Sector Consolidation is not going to be a Good Thing

BlackAdder314
BlackAdder314
Potential Threat
Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 78
1.) The majority of players feel that "sniping" -- massively strong attackers hitting helpless chore fleets - is a bad thing. 

2.) The majority of players don't like in-sector hitting. Sectors become neighborhoods where players chat with their mates and most players prefer to see them as friendly places. 

3.) Lag and screen freezes are real. there has been some improvement, but it's still a recurring 'feature'. 

4.) Some players prefer less populated, quieter sectors; their style of game play isn't built around constantly griefing your neighbors. 

5.) There are a few players who delight in saying vulgar, rude, obnoxious things, simply because they can, because in games their mommy isn't watching and they can be as foul-mouthed as they want to be. 

Packing more players into a smaller number of sectors will make all these problems worse. 

There will be more sniping, more in-sector hitting, it'll be harder to filter out the potty-mouthed jerks, lag will go up, griefing will become common and comms will become nothing but trash-talking and insults. 

Like seeks like -- right now, the game worlds are big enough that players can relocate until they find a sector that works from them. It should stay that way. 

At least until after all the PvP refactoring is done and we have a fairer approach to PvP. Just packing lots of players into a smaller number of sectors might provide a short-term revenue boost as the snipers and in-sectors go on a killing spree, but in the long run, there are a lot of players that are on the fence about the value of the game vs. the irritation factor. 

You've also stressed what a 'great job' you've been doing at communicating lately -- so, pls explain to us, communicate to us, the logic and rationale behind reducing sector count. What good (from a player PoV) could it possibly do?

• Cyanide Sandwich
    Cyanide Sandwich
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,166
    I agree with most of your points here, more players per sector may not be such a good thing. IMO, instead of doing the sector restructure like WC, it would be better to idk make the 400s only for inactive bases, and move all active players to the 300s. You get less dead bases, and more players per sector, but not so much that it's packed.
    Battle Pirates
    In-game name: Cyanide Sandwich              
    Home Sector: 21                                          Ship Design Discussion Group (Open to all): https://www.facebook.com/groups/118022991724717/
    KIXEYE logic is the only logic and you ain't never logic'd till you've KIXEYE logic'd.

• Capt Daffodil
    Capt Daffodil
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 63
    Why not take it a step further and set aside one world where in-sector hitting is not allowed in the code?

Lots of players say they'd like that, what would be wrong with giving it a try for a few months and see if players really mean what they say?
  • Capt Daffodil
    Capt Daffodil
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 63
    okay I see where a PvE only world raises issues about base design - why bother to build up your base is no one is ever going to attack it?

Since we're talking PvE, we're also talking Reaver Raiders. Design more battles like that, where you get to test your base against the computer. Should be lots of room for new ideas there. 

And Bounty would still be possible. It would be all hitting replica bases, but I think those are fun, since there is so much variety to them. 

So not a total dead-end for base design, but the PvE world would be very focused on doing well in raids. That is a big part of the game. 
  • XVIII-Luna
    XVIII-Luna
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2018 Posts: 502
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 9:30PM
    I would love to seem them differentiate --worlds-- with different rule sets. [...]

While I like the concept and would like to have a PvE exclusive world, I don't think it would go anywhere that Kixeye would want it to right now.

There would be absolutely zero threat to the player base or fleets, because all PvE base/fleet combat currently must be initiated by the player. That type of world would make turrets, structure installations/specials, land tile placement, base power, guard fleets and RnD "theft" features obsolete to a player like myself who is content to play as a res pirate - Someone who would join said world and would rarely, if ever, leave it for any reason.
    I won't argue bounty since the player has to manually opt in to the event while its running.

