Official Event Discussion Thread - Caress of Steel

• Jontork
    Jontork
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 392
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 7:01AM
    I think it's BS that we need 2 raid fleets to maximize points.  Ok it seems that I can get by with one fleet and I hope that doesn't change?  Board to tears hitting only 1 target.  I could hit 80's but payout is less on a time basis.  I was able to put together 4 fangs 95% complete before the raid with phantom in the oven.  Lastly, the charged concussive seems to be crap?  One shot and I lose 1/4 or more of charged but without charged you die fast.
  • SIF
    SIF
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,390
    Jontork said:
    I think it's BS that we need 2 raid fleets to maximize points.  Ok it seems that I can get by with one fleet and I hope that doesn't change?  Board to tears hitting only 1 target.  I could hit 80's but payout is less on a time basis.  I was able to put together 4 fangs 95% complete before the raid with phantom in the oven.  Lastly, the charged concussive seems to be crap?  One shot and I lose 1/4 or more of charged but without charged you die fast.
    You don't. If you have good fangs, they can do the Hunter Bay camp no problem. I started the raid by stacking 12 Fang Depths camps to get what I absolutely wanted. It was sort of costly (on my scale of coining) at 20 or so coins to get those done first day of raid. After that I gave the Hunter target a try. Well, it was even easier for my fleet. Unless I screwed up or my hardware lagged enough for me to get in range, the camp is instant rep here. So I hit 30 of those consecutively, repairing as I felt like it/drove poorly. I'm just now cleaning up those stacked sets. Just did 7 Depths camps for a 3hr22min total repair bill. That's going and I'm headed to bed. Zero coin for my last, what, 55 mil or so points? I'll do the rest of the raid just fine without coining any more repairs. I'm still planning to finish the Hunters that I've started with tokens to get on the water for ranking after my Fangs are completely built, but I certainly didn't need them this raid to maximize my points. Perhaps the Phantom is making enough difference to allow that? I'm not sure.

The Hunter camp's weapons are much more painful for Fangs if you get too close. One torp and 1/2 a sub gone (only 1 of each charged plate on mine). But they have much less health, so they die very quickly compared to the subs in the Fang camp. Unless you just don't plan it out or are way too cautious, they don't get a chance to pin you in a corner like the ships in the Fang camp. That's why it's easier for me, and you might see similar results if you give it a try.

For a first raid of a cycle, Kix did well on the targets. Both top tier targets can be done quite reasonably with the top hull: Fangtooth. And the extra target is quite doable with the secondary hull, Hunter MK-1, giving it something to attack for large amounts of points rather quickly at a decent repair cost, allowing anyone who couldn't afford 100 mil last raid a way to do this one if they were able to get through half of the Hunter Games TLC using year old Apollos. I'm almost certain that's what Kix intended and they succeeded.
  • GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 2,360
    Jontork said:
    charged armor is a safety net. whether you have it or not (i don't have any equipped), your goal should be not to be hit.
    I can feel you judging me. That's palpable. But, hey, I never said I was the hero of this story.
  • mikklehime
    mikklehime
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 217
    how do u not get hit when they out range u ?
  • mikklehime
    mikklehime
    Minor Nuisance
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 9:10AM
    alex.stanham said (from page 11 of this discussion, 2 days ago)
    6 hrs repairs for a set of 60s with tideseekers , if that the recommended hull to use in the 60s , someone is nuts around here lol , too expensive raid , well if raids value goes down we can all coin , for now coins in my bank account , skipping this raid 

tried the hunt camp with 1 hunter mk just to check how it went , got melted in seconds , how can all recomended hull get melted in targets , why always tune all targets with the top hull now the fang , is all targets leveled to hit fangs and hurt them , level all targets for use with recomended hull , upgrade raid pts and let all players play raid,  wrong and poor approach to all players , well going back to upgrade walls lol 
    Didn't you quit the raid on Thursday? I'm pretty sure you said you were done about 10 pages ago...

1 hull? You think 1 hull - even though it is the "recommended" hull - should be able to compete in a target? Why would anyone build 4 and fight for the flag if 1 hull were remotely sufficient. Was the hull blank? 1 thud, maybe 2? Did it have the recommended charged armor, etc? Or are you just trying to find a way to complain. 

