Depleted Uranium Shells - Opinion?

Blazer0x
Blazer0x
Minor Nuisance
Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 293
I am considering replacing all of my Howitzer specials to DU Shells (from Compound Panels). 

My reasoning is that after observing many base attacks (including on my own base). The compound panels are all but useless, as MCX fleets (and anything else which out-ranges them which is almost anything) just pound them into submission from safely out of range anyway....SO, might as well use the DU Shells to increase their damage, and then at least they might inflict more damage on blitz fleets.

What do you think? Is it worth your turrets doing more damage if they have less armor?  I think so, because armor means nothing these days when long-range prep fleets (or MCX base fleets) easily take out your turrets from a distance, no matter what their armor level.

• FKIT
    FKIT
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 1,794
    You are using Howies to stop blitz fleets?
    FKIT: level 90
    ID 1.1 million
    Alliance:368R

• SkullCrusher_BattlePirates
    SkullCrusher_BattlePirates
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,356
    Dont Use Howies At All.
    BP Level: 59
    Raid Hulls Owned: MCX, DNX, Strike Cruiser, Thresher, Goliath and a lot of other useless ones.
    Tech Owned: Lots of random stuff and mael V, Siege rocket S and Compund C-X 3 are the notable ones for my threshers.
    Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/mcconnor8

• Blazer0x
    Blazer0x
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 293
    FKIT said:
    You are using Howies to stop blitz fleets?
    No, but my defenses include Howies. If they can do more damage they will help stop blitz fleets, especially since most attackers first send in a prep fleet to take out your Cerbs. As most base fleets have hailstorms, VMs are useless, Halos suck as well, so the Howies are pretty much the last line of defense.  

Yes, I know it's all futile anyway, as any base can be cracked, especially with prepping. But in general, pretty much all fleets out-range howitzers, so it makes sense to me to forgo the armor in favor of them doing more damage.
  • zzubisback
    zzubisback
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 93
    HOWIES = DEAD BASE!! DU shells or not!!> I got em, but dont have howies in my base so wasted my time getting them. Good base defences should include flak........with new phalinx, we will see more misile attacking fleets. Start changing to flaks and bombards bud

• Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    Halos are not useless. :p

(\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • Arma-Get-It-On
    Arma-Get-It-On
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 4,418
  • BLACK CAESAR
    BLACK CAESAR
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,362
    Do your best to make your base unprepable. If they are taking out a turret w/o anything firing at them then you have a problem.
    Blah blah blah just stfu foolio!!!
  • Shadowed_P
    Shadowed_P
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 420
    VM's useless?  That's hilarious!  I have one Howie since the Thresher has explosive resistance built in.
    shadowed_pirate
    Level 60                                                                                   
    Support Form
  • RoboDragon13
    RoboDragon13
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 304
    Adding the extra armor delays ships longer. Just saying
    BP level : 62
    Home location : 370 
    Visited sectors : 297, 223, 171, 41, 254, 400, 427.
    Winner of the Goliath, Strike Cruiser, Dread X,  Spectre, Thresher, Triton, Mercury, Mauler, Disruptor Cannon, Halo, Hellstrike and some other unimportant stuff.
  • CaptConley
    CaptConley
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 835
    edited 31 Mar 2013, 5:06PM
    You're doing something wrong, bud. I have ZERO turrets that can be prepped without taking serious damage and 25% bubble and my guard can't be prepped at all without bunkering my sub cav arbiter then sending in spectres.

And I haven't had a howie in my base since cerbs were introduced. And Halos are awesome if you use them right (as long range weapons firing at your choke points) and protect them. Only a noob with very little knowledge of base design or someone that couldn't get them would think Halos are useless.

Every weapon and its corresponding special has its uses. It's your job to figure out how to use them in the correct combination to make your base hard to crack.

A couple tips.

Use your cerbs to force your attacker to stop. Make sure all of your long range weapons fire at the same time where they have to stop.

