Beginner has question on how to spend 8M points.

naenyc
naenyc
Minor Nuisance
Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 199
Hi guys, need some advise on how to spend the 8M points that was brutal to get.  Though I'm a L35, really only been grinding, with no experience outside of that.  Glad to be done with Marauders :).

Currently have:
4 Fleets of poorly designed battle barges.
1 Fleet: Light Cruiser:
                               2 with missiles, Strike System 2,, and D2-T
                               3 with Thud IV, Guidance Scrambler II, and D2-T
1 Fleet: Light Cruiser X:
                                All 5 with Thud IV, Guidance Scrambler II, and D2-T

Really don't have a good idea how to proceed:

Originally a Juggernaut seemed unbelievable.
Dreadnought X then became my ultimate goal.
Finally, late last night, the Thresher seemed obtainable.

So to ramp up am I better off with going for the most "Expensive" ship the Thresher
OR
Maybe a Dreadnought X and a Leviathan A for kiting 55s(at least this indicates http://bpoutpost.com/

OR
Any other ideas, open to just about any.

My idea is to live off the Light Cruisers X feasting on Level 31 Outposts and simply build hulls until my Weapons, Naval, Advanced, and Dock reach Level 8.

Actually looking to get some good Draconian armor.

Thanks in advance.

Naenyc

P.S:  What are your ideas on this post on the Thresher being poor for FvF and the Siege versus Maelstrom rockets debate?
  • Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 1,914
    edited 1 Aug 2013, 4:35PM
    i would recommend you get two boats, the BcX, and the Mercury (check to see if you have enough points)
    Reason:   will fit in your dock and fast to build (don't underestimate this)
    BcX is great for ballistics and torps.
    Mercury is great for missiles.

If you don't like that, DnX or Triton,
    Much longer builds, and not really great without some tech, but both would do well with raids, base hits and base guards.

Thresher can get in many bases, but it requires siege rockets and a large dock which you do not have.
    Quit Spring 2015 or so, returned Jan 2019.  
    QUOTE by John Stribling. - Who needs Jerry Springer, when u have forums. LMAO
  • naenyc
    naenyc
    Minor Nuisance
    The more I think about it, the Thresher doesn't make sense, as you pointed out.

DnX is Dreadnought X, correct?  That or the Triton seems my first choice, what are the major cons?

The BcX looks interesting, does have only 765 armor points create a problem if you auto?

The Mercury gets it missile value from the 19% penetrating ?

As I have to grind, what would be the best for auto?

Thanks again
  • WanderingSoul
    WanderingSoul
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 105
    if you can at a lower level i would suggest BCx (ballistic build for raid, torp build for FvF fighting) and the merc (siege missile build). Thresher is a great hull, but a decent build will require Mal 5, which you cannot get anymore. DNx and Triton are great fleets, but you will only have 1 or 2 ships built by next raid. 
  • Scott Richards
    Scott Richards
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 151
    DN-X without a shadow of a doubt. if you don't have the tech for a top build yet no worries, at your level, just fill them with thuds and you will still rule the seas around your level.. build 2 or maybe even 3 fleets of them, ready for the tech you will very soon obtain.
  • Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    edited 1 Aug 2013, 9:43PM
    major con to DnX and Triton are not good for FvF generally, long build times (5-6 days for just a blank hull), probably too heavy for your dock, and you may or may not have appropriate tech to use them best.

BcX will do WAY better than any of your existing boats on auto.  Add some armor if you want.  at your level maybe D2e or D3e.
    Blank hull is about a day.

Mercury missile benefit is not only 19% faster penetrating reload, but also and very importantly retargeting, never underestimate the value of retargeting (existing target dies and your missiles in the air will retarget to other close enemies).   Mercury blank hull is also about a day.

I understand the sexy Lure of the big ships.  As to whether to get the big hulls, it is tough to decide that for you. 
    To a certain degree you can use the BcX well now probably, and better as you get better specials researched.
    The Mercury is okay with Cutlass, better would be an Assault Missile fleet that could double as an auto salvager, then build a Siege Missile Fleet.    Note that a Siege Missile Mercury can do extremely well in the current raid style. 
    The DnX is best with Shock Morts or Siege Morts, but not the best for other weapons.
    The Triton is serviceable with all weapons, and quite versatile.

I think you will have more fun with the BcX and Mercury now, if you can afford them both, and can win other hulls in future raids.  But I am projecting my playing preferences onto you with that judgement.  Good Luck with your decisions.
  • bigdaddy422
    bigdaddy422
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 193
    For a low level first off great job getting to 8 mil. That is a grind. Now to answer your question you have several available to you, but they are limited in what they can do, I personally am a big believer in the Triton. I use mine and love them. While the Triton isn't the best option, it is the most versatile which would be most beneficial to you. They are great for base defense (similar to Goliath) not quite as good but close. They can be used with Mortars for base hitting (Like DNX) not quite as powerful but similar. You could use assault cannon or other ballistic for weekly missions/raids that will further help in future raids and win you more ships.
    BigDaddy422
    user id 479544 LVL 67
    Eternal Holy Chaos Leader
    Sector 361
    We travel weekly hit where we want and have fun doing it.

