Diminished Socialization

kixeyeuser_1365369523405_14232_1309869729
Force to be Reckoned With
Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 1,984
Today I was prepping some 113s for a friend. An easy drive with my Zelos. Easy enough that we could chat a bit while I was driving.

And it occurred to me, *this* is another 'small' thing that we have lost from this game with the over-the-top efforts Kix has been making to get rid of "easy" (and especially "auto") targets: We are so edge-of-our-seat focused on our combat that we don't have time to type and chat, so the social aspect of the game is diminished significantly. You have to wait until you are *both* not in combat before any real chatting occurs. And at that point, the chatting is brief, because people have been on here "too long" doing their chores.

So really, there needs to be a balance of targets - and the "chore" targets are really the right place for it - that can be driven easily. I might even say sloppily, or on auto, so that we can get back to the social context that made this game so good in the first place. 

It may seem like giving up some revenue, but really, do the metrics support the idea that any significant money is spent on chores?
Maybe encourage PvP by making chores short and easy, so players can plan their assault on a neighboring sector. Be an alli again.....
  • sinista
    sinista
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,752
    so what your saying is you want something where you are not playing and just chatting with ppl. like a chatroom or facebook or something?

When it comes to Kixeye, hope for the best but expect the worse.
  • sinista
    sinista
    ah like farmville!
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 8,257
    you can auto titanium, uranium, base parts 

the fm kind of needs to be driven to minimise damage. but thats less than half an hour per week.

... seems a reasonable balance to me.
  • akkisigg
    akkisigg
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 513
    Depends on a lot. Some targets have lulls in them that allow me to chat even when I have to drive it carefully. FM and Ti come to mind for that. Others can be autoed enough to carry a conversation. 

One avenue that many online game players use is a VOIP service for their guild/alliance. You might feel silly to use that for your FB game, but the more hands on a game is, the more inclined some players are to use hands free socialization to communicate. 

I just dont think that a good solution to this issue is targets that reward the player with more resources/points than are currently available for autoing. I feel like the repercussions of such a change for the rest of the game would be a net negative in the long run.
    "Fun" is subjective. What's fun for you may be dull for another. When you apply your subjective notion of "fun" onto another as an objective fact, you've set the standard that the only opinion that matters is your own and those kinds of people aren't much fun to be around.
  • Cathedral_Rock
    Cathedral_Rock
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 8,604
    I want a relaxed play style, so I can chat AND play at the same time. Not fight an intense combat, then stop and catch up on chat for a minute, then fight another combat while ignoring chat, then catch up again. Sure, this is how it goes when playing the bleeding edge targets. But for the day-to-day stuff - the chores - maybe Kix should be making it a more relaxed atmosphere. 
    why does that have to be THIS game?

• sir sinks alot
    sir sinks alot
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 610
    Alliance chat killed the social side of the game ...before the whole sector was on main chat 
  • de witte
    de witte
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 324
    Alliance chat killed the social side of the game ...before the whole sector was on main chat 
    alliances (and towers ) killed the game, growing chores just finished it. Not speaking for anybody but me.reading forums is more fun then playing ( not )

• Loco266
    Loco266
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 5,663

@Cathedral_Rock said:
    kixeyeuser_1365369523405_14232_1309869729 said:

I want a relaxed play style, so I can chat AND play at the same time. Not fight an intense combat, then stop and catch up on chat for a minute, then fight another combat while ignoring chat, then catch up again. Sure, this is how it goes when playing the bleeding edge targets. But for the day-to-day stuff - the chores - maybe Kix should be making it a more relaxed atmosphere. 

why does that have to be THIS game?

Seconded. When I want this kind of atmosphere I go play something like Chess Evolved Online or a CCG or something.

Though I can also understand not really wanting to put too much effort into chores

I'm starting to understand Magic Bunny's perspective...
  • Bob_62
    Bob_62
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 392
    why cant you stop chatting long enough to do a 1 or 2 min battle?  Plenty of time in this game to jack your jaws imo.
  • Mad_Scientist
    Mad_Scientist
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 7,716

@de witte said:
    sir sinks alot said:

alliances (and towers ) killed the game, growing chores just finished it. Not speaking for anybody but me.reading forums is more fun then playing ( not )

alliances hardly killed the game, in fact they were around before kixeye rolled them put as a formal thing. Towers were great for the game...no longer did it take 15 minutes to go three sectors away.

Chores killed the game....greed (both cheating players and kixeye) killed the game... inability to balance killed the game...having to get 100s of millions of points in a raid to keep up killed the game (guess that goes back to greed)...complexity killed the game, the simple but fun nature of the game is gone....

yet the game is still here...so some still enjoy it...others are waiting on the sidelines for the fun to come back (though like many things in life, the old BP is gone and will likely never come back...so the wait is likely futile).

Meep!
  • jager xxx
    jager xxx
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 1,721
    Today I was prepping some 113s for a friend. An easy drive with my Zelos. Easy enough that we could chat a bit while I was driving.

And it occurred to me, *this* is another 'small' thing that we have lost from this game with the over-the-top efforts Kix has been making to get rid of "easy" (and especially "auto") targets: We are so edge-of-our-seat focused on our combat that we don't have time to type and chat, so the social aspect of the game is diminished significantly. You have to wait until you are *both* not in combat before any real chatting occurs. And at that point, the chatting is brief, because people have been on here "too long" doing their chores.

So really, there needs to be a balance of targets - and the "chore" targets are really the right place for it - that can be driven easily. I might even say sloppily, or on auto, so that we can get back to the social context that made this game so good in the first place. 