Make sure they have to stop for quite a while or die if they advance. The entrance to my channel is a reverse L shape. There are 4 cerbs and two Golis with siege cannon S that HAVE to be killed before advancing past the first turn or they die. Simples, right? There is a Tritan with assault mortars and antis, 2 Vics with SL3 (for the ones running without anti-mortars) and 5 Halos as well as a few thuds from the Golis pounding this choke point. My cerbs all have compound panels to make them spend just a little more time, it's not much but it's enough for the second choke point to pick their bones clean. One Goli is tanked for missile defense and the other is tanked explosive. They are behind 2 land tiles so ballistics can't reach.

And that's just the first choke point. The second choke point, if they make it that far, has another Goli, cerb and my arby with siege cannons. Very few make it past them.

• Angrybeard420
    Angrybeard420
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 575
    Actually, since the introduction of the thresher I've been thinking about changing all my cerbs back to howies and using the uranium shells. You have to think outside the box which most people are incapable of doing. You can always add rockets to your guard fleet. Everything in the game has a use. You just have to be willing to try different things
    Ouch
    Lvl 59 --I can be a lvl 3,547,201 and I'll still hit lvl 40s--
    Raid Prizes Collected: DN, SSa, Goli, SC, HHa, DNx, BC, HHb, Jugg, MCx, Thresher, Merc
  • Lolumad
    Lolumad
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 4,937
    Lol, saying howies are useful and Halos suck.

This thread is gold.
    Battle Pirates - 74 - Retired
    War Commander - 38 - Retired
    Vega Conflict - 38 - Retired
  • SayUrPrayers
    SayUrPrayers
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 210
    I have 3 Howies and nothing has gotten in my Base in a Month.

If you have just Halos and Cerbs.. That's Not Good.
    You Need a Mix.
  • Brademus-Krieg
    Brademus-Krieg
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 887
    Halos won't stop ships, VMs won't stop ships, Cerbs won't stop ships and seldon get to fire, Howies won't stop a ship, good base design won't stop a ship, and occasionally nothing will stop a ship. But if you have a good base design, force the attacking ships to slow down by faking them out with Howies and Cerbs, then VMs and Halos with a good base defense fleet will eat up nearly all attackers. Nothing by itself will work perfectly but as a well planned unit they can be very deadly. Every base and setup is different and you have to find the one for you and your style of play.
    Sectors 489////493////121////88///121////8

"Life is hard. If you are stupid its harder."

Tried alliance, sail under no man's colors but mine, if I dance I will choose the fiddler and the tune.
  • Lolumad
    Lolumad
    Unicorn Overlord
    I have 3 Howies and nothing has gotten in my Base in a Month.

If you have just Halos and Cerbs.. That's Not Good.
    You Need a Mix.
    Halo/Cerb/Bombard will stop any fleet. You most certainly don't need a mix.
  • SayUrPrayers
    SayUrPrayers
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 210
    If you have only Halos, Cerb.. if you're guards can be prepped..  your base is a sitting duck.

QUACK QUACK
  • Magic Bunny
    Magic Bunny
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 17,465
    Who said VMs are useless? I only run 4 VM4s and they pound the shizznick out of fleets at my entrance that are trying to take out my first turrents.
    and then they'll send in a fleet with more than 16 hails to counter them

or just threshers to ignore them
    Level ... not enough fingers to count that high

First played July 2011, in sector 96

• bruce_lee
    bruce_lee
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 1,735
    Blazer0x said:

What do you think? Is it worth your turrets doing more damage if they have less armor?  I think so, because armor means nothing these days when long-range prep fleets (or MCX base fleets) easily take out your turrets from a distance, no matter what their armor level.

