I'll say what Kixeye won't here. And most of you won't like it! :P

DQO07
DQO07
Minor Nuisance
Joined May 2012 Posts: 221
edited 5 May 2018, 5:11PM
There are so many completely ridiculous complaints about this game. From constant bugs being Kixeye's fault (along with the stupid argument that they purposefully put them in the game LMAO), to the game being pay to win (it is, that is the market direction they took, fully legal, take it or leave it), and that the game is faster than it has ever been (yes but again you have no control over that so why bother saying anything?).

First I want to preface this with saying that I am an avid gamer who is 23 and has been playing video games since I was a child, and the reality is, I know the ins and outs of what gaming companies do, and how they market. I have played every single genre of game enough to be able to identify a game immediately based on how it is setup to figure out this: what can I expect in this game from a marketing standpoint? This is not hard to do, there are really only 3 types of marketing strategies, each with sub-strategies that work well. 

The first is a one time payment strategy like most games were. You would pay for the game and get all of the content, however there is a flaw here, there are never updates to the game that add content (well there are some but its few and far between). 

The second is subscription based, where you pay a one time fee, then you pay another fee monthly to get additional content, and to allow you to keep playing. Didn't pay this month? Have fun not playing. This is becoming exceedingly less successful because it is an outdated way of paying for a game. 

Then there is the "free to play" market (we are going to negate the advertising route of this, as BP doesn't use it). This is where Battle Pirates is, and this is what people have no clue about who play this game, based entirely off of forums. Free to play, doesn't really exist if you think about it. The common phrase "nothing is free" is really true. You could technically play this game free, however, if you did not start 7 years ago, you will be forever behind. This is a reality, if you started in the last couple of years without thinking you would have to commit money, you are just XXXX, this is not even a question anymore, you are XXXXX compared to the average population. Free to play market is the same across all games, you have to pay to catch up, this is reality, this is not something invented by Kixeye, this has always been the case in every single free to play game EVER. The reason for this is because developers want to push the game FORWARD (creating new content to get more money, cause you know they are a business after all?????????), NOT KEEP GOING BACK AND HELPING NEW PLAYERS, when they can just get help getting the new stuff. Going back and helping new players, is unfortunately how you lose money. Gaming is a business, if you think this is false. The reality of this game, is that you can catch up without spending money, make friends and they will help you do so, however, it is faster to do it with money, duh! This is not negotiable, there is nothing you can do or say to change this, stop posting on forums thinking you can change a business's direction in gaming. It works for them, they are going to keep doing it. And even if everyone stops spending, they will just stop the game as its no longer profitable, like any business would in the real world. This is take it or leave it, so make your choice.

Let's talk problems with the game next now that you actually understand the direction of the game in general and that it is a take it or leave it deal. Bugs and things not working properly are Kixeye's fault, HOWEVER! It's a flash game, blame flash for all the problems, if this was client side there would be almost no issues (of course there will still be issues, its a game for fck sakes). Flash is incredibly hard to code to be stable. The moment that you understand this, is the moment you can stop saying that Kixeye purposefully puts the bugs in. Now I'm not entirely sure which route Kixeye takes, but I think all the coding is done outside of flash and then just imported. This is the ideal way to do it, and is the most stable, but it still isn't stable, you are going to have issues with flash, in fact you can find a way to break any flash game, no matter who made it lol. Stop with the ridiculous accusations against Kixeye in this circumstance, cause if you make them you just look stupid as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The reality is, there is not a single game on the planet without any bugs. And 99.99% of them have many many bugs. It could be as simple as eating a keyboard input, and could be as severe as losing the entirety of the progress in the game (yes this happens in alot of games, you think its bad here, wait till you put in 6 months of work only to lose it all and have the developers ignore you). Stop XXXXXX XXXXX, this game is fine in this sense, and you almost always get more than enough compensation for what you lost. 

As a side note between points, in every game but this game, balance changes are not liable for compensation, this is the first game where I have seen support give compensation for a balance change. Thank Kixeye for this, they do not have to do it at all, in fact they choose the option that most companies don't choose here. 

In final, this game is not perfect, hell even the developers know that. However, it's pretty **** good. I understand it can be frustrating going into a game and having to spend money to catch up, but it is apart of the gaming world and we just have to live with it. I think I would rate this game 8/10, and its within my top 20 games. The reason for this really is the sesspool of absolute fcking garbage out there, and it seems to me that the people who complain constantly, or throw stupid accusations at Kixeye, this is their first or second game, and they expect things to be perfect. I just hope that they take me seriously in everything that I said, because I actually understand this area of the world very well. 

