Update Preview: Persistent Platoons

KIXEYE Swag
KIXEYE Swag
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 3,665
edited 12 Jun 2012, 5:57PM
Attention Commanders,
Exclusive intel from Executive Producer David Scott: the War Commander team is in the process of improving the way you create and manage your Platoon, and he’s tasked me with gathering feedback from the community.

The High Points:
• Platoons will be made in your base instead of on the map.
• Any Platoons you make will be remembered so you don’t have to constantly remake them.
• Platoons will not get lost when they return to base or are left to guard a deposit.
• Platoons will be repaired both on your base and on deposits, but only one at a time

The first thing you’ll notice is that the “Units” button will change to “Platoons” and clicking it brings up a new window that lists all your Platoons:
The Platoon List

1.jpg

Everyone will have a Base Defender Platoon, this is a Platoon that’s been auto-created from all the units you see in your base. You can not deploy this Platoon, but adding units to it will add them to your base. They will also help defend if you’re attacked. This Platoon is persistent, so you will always be able to leave units defending your base.

Clicking the yellow “Create” button or clicking on an existing Platoon will bring up the Platoon Editor:
The Platoon Editor

7.jpg

• Name each Platoon
• Have up to 4 squads or all units in a single large squad.
• Capacity is for the platoon not squad, no more issues with units not quite fitting.
• Close the window to return to the Platoon List or deploy it to the map instantly.

Once you have made a few Platoons your Platoon List screen will look something like this:
The Platoon List

3.jpg

• You can see where your Platoons are, what they contain, their capacity, their health, and if they are under attack.
• You can repair or modify any Platoon your your base.
• There is no limit on the number of Platoons you can make (there is still a limit on the number that can be on the map)

Here are some answers to questions you may have:

Can I deploy Platoons in the same way as before?
From the world map you do pretty much the same thing. You click on your base, select "Deploy Platoon" but instead of then selecting the units you select which Platoon you want to deploy and then select where around your base it should be deployed.

How do I move a unit between platoons?
If you want to move a unit from one Platoon to another you simply open the first, remove the unit (which puts it in storage), open the second, add it.

How do I scrap units to get back resources and make space?
If you want to scrap a unit to make space you can remove it from the Platoon and then in the Barracks or War Factory you can scrap them under the new “Scrap” tab

What happens to units on the map and in deposits?
If you have any platoons already out on the map or any units defending deposits we will auto-create these as platoons and they will be visible on the Platoons List screen.

What changes will be made to the number of units I can deploy in a battle?
We are reducing the number slightly to reduce the size of platoons so if you put all units in a single squad you can deploy it in battle. Any units already in platoons or on deposits will break this cap (we never cull units) so you can return them to base to pick the ones you want to remove before re-deploying them.

I have another question!
Post it below and we'll answer it!
  • Ben Palmer
    Ben Palmer
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 14,383
    There is no limit to the number of platoons you can make, but I assume there is still a limit to the number you can have deployed at once outside of a base/depo?
    RoyalGuard

• jdk470
    jdk470
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 413
    Love the deposit repair option as that removes the micro management of deposits!

I'm upgrading my staging center to L10 shortly, and I anticipate this will make it a bit more painful to move units from my base to storage as I'll need to first create several platoons to house the new mega's. I'd love an unlimited size "storage" platoon with no max size that can make it super quick to move units to storage without having to create a a new platoon for every 5 new mega's I create.

In the perfect world, I'd love any new units to build to that "storage" platoon instead of my base as well given I am a later stage player and already have my base defense set. That means I have to leave my base relatively undefended to make room for the building queue as I'm building more tanks. The side effect is that I could queue up a lot more units at once, which would be great for me, but some might not like for the resource hiding effects.
  • David Scott
    David Scott
    Co-Founder KIXEYE and all round good guy!
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 3,647
    Ben Palmer wrote: »
    There is no limit to the number of platoons you can make, but I assume there is still a limit to the number you can have deployed at once outside of a base/depo?
    Correct, that is unchanged.
    In the perfect world, I'd love any new units to build to that "storage" platoon instead of my base as well given I am a later stage player and already have my base defense set. That means I have to leave my base relatively undefended to make room for the building queue as I'm building more tanks. The side effect is that I could queue up a lot more units at once, which would be great for me, but some might not like for the resource hiding effects.
    Great news! If there's no room in your base ("Base Defenders Platoon") for a newly created unit it goes directly from the Barracks / War Factory into the Storage, no need to leave room in your base for new units.