For what its worth, I have 4 fangs and they are running like champs all over the fang campaign they are recommended for. Also recommended for the raid, but not mentioned, is; ability to drive and understand targets, and more than just 1 ship.  
    was trying different options but still wont be able to do raids , as i said all is leveled to use with fangs , i dare you to try now a 60s set with tideseekers , just try and then let me know how you feel without your fangs , all is leveled to use with fangs excepts the 45 are instant rep for tides with 20 k , i am doing now for res , got bored of the salvs lol 
    Well, I tried my tides in a 61... and you're not gonna like what I have to say.  My Htide and 2 tides ran through it for 8m damage - on a laptop with a broken track pad.

*My tides are equipped with charged armor and were enough to get me the pfang and run through the last camp with minimal damage. They actually work exceptionally well if properly built for these targets. You can't assume the set up from last year's raid would be useful. There is a reason they locked tides out of the tier 7... Just tried an 81, just for you, and took 2h of damage with horrific driving, H O R R I F I C.

Perhaps they should have been more specific with their recommendations... some people assume just because they have the hull, they are set. These targets - like most targets - require a proper build, proper driving, and a proper understanding of the target and the hulls strengths and weaknesses.  
    my H/tide & tides are skulled & built to the specifics of the chit kixeye was selling at the start of this raid but built with 2 x concussive & 2 x explosive charged armours & they die easy in a 61 so i don't know where u get your speech from pal.
    as for the driving speeches,driving don't mean nothing when u get outranged !!!!!
    i've spent nothing in this shower of shonk & refuse to waste money on chit !!!!!
  • bowtan
    bowtan
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 23
    why has kixeye took it upon its self to stop alliance team mates helping each other i can  not help anyone in my alliance due to the larger targets in players own towers and the 80s just seem to blow up when you come out most of the time which makes me not want to help if 50% of what i prep is going to waste could kix please introduce co op targets in the towers so we can help each other after all it is the one thing in the game i still enjoyed  
  • GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    how do u not get hit when they out range u ?
    they don't outrange fangs unless you've made a strange weapon choice
    I can feel you judging me. That's palpable. But, hey, I never said I was the hero of this story.
  • mikklehime
    mikklehime
    Minor Nuisance
    so what torp u using that's over 93 range then pal ? because my houndtooth DC on my tides are outranged !!!!
  • follow.tiffers
    follow.tiffers
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 477
    They want players to either coin or quit. It saves them money on servers space, bandwidth, CS, etc. 
    "First, I want to make it clear that our users are the lifeblood of this game. Your happiness is our primary objective and everything that we do to improve the game is aimed at increasing it."  Will Harbin. CEO, Kixeye.
  • GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    on my fangs? delerium, which are 88 range like all modern torps.
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 2,550

@akkisigg said:
    alex.stanham said:

will need help with this build , this one seems to be weak 

For this one, ditch the Sub Propellant, Agi 3, and SFC (for reasons mentioned above). Propellant wont help your anti morts as that special works only with the glut antis from my understanding. With HT DCs, you want to up their splash and speed while reducing their spread. Consider Explosive Sys 4 and Fulmination Payload as two replacements for propellant and SFC. For agi 3, I would really try to get PBX payload for its crit bonuses. If you cant get that, put maybe a basic stacking upgrade for speed or concussive damage or try to further improve your splash with Viscosity Regulator.

I would not ditch the evade special. Enemy torpedos can hit quite hard in this raid, especially if you don't have the charged armors. the best way to avoid torpedo damage is to literally avoid the torpedo hitting you. GS3 is my go to evade special. it has the highest evade boost (tied with RC4 and AG4), gives the least weight penalty, and builds the quickest. You do not need slow resistance since Hunters are fully unreactive.

SFC and Subaquatic Propellant are useless on hunters. replace them with Explosive system 4/Combustion system 2 (imo CS2 is preferred since it builds faster and the spread helps you hit faster enemies better, especially those berserking goblin sharks) and PBX.

Playing this game is like trying to row a boat up a waterfall.
  • mikklehime
    mikklehime
    Minor Nuisance
    The Qing said:

@mikklehime said:
    so what torp u using that's over 93 range then pal ? because my houndtooth DC on my tides are outranged !!!!

Tideseekers have a 5% concussive range penalty. Your 93 range houndtooth DCs have a range of 88.35 on a tideseeker.

Secondly, fangtooths have a 14% concussive range buff. Any 88 range torpedo will be boosted to 100.32 range on a fangtooth. That's how fangtooths stay out of firing range.

