Engineering Diary - Info on the HTML5 Beta Launch

CM_Ghillie
CM_Ghillie
KIXEYE Community Manager
Joined Jun 2019 Posts: 2,496
edited 14 Jan 2020, 11:42PM

Please note: The official forum post on the HTML5 Beta Launch goes live by end of day January 14th.

Greetings Captains!

I’m here to talk to you about HTML5 - in particular what we’re doing and how it impacts you.

I’m sure many of you are well familiar with the slow removal of the Flash technology from browsers, and its final end of support on December 31st, 2020, from its creator - Adobe. Battle Pirates is as important to us as it is to you. Consequently, we’ve invested heavily in our ability to continue supporting it beyond that date.

Where We’ve Been

Over the last year, we’ve been working hard to port the game from ActionScript 3 to HTML5, via the intermediary technology HAXE and OpenFL. This has been no mean feat as Battle Pirates is an almost 9-year-old game with a significant number of features and systems (roughly 2800 files and 380,000 lines of code), as well as being one of the most rendering-heavy browser-based games out there, with thousands of moving images in battle.

This port initially involved mass migration of our entire client-side code base, then significant time fixing bugs from the automated porting system. After we had a semi-stable version up and running, our QA extensively tested the game from top to bottom to ensure all our systems were running smoothly. We also spent a significant amount of effort optimizing the performance of our rendering and loading systems, working with the creators of OpenFL to ensure the performance met our standards. All the while numerous code changes made to the ActionScript 3 code needed to be manually ported over to ensure they were not lost.

Where We Are

I’m proud to say after this monumental effort we now believe we’re finally in a position to open this up to players. As this is a significant technological change and we’re endeavouring to have as smooth a rollout as possible, initially we will be allowing players to opt-in to the HTML5 version by the use of a button above the game when they load in. Clicking this will reload the page to use the HTML5 client instead of the Flash client, though it still communicates with the same servers and loads your same account. 

Where We’re Going

As the saying goes, “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” 

It’s difficult for us to predict all the possible permutations of player hardware, operating system, browser, and Internet connections, so we anticipate edge cases will be found once this version enters the wild. If you encounter any issues we’d love to know so we can fix them ASAP, and if you encounter significant problems you can always return to the Flash version of the game using the same button you used to access the HTML5 version.

Once the dust has settled and we’re confident no major issues remain, we will swap the game over to load the HTML5 version by default, to ensure the majority of players are given the opportunity to experience the new version of the game with the safety of falling back to the flash version if necessary. After a period of time, we will disable the old Flash version entirely and Battle Pirates will continue long into the future safely in HTML5.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and I will do my best to answer them.

~ KIXEYE_Peter

Battle Pirates Community Manager
  • Dale Madsen
    Dale Madsen
    Potential Threat
    Joined Dec 2017 Posts: 32
    I have played for 8 years so I have seen it all from KIXEYE. Reading this a few times it reads as KIX  is leaving themselves out as they have done before : ie it is your browsers or you internet connection, or your PC. Have heard from KIX before after each and every change/REFACTOR/defensivefefractor so I have seen this dance.   I really do hope KIXEYE gets it right  with minimal slipups.
  • Stewart ri
    Stewart ri
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 139
    I will say the old me did not trust kixeye to be able to fart in a bean factory now I have a lot of faith in them with the new team but if they mess up I will still call tghem out on it but just in a nicer way. Thank you Kixeye team you are going the right way keep it up

• carl.wear.3
    carl.wear.3
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 6,287
    Now if Kixeye had only converted the game to HTML5 about 5 years ago when we first asked then it wouldn't have been such a mammoth task.

So HTML5. does that work on both FB and the kixeye website or just loading up through the kixeye website?
  • dlaw001
    dlaw001
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2017 Posts: 308
    Sorry, but I have to laugh....

'..our QA extensively tested......"

What an absolute joke...you don't have a QA team that you employ....you have the players that report the faults and issues to you....why would this release any different from the other things that you have released???

None, it is going to be utter shambles.....and that is being optimistic!
  • ThePirateGamer
    ThePirateGamer
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2019 Posts: 440
    i still have a question when html5 is released how will it affect our pcs to regards to hardware?

• XFILESMULDER
    XFILESMULDER
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 3
    its something else you guys will screw up
  • DazzXP
    DazzXP
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2011 Posts: 3,587
    Well one things for sure it can't be anywhere near as bad as flash. Don't get me wrong flash was designed for website and video animation not for games and when you factor in a live environment with lots of people interacting well thats why a lot of issues are here.
    We want the Dry Dock NOW! http://www.facebook.com/groups/184955281636155/ We need YOU! The game needs YOU!
  • suck-ma-stump
    suck-ma-stump
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 352
    html update going to change how our ships look ..... i remember the last time the ships changed ...everyone got there knickers in a twist because seawolfs lost there rightangles and gained smooth edges :D 
  • Silver Stefaans
    Silver Stefaans
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2018 Posts: 440
    html update going to change how our ships look ..... i remember the last time the ships changed ...everyone got there knickers in a twist because seawolfs lost there rightangles and gained smooth edges :D 
    lol yes.....and Kix had to do a 180 degree turn right pronto.

