Community management

ChandraArgentis
ChandraArgentis
Incursion Leader
Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 1,120
edited 11 Oct 2016, 5:06AM
Well, I think it's clear when looking at the communication that we recently took a hit on our community management quality.  Our last CM may not have replied to everything (and who could), but he at least talked to us and answered questions.  Our newest CM seems to be just a PR mouthpiece.

Now, in our new CM's defense?  He was handed the job right before the worst event in recent history at a time when we are all witnessing power creep turn into power leaps.  Frankly, we're all frustrated, and the PR response of, "We're looking into it." isn't helping anything.  

We all want answers and we're used to getting at least something. 

We don't need PR.  We need answers.  
We don't need more power creep.  We need things to level off - soon.
We don't need mass silencing.  We need the free air to vent frustrations and be heard.
The more you silence us, the more you will drive us away.
If you bottle us up, we will become fed up.
Hear us, or lose us.  All of us.

MOD Edit: Do not question MOD actions on the forums. -TO
  • Fajar Priyanto
    Fajar Priyanto
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 335

Well it looks like they forget that the company needs players. Not the other way around. I don't need vega to have fun. I've been loyal but the silencing are getting into my nerve. Let's see if this gets deleted.

• ChandraArgentis
    ChandraArgentis
    Incursion Leader

Well it looks like they forget that the company needs players. Not the other way around. I don't need vega to have fun. I've been loyal but the silencing are getting into my nerve. Let's see if this gets deleted.

I anticipated that possibility before I even posted it.
  • ToyotaObsession
    ToyotaObsession
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 5,983
    You're not going to get "free air" to do as you please. Posting on the forums means agreeing to Kixeye's rules. If you post within the rules go nuts. If a post/thread falls outside of those rules it will be dealt with accordingly. Again the idle threats of let us do what we want or we'll leave fall on deaf ears and will not work. 

The past is the past and going forward this is what's going to expected of everyone who chooses to use the forums. 
    The Rules we talk about constantly
    Report hackers because of the rules.
    Submit a ticket if you qualify.

Questions? Concerns? PM me.                                            image
  • ToyotaObsession
    ToyotaObsession
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 5,983
    You're not going to get "free air" to do as you please. Posting on the forums means agreeing to Kixeye's rules. If you post within the rules go nuts. If a post/thread falls outside of those rules it will be dealt with accordingly. Again the idle threats of let us do what we want or we'll leave fall on deaf ears and will not work. 

The past is the past and going forward this is what's going to expected of everyone who chooses to use the forums. 

...and there it is.  Moved to a dead forum and silenced.  I see you met with my worst expectations.  Good job.
    This is the section of the forum for offering feedback. This is exactly where Swag goes to read your comments. It's the exact opposite of silenced it's putting it directly where it will be most likely seen by the person you want to see it. 

Think of this as a new Forum where things will go where they belong and rules will be followed. You can be down in the dumps about it and think of it as a punishment or you can use it to your advantage and adapt. 
    The Rules we talk about constantly
    Report hackers because of the rules.
    Submit a ticket if you qualify.

Questions? Concerns? PM me.                                            image
  • Spask Crondusk
    Spask Crondusk
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 2,289
    the community is already adapt to how things were while LXC was around giving us good constructive feedback and let us know what we did wrong as we speak our mind to think different which was a good way to have communication to the community as well as how experience he was in forum, but now that he is gone, which leaves you guys here. since you guys are new to this forum as CM and MOD let me just say this and i will let others have their say on it. We the community have been in vega conflict forum for long time and few other vet's that been playing vega here longer then us, may have a good experiences on how forum work as well. so we will like to work together if you can better understand us better so you guys can get a better look on our points of view of how we see things.
  • Khemul
    Khemul
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 1,436

@ToyotaObsession said:

This is entirely your right and the right of the CM. You all control the forum. But be realistic, this whole "this is the way its gonna be, live with it or stfu" is the worst approach a business can take.

Yes there are rules. There is also custom and precedent. To the community, the latter are more important. They are how the rules have been interpreted and enforced for years. Coming in and saying "heres the new way things will go" is going to be a very bumpy road. You're basically rebuilding this community at gunpoint. You may look at it as just enforcing the existing rules, but from the perspective of precedent you are rewriting them entirely and expecting everyone to know beforehand what you are doing. Good luck keeping everyone calm and rational.

