Diamond Tech for Darkstorm - What is the point

• Tiberian-Sun
    Tiberian-Sun
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2017 Posts: 152
    edited 11 May 2020, 6:54PM
    Skipjack said:

Hi Skipjack :) 

Thank you for sharing this insight into the thinking behind the Darkstorm diamond tech available from Operation: Storm's Eye.

In response to KIX_Braden reasoning I would request you reconsider the functionality of the Darkstorm diamond tech. Allow me to at least propose my argument against its current set up and give suggestions that I hope you consider adopting.

To start with the Corpus army does indeed have room for a heavy durable tank but for the time being at least we will have to make do with the Darkstorm. Maybe once it was a very durable tank but sadly this is no longer so, not even with my Corpus allegiance and utilizing the faction buff will it stand for long vs the current threats. 

Adding a -30% damage buff from all sources, is a nice thing in of itself but at the cost of a reduced aura size it is a penalty not worth the expense.  

The one single greatest thing is that 700 range of the Darkstorm's nano-storm aura, honestly its the only thing that keeps it alive on today's battlefield and relevant as a unit in the current generation. The value of the aura therefore can not be overstated, in supporting both the Darkstorm itself as well as any accompanying units. 

In addition to the -30% damage buff from all sources you added a +30% damage buff to all sources, this is again pretty nice and much the standard it seems for diamond tech of uniques. For example the last such diamond tech for the Kraken with the same plus and minus 30% for damage for and against.  However with the addition of being able to target all 16 lasers onto one enemy, the Kraken diamond tech helped it over come its shortfalls, even at level 1 this tech was worth equipping. 

In contrast the Darkstorm's new diamond tech only provides a heavy penalty to the aura's range for very little additional benefit.

I would argue that any and all diamond tech represents the zenith of that technology and should therefore overcome any shortfalls or limitation in the unit. 

If you wanted to switch up the aura for a shorter one, so that the Ds' can be used in a different way than you should at least consider adding something, maybe additional movement speed to help the Darkstorm cover the distance faster.

Personally I would prefer not to see any reduction in the nano-storm aura, for the reasons I mentioned above.

If anything just the + damage per second and the - damage from all sources is sufficient.

• Tiberian-Sun
    Tiberian-Sun
    Minor Nuisance
    nametagg0 said:

for those that care this means 1 single shot from the dark-storm is 10 million damage with a maxed darkstorm doing nearly 12 million every single shot
    And once it comes within range of turrets with range or controllers, with it's aura greatly reduced...... it....along with any supporting units relying on it's aura....get mullered !!!! Joke of an upgrade for supposed ' Diamond Tech '  !!!
    Thanks for the info nametagg0, have to say didn't see this before making my post but Im with ANONYMOUS on this. The best thing about the Ds' is the 700 range nano-storm aura, take that away and no amount of extra DPS will keep it alive long enough to do it any good.
  • AllianceForceBis
    AllianceForceBis
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 38
    edited 11 May 2020, 7:27PM
    this is a fraud !! i dont read anything about reducing the aura of DS when i bought the diamond :@ ... i dont need this diamond anymore give me back the prestige or take out the effect of aura, it has no sense !! the first diamond in game who give something negative with the bonus ! DS will be more weak with this diamond not the reverse and what is diamond for lol
    I have same idea!
  • Ralgof
    Ralgof
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 174
    this is a fraud !! i dont read anything about reducing the aura of DS when i bought the diamond :@ ... i dont need this diamond anymore give me back the prestige or take out the effect of aura, it has no sense !! the first diamond in game who give something negative with the bonus ! DS will be more weak with this diamond not the reverse and what is diamond for lol
    You actually have a valid point! In the prize description it says NOTHING about replacing the normal DS aura with this needle sized aura, why trick your players and be underhanded like this?!
  • Tiberian-Sun
    Tiberian-Sun
    Minor Nuisance
    Its fair to say the lack of consistency in the descriptions of this diamond tech is misleading 

• it will fitz
    it will fitz
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 2,882
    if the 500% is true, I guess I will need to 'put my nose' to the grind stone

hopefully I will have the time to reach the 300 points
    137.5°
  • RSGhost
    RSGhost
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 226
    nametagg0 said:

for those that care this means 1 single shot from the dark-storm is 10 million damage with a maxed darkstorm doing nearly 12 million every single shot
    threes one issue here, ds mainly is on a platoon not because of its firepower but because of its AURA!  without aura controller just POOF ds without aura devout just POOF ds  so it can add billion damage WHO cares if it need to be at range 500 vs anything can 1-2 shoot it  deal :D 
  • FBHO
    FBHO
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 2,508
    if the 500% is true, I guess I will need to 'put my nose' to the grind stone

hopefully I will have the time to reach the 300 points
    Don't forget that there's also 15 levels of timed upgrades on that tech - at the same time that the monthly new unit gets over 30 days worth of tech upgrades... 
  • Cpt.MarvelsExHusband
    Cpt.MarvelsExHusband
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2019 Posts: 127

Yeah I still see no reason to use up 300 prestige on this tech

I have 440 right now and will simply save it for next event

Diamond tech is supposed to make a unit better..... Not worse

A debuffed Darkstorm will never get a shot off against a bunker with high level controllers so who cares what it's hitting power is

• Ralgof
    Ralgof
    Minor Nuisance
    Could someone from Kixeye enlighten us as to how this tech is actually going to be useful, and more useful than the standard DS aura! I think we are all curious about the method of your madness, so to speak.
  • Perry299
    Perry299
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 4,939
    Ralgof said:
    Could someone from Kixeye enlighten us as to how this tech is actually going to be useful, and more useful than the standard DS aura! I think we are all curious about the method of your madness, so to speak.
    The statement was made the tech is situational.... it's the players job to use their brain to identify those situations, not the company's.. 
    "Don't cry, Don't whine, it's a strategic game so either you GIT GUD or you Go Home"
  • Ulrich Wastian
    Ulrich Wastian
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,058
    ... but the "why this kidding-toy" would indeed be extremely interesting ...

Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are not safe

• gabriel.vanoort
    gabriel.vanoort
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 9
    KIX BRADEN SHUT UP MAN 500% EXTRA WHAT, AAAAAUUURAAAAAAA THAT IS WHAT WE WANT NOT EVEN 10.000% MAKE UP FOR THE AURO REDUCTION BESIDES FOR THAT PRICE YOU SHOULD NOT PUT ANY REDUCTION ON IT 300 PRESTIGE FCK I WORKED MY **** OF FOR 300 PRESTIGE LUCKELY I SAW POSTS BEFORE I BUY I WILL NOT TAKE SOMETHING LIKE THAT KEEP YOUR DIAMOND TECH I THOUGHT APRIL FOOLS ALREADY IN THE PAST BUT SEEMS LIKE YOU STIL HAD 1 LATE APRIL JOKE THANKS I'LL KEEP MY PRESTIGE FOR NEXT EVENT HOPEFULY YOU GOT SOMETHING GOOD IN STORE MAYBE A NEW PROPHET SHOT THAT HEALL YOUR ENEMY'S INSTEAD OF KILLING THEM JUST A SUGGESTION  
  • MIKIEBOY666
    MIKIEBOY666
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 137
    You dont need to buy it. I agree its not worth it but its not like you dont have a choice.  Dont think it calls for the CAPS LOCK attack.
  • Ulrich Wastian
    Ulrich Wastian
    Master Tactician
    ... should I really be the only one, who is interested about the "why" ...

• legendkiller1369
    legendkiller1369
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 304

No aura it’s usless cuz it gonna die in seconds on a high base

• Ralgof
    Ralgof
    Minor Nuisance
    Perry299 said:
    Ralgof said:
    The statement was made the tech is situational.... it's the players job to use their brain to identify those situations, not the company's.. 

This game keeps us busy more than enough, why the need to make something entirely useless (still waiting to see if someone from Kix can enlighten us as to the positive purpose of this tech) that we are expected to grind for? Sure, nobody has a gun to our head, we can choose whether to get it or not. But hence my question, what am I missing? Why the trickery? Okay, we've long realised that Kix doesn't really care about their players, all they're interested in is gold sales, but this is a new level of WTF...

All I can surmise is that they've run out of ideas and have turn to the suggestion box on the way to the toilet.

With that said, not going to bother with this tech!
  • Cpt.MarvelsExHusband
    Cpt.MarvelsExHusband
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2019 Posts: 127

@Ulrich Wastian said:

No I'm also curious

I simply can not believe the best reasoning so far is that it makes it harder hitting for certain situations

That shows a complete lack of awareness by the developer as to how this game is played

I can't believe they are that far out of touch

• Andre Mann
    Andre Mann
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 7
     I dont understand why it does not tell you it reduces the aura and makes the ds useless before you buy it. If we had known that we could have made an informed choice, instead Kixeye mis-sold it and everyone who got it have wasted their time on a white elephant 
    I feel really frustrated by this too.  What a crock.  Grinding through all those V bases for something that ruins the DS????  How annoying.
  • Ulrich Wastian
    Ulrich Wastian
    Master Tactician
    the most frustrating thing about it is no official response or explanatory at all ...

• lolwut1337
    lolwut1337
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 610
    Doesn't really matter. Once ARES comes out this tech would be pointless. And if ARES can't outperform this then ARES would be pointless and stays level 1.
  • Ulrich Wastian
    Ulrich Wastian
    Master Tactician
    the Ares vs Darkstorm ... is not really often the case in the game ... so almost uninteresting ... and certainly not a real explanation ...

• steve_81
    steve_81
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2013 Posts: 712
    its a pointless tech for simple reason is the darkstorm has never been used as a tank to kill anything as its gun was never good enough, even with a 30% boost its not going to get used that way. if you use it that way just to get the fraction boost you would be better to use 4 gorgans which would take up less space and take 7 shots to kill not 2
  • Perry299
    Perry299
    Unicorn Overlord
    steve_81 said:
    its a pointless tech for simple reason is the darkstorm has never been used as a tank to kill anything as its gun was never good enough, even with a 30% boost its not going to get used that way. if you use it that way just to get the fraction boost you would be better to use 4 gorgans which would take up less space and take 7 shots to kill not 2
    if you max the tech.. its 530% of base damage not 30%
    "Don't cry, Don't whine, it's a strategic game so either you GIT GUD or you Go Home"
  • Delphinus
    Delphinus
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jan 2016 Posts: 1,309
    Lol at every single description of the Tech being different, seriously guys...
  • Vegeta9192001
    Vegeta9192001
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 1,079
    Perry299 said:
    steve_81 said:
    Dont lie.

• Perry299
    Perry299
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 13 May 2020, 8:39PM
    Perry299 said:
    steve_81 said:
    Dont lie.

That Damage Boost has been corrected to 400% + 30% if tech is maxed...