Welcome to the perfect world :)
    Follow: TheCritters | Subscribe: Facebook 
    What would Gabe do?
  • Aiuris Sabling
    Aiuris Sabling
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 43
    This may sound dumb, but I'm worried about the platoons inside the deposits. I believe repairing them without returning to base is so that management will be easier, so what happens with dead infantry, which has to be produced again? We get to keep sending more and more platoons, maybe get to a complicated level of fragmentation, assuming we can have more than one platoon inside the deposits? If only one platoon, and taking the space limit, it would mean less units defending a deposit. I believe that with or without the limitation of only one platoon per deposit, those of us who actually use the bunkers will still be forced to be moving platoons back and forth same as repairing inside the base, and that doesn't exactly make it easier to my ears.

I don't think adding barracks inside deposits would be the way to go, but seeing that this is new and not made completely set yet, I would love to hear if this will actually be a problem or if it has already been thought and solved.
  • Perses
    Perses
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,754
    NICE :D

I was hoping this would be something about getting rid of the persistent phantom platoons that are all around my map after a few minutes of playing. It isnt but this is just as good.

Now for the multiselect option to move more than 1 platoon at once. :D;)
    Best Spoiler yet ...
    well if there is a turret it may not be tesla turret, it could be something that fires jackrabbits and honey badgers at things. Or coffee, it could shoot coffee.
  • jdk470
    jdk470
    Skilled Warrior
    Welcome to the perfect world :)

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Ben Palmer
    Ben Palmer
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 14,383
    My max platoon capacity is 2040 and my staging area is lvl10. Does this mean that this update is an automatic downgrade to the amount of units we can deploy at our bases?

Also, do other people see our platoon names?
    RoyalGuard

• David Scott
    David Scott
    This may sound dumb, but I'm worried about the platoons inside the deposits. I believe repairing them without returning to base is so that management will be easier, so what happens with dead infantry, which has to be produced again?

Infantry currently die, so the platoon will need to be returned to base to have it's infantry topped up. HOWEVER we will be making infantry and aircraft work the same was as vehicles so instead of having to go through the process of replacing them (yawn) you can simply repair them (yey)
    What would Gabe do?
  • Blue G
    Blue G
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 242
    What changes will be made to the number of units I can deploy in a battle?
    We are reducing the number slightly to reduce the size of platoons so if you put all units in a single squad you can deploy it in battle. Any units already in platoons or on deposits will break this cap (we never cull units) so you can return them to base to pick the ones you want to remove before re-deploying them.

1 So you are saying that a platoon with 2,040 space available will be reduced?
    2 If you have one large squad greater than the 1,300 space cap for attacking a base, will we be able to cull what units we want to use?
    3 Is there a new cap on how many units/platoons that can be deployed?
    4 Is the way we can attack a base now changing?
  • David Scott
    David Scott
    Ben Palmer wrote: »
    My max platoon capacity is 2040 and my staging area is lvl10. Does this mean that this update is an automatic downgrade to the amount of units we can deploy at our bases?

Also, do other people see our platoon names?
    Nope and nope. The reduction will be to the number of units you can have on the battlefield at any one time, but as the platoon cap is now platoon-wide (not per squad) if you are taking big units like the Mega Tank you wont notice much difference.

We can always tweak these numbers post-release to tune it.
    What would Gabe do?
  • Elder_Lee
    Elder_Lee
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 7,468
    Swag,

Way to poke a hornets nest, boys.

Ok, so you say that you are reducing the size of the over all platoon unit size limit.

By how much?

Since currently with at lvl 10 Staging Area you can produce a platoon made up of 4 squads each squad has a unit space limit of 510. Giving the total platoon a unit size of 2,040.

So, for me a base running (killing) platoon has 3 squads of (2 Mega Tanks and 1 rifleman = 510/510) and 1 squad of (7 Gatling Trucks and 3 rifleman = 510/510) which make a platoon unit size of 2,040/2040.

You are telling me that I will now have less.

Not a good move.

