Randomized drop mechanics

ChandraArgentis
ChandraArgentis
Incursion Leader
Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 1,120
edited 12 Oct 2016, 2:25AM
@KIXEYE Swag

In your livestream, you mentioned that you are in favor of a randomized mechanic for drops.  While I personally, am opposed to that, it does work in a game that has trading (such as MTG).  Without the ability to trade, however, most of the player base ends up getting items that they will never use.  For example, I am a top-tier player, and I have had to buy pretty much all of my Nighthawk Mk4s.  I almost never get any Carrier patterns, but other people seem to have the opposite problem.

If you are going to do randomized drops, can we put in a trading mechanic into the game so that we can, say, sell our items to other players for coins.
In addition, if we are going to do random drops, we need to have the exact drop rate chance published before the event comes out.
  • Worthington3
    Worthington3
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 713
    edited 12 Oct 2016, 3:55AM
    @KIXEYE Swag

In your livestream, you mentioned that you are in favor of a randomized mechanic for drops.  While I personally, am opposed to that, it does work in a game that has trading (such as MTG).  Without the ability to trade, however, most of the player base ends up getting items that they will never use.  For example, I am a top-tier player, and I have had to buy pretty much all of my Nighthawk Mk4s.  I almost never get any Carrier patterns, but other people seem to have the opposite problem.

If you are going to do randomized drops, can we put in a trading mechanic into the game so that we can, say, sell our items to other players for coins.
    In addition, if we are going to do random drops, we need to have the exact drop rate chance published before the event comes out.
    If we're going to randomized drops then I won't be staying with this game. Sorry, but I've done my share of random dice rolls in Warcraft. Never again.

I expect BPs from events/riots. BPs that have set costs. 'Reusables' are fine for CW prizes as they keep things in more balance.

From my perspective, box prizes are an indication that the company wants to squeeze more time and money out of it's players. Or that it hasn't figured out how to counter power creep. Or both.
  • ChandraArgentis
    ChandraArgentis
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 1,120
    @KIXEYE Swag

If we're going to randomized drops then I won't be staying with this game. Sorry, but I've done my share of random dice rolls in Warcraft. Never again.

I expect BPs from events/riots. BPs that have set costs. 'Reusables' are fine for CW prizes as they keep things in more balance.

Our new CM has stated his love of random drops, citing experience with MMOS and MTG.  It was mentioned that they may be less random than this last event.  
    All I have to say is that, it had better be, because if it's this random again, I'll pass.  I got literally nothing I could use out of any of the boxes I got.  As an event geared at endgame players, this seems badly off.

I believe (apologies to SWAG if I misquote) that the drops will start including a guaranteed item and a random drop.
  • Wingman646
    Wingman646
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2016 Posts: 443
    I feel random is fine so long as there IS a guaranteed prize/award attached. Could you imagine "Search and Destroy" with random?!?! It would be total chaos.

We already cried foul about the first Alien Mobilization....we'll see if the "play testing" actually produces results that are favorable to the player base.
    Image may contain: 1 person, textWill Harbin is the CEO of Kixeye...he's the main man. Not Paul Preece. #TeamHARBINger