In this game, when it comes to the lower level players (those below 40) there is nothing more important than controlling how fast you level up and what you do with the time you spend before reaching level 40. You'll hear many say stock up on res, get as much as you can and so on. I'm going to tell you the opposite and break another common mindset of the LL's. Do NOT research everything as soon as you can. Instead, keep these pointers in mind:
1. Rapier missiles are useless once you have cutlass 1, I personally would never research them if I was starting over.
2. Thuds rock at the lower levels.
3. Torpedos are more useful than missiles when it comes to salvages and fvf at your level.
4. Pay attention to the Advanced Lab and what you do in it. A good example is Cannon Systems will give you less experience points than researching hardened barrels and auto loaders (plus the systems add less weight to a ship)
5. Do your missions and shoot to get Speed System 3. If you get it you get to skip Engines and Thrusters until AFTER level 40.
6. Use smaller ships to do missions so you don't take home res you don't need. Only use your bigger boats when you must get lots of res.
7. When you BP hunt find someone else to take the res to their base if you don't need it.
8. Keep your bubble while your young. Use the time it's popped to practice hitting bases and doing fvf.
9. Do the raids, go for the best item you can get with what you have. Again, if you don't take home a ton of res then you won't level up quick.
10. Always have 1 upgrade going and a research on everything else while a ship is building and a rocket in your launchpad or building. NEVER let your workers rest.
11. Walls are great to upgrade, but turrets are what really dishes out the damage in the end so upgrade those to the next level and THEN the walls. If your turret is level 3 then you can upgrade the walls to 3, if a single turret is level 2, wait to upgrade the walls.
12. Participate in fvf with some of the bigger players, pick fvf battles and be willing to lose with your chin held high. What you learn in these battles will teach you more than you can imagine.
13. When you see coords posted in comms go view them. If there is a battle, watch it. Pay attention to what works and doesn't work. See how some make their fleets live longer while others crash quickly.
Good Luck Admirals.