Did someone say BP revert.
    Keep your head down, your ammo dry and the FIGHT alive!  
    WC User ID: 76066
    Lvl 38
    Sector 33, 112, 6, 144, 240, 409, 19, 5, ( 420 )
    Support: http://www.kixeye.com/support/
    Report: https://www.kixeye.com/support/web/report?game=wc
    Not a KIXEYE representative or employee in any form or means, just an Elder of the game.
  • Elder_Lee
    Elder_Lee
    Unicorn Overlord
    Nope and nope. The reduction will be to the number of units you can have on the battlefield at any one time, but as the platoon cap is now platoon-wide (not per squad) if you are taking big units like the Mega Tank you wont notice much difference.

We can always tweak these numbers post-release to tune it.

David,

Just tell us strait out.

Currently with a lvl 10 Staging Area platoon max unit size limit is 2040. (On the MAP)

What will this platoon's new max unit size be?

Just tell us the number.
    Lvl 38
    Not a KIXEYE representative or employee in any form or means, just an Elder of the game.
  • David Scott
    David Scott
    Lee Duncan wrote: »
    Swag,
    Way to poke a hornets nest, boys.
    Ok, so you say that you are reducing the size of the over all platoon unit size limit.
    By how much?
    Since currently with at lvl 10 Staging Area you can produce a platoon made up of 4 squads each squad has a unit space limit of 510. Giving the total platoon a unit size of 2,040.
    So, for me a base running (killing) platoon has 3 squads of (2 Mega Tanks and 1 rifleman = 510/510) and 1 squad of (7 Gatling Trucks and 3 rifleman = 510/510) which make a platoon unit size of 2,040/2040.
    You are telling me that I will now have less.
    Not a good move.
    Did someone say BP revert.

We don't know a number yet, we're playtesting and balancing it. That's why I haven't posted any numbers.
    And we're posting on the forum to get peoples feedback in advance of pushing the update.
    The reason for the reduction is simply to balance the battles and make it possible for someone to deploy a platoon if it only has one squad.

And even if your numbers change, you with your level 10 staging area will still have more space than someone with a level 9. You still have the advantage!
    What would Gabe do?
  • David Scott
    David Scott
    More info:

1. Right now the deployment capacity (the number of units you can have in a battle at any one time) is set by the Command Center level, after this update it will be set by the Staging Area level and the number will go up slightly. You will be able to have slightly larger battles. The boost is mostly for players with higher level SA's.

2. Platoon capacity (number of units in a platoon) will get cut down to make it possible to deploy a platoon with a single squad, this will be around a 25% reduction but as you can deploy slightly more you simply take an additional platoon if you want to follow up your attack with more units once the first wave dies. For defenders this means that the enemy will be slightly more spread out (2 smaller squads from 2 angles vs 1 larger squad from one angle). 25% is a rough estimate and may change as we play test the build.

3. The capacity of your Airfield will also be increased slightly.

Hope that clears it up a bit more.
    Again, this is a discussion about the update before it goes live, we appreciate your feedback and questions.
    What would Gabe do?
  • Aiuris Sabling
    Aiuris Sabling
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 43
    David, you just saved all the new people who can only use hercs and no gatling trucks, I love you.

I'm not worried about the attacking capacity, I would actually prefer if it was 25% reduced, and not increased, so that bases would be slightly easier to defend. I have to ask for the same that seems to worry the others though, to keep our platoon capacity and not reduce it. The problem I see is defending in platoon battles. Right now, I feel safe enough with a couple of MTs to attack bases, a handful of riflemen for baiting, and that last squad made only of gatlings so the platoon will be protected from fast buggy attackers. Smaller platoons will be more difficult to defend on the open map.
  • Elder_Lee
    Elder_Lee
    Unicorn Overlord
    David,

Now that is some good information, which will (hopefully) cut down on all the speculation and its related voicing (crying) based on a vague unknown reduction of unit size.

Once more you have shown us WHO the MAN is!!

Way to go David.

Keep them coming.

And while you are online, what about jumping on over to the thread "An open invitation to the Kixeye Gods" and give us some hope on it.
    Lvl 38
  • Perses
    Perses
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 1,754
    Rather than reducing the platoon size why not make a maximum size for the squad. Have the maximum squad size set at whatever that player is able to deploy at one time in battle, but keep the platoon size as it is now (or larger :))

This way, a platoon could be made up of your main attack squad (say all megas or whatever) plus either a reinforcing squad or a platoon defence squad.