Hope that answers your question.

that explains it. nice 1 for the info pal. all those fools that bought the tide deal unknowing getting ripped off by kixeye as usual. lol
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2017 Posts: 1,172
    bowtan said:
    why has kixeye took it upon its self to stop alliance team mates helping each other i can  not help anyone in my alliance due to the larger targets in players own towers and the 80s just seem to blow up when you come out most of the time which makes me not want to help if 50% of what i prep is going to waste could kix please introduce co op targets in the towers so we can help each other after all it is the one thing in the game i still enjoyed  

CO OP targets means greater difficulty and higher damage out put as well as higher armour points etc.

Once they go down the CO OP route, how do you go on then?

Do you remember when you got the new hull for 15 mil ,the new special and weapon for the other 15 mil, then could either help others or go do something enjoyable?

Well there was this guy see, He used to like telling everyone how awesome he was, and used to get hundreds of millions of points in raids (who knows why?).

Well he came on forums and asked for more prizes in raids so he could spend his points, that is why it now costs you 100 mil for a new hull, 200 mil for the armours you NEED, plus a load more for other stuff you cannot really manage without.

MORAL of the story, be very, very careful what you ask for. CO OP will not come cheap......................it will make it so much harder to do anything alone in the game..surely you can remember that far back?

• GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    The Qing said:

@mikklehime said:

Tideseekers have a 5% concussive range penalty. Your 93 range houndtooth DCs have a range of 88.35 on a tideseeker.

Secondly, fangtooths have a 14% concussive range buff. Any 88 range torpedo will be boosted to 100.32 range on a fangtooth. That's how fangtooths stay out of firing range.

that explains it. nice 1 for the info pal. all those fools that bought the tide deal unknowing getting ripped off by kixeye as usual. lol
    if the deal was tides with hounds then they surely didn't. from what i heard during the camp, tides with garwoods did quite well. these targets are a bit easier.
  • Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    fozzy64 said:
    Laredo said:
    williaij said:
    Any chance of increasing the amount of Charged X armors from 5 to say 10 since some people might be building both fangs and hunters?  

Cheers
    I'll ask.
    I agree we need to have more charged X armors available. I'm also trying to build both fleets and with the amount of explosive damage being taken, Fangs need 2 each. That leaves none left for my Hunters. 

Thanks

This raid, Fangs will cope with 1 charged plate each, (yes it is better with 2 but not by much)

Next raid however? who Knows? :(

• Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader

my tides 

they will do better with a couple of explosive plates, even if they are the normal ones (use low level ones for less repair time , you just need the resistance)

I haven't done the targets myself but I think an anti mortar may help?

• Milo-Ant
    Milo-Ant
    Incursion Leader
    Skeptical said:
    This raid is about as I expected for the first offering in the cycle, but there is some areas of improvement that should be seriously considered for the following two offerings in order to make a fun and challenging series for the community.

Pros:
    • 4 million points per S target is rather reasonable given the prize cost ratio, the bonus is also in alignment for those that have both fleets available to complete them
    • The challenge of the targets is not exponentially too steep which some series first offerings have forced players to suffer through, particularly Scourge raid series
    Cons:
    • Size of the targets is astronomically large which is causing some crippling driver's fatigue to get the points required for the prizes
      • 10~12 minutes per target is unreasonable given some folks point target of 300 million is upwards of 13 hours of driving time
    • The two S targets that deal dramatically different damage based on the fleet that enters is really a shame and feels like an outright abuse of the player
      • If you dont want Fangs in the Hunter target DONT allow it, but do not change the damage curve, thats just poor target design and balance to solve a core raid target distribution problem
    Suggestions:
    • S Target footprint size needs to be re-evaluated, three options for investigation 
      • Reduce the footprint of these S level targets to reduce open water driving
      • Reduce the amount of targets inside the target so its less to travel to and from in order to complete the target
      • Reduce the health of the targets so your not kiting them for the endless extended periods of time
    • Allow co-op of campaign relays so alliances can support their members, no one is going to prep A sets for the minimal payout

whilst I agree the lack of prep that can be done is bad. making the towers CO OP is NOT a good idea...and here is why:-

