To hit or not tohit...that is the question!

Le Wulf
Le Wulf
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 6,063
edited 22 Dec 2012, 5:39AM
Why do we want no hit sectors?
Why are sector police insistant on being brutalised?
Is there any justification for players to police others?
Or is that in fact part of the piracy attraction?
Are 'Insectors' the bane of Battle Pirates or the masked crusaders of true justice?

do tell of your experiences of why some work and some fail.

I personally choose whether to hit in or out of sector as opposed to have anybody tell me whats to do - for when they do tell me whats what i often do the opposite.
  • The Whaler
    The Whaler
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 1,842
    1. some poeple like salving more than base hitting, and it can help some to get bp's etc before facing the big bad ocean world.
    2. who knows
    3. some police can be helpful if the high levels are preying on level 40's in their own sector, it helps to stop players quitting soon after reaching level 40. apart from that i see little problem with insectors.

i personally only hit insector for revenge or if there is a loud mouthed comm warrior around who needs to be taught some respect. i also don't tend to get involved with police, they have too many rules and constraints.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies within range of your primary weapon
  • TheDragon
    TheDragon
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,164
    you forgot this is how bubble buddies got started. now that thats gone and they cant hide. only thing they can do is cry
  • Martin Coleman
    Martin Coleman
    Greenhorn
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 3
    Check your history pirates werent loners. There was a lot of people on those ships working toward a common goal and living life their way. I have ever heard of a lone-wolf pirate and thats what insectors are because they are hated by 98% of the players..lol:D
  • Ascension
    Ascension
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 26,257
    I just hit in-sector last night. Love travel times of less than a minute.

Forum banned by a hypocrite at Kixeye.

• Le Wulf
    Le Wulf
    Unicorn Overlord
    I find a number of players are cowed by the police.
    Where a simple matter of slap one base and base slaps back can go on for a couple of weeks then they stop because they have decided to become friends or simply ran out of will to fight eachother. The police types will storm in before that can evolve and simply trash whoever started it until the pirate either surrenders, relocates or quits.
  • Tag32
    Tag32
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 1,714
    Honestly I have been a long time resident of sectors with and with out in sector hitting.. My biggest issue is the smack talking and chest pounding that comes along with the insector hitting. When you compare it to the light and friendly conversation in the non hitting sectors.. I will take that any day. I trust that may people are playing a character and not acting as they do in the real world when they get on comms, but the mood of comms effects how much I enjoy the game.. it shouldn't but it seems to.

Yes the police are hard to take, and I am sure that I have been called a sector cop, but I am not on the game to belittle another player.. On the down side of the no hitting sectors, they do bread bad bases and can bread bullies that feel safe they wont get hit because of the "rules".

I terms of the game lore.. if the forsaken create communities and work together they will over throw the Draconian pigs.
    If your not paying for what you use, your not the customer.... your the product.
  • Boone
    Boone
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2011 Posts: 558
    Wulf wrote: »
    Why do we want no hit sectors?
    Why are sector police insistant on being brutalised?
    Is there any justification for players to police others?
    Or is that in fact part of the piracy attraction?
    Are 'Insectors' the bane of Battle Pirates or the masked crusaders of true justice?

do tell of your experiences of why some work and some fail.

I personally choose whether to hit in or out of sector as opposed to have anybody tell me whats to do - for when they do tell me whats what i often do the opposite.
    pretty simple. why travel 20 mins to play for 5 -8 mins
    then have to wait 20 mins for your fleet to come back click repair and log off. when i can hit withing 10 mins drop the resources off and if i am lucky to have taken less than half damage on my fleet go hit another base.
    :crying:boone :crying:
  • wesker
    wesker
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 5,473
    i like no hit sectors i dont like my enemys in the same comms as me i dont mind the 15 20 min travel times i do get hit enough to enjoy the game and hit enough to have fun :D i just hate the whining from both sides
    Decimate the Weak

