Make Forums Fun Again

Capt Daffodil
Capt Daffodil
Potential Threat
Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 63
If the game is going to be fun again, then forums need to be fun too -- not a place where just asking a question sets you up for abuse and insults from other players. 

It seems the mods do a fair job of shutting down the worst of the trolls, but there are still a lot out there. And from what I've seen it's common to insult a player just for expressing an opinion. 

If people want to insult and flame each other, do it in the game - forums should be where real human beings can come, ask questions, exchange ideas without being attacked. 
  • TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 4,519
    Yes, there are some that do that (know of one especially that never seems to truly add to the conversations) but sometimes it is the counter argument for the original post that gets attacked the most or seems to be attacked the most sometimes.
    Image result for one piece gif luffy crew"Are we friends? Or are we foes? That kind of thing you decide for yourselves! "
  • Carlos_DaPoof
    Carlos_DaPoof
    Master Tactician
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 2,104
    I agree...those guys who always say that things can be done easily and for free over and over are sure not much fun to listen to.
    " I see no solid discussion or argument. Just whining and name calling. You pose no reason or logic to back up your position and can't articulate a reason why "
  • filmbryan1
    filmbryan1
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 5,775
    edited 7 Aug 2018, 5:25PM
    The post had merit, but the minute you mentioned "real human beings" you lost all credibility. Now We can talk about flaming posts for asking simple questions. That is a fine discussion, but if you are going to do that then you also must include the people that just come into the forums and complain without offering anything to a discussion. 
    You will only receive my scorn from this point forward
  • James Leon
    James Leon
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,739
    ^^^ an innocent post from vvvvvvv_Deb_vvvvvvV and the first two replies are from major Trolls. lol  ;)
    Was it an  "innocent" post or was it a veiled insult? haha.. I agree with it being better to treat everyone respectfully but also we should be able to take  a persons opinion or answer to a question as just that.  I believe that the mods to control the forums and keep most of the nastiest out but  we also have to be able to listen to others who think differently than ourselves and allow for that difference.     I do not like the like or dislike buttons but I think it would be better to be able to say agree or disagree.
    ahava veshalom
  • TRUCULENT2
    TRUCULENT2
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 2,844
    I see forums as a 'get what you give' kinda place - attitude begets attitude. Genuine questions asking for help are often treated quite differently than someone who comes to forums "looking for help" by accusing kixeye of being deceptive or suggesting the game is broken/rigged. There are ways of asking for help without complaining or venting. It is a two-way street, often advice and suggestions are equally met with disdain because they don't fit with the OP's narrative. 
    I have a hard time believing that we are dealing with a company that is brilliantly scamming us AND entirely incompetent. 

This is a private company in a capitalist market trying to make money - your money. Give it to them, or don't - but don't fault them for trying. 
  • Capt Daffodil
    Capt Daffodil
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 63
    I apologize for not having  been clearer. 

In the game, i might sink your ships, burn your base, steal your gold, drink your rum and insult your mother -- but that's my gaming persona, the pirate i can pretend to be. It's competitive, it's not always a fair game, sometimes tempers flare.

but all that is in-game. 

In the forums, we should be able to side aside in-game differences; here in the forums we're not our gaming avatars, we're back to being real people. 

That was the distinction I meant to make. You might be my mortal enemy on the high seas, but out here, we can exchange views, discuss strategies, do some planning -- ideally....

and I understand rage at the company, many of the policies are not well thought out (I think some are outright evil) -- but it's usually very clear when someone is venting at the company vs taking it out on other persons in the forums. 

