rearanging base near impossiable

• Joshua Tinker
    Joshua Tinker
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2011 Posts: 203
    *wonders why the author of quite a useful bym guide is such a dumbass pirate...*
    zl8600.png
  • Jangooon
    Jangooon
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 4,838
    To stop this thread from spiralling into a flame war, and to stop this guy from undermining our efforts to request a MUCH needed feature, this will be my last post on this thread
    Cant find the information you're looking for? Step right in!

"All the world will be your enemy, O Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."

Trying to post a picture of your base? Click here first.
    Proud Corsair of the Coast-you jelly?
  • Bunkerhater
    Bunkerhater
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 538
    Do not feed the trolls wiseman said. Joshua Id like to see your base and how it get owned by noobs. What you say is totally nonsense, one thing is switching items like a puzzle for 2 hours, discovering that you cannot go so far away from the center of your base etc. etc., one thing is a planner of some sort that make all lots more easier and actually possible in some points, because with all new buildings, like commanding office or whatever, if you base is done in a way it is impossible to go back. But maybe you only have few buildings still, well you will see.
    BYM yard, BP base.

My Outpost collection. Suggestions and comments (bad too) are really appreciated.

Fight with me. Not another gotcha-mind-distortion-junk.

BYM ID: 5998487 - BP ID: 9434 - Ubuntu 10.10 or XP, Chromium/Chrome - Firefox 3 (4 not working)
  • Bunkerhater
    Bunkerhater
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 538
    Jangooon wrote: »
    To stop this thread from spiralling into a flame war, and to stop this guy from undermining our efforts to request a MUCH needed feature, this will be my last post on this thread

Why you would do that... right now me and you are the only two people that are talking, I dont see any other. If I said something sad to you I apologyze.
    BYM yard, BP base.

My Outpost collection. Suggestions and comments (bad too) are really appreciated.

Fight with me. Not another gotcha-mind-distortion-junk.

BYM ID: 5998487 - BP ID: 9434 - Ubuntu 10.10 or XP, Chromium/Chrome - Firefox 3 (4 not working)
  • King Korihor
    King Korihor
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 382
    Do not feed the trolls wiseman said. Joshua Id like to see your base and how it get owned by noobs. What you say is totally nonsense, one thing is switching items like a puzzle for 2 hours, discovering that you cannot go so far away from the center of your base etc. etc., one thing is a planner of some sort that make all lots more easier and actually possible in some points, because with all new buildings, like commanding office or whatever, if you base is done in a way it is impossible to go back. But maybe you only have few buildings still, well you will see.

At the beginning of this thread, the complaint was that it seemed like a waste of time to have to rearrange your base and set up your defenses. I'd have to agree that doing so takes quite a bit of time, and can't be done in just a minute or two if you are trying to be intelligent in designing a base layout. There are enough buildings plus so much flexibility in terms of even deciding where to put land vs. sea plots that players have many options in terms of what to do. Bases aren't going to be looking identical because many different strategies are going to be employed in the base design.

That said, there are legitimate gripes such as not really knowing where the base center is located at that is a concern. It is frustrating when you are laying out the land squares of your base and you think of a really neat base layout, only to discover that you are at the edge of where you are even permitted to place land squares. That such a limit even exists is not apparent, much less that you can even find the "center" of the sea where you are building your base to be able to "move" the base to plan around that center.

I don't think it is "impossible" to fix problems in base design, as there are "excess" squares even if you have every single building built. It isn't easy, I'll agree, and sometimes you have to be creative in terms of rearranging the parts of your base, but problems can be fixed.

In terms of a base layout planner like exists in BYM, it would be a nice and useful tool. It isn't strictly necessary, but there are some nice features of the BYM tool which could be applied to Battle Pirates. Note, however, that takes time to develop as well as making it a priority in terms of developer time if that feature is to be implemented. If you want to be constructive, it might even be useful to debate about what features you might like to see in such a planning tool.

Some useful features in such a tool would be for me:
    • Identifying the "center" of the base from where you can arrange land squares
    • Displaying any "limits" in terms of how far in any given direction you can build land squares
    • The ability to place land and sea squares from within the planner
    • Displaying base weapon types and ranges (with a separate color for flak guns)
    • "Simulating" an attack by at least creating a "virtual boat" from within the planner that can at least identify the ranges of potential ship weapons that can attack the base. More on that below.

If the desire here is to come up with a planning tool, let's talk about what features you might like to see in that tool.

In terms of the "virtual boat", what I'm envisioning there is just something within the planner where you can either take various boats from your existing inventory (i.e. something you've already built) or have something like the ship designer for various hull types & weapons and then move it to various places around your base. It could even be simplified so it is just a generic "ship" where you only work with a single weapon type at a time and it is just a dumb block you can move from one place around your base to another... to view weapon ranges for potential attacks.

I'm not talking something like the Monster Baiter, although that might be fun to do too. What I'm trying to describe here is just something that displays a simple circle showing what can be hit, or if it can hide within the minimum hit range (with the base rapiers, for example), and can be adjusted to display what the weapon types can do in terms of damage, either the base weapons or the ship weapons.

Like I said, this will take time to develop, so don't get your hopes up that it would be available any time soon or even that it would be made at all. Still, legitimate suggestions like this are certainly something that can be discussed in terms of useful constructive criticism instead of devolving into a flamewar.
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    thanks for all the feedback.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.
  • cometed
    cometed
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 141
    mhm that i might just recoment just to point out the fact i created a huge thread ;)
  • Jangooon
    Jangooon
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 4,838
    Cant find the information you're looking for? Step right in!

"All the world will be your enemy, O Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."

Trying to post a picture of your base? Click here first.
    Proud Corsair of the Coast-you jelly?
  • Asian_Gangsta64
    Asian_Gangsta64
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 70
    Agreed. Its just way too hard. :mad:
    Battle Pirates
    Location: Sector 23~Alliance:Battle Pirates Sect.23 Alliance( Join at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191908950852082 ) 11 Members
    Fleets:5 Weapons Lab:6 Hull Lab:7 Outpost:4 Officers:5 Biggest Load:1,805,580 War Academy:5 Dock:7
    SECTOR 23 Alliance FTW:cool: