Base Attacking is now Live!

Paul Preece
Paul Preece
Skilled Warrior
Joined May 2010 Posts: 540
edited 17 Apr 2011, 6:54PM
Welcome to the new age of Battle Pirates! Your defenses and your resolve will be tested in the coming days as players are able to attack each other bases. Will you perform hit and run attacks looting resources buildings or will you flatten strategic assets leaving your opponents ships stuck in dry dock?

If you haven't built any defenses now is the time to start! And don't forget the anti-missile Flak Turret, the heart of any great defense...

You can read more about it in the news post here.

GL & HF!

Paul / Grrr
Paul Preece
KIXEYE co-founder / Battle Pirates creator / tear drinker
Please KIXEYE you must hurry, I can see it now, wives and girlfriends around the world are planning "dates" and "snuggle" time. Please save us from our significant others.
  • wahahas
    wahahas
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2010 Posts: 1,334
    So far I've seen that walls don't really help much. What's their function?
    BYM User ID: 471169
    BP User ID: 6175
    Browser: Google Chrome
    Flash version: 10.2.154.12

And please take a look at my base and comment :D.
  • Remco Volatile
    Remco Volatile
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 353
    Great that it is live now but is there any information about mortar/missile/turret/flak ranges ?
    These ranges seemed quite a bit longer in the preview than expected.

I want to (re)design my base and hoped this information would be posted with the update.
    Your happiness is our primary objective and everything that we do to improve the game is aimed at increasing it.
    robertg wrote: »
    ah ackabar and dredbull, kings of the trolls in the frontline together.
    all go to sleep, there is nothing to worry about, game is just fine, you just need to change all your settings to reduce lag a bit, offcourse all the new players will understand that and do that at once to play this wonderfull game.

doesn't play anymore, former userid : 59919
  • Yard
    Yard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 11,948
    Anyone tried it yet? Whats it like?
  • King Korihor
    King Korihor
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 382
    Yard wrote: »
    Anyone tried it yet? Whats it like?

I predict there are going to be a whole bunch of very ticked off people. It looks like the base defenses have been strengthened from the preview, which IMHO is a good thing, but it will be interesting to see just how much people will get pounded on.

There were bugs that needed to be worked out, and I still don't like the ship to ship combat changes.

The one thing I'm waiting to see is how the base protection works out once your base has been destroyed. The times were intentionally reduced with the preview, so the experience there simply won't help. I would hope that you have a couple of days breathing room before getting attacked again.
  • King Korihor
    King Korihor
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 382
    wahahas wrote: »
    So far I've seen that walls don't really help much. What's their function?

The walls stop weapons like the ship Thudder & Ripper Cannon... at least until the walls are destroyed. Basically if you have some towers and stuff closer to the sea vulnerable to close action combat, the walls do help out. If somebody has just Rapiers for defense, in theory you could get inside of their attack radius and take them out with a minimum of damage.... with the walls helping to add some more time before such a vulnerable spot can be exploited.

Otherwise, since missiles and mortars ignore walls, I agree their utility is much more limited than it would seem on the surface. Still, most ships do have at least some close in weapons, so it does stop those from being used on your base to destroy buildings for a bit.
  • charleschen
    charleschen
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2011 Posts: 13
    They really messed this up big time. the way things work now it is physically impossible to defend your oil rigs from fleets armed with cutlass missiles.
  • Q Rich
    Q Rich
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 37,470
    I'd suggest try redesigning your base, they can be defended, not easily admittedly - be thankful it is only the water based buildings that are easier to attack.
    Please do not contact me directly by Chat or via posts on my profile page. If I cannot deal with it on the forums, it should be taken straight to Support.
  • carwynpritchard+1
    carwynpritchard+1
    Master Tactician
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 2,345
    the ships are a bit buggy
    Hugs'N'Rainbows ****
    BPS2

If i seem nice i am gathering information so i can destroy you
  • Gio
    Gio
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 6,455
    where is the "view base" button???
    :3
    Playing Battle Pir... Woops, I mean Vega Conflict atm :P

Btw, I'm extremely lazy and all my posts have been deleted...
  • michaelasds
    michaelasds
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2010 Posts: 311
    if you have a really big island it's impervious to attack as 5 minutes of lag is not even enough to do a circle around the island with later ships, also killing someone else's dock put them out of action for a long time...
    {TR}The first Battle Pirates clan!!!!!
    ign:Michael
    lv: 29
    shogun 2: total war ftw!
  • Gio
    Gio
    Unicorn Overlord
    tbh, base attacking needs a lot to work on; lag, boats not moving when you say to move, 500% cargo o.O, and much more...