Raid Hulls won: Everything but the PN. If I want it I will get it.
  • HawkEye777
    HawkEye777
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 48
    DNX definitely, ranked players will fit a hull with thuds or if you have it ripper 4s and use it to hit bases, build as many hulls as possible , you will not regret it. As you progress in the game and obtain better weapons and armors you can always refit them, your main problem will be having enough res in your whses to build them but there are work arounds .. good hunting.
  • DiscoStoo
    DiscoStoo
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 148
    DNX. Won't be out for a while now. If you don't get it you'll regret it. You'll make some average versions now but when you get the tech in the next few months you'll only have to refit the hulls you have already built. It'll save time.

Level:  53 54 55 56 57

Current - 151
    Home Sec - 75  

Visited - (1, 5, 35, 63, 111, 151, 291, 344, 366, 442, 467, 477)
  • naenyc
    naenyc
    Minor Nuisance
    First and foremost, thanks for the comments.

The 7 week baby is crying and my head is still spinning from the Dragons Nest.  My initial goal was simply LIght Cruiser X, what a pleasant dilemma.

Waterline, your logic and comments are so compelling, especially the lure of the big ships.  Just sent my Light Cruiser X out against a 21 and they were half destroyed
    and the argument for some interim solution and fast build time seems very real.

25 Days for DnXZ with thuds, does seem long  though I'm sure they will work just fine

I can wait for my docks to get larger and and hoping that 3-5 of DnX/Triton with only thuds could do some damage.

Exhausted, have to make a decision in the morning and once again.

Thanks to all.

• naenyc
    naenyc
    Minor Nuisance
    Once again, what is the major objection the Thresher?

Dock and Siege Rockets?

Don't even know how long it  take to get the Dock and do I need 9 or 10?  Level 8 is only 8 days.

I can't discern what is superior the DnX or Thresher, but it seems like the Thresher is ill-suited to leveling up.
  • Loco266
    Loco266
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 5,719
    Threshers work with either MaelV (currently unavailable) or Siege Rocket S (FM prize) and pretty much mandate the use of a 2 or 3 ship fleet. Really, at your level you're best off with the BCX and the Merc. The DNX isn't what it used to be at all, even Siege Mort DNX fleets have trouble with well-designed bases these days. Given that the HULL ALONE costs 14mil Oil, 11mil Metal, 11mil Energy and a whopping 28mil Zynth and takes 5 days and change to make, it's not something you should be getting at lower levels at all.

The BCX costs: 1.5mil Oil, 1mil Energy, 1mil Metal and 3mil Zynth, takes 21 hours to build and works wonderfully as a Ballistic FvF/Raid hull or Torp FvF hull.
    The Merc costs: 8mil Oil, 6mil Metal, 4mil Energy and 8mil Zynth, and takes 1 day, 3 hours to build. It's much better than the BCX though, very good with Missiles (built-in retargeting is insanely useful), better cargo hauling, more weapon space. It rocks in FvF, makes a better sub-killer than the BC (in my opinion). If you have room for about 12mil of each resource, Mercs are the way to go.

Note that resource values are rounded. I was a bit lazy there. But I strongly doubt you'll be able to mass-produce DNX, even skeletons, at a low/mid level. If you have your WHs maxed out, go for it, but otherwise stick to Mercs.
    I'm starting to understand Magic Bunny's perspective...
  • Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    edited 2 Aug 2013, 3:58AM
    One note, I think you actually need 9 million points to get both the BcX and Mercury

There are two objections to the Thresher.
    1.  It is a one and a half trick pony - base hits is pretty much it, and maybe as a base guard to stop other ships (they can't go through it).  So when the next raid comes, what will you do, as the thresher is of almost no help for future raids.
    2.  The best Thresher builds have Mael 5 (a former raid prize), or Siege S Rockets (a tier 3 mission prize, at least when it rotates in), and compound warheads 2 or 3 (a former raid prize that is in missions tier 2 and 3 now when it cycles in).  Both are very heavy, and probably require dock 10.  They also require Intel Lab of 9 or 10.  Any other thresher build and you will be refitting later.  This is no small matter as these rockets take a long time to build.

I just generally view the Thresher as a luxury, not needed or even helpful in your current stage of development.

I think you will do okay with whatever decision you make, except the thresher.  
    You know what I would do based on my comments above, but as you can see, some people feel differently.
  • naenyc
    naenyc
    Minor Nuisance
    Maybe somebody is still on.  Need some quick advise on how to spend 3Million.  8.5M - 5.5 for Merc.

With a more rational mind, I looked at the specs in the ultimate shipyard and realized that that there is no way I can come up with 27 Million for Armor(Trition)
    Likewise 28M of Zynthium for the DnX may just be too ambitious.

Against all my instincts of building lower level fleets and having to rebuild them, the WINNER is Merc.

Now to spend 3M. Why oh why didn't I get 500K M fo BcX.

Floating Fortress A  Or
    Leviathan A

• WanderingSoul
    WanderingSoul
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 105

Hope you figured out go for the FFa and build blank hulls (1 thud and eng on them). Use them for cargo collectors. and then skip building an FFs after you research them and build HHs instead.

• Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    Cheesy_Shark_Tongue
    I would suggest that he may never need to research or build levi, sea wolf, sea scorpion, FF or HH. By the time he would do all that he will have additional hulls won which will be better.
  • naenyc
    naenyc
    Minor Nuisance
    Got them both, thanks WanderSoul.  Hopefully I won't have to use them as cargo collectors as to detract from Mercs build.

Waterline, where would you suggest to look for a decent Merc build?

And is your squad looking for newbie recruits?

The last two games I was involved with, WWII Online and Star Wars Galaxy, we used TeamSpeak ... is that still relevant?