Disappointed but not surprised (Gatekeeper upgrade)

The Qing
The Qing
Master Tactician
Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 2,453
So... I was taking a look at the Gatekeeper U1 upgrade and was thinking: hey, those healing aura stats seem familiar.

Of course it is, it was the healing rate of the GK before it was nerfed. (2 mil per 0.2 seconds) So now Kixeye is selling the original performance of the GK back to us? Performance that they TOOK from us after we bought the thing? Instead of, y'know, buffing it for free and then doing something else for the upgrade?

What this says is two things:
1. The pre-nerf aura clearly isn't as broken as Kixeye said it was. The upgraded GK is basically pre-nerf GK with a shorter healing aura range. If the reason you nerfed the GK was that GKs could out-heal attacking ships too easily, what changed now? 
2. By selling back the original performance back to us, you not only did a bait and switch, now you're holding the original product that people EXPECTED hostage for even more time/money. It's not good optics.

While I am happy that the GK aura can finally see some use now, I am quite disappointed at how you chose to return the performance of the hull to us, via costly and time-consuming upgrades.  It's like preventing a printer from using yellow ink after we bought the **** printer, then selling us back that functionality a few months later. Really scummy move IMO.
Playing this game is like trying to row a boat up a waterfall.
  • Xevian
    Xevian
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 374
    Only thing they forgot to include was the new defensive armors which will require nearly a day to add each one on build time.  I noticed that too as I've only built 2 GKs because Warhounds were buffed and given assistance to destroy and drive right over GKs, not to mention they are just the Lurker with a mild upgrade.
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Master Tactician
    The Qing said:
    So... I was taking a look at the Gatekeeper U1 upgrade and was thinking: hey, those healing aura stats seem familiar.

Of course it is, it was the healing rate of the GK before it was nerfed. (2 mil per 0.2 seconds) So now Kixeye is selling the original performance of the GK back to us? Performance that they TOOK from us after we bought the thing? Instead of, y'know, buffing it for free and then doing something else for the upgrade?

What this says is two things:
    1. The pre-nerf aura clearly isn't as broken as Kixeye said it was. The upgraded GK is basically pre-nerf GK with a shorter healing aura range. If the reason you nerfed the GK was that GKs could out-heal attacking ships too easily, what changed now? 
    2. By selling back the original performance back to us, you not only did a bait and switch, now you're holding the original product that people EXPECTED hostage for even more time/money. It's not good optics.

While I am happy that the GK aura can finally see some use now, I am quite disappointed at how you chose to return the performance of the hull to us, via costly and time-consuming upgrades.  It's like preventing a printer from using yellow ink after we bought the **** printer, then selling us back that functionality a few months later. Really scummy move IMO.
    Well, I will agree about one aspect of this...they did very piss poor testing on the hull when they released it originally. The 3 hulls grouped around a portal made it virtually impossible to crack AT THAT TIME. 

The U1 upgrade only adds the speed healing back, not the range, not the additional buildings, etc...  and it is actually needed now because of the U1 upgrades to other hulls. Personally, I think they should just adjust the GK and skip the upgrade....in fairness to ALL the players..
    But that's the issue, NONE of the U1 upgrades of the conquerors actually boosts their damage output. (maybe the warhound rocket angle increase might make it easier to use the rockets but that's really grasping at straws). Warhound DPS remains the same, so what's stopping 3 upgraded GKs from locking that fleet out now?
  • devilsreject971
    devilsreject971
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,303
    The Qing said:
    But that's the issue, NONE of the U1 upgrades of the conquerors actually boosts their damage output. (maybe the warhound rocket angle increase might make it easier to use the rockets but that's really grasping at straws). Warhound DPS remains the same, so what's stopping 3 upgraded GKs from locking that fleet out now?
    Because the thing that made the GKs so hard was that the transfer rate was previously 80 or 85% of health. It's only 50% and that's not enough to keep fleets out. 

Additionally, the U1 Trenchers do add a stun, and the U1 Hellswarms are about be as fast as Warhounds at 50% health...which could create some very interesting base hitting
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Master Tactician
    The Qing said:
    Because the thing that made the GKs so hard was that the transfer rate was previously 80 or 85% of health. It's only 50% and that's not enough to keep fleets out. 

Additionally, the U1 Trenchers do add a stun, and the U1 Hellswarms are about be as fast as Warhounds at 50% health...which could create some very interesting base hitting
    right, I forgot about that, thanks. I believe it was 75%.
  • ZoneTan
    ZoneTan
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2018 Posts: 191
    The Qing said:
    when the warhounds got a buff and the gate keeper got nerfed, the warhounds actually did get a damage increase to under water damage done. and that was with no strings attached, the same should be done to the gate keeper to make it fair.
  • Alexa the BAE
    Alexa the BAE
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 670
    The original briefing covering gatekeeper, the way it was intended to be.

https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/771842
    "a computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing"