It has occurred to me the following truths:
(1) It is VERY easy to get resources as long as you can launch fleets. Salvages are everywhere and you can easily net millions with as little as subs, SWs and especially SFB. So the MOST important building in a base is the Dock.
(2) In order to hit a base well you may require a Rocket. So the second most important building 'may' be the Launch Pad.
(3) In order to research and upgrade you need a safe place for some buildings. So there should be a central area for the things you need to protect.
Given these three game truths (as of this date and time) I propose the following base design as being one of the most well thought out designs in the game:
(1) First and foremost is the resilience to Pinch Rockets due to the fact that although the towers are clustered there is more than one cluster.
(2) The Dock is heavily protected by every living tower.
(3) There is a central area for the safety of the Launch Pad and a couple Labs
(4) To discourage the wasted effort (and repairs) of hitting your important stuff, the OP and WHs are placed closest to the entry point so that people who waste their time with worthlessness like stealing res from base can be content and not bother to hit your important stuff. After all, OPs and WHs are absolutely useless. You need only level them up and they no longer serve a purpose in the game. It's not like anyone can honestly protect these things...
This base stands to be one of the wisest builds due to the reasonable gauntlet (may be possible to improve it) and the fact that most base hitters will stop after they've knocked out your OP + WHs. With this base design you can nearly gaurantee that you'll not have a destroyed Dock. You can always have a buddy bubble you with 25-50% damage to your base, giving you time to load up a quick 100M in salvaging if you need to begin any really high level researches. Also, with a functional Dock you can always waste the **** that took your loot
Many may wish to disagree, but I believe that this game has changed to the extent that protecting WHs is no longer smart, but rather we should be guarding our Docks and any other important buildings necessary to OFFENSE and advancement only. After all, defense is absolutely impossible anyways, lol.
I don't play much anymore =(