Ships Won: who cares you will see them :D 
    BP-ID: 1824740....lvl 72

• thomasthetank
    thomasthetank
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 541
    I think part of it is simply people wanting to play their way. If you like building things and growing and just having fun, a no-hit sector is a good way to go as you have fewer hits on average. If you like to be aggressive, then obviously a non-insector area works better. Personally, I think both are viable and part of the reason the game does well. There is simply a lot more room for flexibility. And for those who have in-sector hitters come into their utopia, it's not bad if they aren't malicious on comms. It's a good chance to test your defense and attack capabilities. Never a bad thing.
    Used to have fun here.
  • wesker
    wesker
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 5,473
    I think part of it is simply people wanting to play their way. If you like building things and growing and just having fun, a no-hit sector is a good way to go as you have fewer hits on average. If you like to be aggressive, then obviously a non-insector area works better. Personally, I think both are viable and part of the reason the game does well. There is simply a lot more room for flexibility. And for those who have in-sector hitters come into their utopia, it's not bad if they aren't malicious on comms. It's a good chance to test your defense and attack capabilities. Never a bad thing.

im aggressive hitter and i like nonhit sectors
    Decimate the Weak

Ships Won: who cares you will see them :D 
    BP-ID: 1824740....lvl 72

• Le Wulf
    Le Wulf
    Unicorn Overlord
    I think when people put in place 'this is a no hit sector' (which i used to do back in my lvl 20's old level system) it is to them for plenty of good reasons. Unfortunately those reasons are wrong.
    All of them are wrong!

Yes it is nice not to get hit so you can upgrade a building or get resources for a fleet and all that stuff. But to implement it on another person with a use of force is just not on. Probably why I am such a pain in the **** to some people because using force for the moral good is just daft and does not make sense (note in context of BP).

I find a lot of people get comfortable in a sector decide they want to pretend they are in fact playing farmville and anyone breaking the rule of not hitting in sector therefore must be punished because they are evil.
    Ofcourse they got tons of equipment because they been playing hit the bot pirates.
    Though they do not know how to handle an individual who is not outright 'evil' but has a personality that is varied like any other human being. they also cannot understand why a pirate would not sit still and allow a superior fleet to simply sink it this in turn creates frustration leading to anger from the bot pirate.
    Somehow the insector hitter must do everything according to what the cops want him/her to do. That is attacking a fully fortified base over and over again otherwise the radical extremist is all things evil in mankind.

the insector hitter must have an unlimted supply of resources and base fleets otherwise again they are just evil.
    When i am in a no hit sector if i steal a salvage or hit a base all of a sudden every new arrival becomes some kind of super judge dread - yet i dont see them doing much on the war with the neighbouring sector.

The Bot Pirates also come to the conclusion this must be a spy or some kind of sociopath.
    Been called both a number of times. Spy i remember was first used long ago when asking how do they know someone is hacking during the raid, the sector did not know me and started saying i was a spy for defending the person (I was just asking how they could tell) at the time i was a guest of another alliance so bit my tongue out of respect and let the alliance sort it out.
    sociopath been called that frequently recently umm yeah sure I am because I hit things in a game of battle pirates and I retain my right to disagree. - note a sociopath would not be so blunt and would go about things in a very different way - ive seen plenty of sector cops exhibit traits of a sociopath.

I like gangland type of sectors you gotta use bit of muscle bit of intelligence and get on with what you gotta do. the sectors either side are the enemy also and thats when the sector should unite in fighting them then go back to business as usual (whatever that maybe).
    I draw the line at trying to get other people to dislike someone I let my enemy do that as it is helpful for me to see whose intelligent and who is not. (as well as seeming a bit unsporting - i'm a little odd like that).
  • therealslimshady
    therealslimshady
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 307
    "sector police" are just an example of natural selection. Intelligent players learned that they can wage war more effectively fighting as a team. they can fight a common enemy (neighboring sectors) and they have each others backs if one of them gets hit. players who hit in sector are detriments towards the common good, and must be eliminated.

no hit sectors are not weaker, they are stronger. insector hitters tend to be loners or small groups. they are effective, but generally cannot stand a protracted conflict. the evolution of this game is like the evolution of civilization itself. we woke up with creepy music and a fog, and started killing each other. then we learned to communicate, and started working together to kill each other. no insec hitting often does lead to weak sectors, but the sector I came from is very powerful and warlike (no insec hitting) we just know our enemy, and work together to kill them.

