Letter from Will Harbin about the Future of Battle Pirates

CM Major_Rampage
CM Major_Rampage
KIXEYE Community Manager
Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 1,257
edited 16 Jul 2018, 10:04PM

May 2nd marked the seven year anniversary of Battle Pirates - a game I'm incredibly proud of. Over the years we've seen exciting new factions, incredible player tributes, and tons of emergent gameplay. But if there's one thing I've learned in my tenure, it's this:

Complacency is death.

Unfortunately, Battle Pirates has become a bog of complacency. A lack of diligence has allowed balance-breaking bugs to escape and go unnoticed for months. A lack of community engagement has caused us to lose touch with the speed that players can realistically progress. A lack of planning has forced the team to wildly over-tune stats, targets, and events in order to shoehorn value into new content.

All because of complacency. Well, complacency isn’t going to cut it and it’s time for us to right this ship. So what are we doing to fix this?

First, I’ve put a new leadership team in place. Our issues don’t stem from the talented individuals working long, difficult hours to execute on the nuts-and-bolts of the game, it’s about how we’re deploying those resources. Heading up that leadership team is our new GM, Michael Rubinelli. A State of the Game post will go up in the next few weeks in which he will discuss the long-term look for Battle Pirates. Additionally, our new Lead Designer WrongThinker will be putting up a post on Wednesday introducing himself, as well as the second part of our correction strategy, which I will now spoil.

Battle Pirates has adopted a philosophy that dictates everything we do. It’s simple: “Players First.” Content and features will continue to ship, because that’s how the game is supported, but with every new feature, we will always ask: how does this enhance the player experience? How does this make a player’s life better? Easier? More fun? If the only answer to why we’re putting something in the game is money - I don’t want it in the game.

Finally, we’re tripling down on our community engagement efforts. Expect to see more developer presence, more AMAs, more live streams, more unadulterated proof that the Battle Pirates team is exactly as invested in the continued success and longevity of this game as you are.

The fact that we’re in this position is no one’s fault but our own. The time of complacency is over. You’ve shown us that you’re here for the long haul, and it’s time for us to show you that we’re here for it too.

Long live Battle Pirates!

Will Harbin

CEO

If you have technical questions, please submit a ticket here.
Having trouble submitting a ticket? Try this link.
Not sure about the rules
  • DogStar123
    DogStar123
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,627
    edited 16 Jul 2018, 10:12PM
    Can you hire someone that can anticipate unexpected consequences? I'll volunteer and I'm cheap. As long as I don't have to move to SF; I already did my time in the Tenderloin and I'm not going back.

EDIT: And me being able to post here just goes to show how much you need me on the team. lol.
  • sinista
    sinista
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,752
    Think I've heard this before.  *adopts a wait and see attitude*
    When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • RandySpeedo
    RandySpeedo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 317
    Rampage, has Destro's account been suspended? Only reason I can see why he didn't post personally.
  • CM Major_Rampage
    CM Major_Rampage
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    Joined Jul 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Can you hire someone that can anticipate unexpected consequences? I'll volunteer and I'm cheap. As long as I don't have to move to SF; I already did my time in the Tenderloin and I'm not going back.

EDIT: And me being able to post here just goes to show how much you need me on the team. lol.
    This thread has been intentionally open for comments.  
    If you have technical questions, please submit a ticket here.
    Having trouble submitting a ticket? Try this link.
    Not sure about the rules
  • Please Bring back the old Drac Bases and DUBS at least

• TheDragon
    TheDragon
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,164
    edited 17 Jul 2018, 1:02AM

Please whatever you do STOP just stop with the "helping the players" bulldoodie speech.........why? Because you say one thing and do the opposite.

Example. Expeditions, ssrb, fm......you already tried and failed horribly.