Just remember, if you think this is bad, don't play other games, cause it only gets worse from here.

MOD EDIT: Changed and removed some wording that violated the forums posting rules to keep this open.  Laredo

• Geronimo1964
    Geronimo1964
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 107
    Great piece and very well put

• Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,414
    zantil said:
    So much text, so little to say wow. 
    Yes, bugs are bugs. Yes, all games have them. But, thats not the point of most complains. The points usually are "if the bug cost KIX coins, it's fixed within hours, if it cost players coins, it can take months to fix, if ever."

But it's not it. You simply fail to address the issue that MOST complains is about.

The compleate LACK of communication from KIX - that NOONE knows what direction KIX takes the game. We have a CM that DOENST post anything relevant at all.
    The CM does live streams on FB weekly telling about upcoming stuff and changes.
  • Night_Runner
    Night_Runner
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2017 Posts: 150
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:
    Yes, bugs are bugs. Yes, all games have them. But, thats not the point of most complains. The points usually are "if the bug cost KIX coins, it's fixed within hours, if it cost players coins, it can take months to fix, if ever."

But it's not it. You simply fail to address the issue that MOST complains is about.

The compleate LACK of communication from KIX - that NOONE knows what direction KIX takes the game. We have a CM that DOENST post anything relevant at all.
    So what you're saying is that everyone needs to go somewhere else to get the information for this game instead of the game's forums? Then why on earth does this forum even exist? The forum is designed so players can gather at a certain point and obtain/share information. How are players supposed to take Kix seriously when they don't even use their own stuff?
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    edited 5 May 2018, 5:00PM
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

So what you're saying is that everyone needs to go somewhere else to get the information for this game instead of the game's forums? Then why on earth does this forum even exist? The forum is designed so players can gather at a certain point and obtain/share information. How are players supposed to take Kix seriously when they don't even use their own stuff?
    No, the percentage of players that visit forums is less than 10%.  The majority of players get their info from FB groups.  He is doing this to talk directly to the players on the platform most are using to get their BP info.  

Forums is currently going through a transition, as you may have noticed the trolls have started going away.  We are wanting to bring forums back to its former glory of actually being useful for the majority of players, not the minority of players.  This won't be a quick process but it will happen.  Then the CM can point players towards forums for new info from a FB post.
  • Spack
    Spack
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 2,202
    Laredo said:
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

.  He is doing this to talk directly to the players on the platform most are using to get their BP info.  

You mean where he's less likely to get asked the tough question? Most players get their info by word of mouth and trial and error by the way. Build information and tactical tips are few and far between on facebook groups.
    DESTRO said: 
    The Almighty Spack

KIXEYE Swag said:
    Spack is actually my Tyler Durden.
  • alex.stanham
    alex.stanham
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 828
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

for example laredo , instead of talking about next bounty that we just got , there are more important stuff we need to know , example why now its offered missiles for mantis and all components for missiles , when manticores first release were offered scatter, why dont just an example clear all the info why now we offered missiles, so we build scatters mantis or missiles or we need 2 fleets for them , thats an example were important info is hide , weres a video showing a manticores missiles working in same targets , so we can check which one is better , so we can decide now , we go with scatters or missiles ,confusing and no info , so tell me you give info every week of what ??? we need clear and better info 
    DarKCloWn
  • KillerChrome7
    KillerChrome7
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 391
    As Much as I like the idea of CM rampage's videos, the information he gives to us has been sparse.
    For example, last video, we saw:
    -Current TLCs 
    -The skin and name of next conqueror hull, and when it is coming out.
    -The bounty is changing and it isn't final as to how, something about when you can lock. 
    -1 player question answered
    That was it.... 5m30s.  
    This barely qualifies as interaction between kixeye and players. Highly disappointing.

Endlessly Deep Diving,
    -Cuttlefish

• Laredo
    Laredo
    edited 5 May 2018, 6:50PM
    Spack said:
    Laredo said:
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

.  He is doing this to talk directly to the players on the platform most are using to get their BP info.  

