Javelin

Abbadonn
Abbadonn
Potential Threat
Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 36
Ok, so the jumpships aren't new anymore and after taking the time to build it, it's frustrating that I rarely get to use it due to the captain permit restriction. Please, for the love of vega, ditch the permits. That is all
  • John the Savage
    John the Savage
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2016 Posts: 956
    A Javelin with an E Drive can carry 10 fleets.

Hypothetically speaking, 15 fully loaded Javelins in a coordinated alliance can field 150 fleets at one time for a raid.

The limit might be a balancing issue, or addressing a technical limitation regarding the servers.
  • Frankv
    Frankv
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 783
    Stormer-M said:

Hypothetically speaking, 15 fully loaded Javelins in a coordinated alliance can field 150 fleets at one time for a raid.

The limit might be a balancing issue, or addressing a technical limitation regarding the servers.
    getting tech and not being able to use it is also bull.
    i get the point but alliance ;leader changing permits due a javelin died so another one can get his out is just lame. i get it might get OP with 150 fleets. but no one will use it in war or overflow due to its repair.
  • Abbadonn
    Abbadonn
    Potential Threat
    Maybe it is a server issue, idk. What I do know is that all players aren't active all the time. I'm in a top rated alliance with all 15 permits taken and rarely see more than one or two of them in sector at a time. Player activity should be figured in. Not every player is gonna be flying around with their Jav all the time. 
  • zparadis
    zparadis
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2017 Posts: 801
    I remember someone saying it is a server thing, to limit the number of them out at once due to graphic constraints
  • Abbadonn
    Abbadonn
    Potential Threat
    zparadis said:
    I remember someone saying it is a server thing, to limit the number of them out at once due to graphic constraints

If they can handle having vsec, supply run, and event fleets flying around I'm sure they can handle a few more Javelins. I don't think the increase will flood the server with too much data... js

• xRegis
    xRegis
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 294
    We already have server issues when there are too many things fleets in one screen.

The other issue is balancing. It wouldn't be fair. Perhaps there might be a solution or not, but taking away the current limit doesn't seem like the best idea at the moment.

Abbadonn said:
    Player activity should be figured in. Not every player is gonna be flying around with their Jav all the time. 
    I certainly agree. In my opinion, I would rather have the game allow any 15 Javelins out only at once. Although there have been times where when it first came out, an alliance had have all 15 out.
    But another issue to that is that, a player would forget to recall their fleet home.
    https://puu.sh/xQkNE/b6799143c0.png
  • War_Panda
    War_Panda
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 245
    In our alliance as people go offline we drop our permits so we keep a pool ready for those online who need them. only time we have problem is in case of doing a raid.
  • Abbadonn
    Abbadonn
    Potential Threat
    I guess my main point is that I've been in sectors with at least 3 top clans occupying planets, which would allow for 45 Javelins in sector. Not counting the other smaller clans. But how often do you see more than 10 flying around at once? Really?
  • xRegis
    xRegis
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 294
    edited 5 Oct 2017, 4:09AM
    Today, probably not as many. And the issue really is against top clans who could have loads at once split into divisions.
    The problem is that "it is possible still".
    https://puu.sh/xQkNE/b6799143c0.png
  • Abbadonn
    Abbadonn
    Potential Threat
    There is already the potential to have more than 100 javelins in any given sector or quadrant and the fact remains that there is rarely more than 10 in either scenario. Ditch the permits. That is all
  • James Anderson52
    James Anderson52
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2016 Posts: 136

Its plain and simple kix doesn't care you might as well be pissing in the wind than trying to get kix to change it

• M.V.K.0
    M.V.K.0
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 1,025
    Having the Restrictions makes sense, since alot of RTS aspects in this game can't be played out, it is a way to make sure when they do they still work out. 

If Javelins can carry more Fleets then you can ever put to them, it makes sense the way they are. Otherwise it is only reasonable they could hold no more then 6 Fleets each.

If there wasn't Captain Restriction, then it would probably still justify that the Javelin then is only allowed to be used in so many Fleets. Namely one.

But since there is the worth for the difference, it would say having least the Alliance requirement would fit and also say of the Alliance position to fly.

Also, if thought about Sectors think are just to small also otherwise.

Thanks,

MVK
  • zparadis
    zparadis
    Strike-force Captain
    Abbadonn said:
    zparadis said:

If they can handle having vsec, supply run, and event fleets flying around I'm sure they can handle a few more Javelins. I don't think the increase will flood the server with too much data... js

But the Javelin has a 3D rendering, while not everything else does. That's why the limit is there, or at least, that's the stated reason.
  • Archo_X
    Archo_X
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 372
    zparadis said:
    The last time the permit topic came up Chris said the issue was with the Jav fleet icon on mobile.  The captain permits were added to reduce the number of javs active in a sector.

That said, you could have 100 alliances in a sector and each could have all 15 javs out.

There is a simple fix though.  An alliance should be able to assign permits to a floating pool.  So, some players might have an assigned permit, and some might be granted access to the pool.  Each player could then request a permit from the pool, and that permit is automatically revoked when the user logs out.

Otherwise we just keep the current game of pass the permit going.
  • M.V.K.0
    M.V.K.0
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 1,025
    zparadis said:
    Abbadonn said:
    zparadis said:

But the Javelin has a 3D rendering, while not everything else does. That's why the limit is there, or at least, that's the stated reason.
    In contrast it probably shouldn't have a 3D rendering actually.

Thanks,

MVK
  • Star Platinum
    Star Platinum
    VC Mod
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 2,123
    M.V.K.0 said:
    zparadis said:
    Abbadonn said:
    zparadis said:

Thanks,

MVK
    From what I remember, the Javelin is classified as a Flagship, which is why it has the 3D sprite in sector space (2D in planet). The Harvesters and the former Suspicious Cargo all have 3D sprites, which makes them Flagships. 
  • Junren-JS
    Junren-JS
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 1,591
    War_Panda said:
    In our alliance as people go offline we drop our permits so we keep a pool ready for those online who need them. only time we have problem is in case of doing a raid.
    Same with ours.  We have a permanent assignment of jump ship permits for those who use them the most, with a rota of 5-8 that members can "check out" for their time online.  It's a hassle for those who love their jumpships, but then again we take into consideration who "uses them the most" so it's always up for reassignment if it comes to that.  Not the best solution, but it's what we've come to live with.  =P

Burning all your bridges means that sooner or later you're alone on an island, bereft of allies or means to get anywhere.  Seek to build bridges in all things, treat even your opponents with respect.  Crush them only when there is no other recourse and they hinder your movement forward. 
  • Stef_One
    Stef_One
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 276

@Stormer-M said:

u can also send 150 fleets in a raid without javs... and the javs can also be killed (what is a special fun to do :wink: )
    when was the last time u seen 15 javs simultaneously showing up in a raid? me never...

so why not removing that stupid permit restriction?

"what looks good, flies good" <old aviators wisdom>
  • zparadis
    zparadis
    Strike-force Captain
    M.V.K.0 said:
    zparadis said:
    Abbadonn said:
    zparadis said:

Thanks,

MVK
    One of the few comments of yours i can understand. WOW.

In that case, how do we determine if there is a Jav then or not?
  • Stef_One
    Stef_One
    Minor Nuisance

u could tell it from the loudness of the owners crying when u hit it :lol:

• Stef_One
    Stef_One
    Minor Nuisance

but maybe a flat non-3d design that is another than normal fleets could help with possible server issues (is that what mvk meant?).. tho i doubt that 3d models r an issue when harvesters and hives are no problem (the grafics may be stored in the users client and not on the server anyway)