Guide To The Weapons

rmike
rmike
Strike-force Captain
Joined May 2010 Posts: 709
edited 20 Apr 2011, 11:11AM
Guide to the weapons

Here is my second guide, a guide to the weapons. I give each weapon a grade, a summery, and a short description.

Let’s start with the Thud Cannon
Grade: A-
Summery: pretty good weapon, but has not so good range
Description: The Thud Cannon is your basic weapon it shoots cannonballs at a pretty good rate with pretty good accuracy and damage. It has nice weight and can take down little ships pretty well. It has a bad range although.It is a good beginner weapon.

Rapier Missiles
Grade:A
Summery: your hard working missiles
Description:This is one of your best weapons. It has decent accuracy, nice damage, and very nice range. This is what most people use. It can sometimes have an ok firing rate but that doesn’t put it down. I would recommend this weapon.

Diplomat Mortar
Grade:B
Summery: it is ok but not recommended
Description: The diplomat mortar has a decent damage but not good weight, range, or reload speed. This weapon does have an advantage. It has splash damage so it can take out clumps of ships. I would try this weapon to see if you like it before you go out and build fleets with it.

Ripper Cannon
Grade:C
Summery: Don’t use it
Description: Ripper Cannon was supposed to be a short range insta kill weapon. Unfortunately it is not. It is just too easy to get out of range and get sniped with missiles. DON’T DO IT.

Hydra Rockets
Grade:B+
Summery: Rmike want BIG BOOM Rmike get BIG BOOM
Description: Hydra rockets is what ripper cannon needs to be. It has horrible range and reload time but awesome damage. Let me show you. It shoots around 4-8 rockets per WEAPON and per ROUND. Each of those rockets go in about random place hitting around a spot 2 grids by 1 grid. The rockets are very damaging and SPLASH. Get 4 of those on a ship and get them close enough they will DESTROY the fleet. It would be good imo if it didn’t have the crappy range.

Cutlass Missiles
Grade: A+
Summery: A step up from the Rapier missiles these are better
Description: These missiles are the best weapon to use for long range attacks. You can pick off other ships easily. If you keep their weapons not in range you can theoretically destroy any fleet. /nuff said

Peacemaker Mortar???

Maelstrom Rockets???

Thank you for reading this

Did I miss anything:confused:

Do you like it:D
Do you Hate it:mad:

Post your opinion here:cool:
Thank you
Creater of the first BP Clan/Alliance: TR
Clan: Swashbucklers (ironic, very ironic)
BYM Level 40 as of 4/1/2011 UsID: 39934, Battle Pirates Level 28 as of 3/18/11 UsID: 799
Mostly use MAC OS X: Snow Leopard with Google Chrome
Thank You
  • Jangooon
    Jangooon
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 4,838
    Thanks for this.

P.S Are the last two in question marks because you have not unlocked them?
    Cant find the information you're looking for? Step right in!

"All the world will be your enemy, O Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."

Trying to post a picture of your base? Click here first.
    Proud Corsair of the Coast-you jelly?
  • rmike
    rmike
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 709
    Jangooon wrote: »
    Thanks for this.

P.S Are the last two in question marks because you have not unlocked them?

I haven't played with them enough to write about them. I will update my guide later...
    Creater of the first BP Clan/Alliance: TR
    Clan: Swashbucklers (ironic, very ironic)
    BYM Level 40 as of 4/1/2011 UsID: 39934, Battle Pirates Level 28 as of 3/18/11 UsID: 799
    Mostly use MAC OS X: Snow Leopard with Google Chrome
    Thank You
  • Benjamin Becker 2.0
    Benjamin Becker 2.0
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2010 Posts: 181
    longest range wns. staying on distance always works, as long as the opponent has shorter range.

to balance it a bit, missiles should do less damage, so fleets with shorter range and a good tactic at least stand a chance. if missiles would do less damage, a mix of weapons on a heavy fleet would make sense. long range weapons to destroy weak ships, short range weapons to destroy heavy fleets in close combats.
    <3 · 7r011 + n00b
  • skyhigh123
    skyhigh123
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2011 Posts: 411
    long range weapons dont work if the enemy gets too close, and with big ships it takes awhile to kill them so there is an opportunity to get close enough to them that you can attack them and they cant attack you back, just trap them at the edge of the map if they try to run.
  • Tabb
    Tabb
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jul 2010 Posts: 2,168
    I think you are underestimating the ripper. It can be extremely effective if placed on the right ship in the right fleet.