• kobe1312
    kobe1312
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 53
    Every Raid I see Will Harbin become Will Ferrell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T095mFdW8
  • John Phillips
    John Phillips
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 42
    How long have players been saying this and it has fallen on DEAF ears.  :(   Nothing new here.......you are going to have to wait a long time to get a slap on the back for any changes that go on in the game.  Credibility comes with consistency of action....not with words.  Words are only a start.....so now that you have started we will wait to see if your actions will be consistent.  Be ready for players who will not trust that you are going to follow through.  You have made this reputation - hope the game is around to actually see something come of this.  A lot of people have left because of the crap this game has done.  I have weathered lots of stupid storms in the game.  Didn't fall for most of the crap....cut back and cut back till basic playing now only.  There won't be a lot of time for this "change" to take effect.  If you mess this up I will cut the last thread and walk away.  I am long time player and on last thread.
  • McFcuk
    McFcuk
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 139
    it took you 5 years to write this that was the last time you spoken to us. On the BV show you lied through your teeth back then as well 
    i like to see things go BOOM 
  • David_T57
    David_T57
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 9
    Quit listening to all the high lvl players/coiners and pay more attention to the mid lvl players there's more of us then there is of them....
  • EatMyArsenic
    EatMyArsenic
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2017 Posts: 112
    McFcuk said:
    it took you 5 years to write this that was the last time you spoken to us. On the BV show you lied through your teeth back then as well 
    I remember that speech. I remember will saying something along the lines of not selling skins. Or decorations. And within two months, skins came out for the interceptors and the atlas cruiser.
  • RandySpeedo
    RandySpeedo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 317
    TheDragon said:

Please whatever you do STOP just stop with the "helping the players" bullshit speech.........why? Because you say one thing and do the opposite.

Example. Expeditions, ssrb, fm......you already tried and failed horribly.

I was skeptical about expeditions, now I send fleets on em all the time. ssrb are doable more so than the first drac bases were when they were released.
    My major gripes:
    1) Constant fiddling and upping damage is a pita in the FM targets
    2) PvP is binary, ether you **** ev1 or are a farm. Not sure if this can be fixed without completely rethinking the ship class system
    3)  Fleet limiting targets, I have a theory that correctly built nix's would perform well in 100 raid targets. Can I try it... no!
  • ZEROCOOL6932
    ZEROCOOL6932
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 182
    Glad i gave up the game 2 months ago i just log on once in a while to say hi to old friends , by no longer playing  and coinning i have saved over $600.00 . all i can say is gl to those who chose to still play and coin in this dying game 
  • montgomery scott
    montgomery scott
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 189
    I gave up on getting anywhere on this game a long time ago. I quit spending money on this game because of the lack of fun. 
  • neptune_war_god
    neptune_war_god
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 219
    well i havent been on the game for over 4 months now , dont miss it or the bull about this and that changing- it has gone crazy, lies, not to mention 1000 MPH switches between things, waaaaaaaaaaaaay to fast for me and lost interest and the fun...... doubt I will be back unless you prove to us this is not just more words - As the old saying goes, Words dont come easy but in the case of the game its what we have been fed  
  • Theoz
    Theoz
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 20
    Believe it when I see it. Personally I see no point continuing or even adding live streaming / casts - Who wants to sit through all that crap when you don't have any chance of obtaining the Hulls or achieving the points. Knock it off.

Cut build times and make the event/s achievable, even if you are having to catch up. I don't mind slogging away at a few targets for Uranium, but when you nerf them and the whole fleet sinks to the bottom within seconds it does make the player feel rather despondent. 
  • Eric_H898
    Eric_H898
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2015 Posts: 6
    how about you stop putting out so many gd hulls we cant keep up.here your are saying your putting players first yea you constantly reward the big time coiners been like that for years its not a level playing field what so ever for the players that coin little or not a all are always on the short end of the stick this is something that needs to be addressed
  • Terry Wolf
    Terry Wolf
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 61
    Will believe it when I see it. A note from a guy who says he is "proud" to be a sociopath (quote from Harbin interview) inspires me not. 
  • VvVvVvVvV
    VvVvVvVvV
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,144

A lack of diligence has allowed balance-breaking bugs to escape and go unnoticed for months. 

Unnoticed? Players have been screaming their heads off for month after month about the bugs. That goes far beyond "complacency" to willfully ignoring us. 

You can't say you didn't know about the bugs, but as long as you were making money, we were just rabble to be fleeced. 

And you think we're going to trust you now?

