How to stop making long term players pay the bills

CaptainBloodbeard
CaptainBloodbeard
Greenhorn
Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 18
If you want to actually make some money on this game, my first suggestion would be to offer new players $5 quick build coins that complete the build immediately that work until level 50 or 60.  Say 20 chips for $5 (depending on currency of course) and/or 5 chips for $2 that EACH complete the build (ship or building) immediately.  Any chips after level 50-60 must be earned (can be bought from a special offer) or from a random drop.  They can be bought after level 60 for whatever equals coin.  Make it so an occasional (immediate) chip can be obtained from a rare random drop (% determined by you) as you complete things similar to blueprints. Everyone knows most money on these FB games comes from the early players that eventually quit.  This makes it so people that are determined and continue to play do not foot the entire bill for playing and it makes it more affordable for them.  This is good because devoted players get to keep playing and quitters that pay a couple bucks here and there help cover their costs. This is a good game and I hate to see it go down the tubes because you seem to be working hard to make long term players pay ALL the bills.  
  • CaptainBloodbeard
    CaptainBloodbeard
    Greenhorn
    All the other games seemed to figure this out and you may be thinking that you don't want to be like the other games but I personally cannot tell you how many times I paid that $1.99 to get a bonus and learned later I did not like the game, but in this game I have stayed for MONTHS, loving it, waiting for a special offer to get a lower rate, still staying and loving it.  I have watched my lower level made more difficult in the effort to generate more money and am very disappointed.  I want to stay even (level 48) though I know at level 50 my base will be incessantly be attacked because there are no rules after 50 (which I think a 20 level higher rule should be applied after 50).  I am still here and I think you could get more players that would stay if you made it so that more people got exposure and a recieved a taste of faster builds.  I would have certainly paid some smaller fees for fast builds.  I do not appreciate the $0.20 per hour when you have 15 day (or longer) builds.  It starts getting insane when you could get early (quick spend) players to foot some of the costs, it would be more palatable
  • CaptainBloodbeard
    CaptainBloodbeard
    Greenhorn
    Make me an offer ....  Once in a while, maybe holidays, do a 50% deal.  Entice me to buy coin!  Let me save money to wait for that special day to help fund a game I love.  All the above ideas could help the players that want to continue playing and at the same time help you generate funds instead of increasing defenses trying to produce funds by making the game harder.
  • CaptainBloodbeard
    CaptainBloodbeard
    Greenhorn
    All the above ideas are feasible and productive ideas.   Many are proven to work.  It's not thievery if people elect to pay and enjoy the time they spent playing.  
  • SSQUID
    SSQUID
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 1,227
    edited 31 Mar 2016, 2:06AM
    u make the assumption that growth is profit
    that's not the formula,its start growing then contract player base and milk the idiots
    its an outdated model that just refuses to die
    lets put it this way,have u ever seen a BP commercial anywhere?,tv,radio,a billboard?,they don't care about growth
    just whale retention and short term paychecks
    its a niche game,in a dead model,milking fools for 100's a month and much more
    just enjoy the ride and try not to be the cow they milk
    spend some money here and there,but don't spend money u wouldn't light on fire drunk with ur buddies
    bottom line,,just chill and enjoy the cries of the whales
    nice sleeping music

• kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 4,914

@CaptainBloodbeard said:
    If you want to actually make some money on this game, my first suggestion would be to offer new players $5 quick build coins that complete the build immediately that work until level 50 or 60.  Say 20 chips for $5 (depending on currency of course) and/or 5 chips for $2 that EACH complete the build (ship or building) immediately.  Any chips after level 50-60 must be earned (can be bought from a special offer) or from a random drop.  They can be bought after level 60 for whatever equals coin.  Make it so an occasional (immediate) chip can be obtained from a rare random drop (% determined by you) as you complete things similar to blueprints. Everyone knows most money on these FB games comes from the early players that eventually quit.  This makes it so people that are determined and continue to play do not foot the entire bill for playing and it makes it more affordable for them.  This is good because devoted players get to keep playing and quitters that pay a couple bucks here and there help cover their costs. This is a good game and I hate to see it go down the tubes because you seem to be working hard to make long term players pay ALL the bills.  

Not the most balanced idea....

• ToyotaObsession
    ToyotaObsession
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 5,983
    All the above ideas are feasible and productive ideas.   Many are proven to work.  It's not thievery if people elect to pay and enjoy the time they spent playing.  
    Please point me to where these ideas "work" then point me where they work for a freemium model? 

People seem to forget that Kixeye has already bucked the freemium trend by still being around for as long as they have. 
    The Rules we talk about constantly
    Report hackers because of the rules.
    Submit a ticket if you qualify.

Questions? Concerns? PM me.                                            image
  • filmbryan1
    filmbryan1
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 5,865
    edited 31 Mar 2016, 7:48AM
    I like the idea in theory except for one problem. Say in a coop situation an alli gets a low level player a top hull. The low level player will jump very quickly in lvl. In some cases that player would jump past lvl 50. If that happens before they have obtained other important tech, they will actually be behind moreso in some ways and an even bigger farm. That would cause them to lose time on their future builds. Especially with the new turret power that has been introduced that player would be an even bigger target.
    You will only receive my scorn from this point forward
  • kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 4,914

Paints bullseye on the back of Bloodbeard