Be sure to thoroughly test the accuracy of the ambassador before writing about it. Its selling at 100%, but in reality is more like 50-60%. Maelstrom takes SO long to reload most times you fire it once, then you die. =]
    Corsair of the Coast
  • Mark Galleta
    Mark Galleta
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 238
    Yeah, I'd agree. Short range fleets could mow down pure long range fleets if the attack or defense is coordinated right.

You'll definately be taking damage though going short range.
    Pirate Battle: Lazu Level 31. Scourge of the Corsairs. >=D

Member of the first BP clan!
    {TR} http://forums.kixeye.com/group.php?groupid=57

and a SCUM of the sea!
    and a Proud Leviathan Bully!
    and The Southern Pirates!
  • Jim2
    Jim2
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 217
    I'm sorry mate but i gotta correct some of your descriptions.

correction, thud cannon lvl 4 has up to 37 range(it gets more range as it lvls)... which from my research is great range, the bad point is that there are much more powerful weapons out there and since it's ballistic, you have to actually click on the ship with this weapon and aim it at a target. Correct me if i'm wrong about the aiming since it's been weeks since i notice it not firing when i dont aim.

i would like to correct you on a few other weapons too, but i rather not have it used against me, so i will stop here XD.
  • Alistair Maher
    Alistair Maher
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 241
    Ripper cannon is better than the thud cannon. The only superiority that thud has over ripper is its larger range at high levels. Otherwise, ripper as better damage, better fire rate, better weight. Ripper deserves a normal "A" at least.
    I. Am. Aftermath.
    User ID: 48460 (BYM)
    User ID: 983 (BP)
  • Cameran We
    Cameran We
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 29
    Ripper cannon is better than the thud cannon. The only superiority that thud has over ripper is its larger range at high levels. Otherwise, ripper as better damage, better fire rate, better weight. Ripper deserves a normal "A" at least.

but it says that a lvl 4 has 50% accuracy, even the lvl 3 has only 60%. is it still that good?
  • Marcus Summa
    Marcus Summa
    Greenhorn
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 12
    Jim2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate but i gotta correct some of your descriptions.

correction, thud cannon lvl 4 has up to 37 range(it gets more range as it lvls)... which from my research is great range, the bad point is that there are much more powerful weapons out there and since it's ballistic, you have to actually click on the ship with this weapon and aim it at a target. Correct me if i'm wrong about the aiming since it's been weeks since i notice it not firing when i dont aim.

i would like to correct you on a few other weapons too, but i rather not have it used against me, so i will stop here XD.

I've seen this fact about ballistic weapons posted several times now and it is simply not true. All weapons will fire once they are in range. If your Thud Cannons are not firing your ship has probably stopped short of the enemy fleet. I use Ripper Cannons all the time without selecting a target.
  • Alistair Maher
    Alistair Maher
    Minor Nuisance
    Cameran We wrote: »
    but it says that a lvl 4 has 50% accuracy, even the lvl 3 has only 60%. is it still that good?
    The fire rate makes up for it. And anyway, a lvl 4 thud only has 20% more accuracy, but 50% less fire rate.
    I. Am. Aftermath.
  • afknadoa
    afknadoa
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 1,721
    have to say long range weapons are the way to go... just won a battle due to my enemy not being able to reach my ship...

edit: and i also had a battle when i had two barge and three marauder with long range weapons... and my opponent short range weapons and because of my negligence to see my opponents weapons i got destroyed... easily...

if you want to use short range weapons you have to make sure you have the faster fleet to use the weapons well... so having a battle against two equal size fleets means that you will be defeated because your opponent can snipe you before you get even close...

but if you have a faster(smaller) fleet then you can get close to your opponent(make sure you have good armor) and because your opponent has a minimum range your opponent has to "run away" to be able to avoid your range...
  • FireKiller87
    FireKiller87
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2010 Posts: 263
    Most missile-type weapons have minimum ranges too, so if you're using fast ships with close range weapons, you can easily just hug your enemy's ships and take out their entire fleet without suffering too much damage.

I like a combination of missiles and short-ranged cannons/rippers etc. so I can engage fleets from far away, move in close, and kill them while they can't fight back(assuming all they have are missile-type weapons).
    STRATEGY IS EVERYTHING!

Found in the yard criticizing section.

BP: Level 18 LilyFlame No Clan
    BYM: Level 36
  • No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,794
    Do not forget that 'range' is not a linear 'force multiplier'.

The AREA of targetability is four times as large if the range is doubled (i.e. 4 times as much sea area is inside the range circle).

