Ion Modular uses?

PhantomRanger
PhantomRanger
Minor Nuisance
Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 271
This Ion Modular has to be the only special item i never use....
I am aware of its abilities but

What is it primarily used for in PVE and PVP? When is it a good time to use?
  • Worthington3
    Worthington3
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 713
    Add Scatter Launcher to that list.

Sole exception being a SICO-based basing fleet I guess?
  • Eidola
    Eidola
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 353

I've read that before my time most explosive weapons didn't have spread so that special is a relic of sorts.

Ion mod for burst cutters

• TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,389
    Ion modulator increases damage to shields, so enemy ships die faster. What's there not to understand about its application in PvP/PvE?

Aurora rays III x4 does 224 damage per second to armor | 280 damage per second to shields

If you put Ion modulator V - It does 190 damage per second to armor | 414 damage per second to shields

It's one of the better weapon boosters, but I usually choose Ion modulator I since it's most efficient. High level cruisers and cutters often have a lot more armour than shields
  • Worthington3
    Worthington3
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 713
    Ion modulator increases damage to shields, so enemy ships die faster. What's there not to understand about its application in PvP/PvE?

Aurora rays III x4 does 224 damage per second to armor | 280 damage per second to shields

If you put Ion modulator V - It does 190 damage per second to armor | 414 damage per second to shields

It's one of the better weapon boosters, but I usually choose Ion modulator I since it's most efficient. High level cruisers and cutters often have a lot more armour than shields
    Cutter has like 7k armor and 3500 shields max. Cruisers could be about the same. Maybe more shields, though that'd be dumb given the MK bonus of cruisers.

Why would I nerf myself against the defense type I'll be hitting more of just so that I can tear through the other defense type slightly faster?

Unless you're fighting something sporting more shields than armor Ion is worthless.
  • TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,389
    edited 29 Sep 2016, 5:41AM

Cutter has like 7k armor and 3500 shields max. Cruisers could be about the same. Maybe more shields, though that'd be dumb given the MK bonus of cruisers.

Why would I nerf myself against the defense type I'll be hitting more of just so that I can tear through the other defense type slightly faster?

Unless you're fighting something sporting more shields than armor Ion is worthless.
    You don't look like you know what you're talking about when you say cruisers have about the same shields as cutters.
    Mate, you need to do some maths before ignorantly dismissing something useful.

Most cruisers have Spectral V x2 or Metaphase III x2 which resists 12960/11520 energy damage.
    Let's say a fully equipped Mark V Apoc has Spec V x2 and 9000 armor, this means with Ion Mod V and Aurora III x4:

It takes 31 seconds to punch through the shields.
    It takes 47 seconds to punch through the armour.
    Total 78 seconds to destroy. At the cost of mass equivalent to 120% of an Aurora III

Without Ion Mod V:

It takes 46 seconds to punch through shields
    It takes 40 seconds to punch through armour
    Total 86 seconds to destroy.

If you use Ion Mod I with Aurora III x4:

It takes 40 seconds to punch through shields.
    It takes 42 seconds to punch through armor.
    Total 82 seconds to destroy. At the cost of the mass equivalent to 24% of an Aurora III.

Now I'm not saying Ion Mod is amazing, but it is useful a lot of the time - I only prefer Ion Mod I because it's most efficient.

The only time when you don't want Ion Mod I is if:

0.05 * enemy ship amour > 0.2 enemy ship shields 

This can greatly vary if you're fighting battleships or tanky cruisers.

• PhantomRanger
    PhantomRanger
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 271
    Thank you all for this knowledge!