Whats the point of the mass driver?

Tommy_D08
Tommy_D08
Potential Threat
Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 59
I can't work out why any1 would bother to use these. Compared to the plasma torpedo it seems to suck in every category.

At lvl 1 compared to torps-

Shorted range
Less damage
Higher weight
Higher research cost
Longer research time
No AOE

Am i missing something or is it just a poor choice of weapon?

• No..Beard
    No..Beard
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2010 Posts: 3,794
    cheap, easy to get early, quick to build

BP ID: 1038         WC ID: 1476        VC ID: 18589     Tome ID: 3698   

• Tommy_D08
    Tommy_D08
    Potential Threat
    No it's the complete opposite. It requires a lvl 7 weapons lab which is 1 higher than the torp and is far more expensive.

You are probably referring to the gauss or railgun.
  • The_Orbiter
    The_Orbiter
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 13
    The mass driver has better range than most other guns but it also focuses the shots on one target instead of spreading out damage like the torps. the difference between the torp and mass driver is similar to the difference between scatter missiles and railgun.
    User ID: 51658 | Google Chrome
  • RealNightFury
    RealNightFury
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,663
    Tommy_D08 said:
    No it's the complete opposite. It requires a lvl 7 weapons lab which is 1 higher than the torp and is far more expensive.

You are probably referring to the gauss or railgun.
    uhhh? Torps and Mass driver both takes lvl 7 wep lab?
     And Mass driver is like gauss.....
    War Commander:  34 ID: 741119 :D
    TOME Immortal Arena : Level?:1 ID: 4057 (Region support needed :D )
    Retired from all the other games of Kixeye.To report a Player or report a Bug/Glitch : Kixeye Support
  • Flo
    Flo
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 8,586
    The mass driver has better range than most other guns but it also focuses the shots on one target instead of spreading out damage like the torps. the difference between the torp and mass driver is similar to the difference between scatter missiles and railgun.
    Nope...it may be an explosive weapon, but it has no spread. It also has 500 range more than the mass driver
    Currently playing: Vega Conflict
    Alliance: Galaxy Lords

• THEBEARD98
    THEBEARD98
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,478
    mass driver fails its simple...
    torps are OP, and gauss are more of the same fail
    "KIXEYE makes no guarantee as to the nature, quality or value of the features of the Service that will accessible through the use of Virtual Currency, or the availability or supply of Virtual Currency." -copied from new TOS

• Busterking
    Busterking
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 651
    Mass driver is totally useless.  Kixeye what were you thinking?  or not.
  • THEBEARD98
    THEBEARD98
    Incursion Leader
    I imagine it is made to help if there is heavy explosive damage prevention on a heavy armored fleet.

"KIXEYE makes no guarantee as to the nature, quality or value of the features of the Service that will accessible through the use of Virtual Currency, or the availability or supply of Virtual Currency." -copied from new TOS

• altair1199
    altair1199
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,674
    Flo said:
    Nope...it may be an explosive weapon, but it has no spread. It also has 500 range more than the mass driver
    yea u r wrong gino plas torps deal x dam over x area. i dont matter if there is 1 ship in that area or a thousand. 
  • The Retaliator
    The Retaliator
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 126
    I think they should switch torp and mass driver around. torp is an end-game weapon, far better than mass-driver. if we get that midgame then where do we go from there? backwards to mass driver?
    I also think torp is way OP so early on, i was one of the first in the system to get torp just when people were coming out of protection. most people had pulse laser defences and i was actually feeling sorry for all the people i hit with the overpowered torp.
  • Vegan_Conflict
    Vegan_Conflict
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 181
    I think they should switch torp and mass driver around. torp is an end-game weapon, far better than mass-driver. if we get that midgame then where do we go from there? backwards to mass driver?
    I also think torp is way OP so early on, i was one of the first in the system to get torp just when people were coming out of protection. most people had pulse laser defences and i was actually feeling sorry for all the people i hit with the overpowered torp.
    Did you feel so bad that you stopped using torps after you did it the first time? Or was it just a fleeting feeling and you went ahead and crushed people anyway? :D
  • The Retaliator
    The Retaliator
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 126
    Did you feel so bad that you stopped using torps after you did it the first time? Or was it just a fleeting feeling and you went ahead and crushed people anyway? :D
    More of a fleeting feeling... which turned into a feeling of wanting to make the most of the opportunity to hit hundreds of people before polarons were in reach. 

But i did realise how overpowered they were at that early stage, and still think they are overpowered.
  • RealNightFury
    RealNightFury
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,663
    WAIT THE FK UP! WHICh  mass driver we talking about?
    War Commander:  34 ID: 741119 :D
    TOME Immortal Arena : Level?:1 ID: 4057 (Region support needed :D )
    Retired from all the other games of Kixeye.To report a Player or report a Bug/Glitch : Kixeye Support
  • Tommy_D08
    Tommy_D08
    Potential Threat
    WAIT THE FK UP! WHICh  mass driver we talking about?
    I was originally talking about the ship mounted torps and mass driver.

Although looking at it the base heavy mass driver seems to be just as useless compared to the heavy base torps.
  • THEBEARD98
    THEBEARD98
    Incursion Leader
    Yeah one problem with similar names of weapons everyone of these post people keep not realising which is which.  

• ArcAngelSlayer
    ArcAngelSlayer
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 525
    was the base defense mass drivers always 750m/s? I thought they were 1000m/s.

750 is just too slow.
    Larus Loyalist!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/FH3Z5eb.png
  • BiA
    BiA
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 357
    750 is laughable. they did the opposite of what they needed to do to make them even remotely useful. 1500 would help...maybe. i think rancor could strafe and avoid a 750 speed shot (not likely...but the point im making is the projectile is stupid slow)
  • Vegan_Conflict
    Vegan_Conflict
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 181
    I wish battle was fixed to where it was before instead of stats being tweaked :(