, many times, it has been said that construction times are going to be lowered (but it never happens) .. many times , it has been said that low tech / tiers will be taken into consideration (but it never happens) .. many times, it has been said that the statistics of the fleets are not going to be changed in the events (but these are changed at convenience, if players find an efficient strategy) .. many times, players report errors in the game, issues that significantly impair the game experience, errors that waste a lot of time because they cause many battles directly lost by not being able to select the ships or other bugs (but kixeye does not take this as a priority, and postpones it for months and months and players feel powerless in the face of such passivity) ..

The intentions exposed in this post are good, but I will believe them when I see them active and real in the game.  Kixeye has done a lot of damage to his game taking many times nefarious decisions, ignoring his players, who in the end, should be participants to a greater or lesser extent, in current and future decisions of a good direction of the game.

Thank you for expressing your good intentions, I hope to see it fulfilled.
    image"Don´t bite the hand that feeds you" should be the motto of any legal company
  • kamikaze_xyz
    kamikaze_xyz
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 581
    I suggest that refit time is 0.
    It's makes more fun to game play (*‘∀‘)
    http://i.imgur.com/QYnxhWI.gif
  • duane.farthing
    duane.farthing
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 149
    The bases need and I mean seriously need lots of love. That should be up there at the top of the list instead of a new faction.
  • RealGammaHawk
    RealGammaHawk
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 211
    I am glad to hear that the dev team seems to be (finally) seriously listening to player feedback. It is a shame that it took bringing the game to the brink of death before it happened, but better late than never I guess  :)
  • Andrew Miller64
    Andrew Miller64
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 194
    I suggest that everything (weapon, shield, armour,special) becomes re-usable, so you pay to build it the first time, so it doesn't affect Kixeye income from big coiners who must have the latest fleets, but once you have built those items, you can remove and refit them at will, making the fleet loadout a dynamic part of the game.
  • Sexy Foxy
    Sexy Foxy
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 494
    ....all fantastic... but too late i think.... 80% of player was GONE.... AND NOT RETURN !!
    Ex ... Mascotte Nova - Blog Vega in Italiano QUI
  • DZ1972
    DZ1972
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2017 Posts: 115
    Thank you Shadow Wraith. There's always has been (at least as far back as I can remember) a lack of communication between the game developers and player base. It seems that is being addressed, and I appreciate that. I am curious, what brought on this new attitude? Was there a change in leadership at Kixeye?  Were shareholders upset with the business performance? Glad there seems to be positive changes in the works, just wondering why now? 
  • Synexord
    Synexord
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 54
    edited 11 Oct 2018, 2:20PM
    There are mostly good news, but what does "Accelerated Player Progression to XENO"? You know many people are still having fun fvf with T5 and below tech, I hope you can balance the build/refit and craft times of T4-T5 ships too, and not encourage skipping those techs because the current times are too long.
    Player ID: 13972296 - [NOV] Nova Darkness alliance founder (recruiting fighters!)
  • Shinigami23
    Shinigami23
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 25
    #MAKEvegaGREATagian
  • Scott O
    Scott O
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 190

@LilBasterd said:
    Gg first tonread later

SHADOW, Thanks so much for the new version of things to come, one thing that needs to change is the weapons Kixeye has allowed for use on the Dreadnaught the super ship. We need the new ship to get the full range of weapons like the ones on the Sovereign if it’s going to be affective when going after the new mk2 ships for the 1000 fragments. I’ve built the ship and it will need this help to be able to get though the battles as it has only two ships in support of it because of it’s weight. Please help

• John the Savage
    John the Savage
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 956
    The bases need and I mean seriously need lots of love. That should be up there at the top of the list instead of a new faction.
    Yup, instead of a season of a new faction do a season of base content.
  • Daniel Cable
    Daniel Cable
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 52

This game is tight as hell but the slow patching of problems has made the player population drop drastically, so I hope this new lead developer can save the game because I know many people are at the end of their rope and won't tolerate much more bullshit.

• ukorov
    ukorov
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2016 Posts: 38
    1. building times for old-school factions (demon corp, iron star etc) are even longer than xeno ones, which is non sense.
    2. for xeno faction, material requirements for upgrades should resemble those for axix, altarian etc, such that a mk1 pun, for example, may be upgraded to mk2 with 20 such patterns at hand rather than one. upgrade boxes for them should always give patterns.
    3. token riot for crafting would do good.
    4. there are ship tokens available from events but none of them are for marauder ships. that's unfair.
    5. wonder if those vsec/vega fleets (except cargo ones) , which keep running out of planets around clock, should stay. Their drop rates are too low and drops are random.
    6. it is painful decision, esp to non coiners, to upgrade or refit ship factory, since one cannot build or refit any ships in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.