This is presuming you havent made it so each squad has to be the same size
    Best Spoiler yet ...
    well if there is a turret it may not be tesla turret, it could be something that fires jackrabbits and honey badgers at things. Or coffee, it could shoot coffee.
  • Tom Borland
    Tom Borland
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 6,413
    More info:

1. Right now the deployment capacity (the number of units you can have in a battle at any one time) is set by the Command Center level, after this update it will be set by the Staging Area level and the number will go up slightly. You will be able to have slightly larger battles. The boost is mostly for players with higher level SA's.

2. Platoon capacity (number of units in a platoon) will get cut down to make it possible to deploy a platoon with a single squad, this will be around a 25% reduction but as you can deploy slightly more you simply take an additional platoon if you want to follow up your attack with more units once the first wave dies. For defenders this means that the enemy will be slightly more spread out (2 smaller squads from 2 angles vs 1 larger squad from one angle). 25% is a rough estimate and may change as we play test the build.

3. The capacity of your Airfield will also be increased slightly.

Hope that clears it up a bit more.
    Again, this is a discussion about the update before it goes live, we appreciate your feedback and questions.

Oooooooo, sounds fun David. Where's the new boy? Though he was going to be doing this while you worked the desk ;)
    GNU Terry Pratchett

• Tommy Gunn
    Tommy Gunn
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 631
    Oooooooo, sounds fun David. Where's the new boy? Though he was going to be doing this while you worked the desk ;)

Poor Bill. David killed him for trying to steal his job...
    WC Level: 30
    User ID: 302068 

[QUOTE=David Scott;1844448]I never stopped loving you my child ;)[/QUOTE]
  • jdk470
    jdk470
    Skilled Warrior
    More info:

I started writing a rant on mega tank spam as I've been targetted by a dude that can easily level me with mega's while I can barely scratch his paint with full platoons of L8 challengers, but 40 days from now I'll be able to defend & attack better as I get L8 mega's of my own.

The shift towards the attackers would be great if they came with an increased ability to defend as well - I'm guessing there are some additional defense towers in ideation that might shift that balance back to the right a bit, but at the end of the day, it seems Mega's can only be defended effectively with other mega's on stand ground.
  • Scurvy
    Scurvy
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 624
    We don't know a number yet, we're playtesting and balancing it. That's why I haven't posted any numbers.
    And we're posting on the forum to get peoples feedback in advance of pushing the update.
    The reason for the reduction is simply to balance the battles and make it possible for someone to deploy a platoon if it only has one squad.

And even if your numbers change, you with your level 10 staging area will still have more space than someone with a level 9. You still have the advantage!

Are you sure you work for Kixeye? No offense, just saying.
  • Sueki Ordaya
    Sueki Ordaya
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2011 Posts: 1,350
    Scurvy wrote: »
    Are you sure you work for KIXEYE? No offense, just saying.

How can you say that to him at all though? He is trying to get public feedback BEFORE the update goes through.

In the past, when they pushed through major updates, the BACKLASH of whining was never ending (and I am not even discounting my OWN whining posts in the past too). Everyone should see this entire thread as a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to get their opinions HEARD before the update goes through. Maybe some opinions will lead to further tweaks too.

And I still have to read through Swag's original post myself in order to understand it all clearly and leave some of my own feedback too.
    WC ID: 126046
    Nickname: Sueki
    Level: 32
    Home Sector: 33
    My FB page
  • Elder_Lee
    Elder_Lee
    Unicorn Overlord
    Sueki,

Once more cutting to the point most are over looking, this is truly new to game modifications.

It's been normal operating procedure to come up with a new concept or game modification and just put it out.

If lucky there would some followup post on the change, and if any changes were made it was an after thought due to player back lash.

I truly feel David is trying a new approach this time, by puting this out there. Sure, since they don't yet even know to what degree it will be or how it will over all be presented.

David and KIXEYE are going out on this one.

Very cool, truly making all of us part of the game unlike any other developer out there.

Once more KIXEYE looks for yet another way to get us invested in the game.
    Lvl 38
  • Scurvy
    Scurvy
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 624
    How can you say that to him at all though? He is trying to get public feedback BEFORE the update goes through.

