New Defender Surprise?

Jason Ensinger
Jason Ensinger
Unicorn Overlord
Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 4,154
This can't be anywhere near the final design for the new defender. It doesn't really do anything significant. I mean, I guess the deflection debuffs add up over time, but there's at least a dozen east ways for attackers to mitigate the debuffs. So what's it really gonna do? Could totally skip them if we didn't know you're just going to turn around and completely redesign them into something useful.

Surprised I'm the first one to point out this elephant in the room.
  • DerpyTheCow
    DerpyTheCow
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,112
    It's difficult for me to tell if the defenders actually do anything. Like, the deflections are getting lower up to a certain point (which takes 5 minutes of constant firing with 1 ship, and 2.5 minutes of constant firing with 2). The tricky part for me is that I can't actually see my ships getting weaker. Generally, I like the concept of the hull but it seems...underwhelming? Maybe I need to see it in actual player bases first
    When I am not helping people on forums, and I'm not banned, I run a YouTube channel.  I focus on actually helping players in the game. I respond to every comment on there, so it is the best way to find me. If you want more info click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DerpyTheCow47?sub_confirmation=1
  • jon pirate
    jon pirate
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 838
    It's difficult for me to tell if the defenders actually do anything. Like, the deflections are getting lower up to a certain point (which takes 5 minutes of constant firing with 1 ship, and 2.5 minutes of constant firing with 2). The tricky part for me is that I can't actually see my ships getting weaker. Generally, I like the concept of the hull but it seems...underwhelming? Maybe I need to see it in actual player bases first
    I told you this but you went on how good it will be -200 is just not enough 
    Make BP Great Again
  • CM_Ghillie
    CM_Ghillie
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    Joined Jun 2019 Posts: 2,546
    We're keeping an eye on it - keep the feedback coming. I know @kix_braden is on it and every bit of (constructive) info is helpful.

As much as folks complain about things changing after release, sometimes it's impossible to see how things will pan out until we have a wider group actively trying them. That's also one of the positives about a game like this - we can (and often do) adjust things as needed based on feedback. :)
    Battle Pirates Community Manager
  • jon pirate
    jon pirate
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 838
    It should be around -500 to -1000 a shot -75 on 100.000 dose nothing 
    Make BP Great Again
  • mattheusD
    mattheusD
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 588
    We're keeping an eye on it - keep the feedback coming. I know @kix_braden is on it and every bit of (constructive) info is helpful.

As much as folks complain about things changing after release, sometimes it's impossible to see how things will pan out until we have a wider group actively trying them. That's also one of the positives about a game like this - we can (and often do) adjust things as needed based on feedback. :)
    can we maybe get some video's from test server to? (the end result)
    in kix base it dont see it do mutch ?
  • XVIII-Luna
    XVIII-Luna
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Sep 2018 Posts: 554
    edited 23 Jul 2020, 11:41PM
    Would recommend giving the thrower a 2 second debuff that reduces enemy accuracy so it can keep itself alive in the event that it has to go 1v5 the enemy fleet outside of the safety of the base.

Won't change a whole lot but it will let the ship buy your base more time during combat.
    Started in 2011, sector 19.
  • Jason_Y85
    Jason_Y85
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 150

mattheusD said:

can we maybe get some video's from test server to? (the end result)
    in kix base it dont see it do mutch ?
    Players/Coiners are KIX's QA team. Players/Coiners PAY to test their products. This can save cost on hiring QA team and get the most profit within the last few months.
  • tklawrence
    tklawrence
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 156
    The strategic value of these ships may not come from the damage they can do but how they impede an attack and prevent a successful completion during the limited amount of time available during an attack on a base.  I think we got a hint of that attacking some of the Kixeye players' bases in Bounty.  I guess we'll see soon enough how well this addition to our arsenal works.
  • DerpyTheCow
    DerpyTheCow
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,112
    Hmmmm....the buff means they now reach max stacks 3x faster. So, probably by 3 minutes in with 1 or 1.5 minutes with two. Still hard to see anything happening
    When I am not helping people on forums, and I'm not banned, I run a YouTube channel.  I focus on actually helping players in the game. I respond to every comment on there, so it is the best way to find me. If you want more info click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DerpyTheCow47?sub_confirmation=1
  • Mark_G323
    Mark_G323
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 119

thats positive and i get your point, but as the thread shows esp Derpy's comments its hard to know if the hull is actually doing anything useful, i would hope it would be like the name suggests a Piranha actually has a greater bite force than a white shark, so maybe add some more weapon slots and increase the power of the weapon, especially after we now have new very strong attacker armours - otherwise this piranha is a bit more like a limp goldfish 
  • Nasty Basstard
    Nasty Basstard
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 87
    edited 26 Jul 2020, 1:42AM

Ok I have hit bases with two in their defend fleet I was able to kill both and the base in under 5 mins time and the slow down effect it has didn't effect me at all. The ship does close to 0 damage to any fleet attacking and never slowed me down. Is the .25 slow effect just a visual glitch I do not think so, I get better slowdown effect with a Warden with EMP then this ship does, so if a tier 7 hull out does a tier 9 hull it seems to be a regression instead of a progress in hulls. Either way this bounty seems to be a waste of seat time to gain the new and better hull.  I will look at future hulls a crapload closer before sitting on the computer for hours.
  • Dave Martin
    Dave Martin
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 671
    this new hull is only good if inside base. Outside any base an attacker can just sit there out of range of base turrets and kill them. inside base is where they need to be but since warhounds/trenchers walk past turrets already without a scratch the buffs need to be higher since I bet even having 3 pirahnas do not reduce deflections enough to make a dent.. these need to be made so that an attacker comes into range deflections reduced happens faster and at a higher number. I would say much faster like 75% faster and splash based so entire fleet is the same. 

this will make defending easier and these new hulls worth anything. otherwise like the gatekeeper they are a waste of time...

• Dopey_87
    Dopey_87
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2014 Posts: 160

Unfortunately, this is the main problem.... Kix constantly puts out new toys that look good on paper, but are almost always over/underwhelming. The feedback you speak of when "refining" them doesn't come from the masses, but from the selective few. We know it, you know it, so please don't try to convince us otherwise. There used to be open preview servers before each raid that were first come, first serve.... WTF happened to them? Too many "casual" players giving you guys honest opinions? I've seen the test servers mentioned when yous are trying to justify the "tweaks" you make, but who is actually testing anything? To us, it seems like no one is..... Just saying
  • Laredo
    Laredo
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 18,525
    Closing, thread has run its course.
  • CM_Ghillie
    CM_Ghillie
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    Joined Jun 2019 Posts: 2,546
    Relayed additional feedback. Thanks, folks. 
    Battle Pirates Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.