The devs would have to create content that introduces NPC base attacks that aren't initiated by the player in order for such a world to exist.
    Started in 2011, sector 19.
  • DogStar123
    DogStar123
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,627
    Instead of getting rid of sectors they should get rid of the entire 400 world.  And if you don't jump out of that world by the apocalypse date you get reassigned to Alpha world where we always need fresh meat.
  • Corp_Hellrazor
    Corp_Hellrazor
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 1,667
    Get ready for the uproar over them removing the "dock only" bases.    :'(:'(:'(

• Sgt_Jiggs
    Sgt_Jiggs
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 125
    People who are against this don't understand the game and why it was so popular. In every good book and every good movie there is conflict but I won't get into the dynamics of a good story. Point is, the reason this game was so popular was the conflict between the cry babies who hated insector hitting and sniping and the trolls who found it fun to antagonize the babies. The drama created by this is what kept people coming back to the game whether they like to admit it or not. I loved sinking fleets and getting hate mail yet I hated it when my fleets got sunk by bigger coiners than me but that was a big part of the excitement. That is gone now mostly because we're all so spread out with the dying player base. I went to look for fleets to sink the other night and the first half-dozen sectors I went to were almost completely empty. It took me like 30 minutes to find an active sector and by that time I had lost interest. If you don't like getting hit then find a new game because that's what this game is for and consolidating the sectors and reaping dead bases will bring that back.

I am 100% in favor of consolidation.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 1,172
    I would love to seem them differentiate --worlds-- with different rule sets. There is a constant on-going fight about most parts of the game, esp. PvP. 

Why not change one of the worlds to non-PvP, just PvE only -- as an experiment for 3 or 4 months. Would that world earn its keep? Would a PvE-only world be profitable? No one knows, we can only guess. Would it cost that much to give it a try?

Gaming isn't about forcing players to play the way upper mgmt feels the game should be played. Good gaming is about listening to the players and shaping the game world around how they want to play. 

I will tell you why this is a bad idea...………………..folks will PVP then jump away so you cannot hit them
  • dave.ante.3
    dave.ante.3
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 132
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 7:50PM
    been here since black-water days it has not always been this way it was fun first couple of years comm were alive sectors were alive with fleets moving and lots of battles with fleets and bases . now it is not really a player game to have a fun battle in or out of sector but a directed acquisition of latest greatest to defeat targets designed for latest greatest tech which takes to long to build/repair . i still play but i play my game. grab what i can when i can. they should start a new player of game , at start with gunboats and work way up to top tech , player base would grow if they put back the learning growth fun aspect. 
  • BattlePirate_BlackShark
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Master Tactician
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 2,257
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 9:06PM
    To the sniping problem: KIX is probably working on it...we will se the results after the "refactor".
    It could be, that PvP ships will not be able to hit PvE ships after that PvP change.

The sectors are filled with hundreds of inactive bases, so it would be a very good action, to remove them to the "storage".
    We will not lose a world...we will still have 5 worlds after the reduction from the sectors.
    I guess, that we would even be comfortable with 75 sectors per world, so we wouldnt have overpopulated sectors.
    There are a LOT of pretty dead sectors with only a fist full of active bases, so a sector reduction would be a benefit.

I agree: to overfilled sectors will create more lag (the game has to load the high density of active bases and moving fleets on the screen)
    ...and competition, because there will be less chore maptargets (because less SSRBs)

I hope, KIX will find a balanced number of sectorreduction.

To the PvP part: We might get a tier restriction on our bases, so you will probably not be able to use the latest conquerors for all bases.
    If there is more ongoing PvP after the sectorreduction, i am OK with it.
    Pirates with weak bases only have to press the repairbutton, like all the years before.

To the Insector thingy:

The Insectors are doing their insector thingy, because they can DO it...that means: that bases they hit are probably to weak.

Its up to you, to improve your base. PvP isnt a choice...its part from the game. If you refuse to build a basedefense, dont complain!
    In the past, we had to defense our warehouses, but we lost that aspect with the easy access to resources (500% from maptargets).
    You can refuse to hit bases, but you have to defend your base.

Usually, the pirates dont come back, if the price they have to pay during a basehit is to high.
    If a PvE style player doesnt have medals and a good base, it isnt worth the damage to attack that base.
    BlackShark        Born in Sector 429

Decoding Pirateslangword "F.A.R.M." = Foolish Amateur Reaches Midgame
  • d039901
    d039901
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 652
    The fundamental issue with this game is that you've got a roughly 50/50 split between pirates who love pvp and pirates who only want to play pve and have no part of pvp.