If they make them CO OP people can jump your tower

If they make them CO OP they will increase the health of target etc and damage dealt making it hard if not impossible for a single player to do

it will increase LAG in the target

• CleopatraOfTheSea
    CleopatraOfTheSea
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 740
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 11:49AM
    Before the usual trolls jump on this as whining I got 250 mill no coins in 2 days...My concern is that I refitted my skulled tides with a harlock flag using new special and gun issued for the hunter and added one panel of each recommended charged armour. Logically to be able to do that and have everything to complete the refit I would need to be a fairly high and accomplished player. In my opinion they should be a skill hull able to do at least b sets with reasonable damage....they dont. 2 fangs with one panel of each charged armour, best result a fang camp 28 mins repair.It seems that we are now at a stage where without a particular hull you cannot progress as each raid brings out whats required in the next one. We dont need to argue about this simply put up a poll and see what percentage of players still can do the elite targets. I am watching a huge difficulty curve in raids progress over the last year to the extent that now high level players cannot touch e ven b targets which give so few points that even if the can they wont get anything to really help them progress. My sector is highly populated and I see about 10 players in the raid. It really needs a rethink and targets that everyone can play on. Not moaning I do this easy but I am not the game the 90% plus who cannot are.
  • DRUGOs
    DRUGOs
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 355
    Before the usual trolls jump on this as whining I got 250 mill no coins in 2 days...My concern is that I refitted my skulled tides with a harlock flag using new special and gun issued for the hunter and added one panel of each recommended charged armour. Logically to be able to do that and have everything to complete the refit I would need to be a fairly high and accomplished player. In my opinion they should be a skill hull able to do at least b sets with reasonable damage....they dont. 2 fangs with one panel of each charged armour, best result a fang camp 28 mins repair.It seems that we are now at a stage where without a particular hull you cannot progress as each raid brings out whats required in the next one. We dont need to argue about this simply put up a poll and see what percentage of players still can do the elite targets. I am watching a huge difficulty curve in raids progress over the last year to the extent that now high level players cannot touch e ven b targets which give so few points that even if the can they wont get anything to really help them progress. My sector is highly populated and I see about 10 players in the raid. It really needs a rethink and targets that everyone can play on. Not moaning I do this easy but I am not the game the 90% plus who cannot are.
    i think you will find 90% of the player base are not very good drivers .. as the raids progress they seem to be more skill required wich pushes alot of the ppl out .. i did a troll post about it here lol https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/comment/5777656

• GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    i question your definition of "high level players" if you're talking about someone who isn't completing S sets for instant repair.

everyone can handle these targets with the tech that has been made available. whether they pull it off or not is on the individual.
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 2,550

@mikklehime said:
    The Qing said:

@mikklehime said:

I would not call it a rip off.

First, this hull is a year old. It's concussive range penalty should be well known by now. Read the stats before you buy.

Secondly, the hull is MEANT to take damage, that is the reason for its absurd resistances. Tideseekers are not meant for damage-free runs. They WILL take damage, but unlike the subs, mistakes are not punished so heavily. You can even auto B sets with well built Tideseekers.

Playing this game is like trying to row a boat up a waterfall.
  • Nathaniel_K63
    Nathaniel_K63
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2015 Posts: 192
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 1:24PM
    SIF said:
    Jontork said:
    You don't. If you have good fangs, they can do the Hunter Bay camp no problem. I started the raid by stacking 12 Fang Depths camps to get what I absolutely wanted. It was sort of costly (on my scale of coining) at 20 or so coins to get those done first day of raid. After that I gave the Hunter target a try. Well, it was even easier for my fleet. Unless I screwed up or my hardware lagged enough for me to get in range, the camp is instant rep here. So I hit 30 of those consecutively, repairing as I felt like it/drove poorly. I'm just now cleaning up those stacked sets. Just did 7 Depths camps for a 3hr22min total repair bill. That's going and I'm headed to bed. Zero coin for my last, what, 55 mil or so points? I'll do the rest of the raid just fine without coining any more repairs. I'm still planning to finish the Hunters that I've started with tokens to get on the water for ranking after my Fangs are completely built, but I certainly didn't need them this raid to maximize my points. Perhaps the Phantom is making enough difference to allow that? I'm not sure.

The Hunter camp's weapons are much more painful for Fangs if you get too close. One torp and 1/2 a sub gone (only 1 of each charged plate on mine). But they have much less health, so they die very quickly compared to the subs in the Fang camp. Unless you just don't plan it out or are way too cautious, they don't get a chance to pin you in a corner like the ships in the Fang camp. That's why it's easier for me, and you might see similar results if you give it a try.