• masterman
    masterman
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 20
    attack is 5min lenght?

when i attack i get 2 min. or 3.... i cant move my ships
  • Ash Wailes
    Ash Wailes
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 109
    Gio wrote: »
    500% cargo o.O

And how many people would start complaining if they couldn't take all of their loot with them?
    Battle Pirates Name: Maze
    Located: Sector 2
  • Gio
    Gio
    Unicorn Overlord
    Ash Wailes wrote: »
    And how many people would start complaining if they couldn't take all of their loot with them?

That would suck, but 500% cargo isn't right either...

• DESTRO
    DESTRO
    KIXEYE
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 207
    We are always balancing, but we made a conscious decision to allow users to get 100% of the loot that they won from a base battle.
    CEO, KIXEYE 

All your base are belong to KIXEYE.
  • PhillipM
    PhillipM
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2010 Posts: 210
    There seems to be a bit of an issue where people can pounce on your fleet before you have actually ended the base battle (in my case 20s before the last time it happened), is anyone else getting that?
  • Backyard Bob
    Backyard Bob
    KIXEYE
    Joined Aug 2010 Posts: 2,874
    can I remind you all that this thread is not for posting bugs. If your base attacking isn't lasting 5 minutes then please report it in the Bug reports section, thank you.
  • Feydakin
    Feydakin
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2010 Posts: 47
    Too bad there isn't a way to opt out of base attacks.. Another CC game deleted.. A shame too.. I was sort of having fun when I had time to play just logging in an building..
    I like pie..

The existence of the flame thrower proves that at one time, some person said, "You know? I'd like to set that group of people on fire but they're too far away."
  • gamelearner
    gamelearner
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 449
    OKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOk-okay-ok!
  • rmike
    rmike
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 709
    Walls vs. hydra/malstrom = walls EPIC FAIL (they are useless)
    Missiles = USELESS
    Opinion: I will have to start making specialized fleets to attack bases
    FACT: with huge costs and huge times to upgrade harvesters I won't be doing that any time soon :'(
    Opinion: 5 min is too short to attack
    FACT: /nuff said
    Creater of the first BP Clan/Alliance: TR
    Clan: Swashbucklers (ironic, very ironic)
    BYM Level 40 as of 4/1/2011 UsID: 39934, Battle Pirates Level 28 as of 3/18/11 UsID: 799
    Mostly use MAC OS X: Snow Leopard with Google Chrome
    Thank You
  • NateRich
    NateRich
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 84
    Flaks are pretty crazy, but 2 cutlass ships can somewhat outmuscle one flak
    Mortars are nice for base attacking, range seems inconsistent though, I'd like to know how many units long a block of land is

I like the 5 minute length for attacks, but I think we should be able to move our ships where want them(without being able to use our weapons yet) and then press an attack button to start the 5 minute timer. As it is, on average, we only get about 3 minutes to work with, as sometimes we have to take long treks around a base.
  • YSASparhawk
    YSASparhawk
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2010 Posts: 323
    Feydakin wrote: »
    Too bad there isn't a way to opt out of base attacks.. Another CC game deleted.. A shame too.. I was sort of having fun when I had time to play just logging in an building..

There's always Farmville...
    HULK SMASH!!!

In the business of distributing citrus kudos.
  • Barabbas
    Barabbas
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2011 Posts: 841
    i think it's pretty cool, i awoke to my base in complete destruction, had to wait for everything to repair before getting my revenge on the guy, and it was sweet hehe. True it's a bit glichy at times, but i think the devs are doing a great job with the game, and we should all cut them a little slack.

my 2 cents.
    Barabbas 
  • Burn Nad Alejandro
    Burn Nad Alejandro
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2010 Posts: 343
    rmike wrote: »
    Walls vs. hydra/malstrom = walls EPIC FAIL (they are useless)
    Missiles = USELESS
    Opinion: I will have to start making specialized fleets to attack bases
    FACT: with huge costs and huge times to upgrade harvesters I won't be doing that any time soon :'(
    Opinion: 5 min is too short to attack
    FACT: /nuff said

I disagree, mortars and missiles are still the most effective weapon in this game. Having problems with flaks? Try to fire them in different angles and watch how the flak dies. lol. Missiles can almost reach everything, even the core of my base protected by land walls. So i still believe in the power of cutlass =)
    EDGEWORLD
    [
  • Feydakin
    Feydakin
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2010 Posts: 47
    There's always Farmville...

Agreed, there is always Farmville.. Or, even better, releasing a game where attacking actually works.. And before you say I can't handle it, I can easily, and did easily, land top 100 in BYM every week for more than 2 months.. But I quit playing because the game mechanics suck so bad.. Same with ButtPirates..
    I like pie..

The existence of the flame thrower proves that at one time, some person said, "You know? I'd like to set that group of people on fire but they're too far away."