How can you create two games within one? People who don't coin are really never going to embrace or want to participate much in pvp. It requires cutting edge tech in your baser, cutting edge tech in your base, plus all the top fleets for FM, bounty, raid, resources, etc. so that you can have the latest tech and the titanium necessary to build everything. That takes a fairly big coin commitment that a good number of players aren't willing to spend.

So really at the end of the day if those folks aren't spending they're not really customers and Kix, whether they want to or not, really can't pay attention to their needs. The ironic thing is I suspect that the vast majority of the most vocal complainers on forums fall into that category.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 1,172
    d039901 said:
    The fundamental issue with this game is that you've got a roughly 50/50 split between pirates who love pvp and pirates who only want to play pve and have no part of pvp.

How can you create two games within one? People who don't coin are really never going to embrace or want to participate much in pvp. It requires cutting edge tech in your baser, cutting edge tech in your base, plus all the top fleets for FM, bounty, raid, resources, etc. so that you can have the latest tech and the titanium necessary to build everything. That takes a fairly big coin commitment that a good number of players aren't willing to spend.

So really at the end of the day if those folks aren't spending they're not really customers and Kix, whether they want to or not, really can't pay attention to their needs. The ironic thing is I suspect that the vast majority of the most vocal complainers on forums fall into that category.
    unfortunately a lot of the so called PVE only ones are extremely mouthy...……………………………………...usually from under a bubble

• Lady-Jessica
    Lady-Jessica
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 2,218
    Milo-Ant said:
    I would love to seem them differentiate --worlds-- with different rule sets. There is a constant on-going fight about most parts of the game, esp. PvP. 

Why not change one of the worlds to non-PvP, just PvE only -- as an experiment for 3 or 4 months. Would that world earn its keep? Would a PvE-only world be profitable? No one knows, we can only guess. Would it cost that much to give it a try?

Gaming isn't about forcing players to play the way upper mgmt feels the game should be played. Good gaming is about listening to the players and shaping the game world around how they want to play. 

I will tell you why this is a bad idea...………………..folks will PVP then jump away so you cannot hit them
    Mandatory cool down timers would solve that issue. Hit some ones base or fleet you cant jump to a pve sector for a week, and no way to coin the cool down timer.
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Master Tactician
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 9:44PM
    d039901 said:

Erhm...the PvP was the MAJOR purpose from Battle Pirates, till we have got so many chores, so we didnt had enough time for PvP.
    That was the time, the PvE pirate style was born. The chores are there, to support the PvP part from the game.
    If you only play the PvE part, you doesnt fully play Battle Pirates.

If PvE style players, doesnt invest into basedefense, they shouldnt complain, if they have a farm as a base.
    Yes, you can play Battle Pirates without owning a conqueror fleet, but you have to defend your base...or to press the repairingbutton.

And its a myth, that you have to spend coins in PvP. I am a noncoiner and doesnt have problems during the bounty events.
    And my base is a pretty decent base yet...till after the "refactor", lol.
    As a noncoiner, you might not be able to break the top bases, but you will have your playground, because the majority doesnt have
    high end bases.

• d039901
    d039901
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 652
    d039901 said:

Erhm...the PvP was the MAJOR purpose from Battle Pirates, till we have got so many chores, so we didnt had enough time for PvP.
    That was the time, the PvE pirate style was born. The chores are there, to support the PvP part from the game.

If PvE style players, doesnt invest into basedefense, they shouldnt complain, if they have a farm as a base.
    Yes, you can play Battle Pirates without owning a conqueror fleet, but you have to defend your base...or to press the repairingbutton.

And its a myth, that you have to spend coins in PvP. I am a noncoiner and doesnt have problems during the bounty events.
    As a noncoiner, you might not be able to break the top bases, but you will have your playground, because the majority, doesnt have
    high end bases.

All good points. I agree with you 100%.

Are you a true non-coiner? As in you spend nothing? Or you spend a little bit here and there?
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,416
    When is info coming, this is from BP on Discord:

OCTOBER 9TH Community: Sector Consolidation Info

________________________________________________________________________________________

We are still in the speculation/discussion phase of this as a community.

We don't know how many sectors are being cut.  Folks have messaged me asking for some advice on what they should do since they are worried about their alliance being scattered when the forced move happens.  I advised them to relocate to the bottom half of the world to avoid alliance scattering, see what Kixeye's plan is and then move again if they want to after the consolidation.

What will this do for lag?  I think and what Kix has to me this will reduce lag since the server won't have to support the dead and abandoned bases, SSRBs and every other piece of map clutter it will no longer need to populate. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Making a PvE only sector/world, thats a horrible idea since this is a combat game made for us to do battle with folks around the world.  If you want a you vs AI game, look elsewhere cause this game isn't made to be that.
  • filmbryan1
    filmbryan1
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 5,775

One fewer world for punks to hide in...sweet

You will only receive my scorn from this point forward
  • Laredo
    Laredo

Still five worlds, just less sectors.
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Master Tactician
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 9:54PM
    d039901 said:
    d039901 said:

As a noncoiner, you might not be able to break the top bases, but you will have your playground, because the majority, doesnt have
    high end bases.

All good points. I agree with you 100%.

Are you a true non-coiner? As in you spend nothing? Or you spend a little bit here and there?
    I am a true noncoiner since i did start the game in 2011.

My "job" as a noncoiner is to provide a challenging base, so coiners have to coin their fleets.
    If you doesnt invest into basedefense as a noncoiner, you doesnt earn your free gameplay.

Sure, i have to invest crazy seattimes to get my stuff, but its a big challenge.

My last Bounty scores: 170k bounty 12, 140k bounty 13, 100k bounty 14 (i did stop after day 3, because i also wanted to do TLCs).

• filmbryan1
    filmbryan1
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 5,775

@Laredo said:
    filmbryan1 said:

Still five worlds, just less sectors.

Hey! I’ll call it whatever I want. If kix thinks a month is a season then I’m just fine.😎

You will only receive my scorn from this point forward
  • GenGrant
    GenGrant
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 579
    Here's an idea, why not set up worlds as factions. So for example 1-100 Ballastic bonus to ALL bases; 101-200 Penetrating bonus for ALL bases; 201-300 Corrosive . . . you get the idea. This would make for an interesting dynamic as to where you relocate to. It would also help kixeye understand which factions are not popular / underperforming.
    Winner of the following HULLS: Too many to list

OTHER PRIZES:Too many to even bother remembering
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    GenGrant said:
    Here's an idea, why not set up worlds as factions. So for example 1-100 Ballastic bonus to ALL bases; 101-200 Penetrating bonus for ALL bases; 201-300 Corrosive . . . you get the idea. This would make for an interesting dynamic as to where you relocate to. It would also help kixeye understand which factions are not popular / underperforming.
    They have live data they can pull at any time to show that.  So setting worlds for factions would be counterproductive in my opinion.
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Master Tactician
    GenGrant said:
    That would stop traveling alliances to travell to other worlds, because their bases wouldnt be adapted for the other faction bonuses.
    They would have weaker bases as the population from the other worlds.

• Raven Branwen
    Raven Branwen
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 102

if you want pve, farmville is that way. ------> FACEBOOK
  • carl.wear.3
    carl.wear.3
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 6,091
    edited 2 Oct 2018, 10:48PM
    Laredo said:
    When is info coming, this is from BP on Discord:

OCTOBER 9TH Community: Sector Consolidation Info

________________________________________________________________________________________

We are still in the speculation/discussion phase of this as a community.

We don't know how many sectors are being cut.  Folks have messaged me asking for some advice on what they should do since they are worried about their alliance being scattered when the forced move happens.  I advised them to relocate to the bottom half of the world to avoid alliance scattering, see what Kixeye's plan is and then move again if they want to after the consolidation.

What will this do for lag?  I think and what Kix has to me this will reduce lag since the server won't have to support the dead and abandoned bases, SSRBs and every other piece of map clutter it will no longer need to populate. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Making a PvE only sector/world, thats a horrible idea since this is a combat game made for us to do battle with folks around the world.  If you want a you vs AI game, look elsewhere cause this game isn't made to be that.
    So what game are you playing since BP has been an Us v AI for at least 3 years now since we got flooded with chores.