So, what direction is Kixeye taking Battle Pirates?

Angus Walker
Angus Walker
Minor Nuisance
Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 233
edited 17 Jan 2014, 11:01AM

I imagine the odds of this post getting trolled are high, but here goes anyway:

The forums are always full of complaints, ranging from exasperation to conspiracy-theory-fuelled rage, about the direction Kixeye is taking Battle Pirates. I know- I have contributed to a number of threads myself, and certainly some of Kixeye’s actions have been pretty indefensible (*cough* Meteor Mortar *cough*).

However it has to be said that in their own special way Kixeye have responded to some of the real core complaints that have been swilling around on these forums for ages, and maybe deserve some credit for doing so.

1)      The threat to the long term viability of the game posed if lower levels can’t compete and leave.

·        Piranha drones in base defence

·        Alliance guarding

I’m not saying these things aren’t profoundly irritating (they are), but they have certainly kept a lot of level 40-50s in the game who might otherwise have left.

2)      The apparent gearing of the game towards the mega-coiners.

·        The December raid

·        Requiring rep points to retrofit Drac hulls

·        Boosting repair times on Hellstrikes

The December raids let anyone prepared to grind it out get pretty much any hull they wanted with minimal coining. The thing about rep points is that they cannot be bought. However many mega-fleets you coin you still have to graft to get those rep points, which evens the playing field a little. As to the repair times on HS issue- totally unfair I know, but it does act as a tax on the mega-coiners, which is fine by me.

3)      The “unfairness” of high levels flattening low (most of these sorts of threads are whining of course, but there is an element of justifiable concern there, linked to number 1, plus no one wants to see totally one-sided battles all the time).

·        The medal system

Yes, I know that some aspects of the medal system are crap and that the 50% damage rule is a joke. Yes I know that Kixeye probably only introduced medals to encourage more aggressive play and hence more repairs and more temptation to coin. And yes, I know people exploit the system. BUT, the point is that medals provide a measure that is much better than player level for determining whether a match will be even or not. The system also means that the bullies who used to like intimidating level 40s can now get their kicks from racking up medals, and to do that they have to ignore the non-aggressive players (they don’t want to risk losing a hatful of medals by crashing in a base) and go after other big hitters instead. And best of all, there are no actual rewards attached to medals, so if you want to ignore them completely, you can.

4)      Cheaters and hackers.

·        Not sure if they have gone far enough on this one, but the recent wielding of the ban hammer is a good sign as far as I am concerned- at least it has got people thinking. And if a few innocent players get caught up too, well it’s not exactly a Nazi purge (whatever various over-excited forum contributors may say). There are plenty of other games out there to play.

5)      Dry dock.

·        Retrofit lab

Actually quite a creative solution, I think. The frustration has always been that you can only do one thing at a time to improve your fleets. Now you can do two. It isn’t what people asked for, but it does allow the careful strategic thinker to significantly increase the rate at which he/she develops in terms of fleet capability. It isn’t a simple “make things better now” butten, but do we really want that in a game whose essence is all about long-term strategic thinking leading to incremental improvements.

• LordSmithers
    LordSmithers
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 2,023

And if a few innocent players get caught up too, well it’s not exactly a Nazi purge (whatever various over-excited forum contributors may say). There are plenty of other games out there to play.

Try saying that if you got unjustly banned from a game you put time and money into. Not saying that necessarily has happened, but you're passing that concept off as something that's acceptable - which it isn't.