I run all cerbs and halos and, so far, it stops most fleets. Front turrets rarely do any damage since they can easily be outraged. They keep a ship stopped long enough for the rear mortars or halos to land on target and do the real damage.
  • Its_3lackHavvk
    Its_3lackHavvk
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 386
    dont use them. its a waste of a special. go with compound panels for howis and possibly cerbs
    Raid Hulls - Battleship, Juggernaut, Sea Scorpion A, Mercury, SuperFortress, Hurricane, Battlecruiser, Mauler
    Raid Weapons -  Phalanx 1, 2,  Poesidon DC 1, Hail A, B, D91-S, D93-S, D95-S, Piranha DC 1, 2, Shredder Cannon 1, 2
    Raid Specials - Countermeasure Equipment 2, 3
    Raid Turrets - Arc Missiles 1,2,3
    Raid Tactical Modules - Siege Drone 1,2,3, Blitz Drone 2
    Raid Armors - D1-X, D1-C, D1-M, D2-V, D2-S, D2-E, D2-C, D2-M, D3-M, D3-T, D3-E
    Level: 50
  • JD1880TKT
    JD1880TKT
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1
    Yeah do it Howies will be better than cerbs then if ya got DU 4 tier 3 shells

• Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 8,422
    mmm weird thread..so halos, cerbs and vms are useles.....im going to put in 14 sents.......Look out snoopy! 

Above is a joke for people who have no sense of humour.
  • Lolumad
    Lolumad
    Unicorn Overlord
    JD1880TKT said:
    Yeah do it Howies will be better than cerbs then if ya got DU 4 tier 3 shells

I hope people listen to you, I love easy bases.
  • The Whip
    The Whip
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 124
    Honestly, with all the new weapons and tactics being introduced, the lowly Howies could actually be quite useful if positioned correctly. No turrent in this game "sucks". If you think they do, you're not using them correctly. I have a mix of Howies, Cerbs, VMs, Flaks, and Bombards and even one Sent (the Sent makes sense if you saw my design). All in all, my base, even without Halos, stops all fleets (other than Triton hulls, cause theres 0 defense there). People seem to not use a whole lot of math or tactics with their defensive ships and turrets these days. Then again im not complaining, just easy bases for me.

• Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 8,422

The Whip said:
    Honestly, with all the new weapons and tactics being introduced, the lowly Howies could actually be quite useful if positioned correctly. No turrent in this game "sucks". If you think they do, you're not using them correctly. I have a mix of Howies, Cerbs, VMs, Flaks, and Bombards and even one Sent (the Sent makes sense if you saw my design). All in all, my base, even without Halos, stops all fleets (other than Triton hulls, cause theres 0 defense there). People seem to not use a whole lot of math or tactics with their defensive ships and turrets these days. Then again im not complaining, just easy bases for me.
    You made allot of sense until you said this :(other than Triton hulls, cause theres 0 defense there).
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 977
    Ive seen howies be used effectivly on mortar fleets  since the range is so amazingly close.

Most people dont have to stop for howies unless you ahve a groupof them.

Cerb is the best option for most fleets. There is a problem. MCX kill turrets so fast they have to stop for one second.

Also, without a good guard your turrets can be picked apart.

For the record. HALOS SUCK

Also for the record its April Fools  day. Fooled you ya fool.

• LynyrdSkynyrd
    LynyrdSkynyrd
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 104
    edited 1 Apr 2013, 1:47PM
    I run 3 bombards 3 flaks 1 howie(well placed where a cerb would suck if put in its spot, also covers 3 turns) and 7 cerbs, I have kept out all the fleets that have hit me since I implemented the final touches. and if I ever get the du shells then I will use them. The howie I have some people dont see and run right into on accident and get a pounding. and I have 7 level 4 turrets and 7 level 3 turrets

• USMC_Sergeant_E5
    USMC_Sergeant_E5
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 1,590
    Still using howies huh?   Even with the DU shells as a special, howies are useless.    Stay with Cerbs/VM/Halo for base defense.  DU shells are a joke anyways....most worthless forsaken mission prize ever.
    Level 42 War Commander - Too many cheaters/hackers.
    Level 76 Battle Pirates - "Where is the dry dock at?"
    Level 41 Vega Conflict - Quit/Game sucks.
    1992-2002 - USMC Veteran - Semper Fi