We're all just trying to have fun in a game, calling people names in forums doesn't do anyone any good.
  • TheHolsh
    TheHolsh
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 4,519
    I agree...those guys who always say that things can be done easily and for free over and over are sure not much fun to listen to.
    And I have posted how I do it like that. Have posted my builds and how I drive many-a-times.
    Image result for one piece gif luffy crew"Are we friends? Or are we foes? That kind of thing you decide for yourselves! "
  • Carlos_DaPoof
    Carlos_DaPoof
    Master Tactician
    Joined Mar 2018 Posts: 2,104
    TheHolsh said:
    And I have posted how I do it like that. Have posted my builds and how I drive many-a-times.
    You did?
    Honestly, I never noticed....

but, case in point....
    " I see no solid discussion or argument. Just whining and name calling. You pose no reason or logic to back up your position and can't articulate a reason why "
  • michael.west.750
    michael.west.750
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,598
    The problem is that GOD was taken out of school and everyone's life. Now nobody has a moral compass anymore. Nobody is able to have a civil conversation anymore. Hidden behind a computer screen, they can say whatever they want and be as nasty as they want, with no consequences. So most take advantage of that to be nasty to others. People talk to others online in a fashion they would never do face to face. Never taught right from wrong. Never taught how to be civil in a public setting. This isn't just kixeye forums. It's the entire internet from people around the world. It's a humanity problem and when people had GOD in their lives, people were not this way.
  • Cyanide Sandwich
    Cyanide Sandwich
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,166
    The problem is that GOD was taken out of school and everyone's life. Now nobody has a moral compass anymore. Nobody is able to have a civil conversation anymore. Hidden behind a computer screen, they can say whatever they want and be as nasty as they want, with no consequences. So most take advantage of that to be nasty to others. People talk to others online in a fashion they would never do face to face. Never taught right from wrong. Never taught how to be civil in a public setting. This isn't just kixeye forums. It's the entire internet from people around the world. It's a humanity problem and when people had GOD in their lives, people were not this way.
    You HAD to open that Can O' Controversial, didn't you?

My reply will probably lead to the thread getting closed, because of no controversial topics in the forums, so sorry OP.

But not for nothing, "God" doesnt dictate the person I choose to be, how i'm brought up by my parents, the people I choose to surround myself with, and how I choose to show myself off in the world dictates the type of person I will be. Some magical being in fairyland doesnt decide any of that. Honestly, the absence of "God" is really not a reason to blame for how people are, let's not forget that people wage wars in the name of "God" (crusades, Jihad, etc), if anything, the removal of "God" from the public eye is a benefit to society than a detriment. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, OP, Robot.
    Battle Pirates
    In-game name: Cyanide Sandwich              
    Home Sector: 21                                          Ship Design Discussion Group (Open to all): https://www.facebook.com/groups/118022991724717/
    KIXEYE logic is the only logic and you ain't never logic'd till you've KIXEYE logic'd.

• KIXEYE CM Robot
    KIXEYE CM Robot
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 3,827

But not for nothing,
    Are you from the East Coast Cyanide?

If I don't respond to your PMs please don't be offended, CMs get a lot and aren't able to respond to them all!

Beep. Boop. Having a problem? Submit a support ticket: https://www.kixeye.com/support/#!/

• Cyanide Sandwich
    Cyanide Sandwich
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,166
    edited 7 Aug 2018, 10:15PM

But not for nothing,
    Yup, I'm from New York, specifically from Long Island.

Why, is that an east coast saying?
    Battle Pirates
    In-game name: Cyanide Sandwich              
    Home Sector: 21                                          Ship Design Discussion Group (Open to all): https://www.facebook.com/groups/118022991724717/
    KIXEYE logic is the only logic and you ain't never logic'd till you've KIXEYE logic'd.

• dballard601
    dballard601
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 703
    Talking about an invisible sky father IS good. clean fun and will restore moral integrity to the BP community.  Let the good times roll!  : :p 
  • KIXEYE CM Robot
    KIXEYE CM Robot
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 3,827

But not for nothing,
    Yup, I'm from New York, specifically from Long Island.

Why, is that an east coast saying?
    I believe so yea.

If I don't respond to your PMs please don't be offended, CMs get a lot and aren't able to respond to them all!

Beep. Boop. Having a problem? Submit a support ticket: https://www.kixeye.com/support/#!/

This discussion has been closed.