This is particularly useful when you are fighting against more than one ship.

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,794
    Most missile-type weapons have minimum ranges too, so if you're using fast ships with close range weapons, you can easily just hug your enemy's ships and take out their entire fleet without suffering too much damage.

I like a combination of missiles and short-ranged cannons/rippers etc. so I can engage fleets from far away, move in close, and kill them while they can't fight back(assuming all they have are missile-type weapons).
    When your fleets are nothing but long-range missiles, just increase your ship separations if they are trying to get in close.
    That way, if they get inside one ship's envelope, they are still within others.

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Alistair Maher
    Alistair Maher
    Minor Nuisance
    A combination is no, IMO the way to go. Have ships that specialize in rippers or specialize in missiles. I have a fleet with 3 barges full of cutlass missiles with two marauders with full rippers riding shotgun. That fleet as only been beaten once.
    [EDIT]: IMO marauders are the best close range ships. They are not ridiculously slow like everything from barges up, but (when equipped with uranium or titanium armour) can withstand a few cutlass barrages.
    I. Am. Aftermath.
  • reese
    reese
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 270
    nah... i'd prefer a mix of all... like cutlass + peacemaker/maelstorm rockets for every ship...
    if u make a combo, then i'd rather target the long range ones first and knock out the lower range ones...
    which is kinda easy...
    as the previous post says, IMO, barges need like 2 low range weopons + 2 cutlass...
    I'm the Bloody Queen of ChAos..
    I created the cosmos... Goddess light my path!
  • Matthew Gruda
    Matthew Gruda
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 253
    i generaly use 2-3 high armor low range ships to keep my long range stuff safe and it works rather well

the trick is to have alot of armor and bring it in close for the ripper those ships get targeted while the others snipe w/ cutlass & malestrom
    BP: lv 29 id:5856 (Gster) wc: lv22, id: 1641
    to the whiners
    put techs back in wc!!! nerf solid fuel bosters!!!
    Just to be clear, you're asking on the developers forum if there is a hack for their game?
    That's what just happened right?
    The point of the infantry is to die before the expensive tanks do
  • lerige
    lerige
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 108
    did someone update the weapon list in this topic ?
  • Blazing_Darkness
    Blazing_Darkness
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 8,162
    lerige wrote: »
    did someone update the weapon list in this topic ?

No, there has been 2 game updates where the weapon stats have changed but both times no one updated this thread with the new stats or the other weapons that have since been unlocked. I say that this thread is outdated as most of the weapons have changed alot since it was made.
    TOME Name: Blaze    Favourite Guardians: Osric (Pusher), Malbus (Tank), Talia (Slayer), Erebus (Tactician)
    The Battle Pirate Glossary - Forum Rules - Support form
  • lerige
    lerige
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 108
    ok, thx M ;)

as soon as u have the good idea to build new list, let us know :)

c ya!
  • polkjm
    polkjm
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 26
    I get some 2-3 lvl peacemakers on my slow ships and some closer range weapons on every ship. The armor is VERY important. a good armor is very powerful. if you get some good defense on your whole fleet, it will be very hard to beat you. Then mix your weaponry to get good results. I suggest to always use uranium, it really pwns and its light, so you can get better weapons while having insane armor.
  • FireKiller87
    FireKiller87
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2010 Posts: 263
    polkjm wrote: »
    I get some 2-3 lvl peacemakers on my slow ships and some closer range weapons on every ship. The armor is VERY important. a good armor is very powerful. if you get some good defense on your whole fleet, it will be very hard to beat you. Then mix your weaponry to get good results. I suggest to always use uranium, it really pwns and its light, so you can get better weapons while having insane armor.

DP uranium is heavier than all three of the other armor types at all levels. However it's a lot stronger than any other armor. I'd say if you need space for a more powerful weapon, degrade your armor slightly(say, uranium 3 to uranium 1 or 2). I'm willing to bet that stronger weapons will eventually beat out stronger armor, because if you're fighting an enemy fleet with stronger armor but inferior weaponry, your weapons will eventually overwhelm your opponent's armor. This won't really work against somebody with equal firepower.

@Alistair: It's good to have specialization, but a smart opponent will take down your missile-type ships first. To distract the stronger, close-range ships, I can simply fly a floating fortress with DP uranium 4 in to absorb damage(if the enemy fleet doesn't have a human at the controls, it defaults to attacking the ship closest to itself, which can be easily exploited) while I eliminate your missiles. After that, I can simply charge in for the kill.