you can argue that making our sectors descend back into chaos is making us "what we are supposed to be" but you could also make that argument for humans going from organised countries to each man defending his individual cave with clubs, and going from cooking our food to eating raw meat right off the kill. the question them becomes "is it our origin or is it our potential that we should strive for, if we are to be what we are meant to be"
    Three ships for the Forsaken-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Draconian-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for the A.I. doomed to die,
    One for the Will Harbin on his dark throne,
    In the Land of Kixeye where the Shadows lie.
    One ship to rule them all, One ship to find them,
    One ship to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
  • therealslimshady
    therealslimshady
    Skilled Warrior
    ^^sorry for going all philosophical on you^^
  • Marina Baptista
    Marina Baptista
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 2
    Wanna hit insector in a no-hitting-insect sector? Sure, go ahead, it is part of the game. But don't whine about the whole sector coming to hit you back. Take it like a man.
    This game is meant to be played however each person wants. So don't say you have the right to hit insector because it's allowed in the game and then say people can't join forces to hit you back. Play your way and don't whine about other people's way of playing. Simple as that.
  • Le Wulf
    Le Wulf
    Unicorn Overlord
    yep there is that Marina but seen way too many angry people on comms over really simple things.

Slim Chimps also band together and they also go out there way to find one in there group to kill it is quite a troubling part of there nature in the wild. It bonds them as a unit this hunt that goes on. It reminds me of sector police and those who group around them.
  • bort
    bort
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 8,257
    I think when people put in place 'this is a no hit sector' (which i used to do back in my lvl 20's old level system) it is to them for plenty of good reasons. Unfortunately those reasons are wrong.
    All of them are wrong!

There is no right or wrong way to play - people can play however they like within the kixeye rules.
  • Zam
    Zam
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 1,501
    wesker wrote: »
    i like no hit sectors i dont like my enemys in the same comms as me i dont mind the 15 20 min travel times i do get hit enough to enjoy the game and hit enough to have fun :D i just hate the whining from both sides

+1

I don't care for hearing from those I hit in comms either. I like the not knowing anything about my adversaries, it adds to the mystique of the game for me.

With that said, I am quick to send messages to players I hit or who hit me. I keep it good natured and it is fun, but communication is always limited and that works for me.

Someone once put it this way, "don't sh*t where you eat". That is a pretty appropriate explanation of the "no-insector" crowd's side of the argument also.
    Zam

Sectors visited: 121, 432, 433, 236, 394, 271, 251, 246, 36, 350, 307, 238, 334, 296, 91, 337, 255
  • thomasthetank
    thomasthetank
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 541
    wesker wrote: »
    im aggressive hitter and i like nonhit sectors

Okay. Then have fun. We have 2 insector hitters where I am now. I don't police the sector. I'll respond to help someone if it is convenient and especially if they are part of the group I'm in. I only ask that people be cool on comms. I got no issues with people doing whatever they do.
    Used to have fun here.
  • Gary Alston
    Gary Alston
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 122
    omg wulf how many post's do you need on the same subject or is it you make a new one in hopes those who reply to older ones dont see the new one? oh wait i know you are just trn to get your post count up to make you forum rank higher so you can feel all big here.
    ‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~ George Orwell

Rangers Lead The Way!
  • Gary Alston
    Gary Alston
    Minor Nuisance
    That Explains It!
    that-explains-it.jpg

Wulf went to the doctor. He x-rayed his head.
    He stared for a moment and here's what he said.
    "It looks like you've got a banana in there,
    an apple, an orange, a peach, and a pear.
    I also see something that looks like a shoe,
    a plate of spaghetti, some fake doggy doo,
    an airplane, an arrow, a barrel, a chair,
    a salmon, a camera, some old underwear,
    a penny, a pickle, a pencil, a pen,
    a hairy canary, a hammer, a hen,
    a whistle, a thistle, a missile, a duck,
    an icicle, bicycle, tricycle, truck.
    With all of the junk that you have in your head
    it's kind of amazing you got out of bed.
    The good news, at least, is you shouldn't feel pain.
    From what I can see here you don't have a brain."
    ‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ~ George Orwell