For a first raid of a cycle, Kix did well on the targets. Both top tier targets can be done quite reasonably with the top hull: Fangtooth. And the extra target is quite doable with the secondary hull, Hunter MK-1, giving it something to attack for large amounts of points rather quickly at a decent repair cost, allowing anyone who couldn't afford 100 mil last raid a way to do this one if they were able to get through half of the Hunter Games TLC using year old Apollos. I'm almost certain that's what Kix intended and they succeeded.
    U can't reach several of the Gluts in the Hunter camps with Torps, seeing as they're tucked away between walls and radioation fields.
    Only surface weapons can reach them.
    *edit* given enough explosive charged armours appearantly u CAN survive the fields long enough to reach them, so I'll concede to that point*
  • F4LL3N_1
    F4LL3N_1
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 415
    All good points...But my Conquest Yard runs on Titanium...GIVE ME SOME TITANIUM...Either this whip sucks or this horse is dead...
    Visit my channel, like and sub or dislike AND THE BUNNY DIES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/xxxF4LL3N1xxx
  • GrumpyReign
    GrumpyReign
    Master Tactician
    SIF said:
    Jontork said:

U can't reach several of the Gluts in the Hunter camps with Torps, seeing as they're tucked away between walls and radioation fields.
    So I'm calling bullshit on you being able to do the Hunter camp with Fangs 'no problem'.
    lol good grief.. did you even bother to try?
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,736
    bowtan said:
    Putting the T7 targets had the unexpected result of putting Mercs more or less outa business for target prepping.  Kixeye will more than likely take the targets out of the tower next month.

I personally like them in the tower since it won't reap for 6 hours once activated and can't be poached.

• Nathaniel_K63
    Nathaniel_K63
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2015 Posts: 192
    SIF said:
    Jontork said:

So I'm calling bullshit on you being able to do the Hunter camp with Fangs 'no problem'.
    lol good grief.. did you even bother to try?
    I just did in a 'fek it why not' suicide attempt.
    With full health charged armour the fallout fields aren't TOO bad.
    So fair enough, I'll concede with that.
    It will require either a repair inbetween tho or VERY delicate driving to minimize damage with the other subs, since U'll need a decent charge left on your armour to survive the fields.
    And of course, U'll need a charged armour build to begin with.
    U know, the tech they always claimed would never become a requirement.
  • Ray_P
    Ray_P
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,526
    edited 15 Oct 2017, 1:41PM
    Laredo said:
    bowtan said:
    Putting the T7 targets had the unexpected result of putting Mercs more or less outa business for target prepping.  Kixeye will more than likely take the targets out of the tower next month.

I personally like them in the tower since it won't reap for 6 hours once activated and can't be poached.

Laredo "Poaching"  is a weak argument.   There was no poaching that I ever saw, and who really cares about a 4 mil target there for 6 hrs in a 3 day raid?

It was another brain F### idea to try hurt lower level players especially in an alliance and to further take the fun out for many players.  Glad to hear they will probably take them out,  on all dimensions it was a stupid idea.   Why this persistence in pissing off players I don't really understand.
    Ray_P   

Winner of Hellhound, Grimshine, Nighthawk,  V2 C/H, JuggX, Mastedon, Interceptor, Atlas, Viper, Enforcer, Nash, Reaper, Spectre, Hellstrike, Vindicator, Triton, Stingray, Interdictor, Hurricane, MCX, Goliath, Barracuda, Strike Cruiser, Mercury, Mauler, Super Fortress, Battleship, Battle Cruiser,  HHA,  HHB 

Remember at the end of the day it's a game,  it's not your life. 

Sectors 138,  316,  248,  177,   315
  • Altonator
    Altonator
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,811
    Thanx for not maling it worth my time to prep  targets kixeye saved me many hundreds of gold  
  • Cpt_Clueless
    Cpt_Clueless
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 227
    Laredo said:
    bowtan said:

Yes, kix will more than likely change it back but...mostly because of those 2 points you mentioned you liked. since it cant be poached many are doing it instant rep(back in dock) with as few as 3 fangs. so kix are losing the coins. if they put it on map no one will dare to leave it to dock and instant repair or even retreat n instant rep on map. If kix really cared about mercs being put out of business or lil ones falling behind theyd keep it as it is and make it co op.
This discussion has been closed.