You mean where he's less likely to get asked the tough question? Most players get their info by word of mouth and trial and error by the way. Build information and tactical tips are few and far between on facebook groups.
    The CM isn't a Dev, most of the questions you want to ask the CM (I heard the Crib show last night btw) he can't answer.  So your "tough" questions will need to be asked to GDR.
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

for example laredo , instead of talking about next bounty that we just got , there are more important stuff we need to know , example why now its offered missiles for mantis and all components for missiles , when manticores first release were offered scatter, why dont just an example clear all the info why now we offered missiles, so we build scatters mantis or missiles or we need 2 fleets for them , thats an example were important info is hide , weres a video showing a manticores missiles working in same targets , so we can check which one is better , so we can decide now , we go with scatters or missiles ,confusing and no info , so tell me you give info every week of what ??? we need clear and better info 
    You don't need both fleets unless you just want to build them.  There is only 1 T8 target.  But if you do decide to build them both with the flagship, you can since the raid will have a redeem cap of 2 on the flagship.
  • Spack
    Spack
    Master Tactician
    DQO07 said:
    There are so many completely ridiculous complaints about this game. From constant bugs being Kixeye's fault.

Who's fault are they then? I fail to see the ridicule in these complaints?
    DESTRO said: 
    The Almighty Spack

KIXEYE Swag said:
  • KingMillo
    KingMillo
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 60
    Okay so my question would be does Kixeye coders have no way to test after they add codes to Flash Players? Explain to me how in a siege raid cycle that on the 2nd raid of cycle the targets are fault free and with in a day have a double turret issue? Seems to me if somethings coded and added to flash player program that it would not turn faulty..Seems to me it would be faulty right off the bat..I am not trying to call anyone out or belittle anyone but plain and simple want to understand how this works,How does Kixeye push out a coded program no sure if its gonna work when added to another program? Should those of us be entitled to a refund since what kixeye informs us will be the route to go unknowing if its going to work? 
  • jschlueter1
    jschlueter1
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2015 Posts: 502
    Spack said:
    Laredo said:
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

You must not be on the TFC page or website much then.
  • Spack
    Spack
    Master Tactician
    plenty jschlueter1 said:
    Spack said:
    Laredo said:
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

You must not be on the TFC page or website much then.
    You must be a page admin oblivious to the fact you're being used as a PR tool.
    DESTRO said: 
    The Almighty Spack

KIXEYE Swag said:
  • alex.stanham
    alex.stanham
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 828
    now getting x5 times more damage attacking bases than before, so now its a baser for a base , so both are destoy , even pvp had been killed , clap clap nice job kix 
    DarKCloWn
  • visaga
    visaga
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 136
    For PvP, developers think like a mathematician - if you put one hand in boiling water and other on ice block, you will be fine as the mean of the two is "comfortable".

Balance doesn't mean alternating between 2 extremes.
  • cripple leg dawg
    cripple leg dawg
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 367
    edited 5 May 2018, 9:49PM

thanks for the lecture
  • Yanusal
    Yanusal
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 878
    While I appreciate what was being offered here this appears to be a blanket statement regarding how things work and there are many sub-layers within business models. I did get a chuckle out of this being prefaced with a statement regarding how much experience lead to this belief. I am 58 and have been working with games on computers since computers took up entire buildings, not just minor space on a desk. That is experience.

However, that said much of what was posted was well written and articulate. But the complaints directed at Kixeye regarding the use of the free to play model in their case remains valid from a players expectations. Any free to play game out there is going to face a disgruntled faction that want what that statement says, free to play. This is not valid in the business market but it is what it is.

I simply think that sometimes Kixeye gets a little greedy with what they are pushing through. The cycle of the game needs to slow down to allow a player to enjoy the game, not just catch up. There is such a large number of chores and so many directions to think about to play this game that the enjoyment is being left behind.

Not start to a valid discussion however. ;)
  • michael.west.750
    michael.west.750
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,598
    edited 5 May 2018, 10:39PM
    Truculent2 flagged my post as a troll post. I don't believe it was and I had every right to call out the op for belittling and insulting users. So how do I flag Truculent2's flag for being a troll flag?

I've never even seen Truculent2 even post on anything. All this person does is go around flagging my comments. How do I block this user to stop the abuse?

To avoid having Truculent2 flag this post for being off topic, I believe the op had some good points. 
  • carl.wear.3
    carl.wear.3
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 6,081
    @DQ007

Where to begin with this one?
    The constant bugs. It certainly feels like there are constant bugs, and what doesn't help is when new content keeps getting added without existing bugs being fixed and the new content just adds MORE bugs. It would be nice if they would have a break from time to time to bugfix instead of flooding the game with more content.

Player complaints. So you are saying the players should just bend over and take it all the time? 
    At times its like Kixeye is a naughty child constantly pushing boundaries to see what they can get away with and if nothing is said then they just keep pushing. Build times keep creeping up; repair times keep creeping up; chore times keep getting longer. Its like kix keeps pushing to see what they can get away with until the community revolts and then Kix knows they went too far and ( usually) back off a little. But you think we should just shut up and take it? If we did that all the time the game will be an even bigger mess.

