Rookie Question: Normal vs. Rechargeable Shields

StuffyEvil
StuffyEvil
Potential Threat
Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 45
So I manage to grind VEGA Fleets 20 - 25 long enough to unlock the Diffuser Shield I, but is it actually effective in the field of quick combat?

I not really sure.

Which one is better tier for tier? (Spectral Shield II = Diffuser Shield I)

Is it situational?
  • ChalkSix
    ChalkSix
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 279
    As with weapon specials, it depends on your playstyle.  Recharging shields are for hit-and-run attacks or kiting.   Normal shields are better for brawling - they have more energy per unit mass.    Just remember,  if your recharge shield gets to zero, its gone for the rest of the battle.
  • Tank Commander
    Tank Commander
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 64
    Recharge Sheilds are Effective depending on fleet builds tactic and personal opinion, my personal experience they are effective for insta repair fleets and on Destroyers, they are effective for basing because you accasionally take a hit from a projectile and blows half your sheild away if you can evade for long enough it will recharge fully and can take another hit which spares you a ship because if it got hit enough longer into the battle you would lose that ship costing you costly repairs and costing you time but if you let the shield recharge your ship can take another hit allowing it to stay in combat allowing you to have more ships firing onto the base if you hadn't equiped the rehcarge shields, thats my opinion.

~Tank Commander~
    "its Raining Shells! Your bleeding Blood, R.I.P GG Bud!"
  • xcvxvx
    xcvxvx
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 1,111
    So I manage to grind VEGA Fleets 20 - 25 long enough to unlock the Diffuser Shield I, but is it actually effective in the field of quick combat?

I not really sure.

Is it situational?
    I agree with both of above.  Add one very important point How many ships do you have or are you planning to coin?   During events the ship losses will be very high.  Depending on the event it can be a brawl or skill or both.  Plus there will be other player who will attack you.   What level are you at?  If you are just beginning then hold off as the ship repairs and construction will make a quantum jump.  
  • StuffyEvil
    StuffyEvil
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 45
    xcvxvx said:

I not really sure.

Is it situational?
    I agree with both of above.  Add one very important point How many ships do you have or are you planning to coin?   During events the ship losses will be very high.  Depending on the event it can be a brawl or skill or both.  Plus there will be other player who will attack you.   What level are you at?  If you are just beginning then hold off as the ship repairs and construction will make a quantum jump.  
    This is from months ago XD, I am now bridge 5
  • xcvxvx
    xcvxvx
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 1,111
    xcvxvx said:

I not really sure.

Is it situational?
    This is from months ago XD, I am now bridge 5
      Editor needed!
  • V e s p o
    V e s p o
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 1,839
    Recharge shields work well against solo alien hives by the way. A rev with 2x Diffuser III can last a surprisingly long time against old style hives/swarms if you have enough of them packed together well enough to cover each other- if you can swat away the swarms fast enough, your shields will keep getting short breaks where they can charge up. They seem to do about as well as heavier cruisers (corinthians) with two metphase 3 shields, despite carrying a lot less armor- and may actually rack up much less repair time than Heretics or covenants.
  • Commander Centurion
    Commander Centurion
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 1,742
    edited 30 Mar 2017, 9:59AM

@V e s p o said:
    Recharge shields work well against solo alien hives by the way. A rev with 2x Diffuser III can last a surprisingly long time against old style hives/swarms if you have enough of them packed together well enough to cover each other- if you can swat away the swarms fast enough, your shields will keep getting short breaks where they can charge up. They seem to do about as well as heavier cruisers (corinthians) with two metphase 3 shields, despite carrying a lot less armor- and may actually rack up much less repair time than Heretics or covenants.

My rule of thumb for Hive advice is this:

Do you have Venom?

If so, you should also have either Creeper 1, SICO Missile, or both (optionally event weapons such as Aurora, Manifold, Nova, reusable HEX, Hydra etc.). Trident and Revelation likely are in the horizon at this point of the players progress. SICO 1 and Creeper 1 are mighty against Hives, and are easily obtainable through blueprints. These weapons allow your Venoms to take virtually no to little damage from hive squadrons and should always be primary sources of anti squadron.

If you do not have Venom, don't attempt hives. The absolute minimum should be Venoms to do these. Rancors are too small, even with Creepers, Broadswords do not have a sufficient firing arc to defend eachother aside from their poor weapon slots, Nighthawks suffer the same problem with firing arc, and Exodus may work but you definitely won't be able to finish the hives health off in time.

Therefore, refitting recharge shields onto your ships isn't necessary for hives and doesn't improve performance all that much if you're not taking much damage to begin with.