Of course that gave birth to all the new hulls being pumped out. Kix was never going to let the community dictate the terms.
  • Anyone seeing the HTML 5 magic button? I ain't!
  • stephenl90
    stephenl90
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 820
    Anyone seeing the HTML 5 magic button? I ain't!
    It will be later today. They aint even started work yet.
  • James Leon
    James Leon
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,744
    D-day fo rBP is finally here and hopefully when I log in tonight it is still here! If not it has been a fun ride. 
    ahava veshalom
  • joey.penfold
    joey.penfold
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 66
    edited 14 Jan 2020, 5:18PM
    i play now 9y this game and kix never give us a decend produkt that working lol GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HTLM5, I BET 10$ that we have more LAG MORE CRASH MORE GLITCHES WELL MORE WHAT EVER YOU LIKES  and CM_Ghillie your our QA extensively tested the game from top to bottom   is the best joke we read today again. good luck lol

• Michael Horman
    Michael Horman
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 164
    There was a mention of an opt in option starting today so how do we opt in ?
  • HOT-COFFEE
    HOT-COFFEE
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 334
    i would bet it wont happen until after the raid
  • PiratePeteX
    PiratePeteX
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2016 Posts: 194
    Please get the QA team/person to go over it all again and again. QA has always been a weak point at Kix HQ.
  • Levinia Jolls30
    Levinia Jolls30
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2018 Posts: 49
    I get so tired of all the negative responses. At least they are trying to keep the game alive. If you don't like the game, then QUIT and save Kixeye the time and expense of the conversion to HTML. They and all players have two options (as off December 2020 flash players shuts down) Kixeye can end the game or upgrade to HTML. I personally give them a E for effort on trying to keep the game alive. So for now it's a wait and see.
  • DazzXP
    DazzXP
    Unicorn Overlord
    i play now 9y this game and kix never give us a decend produkt that working lol GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HTLM5, I BET 10$ that we have more LAG MORE CRASH MORE GLITCHES WELL MORE WHAT EVER YOU LIKES  and CM_Ghillie your our QA extensively tested the game from top to bottom   is the best joke we read today again. good luck lol

The clue is in the title HTML5 ((Beta)) Launch and have asked to report issues that are encountered.
    We want the Dry Dock NOW! http://www.facebook.com/groups/184955281636155/ We need YOU! The game needs YOU!
  • joey.penfold
    joey.penfold
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 66
    DazzXP said:

The clue is in the title HTML5 ((Beta)) Launch and have asked to report issues that are encountered.
    That mean that we have to do KIX JOB because it is what it is allways is 100% full bugs. sorry 9y im playing this game and i know what coming lol 
  • DerpyTheCow
    DerpyTheCow
    Master Tactician
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 2,088

@PiratePeteX said:
    Please get the QA team/person to go over it all again and again. QA has always been a weak point at Kix HQ.

They’ve done more testing than just what was mentioned. Luckily we aren’t going to have to all port over automatically, the post says he can opt in/out for the start as we see fit

When I am not helping people on forums, and I'm not banned, I run a YouTube channel.  I focus on actually helping players in the game. I respond to every comment on there, so it is the best way to find me. If you want more info click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DerpyTheCow47?sub_confirmation=1
  • DazzXP
    DazzXP
    Unicorn Overlord
    edited 14 Jan 2020, 7:30PM
    DazzXP said:

That mean that we have to do KIX JOB because it is what it is allways is 100% full bugs. sorry 9y im playing this game and i know what coming lol 
    Yes and the game was in the Beta stage for the first 3 years before having to remove beta per facebook policy but the game has technically never been out of beta. In anycase they expect bugs and want us to help them, the develpment team is quite small and they won't discover all of them (let alone fix) and the rendering engine going from flash to HTML is pretty big especially with all the assets that is involved and loaded (hence the game is a memory hog). Yes i have also beeing playing this game for 9 almost 10 years also so understand and no i bet alot of the bugs won't be fixed in the update but flash is was never designed for games to begin with which is why BP plays bad and yes we are the beta testers and always will be.
  • ralf.saunameister
    ralf.saunameister
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 212
    i want a free universal upgrade token for every day i login in html :-) 
  • suck-ma-stump
    suck-ma-stump
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 352
    when is this happening .....c'mon i been waiting all day for this .... dont tell me your going to give us a button to press then make me wait for it i hope its a big shiny red button omfg i just wanna press the button 
  • filmbryan1
    filmbryan1
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 5,865

@Stewart ri said:
    I will say the old me did not trust kixeye to be able to fart in a bean factory now I have a lot of faith in them with the new team but if they mess up I will still call tghem out on it but just in a nicer way. Thank you Kixeye team you are going the right way keep it up

Lol what new team? The same design team is there from before stillfront bought them.

You will only receive my scorn from this point forward
  • michaelg21
    michaelg21
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,891
    I have played for 8 years so I have seen it all from KIXEYE. Reading this a few times it reads as KIX  is leaving themselves out as they have done before : ie it is your browsers or you internet connection, or your PC. Have heard from KIX before after each and every change/REFACTOR/defensivefefractor so I have seen this dance.   I really do hope KIXEYE gets it right  with minimal slipups.
    No offense here Dale but your Join Date says something entirely different from playing 8 years. Care to venture why that's the case?
  • michaelg21
    michaelg21
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 1,891
    I find it amazing that everyone here says they have been playing the game for 8-9 YEARS, yet their join dates on the forum are no where NEAR that time frame. Some that say that have join dates of 2017 or later. So, either you are having trouble with your memory or could it be other reasons why your original accounts are no longer here? I mean I just find it funny. So many don't even bother to read the posts on the forums then ask questions that have already been answered MANY TIMES. Give me a break people. So much negative BS-tell us again, why are you here?
This discussion has been closed.