Rangers Lead The Way!
  • Gary Alston
    Gary Alston
    Minor Nuisance
    lol wow you are a loss for words and witty know it all comeback. i guess there is a such thing as a miracle . what you didnt like the poem? you know wulf you started this way back putting my name in your posts right about time i started playing and ddint know about these forums, and in fact hadnt even talked or heard of you in comms ect. and i guess i have become what you call yourself or used to a troll of course anyone who lives south of makinaw bridge is considered a troll then thats me. enjoy because i sure do and will always enjoy trolling your posts
    I think you need help.

Rangers Lead The Way!
  • Le Wulf
    Le Wulf
    Unicorn Overlord
  • Gary Alston
    Gary Alston
    Minor Nuisance
    unfournatly prob not since you always respond in comms to me see you have no ideal who you are talking to or about
    I think your the guy i had to put on ignore because you kept wanting my attention all the time.

Rangers Lead The Way!
  • Le Wulf
    Le Wulf
    Unicorn Overlord
  • SurferRex
    SurferRex
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 49
    Check your history pirates werent loners. There was a lot of people on those ships working toward a common goal and living life their way. I have ever heard of a lone-wolf pirate and thats what insectors are because they are hated by 98% of the players..lol:D

...And then?
    - S u r f e r R e x -
  • SurferRex
    SurferRex
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 49
    "sector police" are just an example of natural selection. Intelligent players learned that they can wage war more effectively fighting as a team. they can fight a common enemy (neighboring sectors) and they have each others backs if one of them gets hit. players who hit in sector are detriments towards the common good, and must be eliminated.

You are the exception to the rule. Normally "Natural selection" has your style of play at the bottom of the food chain. I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 self proclaimed sector police stand up against an in-sector hitter. You might get 1 or 2 hits from them & then a long line of "Don't hit or else" non sense in COMMS, & then they give up & let it happen. Besides any decent in-sector hitter will ignore it all, whether it's a detriment to the common good or not.
    - S u r f e r R e x -
  • Gary Alston
    Gary Alston
    Minor Nuisance
    lol well if you would put you money where your mouth is maybe players might take you more serious instead of a joke al i hear and see is your claims to get somone else to fight your battles but you refuss to fight even players lower level than you.
    unfournatly prob not since you always respond in comms to me see you have no ideal who you are talking to or about

Rangers Lead The Way!
  • shadowwphoenixx
    shadowwphoenixx
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 405
    I like no-hit sectors, people tend to be more friendly in them from what I hear about insecs, plus it's just a laid-back way of playing the game. If it's more relaxed and you like that attitude of playing then go right ahead, diversity, everyone has their own way of playing the game. Also, much easier to find bps if you're not being smashed every day :P
    Ingame name: IxDarkPhoenixxI Lvl: 52/33?           Sector: 1**: Born, raised, and still living ^_^  
    Raid hulls won: Corvette ~ Frigate  ~ Destroyer (+X) ~ Light Cruiser (+X)  ~ Battlecruiser (+X) ~ Battleship ~ Mercury ~ HH-A+B ~ BB-A ~ Levi-A ~  Mauler. 
    War.... War never changes, and in it, there is no place for the runner up. So in the end, suck it up and fight back, or risk losing everything you ever fought for. ~
    [QUOTE=beel78;2728155]For, God's sake...they turned the SW into a pizza slice.[/QUOTE] 
  • therealslimshady
    therealslimshady
    Skilled Warrior
    SurferRex wrote: »
    You are the exception to the rule. Normally "Natural selection" has your style of play at the bottom of the food chain. I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 self proclaimed sector police stand up against an in-sector hitter. You might get 1 or 2 hits from them & then a long line of "Don't hit or else" non sense in COMMS, & then they give up & let it happen. Besides any decent in-sector hitter will ignore it all, whether it's a detriment to the common good or not.

I am referring to the solid system in my home sector, I recognize that there are many sectors with weak sector cops, but in my sector they have worked pretty well.