Nobody cares about what stupid ships you won.
  • B_B..arghh
    B_B..arghh
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 680
    edited 17 Jan 2014, 11:49AM

Great post but on the recent hammer on slaught  if one person has been banned and does not deserve it , that is one person to much , no player should be banned if he does not deserve it , only reason i can agree with someone getting banned is by hacking ie cheating , any other breach of terms and conditions should have a more tolerant line ie warning , suspension then a ban if same offense happens , How ever in the land of Kix it does not go along the lines of Banned with discussion but  they will not respond to emails , they will not even show you there side of an argument , even in a shop if you get banned for shop lifting you can see the proof and argue the case :-/ , if Kix was more open about reasons the innocent ppl could defend them selves how ever at the moment its impossible .So I am not surprised people rant about the conspiracy of banning ppl to make them coin to get strong again or the other theories people have come up with , I say kixeye should openly discuss either on forums or in private with individuals why the hammer was slung at them and not press the button and not discuss it further . 

playing for fun , not for a 2nd job !
  • Faolchu
    Faolchu
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 247

That is a nicely laid out post, I don't agree 100% with all the points but it is a very well written especially considering the nature of a lot of forum posts these days makes it even more appreciated.

That being said and I don't want to turn this into a conversation about bans but, as stated above one wrongly banned person is one too many and it would be nice if people pushed not only for more action against cheaters but to clear the name of innocent people too rather than just "oh well move along to another game".

• well now hahaha
    well now hahaha
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 150

i am glad the hammer came down.its to bad many that have been caught were seeing so many others glitch repairing over the last month and decided to do the same it shows their weakness in morality. if ya cheat you should be banned . dont stop looking kix there are many more out there that have been blantently cheating . keep up the good work.

• B_B..arghh
    B_B..arghh
    Strike-force Captain
    Faolchu said:

That is a nicely laid out post, I don't agree 100% with all the points but it is a very well written especially considering the nature of a lot of forum posts these days makes it even more appreciated.

That being said and I don't want to turn this into a conversation about bans but, as stated above one wrongly banned person is one too many and it would be nice if people pushed not only for more action against cheaters but to clear the name of innocent people too rather than just "oh well move along to another game".

Agreed Faolchu , all the legit players should report anything suspect as it effects every ones game but there has to be a way to be able to show proof of offense and then discuss it , even in public as it will be open , will not be open to speculation or rants , and it will also put ppl off from hacking if they know they will be shown as cheats openly and no hidden secrets , all the secrecy of bans does not help kix company view by players or potential players 

• Hitman007
    Hitman007
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 8,990

You may see forums full of people moaning however, most of people do not even come on forums, it's only a small % of people who come to forums.
    Report hackers and any other problems you may have by sending in a Ticket

If a MOD or a CM remove/close/edit/delete a thread or a post, there's a reason for it. Re-posting the same post/thread is a violation of forum rules

BP Glossary, Everything you need to know about BP Everything you should need to know about Battle Pirates
  • B_B..arghh
    B_B..arghh
    Strike-force Captain

I know Hitman bad news always travels faster than good news :P thats life , but i know from personal experience of friends how kix handle breach's of terms and conditions and they would do them selves a huge favor by being more open in public about such things , as at the moment some players wont send a ticket as they see nothing being done , some players are kicked off the game incorrectly , if its out in the open , the cheaters cant argue and the ppl who have done nothing wrong themselves can defend themselves , just my view of a fair way to do things   

• steveofthedeep
    steveofthedeep
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 6

It seems to me the programa ma designed to catch cheats has a flaw they are going off of ip addresses being identical but ips are often the same 

• EvilGeniusReborn
    EvilGeniusReborn
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 3,269

steveofthedeep said:

It seems to me the programa ma designed to catch cheats has a flaw they are going off of ip addresses being identical but ips are often the same 

They don't use IP addresses to ban.

Kixeye. Killing the game, one upgrade at a time.

• axeman1685
    axeman1685
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 128
    well said!  agree almost whole heartedly!

Great post but on the recent hammer on slaught  if one person has been banned and does not deserve it , that is one person to much , no player should be banned if he does not deserve it , only reason i can agree with someone getting banned is by hacking ie cheating , any other breach of terms and conditions should have a more tolerant line ie warning , suspension then a ban if same offense happens , How ever in the land of Kix it does not go along the lines of Banned with discussion but  they will not respond to emails , they will not even show you there side of an argument , even in a shop if you get banned for shop lifting you can see the proof and argue the case :-/ , if Kix was more open about reasons the innocent ppl could defend them selves how ever at the moment its impossible .So I am not surprised people rant about the conspiracy of banning ppl to make them coin to get strong again or the other theories people have come up with , I say kixeye should openly discuss either on forums or in private with individuals why the hammer was slung at them and not press the button and not discuss it further . 