Flash.
    Flash was never designed for this type of game. It was designed for playing video clips in advertisements; not video games.
    At least 4 years ago, maybe more players were asking for kix to transfer BP to HTML but they refused. So now that they have finally decided to catch up with the times and convert BP; there is an additional 4+ years of coding / additions to BP that has to be recoded. { Now if they had only done it 4 years ago}

Kix is a business.  No Kidding. What doesn't help is they insist on charging premium prices for a OLD product. $75.00+ for ONE virtual ship, ( usually need at least 3 in fleet for it to be effective) does NOT encourage most players to coin. And then when we see more and more content that usually requires coining to do them ( bounty; TLCs and now FM) players start thinking COINGRAB. They need to REDUCE the cost to play this game to encourage more to want to coin instead of just targeting the 1% of big spenders. 

Helping new players is how you lose money.  Um NO its NOT. If you don't enocurage new players to start playing and stick around then there are no new players coming in to replace the old ones that leave the game.
  • sinista
    sinista
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,752
    i get my official bp info here, not on a fb webshow or whatever. if its not on an official kixeye website then its just hearsay.
    if they want to do vids then they need to post them on youtube and link them here.
    i watched 1 of rampages vids and it was 99% rambling and 1% info (next to worthless).

as for your post DQO07 BRAVO!
    I've been saying this for a long time now and all i get are tons of dislikes for explaining the truth to ppl.
    you are 100% accurate and i hope ppl actually read this and try to understand that the world isnt sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows.

this game is MONEY and thats all. if you play for free then be happy you got what you have.
    When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • Matt_K2020
    Matt_K2020
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 540
    edited 6 May 2018, 1:02AM
    Laredo said:
    zantil said:

I dont have time to work, do my game chores, hit bases AND watch live streams. Is there a way for his live stream to be made into notes, for players like myself to read at our convenience?

Edit: didnt proof read
  • Tywin_Lannister
    Tywin_Lannister
    Joined Jan 2018 Posts: 1,572
    Interesting post.
    I played a game once via FB (I won't name it of course) & in order to get the top tech stuff, you had to have a L10 building or 3 (max level) The problem was that you needed to buy a L10 card to do that.
    OK, so I stupidly did that, & my game was actually doing really well.
    Then, some really bad luck came, & I was out of circulation for 3 years.
    Go back to the game, & they'd introduced 2 new units & basically ruined the game for me.
    That's when I saw this game advertised on FB.
    I've played PS1 & 2 games, (GTA Vice City has to be my all time favourite--Hope this doesn't break the rules, Mods, as it's as old as the hills) & the C&C/Red Alert1&2/Yuri's Revenge/Tiberium Sun/Tiberium Wars (same deal, Mods, please) & they were cool, but.. Nothing like this game.
    I like how you can mix & match stuff (mostly) but I have to admit I was rather disappointed that the Fangtooth & maybe its flag wasn't offered in the last raid. Why that was.. I have no idea. I suspect due to build times & the fact that in August a new hull will be offered for the next cycle. That's my theory anyway.
    As the OP said on rating? I'd agree. 

8/10.

Some room for improvement, but you can't please everyone all of the time.
    Any man who must say, 'I am the king' is no true king
  • DQO07
    DQO07
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 221
    @DQ007

Where to begin with this one?
    The constant bugs. It certainly feels like there are constant bugs, and what doesn't help is when new content keeps getting added without existing bugs being fixed and the new content just adds MORE bugs. It would be nice if they would have a break from time to time to bugfix instead of flooding the game with more content.

Player complaints. So you are saying the players should just bend over and take it all the time? 
    At times its like Kixeye is a naughty child constantly pushing boundaries to see what they can get away with and if nothing is said then they just keep pushing. Build times keep creeping up; repair times keep creeping up; chore times keep getting longer. Its like kix keeps pushing to see what they can get away with until the community revolts and then Kix knows they went too far and ( usually) back off a little. But you think we should just shut up and take it? If we did that all the time the game will be an even bigger mess.

Flash.
    Flash was never designed for this type of game. It was designed for playing video clips in advertisements; not video games.
    At least 4 years ago, maybe more players were asking for kix to transfer BP to HTML but they refused. So now that they have finally decided to catch up with the times and convert BP; there is an additional 4+ years of coding / additions to BP that has to be recoded. { Now if they had only done it 4 years ago}

Kix is a business.  No Kidding. What doesn't help is they insist on charging premium prices for a OLD product. $75.00+ for ONE virtual ship, ( usually need at least 3 in fleet for it to be effective) does NOT encourage most players to coin. And then when we see more and more content that usually requires coining to do them ( bounty; TLCs and now FM) players start thinking COINGRAB. They need to REDUCE the cost to play this game to encourage more to want to coin instead of just targeting the 1% of big spenders. 