• KAOS KODE
    KAOS KODE
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 157
    How about less chores, less content, more battle, more fun. You guys are losing so many players everyday. There will be nobody left to play your game soon.
  • Osprey 1362041
    Osprey 1362041
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 6
    It's rather difficult to say anything positive to this, even as I want to.  Talk is cheep, progress is painful, and change only happens with time.   We'll see...
  • islandhobbies
    islandhobbies
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 55
    my 2 cents. Utilize proficient and intelligent battle pirate players to help sort thru game mechanics before its released. Also utilize them for constant feedback after release. I have been fortunate to play with some real thinkers and learned a lot from them over the years. I am sure they are many possible candidates across the spectrum of player base and alliances. To be the best you must get the "Best" on your team to consult. Also Don't judge players upset at the game because they had every right to be upset IMHO
  • A game
    A game
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 955
    Here is a thought...stop trying to SELL everything to us and concentrate on making the game fun again like the good ol' days...we don't need a "store" to buy things.  The tech gap and target difficulty geared towards players with the "top tech" effectively leaving other players with slightly lower tech in the dust needs to be leveled out even if granting those lower players with higher tech free of charge is done to balance the playing field.  Drastic measures need to be taken asap and I'm sure other players will give more suggestions on how to balance and improve the game...  I just wanted to give a couple cents before I take the long walk....carry on mates.
  • sebastion41
    sebastion41
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 259
    edited 17 Jul 2018, 5:31AM
     I doubt you can plug all the holes in this sinking ship but good luck, I hope you do.

More bullcrap isn't going to pacify anyone so I am as skeptical as everyone else, actions this time, not words.
  • Trevor_Gauge
    Trevor_Gauge
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 23
    I left the game for 16 months with only logging in once during that time period. I was happy not dealing with the lies, the bs and was saving some serious money. I just recentely came back about 2.5 months ago and yeah I spent some money that was a bit more than I wanted to spend to be able to get something to semi be able to make it on my own again. The constant changing of damage in targets, the new hulls almost every week is utter crap. All that does is make it so those who drops hundreds if not thousands a week or more in a month continue to stay on top of the game and pushes everyone to the point of not even caring and just leaving the game all the way around. The limitations for all this class specific crap is some of the dumbest stuff ive seen happen to this game. Yeah some of em are worth it but the rest are bs. I myself will actually believe this when i see it happen and not turn into more lies like it has been for years now.
    Wolfpac4LIFE
  • hanz heizer
    hanz heizer
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 1,006
    Just words,not more.

• VvVvVvVvV
    VvVvVvVvV
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,144
    Battle Pirates has adopted a philosophy that dictates everything we do. It’s simple: “Players First.” Content and features will continue to ship, because that’s how the game is supported, but with every new feature, we will always ask: how does this enhance the player experience? How does this make a player’s life better? Easier? More fun? If the only answer to why we’re putting something in the game is money - I don’t want it in the game.
    If you think that an unending torrent of new "content and features" is the only way to make money, then you haven't learned a thing. 

Every time they frakked us over before, there was the usual BS about "enhancing the game for a better player experience". It was lies then, why should we expect it to change now?

Absolutely the biggest thing they need to address (After the bugs) is to make a game it is fun and inviting for new players. Show me how you can find "fun" in being level 50 and stomped on by level 100 players. 

Show me how you are going to make the game "fun" for small spenders without boring the whales. 

Show me how you're going to bring back the vibrant player communities we used to have, back when the game was something to look forward to. 

Show me this isn't just another fancy PR campaign and in a few weeks it'll all go back the way it was. 

This game has been on a steady decline for the last few years, given what I've seen in that decline and the regular staffing turnovers we've seen, convince me you're in it for the long haul, because this game can't be fixed overnight. 

• lee.howard.902819
    lee.howard.902819
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 134
    "Players first"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Somebody please go kick that jukebox. Seems to be stuck in an old groove.
    USMC_M-60
  • leewill31
    leewill31
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 306
    The one that stands out for me mostly is the amount of fleets we need to build to resource chase as a small to moderate coiner its just not possible to build 4/5 different fleets for resources then on top of that keep up with base fleets/raid fleets/fm fleets its gone beyond crazy.
  • Shadow527
    Shadow527
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 635
    "If the only answer to why we’re putting something in the game is money - I don’t want it in the game."
    Image result for you serious gif
This discussion has been closed.