The best combo for taking out specializations is imo(i thought about this for a total of a minute) a floating fortress with mixed weapons(hydra, cutlass, ripper, maybe a mortar) supported by two close-range ships armed with either thuds or rippers, and two long range ships(I don't really know how to place ships in specific fleet positions, but close range should be next to the fortress, while the two long range ships should be positioned outside on the edge of the formation) armed with cutlass/rapier and/or mortars.

Maelstrom and cutlass share the max reload time of 8(frames? seconds?). I like the peacemaker because it has a long range(25-45), second only to maelstrom.
    STRATEGY IS EVERYTHING!

Found in the yard criticizing section.

BP: Level 18 LilyFlame No Clan
    BYM: Level 36
  • polkjm
    polkjm
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 26
    i love peacemakers because they have a huge splash and damage, so well... do what you want
  • Matt Jr Muhammad
    Matt Jr Muhammad
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 263

I couldn't fking agree more! There are inexperienced players (though they are of higher levels/amount of big ships) in my sector. I personally believe the Ripper cannon is one of the best weapons of BP. Some guy on my sector sparked this up, making fun of rippers and smothering his thud victories. n00b. First of all, rippers do more damage, better DPS, and yes, shorter range. Having shorter range has been the best advantage for me in-game. I'm able to hit ships without them having the ability to ever retailiate. Good with bigger ships. i call it the reverse bully. Rippers rule! xD
    OS: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (SnowLeopard) I'm no Pirate. I'm a Sailor!
    Battle Pirates.........:Hawke, Level 30, OP5, 1st Generation Sector 14 Chat.
    Backyard Monsters:Matt Jr, Level 41, TH8, 7OP.
    Strategy IS Everything! "Matt is a fountain of Knowledge" ~ James L. Zhang
    Download the Battle Pirates Base Planner for Excel right here.
    Leader of The Merchant's Mercenaries (BP Multi-Sector)
  • Blazing_Darkness
    Blazing_Darkness
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 8,162
    Any weapon can be the best weapon there is, it just depends how you use them.

For rippers I would put them on a marauder and get so close to a cutlass/peacemaker ship that it can't attack back, the bad thing is that while you are trying to get close up to them you will be getting fired apon so you will need alot of armor so your ships don't die before they get to there target. The best ship combination for rippers would be a marauder with DU III (2150 armor) with all rippers II's allowing it to easyly to get up close before getting destroyed.
    TOME Name: Blaze    Favourite Guardians: Osric (Pusher), Malbus (Tank), Talia (Slayer), Erebus (Tactician)
    The Battle Pirate Glossary - Forum Rules - Support form
  • Matt Jr Muhammad
    Matt Jr Muhammad
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 263
    The M wrote: »
    Any weapon can be the best weapon there is, it just depends how you use them.

For rippers I would put them on a marauder and get so close to a cutlass/peacemaker ship that it can't attack back, the bad thing is that while you are trying to get close up to them you will be getting fired apon so you will need alot of armor so your ships don't die before they get to there target. The best ship combination for rippers would be a marauder with DU III (2150 armor) with all rippers II's allowing it to easyly to get up close before getting destroyed.

Exactly, it's all about strategy. Every weapon has a balance to maintain fairness in game. Would it be unfair to have a gun that does high dmg, high dps, and very light weight at the same course? Yeah that's one way to get there. But my tactic doesn't require my ripper carrier to get damaged in the first place.
    OS: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (SnowLeopard) I'm no Pirate. I'm a Sailor!
    Battle Pirates.........:Hawke, Level 30, OP5, 1st Generation Sector 14 Chat.
    Backyard Monsters:Matt Jr, Level 41, TH8, 7OP.
    Strategy IS Everything! "Matt is a fountain of Knowledge" ~ James L. Zhang
    Download the Battle Pirates Base Planner for Excel right here.
    Leader of The Merchant's Mercenaries (BP Multi-Sector)
  • Guy Wood
    Guy Wood
    Greenhorn
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 11
    thank you.

I would add myself, that the thud cannons when fullly upgraded are amazing! Fully kit out a fleet with IV's and as long as you do not have any issues reaching the middle then you can fly through a base very quickly! walls or no walls.. haha
  • StormSquall
    StormSquall
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 26
    Best weapon is have a ship that covers all ranges. On all my ships there a ripper for those that think coming up on my ships going make you not get attacked. I have a ripper waiting for you. Try to balance out all ranges. Longboats with armor and rippers are so much fun...
    Your User ID is: 54603
    Storm Squall Sector 9 (386) Admiral_Hurricane (Now 66)