Helping new players is how you lose money.  Um NO its NOT. If you don't enocurage new players to start playing and stick around then there are no new players coming in to replace the old ones that leave the game.
    I'll take on this one, I don't have time to take on everyone who disagrees. First, you do not have to buy anything they offer. Coins are enough if you really want to spend money. So the argument that 75$ for one ship, I've never seen that unless it is outfitted with things you don't have (which btw is worth it most of the time). I actually haven't coined much in the last month compared to normal because I simply do not want to, and I am functioning fine. Yes the game is completely broken right now due to base defense having the ability to 3 shot hulls, but overall I can just wait until the next conqueror. I will get 500 million points in raid, without coining. I just did the campaigns with skyfires, easy peasy. FM is done.

I'm also very very curious as to what boundaries you think Kixeye is pushing, cause as far as I can see, they have yet to even come close to breaking any rule of gaming that would hold them liable. The funny part is that you think the community is the reason things get pulled back. Well fun fact, on literally every change in the past year, there have numerous posts claiming its garbage and revolting happens constantly (there was actually an update that just gave players free stuff and people still complained xDDDD), only a couple of things got changed. This is because it is not due to the community, it is due to their numbers not lining up. Remember when charged armor was nerfed and there was that massive revolt that made no sense at all, literally just people complaining to complain? Everyone was really going up in arms about it, but as soon as we got to raid we saw why they nerfed it? Yeah Kixeye knows what they are doing. My point here is, player boundary is dependent on the player. This is where you have to take the average player and use them. Because there is a mass sesspool of players who claim the game is garbage and will post everytime they can to complain. There is also an equal amount of people who just play the game and ride the wave like myself. The massive majority of those who complain on forums, are behind, and you can actually go to most of their posts and see that have no clue about any of the advanced functions of the game... This is why Kixeye, and why people like me do not take them seriously. They lack the fundamental knowledge of the game required to keep up. If you gave them everything in the game, they would still fall behind. The people who just play the game and ride the wave, don't actually care about what Kixeye changes cause they will adapt and will keep up. 

And this is where i get to Kixeye being a business. Whether you are lazy, lack fundamental knowledge, don't have the time to play alot, any of these, one thing remains constant: You have to spend to keep up. I spend to keep up because I am lazy. The people who are not like this, stay caught up without spending. Again I know multiple people with everything built and upgraded, who don't spend anything anymore. The overall cost of the game as proven by players like Bort, is 0. Guy hasn't ever spent a cent. So your argument that this game only targets the top 1% of players, is completely false, and I have reality on my side in people who don't spend and have everything built. This game comes down to one thing and one thing only, and that is seat time, you remove the seat time aspect with money. That is reality. If people don't like that, go away from the free to play market, cause every single game in this market is the same. It has nothing to do with the developer at this point, it has to do with the player and their perception of the market. Most people's perspective is completely wrong.  

I've already covered the bugs, you make changes in flash and things break, its just reality. Any want for them to fix the bugs when they have almost no control over how Flash functions, is kinda moot and just needs to be not said. 

Anyone new who comes to the game would be faced with 5-6 grand in money owed to the company before they can catch up, why would you ever wish that on someone xD The funny part is you are leaving out one thing: This game has been around I believe for more than a decade. It is still going strong, so what they are doing is working and doesn't need to be changed. I enjoy the game, others around me enjoy the game. I'm sorry that you do not, however that doesn't really affect me. I have my gripes with the game, like how passthrough is fundamentally broken, there is no way to balance it. I have gripes with how PvE hulls still take 20 days to fully build a single one. Hell I have gripes with the fact that we got a skin for the manticore instead of a couple more tokens in the camp LOL. However, you will rarely see me in forums questioning a decision unless it is so bizarre like the one with how much damage the Howitzers are doing (yes kixeye its a bit stupid, please give us base hitters something LOL).

I agree with one thing you said, the game should either be HTML or Client. I agree with this completely and you can actually see that I said this in my original post. I think it should be client because it is the most stable (I do understand this is difficult to walk the older crew through), HTML is a decent temporary solution to the fundamental problems that Flash brings. 

I will however apologize for any name calling as I was a bit upset at how many people lack understanding of gaming in general. Anyways I must go to work, as a last thing, this game is not a mess. If you want to see a mess, spend 2 days in Total Domination Nuclear Strategy, so you can get a feel for real pay to play...