That isn't a threat by the way. Just human nature. You come in and tell people everything is going to change, they are going to react in a negative way. Even irrational way. Just the way people are.

• TheBAM
    TheBAM
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2014 Posts: 405
    Khemul said:

@ToyotaObsession said:

This is entirely your right and the right of the CM. You all control the forum. But be realistic, this whole "this is the way its gonna be, live with it or stfu" is the worst approach a business can take.

Yes there are rules. There is also custom and precedent. To the community, the latter are more important. They are how the rules have been interpreted and enforced for years. Coming in and saying "heres the new way things will go" is going to be a very bumpy road. You're basically rebuilding this community at gunpoint. You may look at it as just enforcing the existing rules, but from the perspective of precedent you are rewriting them entirely and expecting everyone to know beforehand what you are doing. Good luck keeping everyone calm and rational.

That isn't a threat by the way. Just human nature. You come in and tell people everything is going to change, they are going to react in a negative way. Even irrational way. Just the way people are.

This is the way it should've been done since the beginning. This isn't the "new" way. It's always been like this.
  • Khemul
    Khemul
    Incursion Leader

@TheBAM said:
    Khemul said:

@ToyotaObsession said:

This is the way it should've been done since the beginning. This isn't the "new" way. It's always been like this.

For one, it can't be both "the way it should've been done since the beginning" and "always been like this". Those are mutually exclusive statements.

Second, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that the method they are going about it is going to have very easily predictable results. No statement of intent, no warning, just a sudden and rapid shift in stance with a stoic "this is how it is, don't like it then leave" is going to have an equally harsh response from users. But that is Kixeye in a nutshell. They seem allergic to gentle PR-style communications. Just post the TOS in the general discussion forum with a statement from Swag saying they will more strictly enforce the rules for now on and they can defuse a lot of the hostility. Instead they'll have the new mods simply assert power, which many will see as arrogant and abusive.

• Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,736
    KIXEYE.com Community Rules - 2015/03/09  https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/530465

The Forums Rules have been in place since day 1 and was last updated on March 9th, 2015.

The MODs from BP are in VC temporarily.  We we be returning to the seas when CM Swag has additional VC MODs in place.  Until then the BP MODs are doing quadruple duty.   We have BP, BP Forums, VC Forums and most importantly our families to try and give each the time they deserve.

We aren't here to try and guide the VC players in the finer points of VC game play.  

We are here to simply get VC forums back under control since it has become a spece version of the wild west with more or less total lawlessness.  VC MOD Todd7123 is doing a great job, but is only one person trying to keep the community under control, answer question and enforce the forums rules.  CM Swag is new to VC and is taking the reins where LXC left off.  Be patient and work with him, not against him.  He's a great CM many of you have never heard of before but is not new to the CM position at Kixeye.

The BP MODs totally get the VC players don't want us their great expanse of outer space.  To be honest,  we like the open waters of BP more, but we all come over on our own when we heard VC was forums was in trouble.  All the MODs of all the Kixeye games volunteer to do this job for no compensation because we all love the game we MOD for and Kixeye in general.  

BP has had its own share of meltdowns from events that didn't run smoothly for whatever reason.  We aren't in VC to try and take over.  We know the importance of communication between the community and the game team.  When forums is in 5 alarm meltdown, order has to be restored so the lines of communication can get reopened and things can get fixed.

I hope this has helped the community to understand what's going on.
  • Khemul
    Khemul
    Incursion Leader

That is a great post Laredo. Which sorta goes to the avoidance of official statements (not your fault, thats the job of other people) since that post would have been a great introduction for when all the temporary mods started helping out here.

Kixeye could have saved you all a lot of aggrevation by just saying what you just said from the start. It was the uncertainty and sudden shift in tone that caused so much hostility towards the mods.

• Spask Crondusk
    Spask Crondusk
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 2,289

That comment should have been put to the start but this is acceptable, just remember to state your reason and we will all understand. That's the only way for the community to understand you guys. I am glad you guys are open now that these question we have been answer. There is one thing in my mind that is buging to ask you guys: when will we get experience people that been playing vega a long time and applying to be CM?