• Carlos_M
    Carlos_M
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 130
    edited 17 Jan 2014, 3:51PM

"And if a few innocent players get caught up too, well it’s not exactly a Nazi purge (whatever various over-excited forum contributors may say)" says Angus walker...

very nice phrase for one...NAZI! 

one only innocent makes all the diference...

and if was you Angus Walker? i bet you was crying all over it here.

• Get_Off_My_Boat_Now
    Get_Off_My_Boat_Now
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 479

And if a few innocent players get caught up too, well it’s not exactly a Nazi purge (whatever various over-excited forum contributors may say). There are plenty of other games out there to play.

Try saying that if you got unjustly banned from a game you put time and money into. Not saying that necessarily has happened, but you're passing that concept off as something that's acceptable - which it isn't.

If for some reason a truly innocent is banned (highly unlikely) they can appeal it.  2 weeks age a insec group came to the sector I was in and we reported one of them for cheating and low and behold he was banned the next day.  However the next day he was no longer banned, so in conclusion if you are banned by a swing of the ban hammer and you are truly innocent you can send in a ticket to appeal it and they will take the correct action.  I don't have a lot of faith concerning kixeye and the things that they do, (ie. Meteor Mortar, and others), but I do have faith in their ability to wield the hammer.  To that I say Good Job Kixeye, you get credit where credit is do.

Soon a new game will come and all of Kixeye's customers will leave in droves and they will wonder "What Went Wrong?"
  • Icarus117
    Icarus117
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 37

Great post, very well thought out and put together.

• Carlos_M
    Carlos_M
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 130
    Hitman007 said:

You may see forums full of people moaning however, most of people do not even come on forums, it's only a small % of people who come to forums.

i usualy do not participate much in here, and are one valid reason for it Hitman, at least in mine point of view, right or wrong....i got tired of talking for nothing, i got tired of senting suport tickets whithout reply, etc...etc..etc.. kix never heard nothing they do not want hear, and they only reply to the "wales" so, why bother?

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 9,977
    Carlos_M said:
    Hitman007 said:

i usualy do not participate much in here, and are one valid reason for it Hitman, at least in mine point of view, right or wrong....i got tired of talking for nothing, i got tired of senting suport tickets whithout reply, etc...etc..etc.. kix never heard nothing they do not want hear, and they only reply to the "wales" so, why bother?

Please post the ticket numbers of the instances where CS failed to reply.  Could see about getting a second pair of eyes to look at them.

• tater_salad
    tater_salad
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 565

i play other games and its hilarious to read the forums on them as  or there facebook posts on the game..  guys complain about  same things on there as they do here im convinced its a small group of people  who level  the same complaints  in every game.

• DarkMethod
    DarkMethod
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 796
    I think this is a well thought out. And I agree with Wulf,.Number 3.
  • ChopOff
    ChopOff
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 924
    Carlos_M said:
    Hitman007 said:

Could not agree with you more...Hitman should not be a moderator as he does not have the skills to balance the various players thoughts and opinions and they should be a fundamental requirement for somebody in his position. Shall leave it at that as a certain somebody will be hitting the ban button.

On the post I would like to say well written and thought out; generally agree with most of it and it is nice to see a slightly warmer side of kixeye more recently; one could almost say they are starting to listen and react to feedback....but I suppose that could just be that the day-to-day playing figures were so poor they had to....around 40k to 60k at any one time was sad to see when you think of where it once was....at least we are back to about 70k to 80k now and long may that trend continue to grow.

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 9,977

Closing because, although the OP itself is well thought out and worthy of discussion, the discussion that followed veered into territory that is not allowed on the forums.  Had to delete a few individual posts.  Timing can make a difference; perhaps restart in a few days when the conversation is more apt to remain on topic.

This discussion has been closed.