It may seem like giving up some revenue, but really, do the metrics support the idea that any significant money is spent on chores?
    Maybe encourage PvP by making chores short and easy, so players can plan their assault on a neighboring sector. Be an alli again.....
     read a total of 4 words only , social, chore, balance, and revenues

this sum up the typical rants,keywords flagged and all 
  • beel78
    beel78
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 8,189
    de witte said:

i have to agree with the towers.  in fact, when they expanded the travel abilities to the entire world (100 sectors) that was the first blow to sector wide interaction (for good or bad).  When you could only go up or down one sector it brought a lot more personalities into interaction with each other and it was more like a society.  Social interaction could make or break you and entice people into a like minded alliance (care bear or insec).  While somethings have gotten better (the ability to go anywhere) it has been shadowed by the fact that everything else has made this a chore driven game and not a social or PvP (another form of social interaction) based game.
      I hate saying "back in my day" but the game was truly fun and enjoyable when entire sectors were at war with one another. Or two sectors would combine against another sector when a strong alliance moved in.
  • GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 2,360

@de witte said:
    sir sinks alot said:

alliances hardly killed the game, in fact they were around before kixeye rolled them put as a formal thing. Towers were great for the game...no longer did it take 15 minutes to go three sectors away.

Chores killed the game....greed (both cheating players and kixeye) killed the game... inability to balance killed the game...having to get 100s of millions of points in a raid to keep up killed the game (guess that goes back to greed)...complexity killed the game, the simple but fun nature of the game is gone....

yet the game is still here...so some still enjoy it...others are waiting on the sidelines for the fun to come back (though like many things in life, the old BP is gone and will likely never come back...so the wait is likely futile).

the passage of time did at least as much damage as all of those things combined
    I can feel you judging me. That's palpable. But, hey, I never said I was the hero of this story.
  • kixeyeuser_1365369523405_14232_1309869729
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 1,984
    Bob_62 said:
    why cant you stop chatting long enough to do a 1 or 2 min battle?  Plenty of time in this game to jack your jaws imo.
    LOL.... A different way of expressing my problem, but YES, why can't the chore battles just be 1 or 2 minutes? That would be nice, and achieve the desires result with regards to socialization!

Right now, there are some 'easy' combats, like killing 75 Reavers with fangs for U, or hitting the 52 scourge for base parts, but they are NOT 1-2 minute battles. And when you have to do a ridiculously large number of them to get the needed resources.... the effect adds up. 

But let's not turn this into another 'too many chores' thread. I'm talking about the quality of game play, and the chance to interact while playing, not how much I play. 
  • jager xxx
    jager xxx
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 1,721

learn at least one of these,, battling or pirating,  instead of failing at both and beg for a 3rd option

• GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 2,360
    Bob_62 said:
    LOL.... A different way of expressing my problem, but YES, why can't the chore battles just be 1 or 2 minutes? That would be nice, and achieve the desires result with regards to socialization!

Right now, there are some 'easy' combats, like killing 75 Reavers with fangs for U, or hitting the 52 scourge for base parts, but they are NOT 1-2 minute battles. And when you have to do a ridiculously large number of them to get the needed resources.... the effect adds up. 

But let's not turn this into another 'too many chores' thread. I'm talking about the quality of game play, and the chance to interact while playing, not how much I play. 
    this may be quibbling, but those two examples you gave are absolutely 1-2 minute battles :p 
    I can feel you judging me. That's palpable. But, hey, I never said I was the hero of this story.
  • sinista
    sinista
    when i started, we had no coms, no messaging, you never talked with anyone unless you knew them on facebook.
    this isnt a chat group its a action(?) game.
    if you cant wait 5 min for a battle to get over with before you have to chit chat with people then why play this game at all.
    my 2 previous post have been flagged as troll and disliked a lot.
    It wasnt a troll, this game isnt about chatting its about ship battles.
    if you want a chatting game(in all seriousness) this game may not be what you are looking for.
  • iwrk4dedpr
    iwrk4dedpr
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 887
    edited 31 Oct 2017, 1:42AM
    sinista said:
    when i started, we had no coms, no messaging, you never talked with anyone unless you knew them on facebook.
    this isnt a chat group its a action(?) game.
    if you cant wait 5 min for a battle to get over with before you have to chit chat with people then why play this game at all.
    my 2 previous post have been flagged as troll and disliked a lot.
    It wasnt a troll, this game isnt about chatting its about ship battles.
    if you want a chatting game(in all seriousness) this game may not be what you are looking for.
    Can't deny the logic there.  

Though I believe game first introduced in FB .... which is a social interaction site.

I wouldn't be me if I wasn't contrarian!
  • AnEyeForAnEye
    AnEyeForAnEye
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 7,191
    edited 31 Oct 2017, 1:58AM
    There has to be be players to socialize. Very often, i log and no one is on in alli and sector.

Plus, the fact we have to drive in every target kind of killed the socializing aspects of the game.

Plus, i dont stay long enough in game to chat. I do my chores, log off and go try other games/what a movie/spend timewith family etc. I spend the least amount of time i have to in the game.

If it was fun and engaging and i could go hit bases with alli mates, then maybe i would, but since they made this game a chore pirate game, nope.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 1,172
    edited 31 Oct 2017, 2:08AM
    bort said:
    you can auto titanium, uranium, base parts 

the fm kind of needs to be driven to minimise damage. but thats less than half an hour per week.

... seems a reasonable balance to me.

not sure how you work that out, eve before at 7 targets at 5 minutes each (assuming you could find 113s) that is still over 30 minutes

If you are not prepared to quote facts then please stop with the *******

by passing the swear filter is still swearing - specs