• Revann
    Revann
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 2,399

@ChandraArgentis said:
    ToyotaObsession said:

ChandraArgentis said:

ToyotaObsession said:

...and there it is.  Moved to a dead forum and silenced.  I see you met with my worst expectations.  Good job.

This is the section of the forum for offering feedback. This is exactly where Swag goes to read your comments. It's the exact opposite of silenced it's putting it directly where it will be most likely seen by the person you want to see it. 

Think of this as a new Forum where things will go where they belong and rules will be followed. You can be down in the dumps about it and think of it as a punishment or you can use it to your advantage and adapt. 

In that case, you should be consistent.  I do realize that way too much stuff gets posted in the General board.  It's been a problem ever since I started playing, and it is rare to see anything done about it.  That being said, over half the recent posts in the general chat are feedback.  I suggest that you should move all of the Alien Event feedback to this board as well.

They did do something about it. They started merging threads and locking inappropriate discussions. All of you started bugging out telling them they were wrong.

-Git Gud 
  • EternalDestroyer
    EternalDestroyer
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 46

Great post Laredo, and Swag, thank you for just posting more often

• ChandraArgentis
    ChandraArgentis
    Incursion Leader
    edited 12 Oct 2016, 3:46AM
    Tune in for the Battle Vortex show tonight; I'll have some answers for you.

I listened in tonight.  I must say, your words speak well of the future of Vega, though has spawned several other ideas (that I've shared in the feedback forum).  I they are, however,  just words at this time, I am unfortunately forced to reserve my excitement until I see actual results.  We've been jerked around too much before for me to believe everything I hear.  Time will tell if it is mere lipservice or not, but I am much more hopeful than I was a few days ago.

I also thank whoever it was to restoring some order to this forum, by means of moving this back to general.  
    I do agree that there needs to be better use of all the other forums, but there needs to be some announcement of a forum cleanup before such things before such tactics are used the way we have seen recently.
  • Medallas
    Medallas
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2015 Posts: 428
    the community is already adapt to how things were while LXC was around giving us good constructive feedback and let us know what we did wrong as we speak our mind to think different which was a good way to have communication to the community as well as how experience he was in forum, but now that he is gone, which leaves you guys here. since you guys are new to this forum as CM and MOD let me just say this and i will let others have their say on it. We the community have been in vega conflict forum for long time and few other vet's that been playing vega here longer then us, may have a good experiences on how forum work as well. so we will like to work together if you can better understand us better so you guys can get a better look on our points of view of how we see things.
    Agree to Kixeye's rules and don't be salty, just let us have fun.

SWAG, thanks for your awesome JOB I think we can agree you are almost as good as LXC!
  • jayse069
    jayse069
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 472

Lol.... this influx of army of new mods (no doubt from **** I mean battle pirates) is pretty much the icing on the cake.

After not playing for the lame event and having fun playing other games, i"ve been contemplating leaving this game after almost 2 years. Just when I thought this place couldn't get any worse... it has.

I"ve had enough of a game that still acts like it's in beta, and a forum that is trying to silence the players so it appears like everything is great when its not. Appears I'm not the only one since 3 friends have left this weekend and I'm hearing others are as well.

Kixeye has sucked it's last bit of money from my wallet. Not sure if i"m gonna scrap my stuff, leave it dormant, or give it to a friend that would enjoy having all the toys. Time to move on.....

• Revann
    Revann
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 2,399

@jayse069 said:
    Lol.... this influx of army of new mods (no doubt from **** I mean battle pirates) is pretty much the icing on the cake.

After not playing for the lame event and having fun playing other games, i"ve been contemplating leaving this game after almost 2 years. Just when I thought this place couldn't get any worse... it has.

I"ve had enough of a game that still acts like it's in beta, and a forum that is trying to silence the players so it appears like everything is great when its not. Appears I'm not the only one since 3 friends have left this weekend and I'm hearing others are as well.

Kixeye has sucked it's last bit of money from my wallet. Not sure if i"m gonna scrap my stuff, leave it dormant, or give it to a friend that would enjoy having all the toys. Time to move on.....

Quitterz never win

-Git Gud