In the past, when they pushed through major updates, the BACKLASH of whining was never ending (and I am not even discounting my OWN whining posts in the past too). Everyone should see this entire thread as a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to get their opinions HEARD before the update goes through. Maybe some opinions will lead to further tweaks too.

And I still have to read through Swag's original post myself in order to understand it all clearly and leave some of my own feedback too.

I guess you haven't been around as long as I have. No offense but their track record has not been very good. Although Kixeye has been better at this with W/C then they have been in their B/P game.
  • Sueki Ordaya
    Sueki Ordaya
    Incursion Leader
    Lee Duncan wrote: »
    Sueki,

Once more cutting to the point most are over looking, this is truly new to game modifications.

It's been normal operating procedure to come up with a new concept or game modification and just put it out.

If lucky there would some followup post on the change, and if any changes were made it was an after thought due to player back lash.

I truly feel David is trying a new approach this time, by puting this out there. Sure, since they don't yet even know to what degree it will be or how it will over all be presented.

David and KIXEYE are going out on this one.

Very cool, truly making all of us part of the game unlike any other developer out there.

Once more KIXEYE looks for yet another way to get us invested in the game.

OH, I COMPLETELY AGREE. And I think everyone needs to be reminded that the whole KIXEYE team works HARD. I have seen that with my own two eyes.

At this point, I want to buy Rich a FREAKING FRUIT BASKET for Christmas. I wonder if anyone even notices or appreciates how much information actually FLOWS THROUGH HIM lol

This entire thread SHOULD have about 20 pages by now too imo...but I KNOW HUMANITY. They PREFER to whine AFTER something they disagree with is imposed upon them. If given the opportunity to give their feedback first...they go flaccid for the most part. Much like most never even showing up to vote and then complaining about their politicians in place.

And no one knows if this is going to be "standard operating procedure" in the future. KIXEYE is asking for feedback NOW and I just want to hug every single one of them for it too.

I will have to read through all this tomorrow though. It is a lot of information for me to absorb. But I WILL BE BACK :)
    My FB page
  • Sueki Ordaya
    Sueki Ordaya
    Incursion Leader
    Scurvy wrote: »
    I guess you haven't been around as long as I have. No offense but their track record has not been very good. Although KIXEYE has been better at this with W/C then they have been in their B/P game.

I have been around PLENTY LONG, thanks :)

I don't care about "previous track record." I always care about the RIGHT NOW...and what they need RIGHT NOW is feedback and no one's little jokes...or you might joke them right into never doing this again for the community.
    My FB page
  • Drako2k0
    Drako2k0
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 1,320
    I have a question: You said that platoons are repaired only one at a time. Can you still hit the repair all and add all platoons into a repair queue so that the next platoon can repair when the current one is finished repairing? or do you have to actively repair them one at a time like the fleets in battle pirates(hate that btw)

I see that platoon size is 700, does that count through all squads? for instance I currently can hold 500 per squad in my platoons which equates to 8 mega tanks or 2000 space per platoon. 700 platoon size is drastic reduction in the size. Maybe a little too drastic. if working towards balancing platoons sizes we should begin with slight changes first. subtle changes can be felt almost as effectively as a drastic change.
    WC User ID: 799779
    Favorite Units: Elite Warhawk (Level 8) - Elite Gatling Truck (Level 8) - Elite Hellfire Tank (Level 8)
    Gun Turrets - Level 10 X8
    Mortar Turrets - Level 10 X6
    Bunkers - Level 5/Level 5
    We plan to add the ability to customize your base and units: more defensive turret options, adding customizations to platoons, and creating new units that are 100% customizable.
  • Nullified
    Nullified
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 397
    Making and managing platoons just got more complicated.
    WC ID: 3654317

My facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Wargamer1000
  • wesker
    wesker
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 5,473
    i kinda like this but when is base battles going to change so people dont get spammed with 40 mega tanks and get lvled cause theirs no defence to that
    Decimate the Weak

Ships Won: who cares you will see them :D 
    BP-ID: 1824740....lvl 72

• Elder_Lee
    Elder_Lee
    Unicorn Overlord
    Nullified wrote: »
    Making and managing platoons just got more complicated.

Nullified,

Just going by what has been presented I total agree, all the plus parts can be added without needing to change how platoons are currently created.
    Lvl 38
This discussion has been closed.