Trying to understand portal traps

CptBlackEye-0
CptBlackEye-0
Skilled Warrior
Joined May 2014 Posts: 439
Hey everyone. I took some time away from the game and I'm still trying to figure out some mechanics; knowledge that most of you probably take for granted... I have specific questions on these portal traps... Thank you.

Unstable Magnetic Zone

I do not understand what the Berserk & Overload functions are. What do they do?

Scourge Undersea Web I

The hover display was confusing so I made my own columns. I'm not sure about the middle column having two different Concussive deflections. My question isn't about that though.

The third column (non-Scourge factions) - How does this Corrosive damage work? Is it minimum pass through, all deflected, or what? At the stated per second damage rate, that works out to 150k per minute (adds up if they remain in the field), but only if it still works against modern ships.

Hoplite Wall

Although the Thorns effect isn't likely the reason most people are using this trap, but I'd like to know... Do the Thorns cause any damage, or if its all deflected?
  • DJJeckel65
    DJJeckel65
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 336
    I would recommend checking my channel out. As you can see this Is what will be hitting your base and they will rush threw if you dont have a wall up. most of the time players just go for 50% and or just your OP. 

If you looking for info that the big coiners don't want to share, check out DJJeckel65 on you tube.  I do try to help as much as I can. Been playing since Beta . 
  • ScattergunScott
    ScattergunScott
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2017 Posts: 1,582
    Hey everyone. I took some time away from the game and I'm still trying to figure out some mechanics; knowledge that most of you probably take for granted... I have specific questions on these portal traps... Thank you.

Unstable Magnetic Zone

I do not understand what the Berserk & Overload functions are. What do they do?

Scourge Undersea Web I

The hover display was confusing so I made my own columns. I'm not sure about the middle column having two different Concussive deflections. My question isn't about that though.

The third column (non-Scourge factions) - How does this Corrosive damage work? Is it minimum pass through, all deflected, or what? At the stated per second damage rate, that works out to 150k per minute (adds up if they remain in the field), but only if it still works against modern ships.

Hoplite Wall

Although the Thorns effect isn't likely the reason most people are using this trap, but I'd like to know... Do the Thorns cause any damage, or if its all deflected?
    On the Hoplite Wall, THORNs are immune to Deflection. 
  • BuckMeatmissile
    BuckMeatmissile
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2018 Posts: 486

Portals do not much of anything, BUT you do get two turret mounts with each. The problem is there are no transformer slots, and you have to split the power capacity between the two turrets. Since these die very quickly you will lose those two turrets soon after the portal is hit. They were INTENDED to be put in the front to block and slow ships, but I find they are good for Elite Countermeasure and other low power and/or long range turrets

Me: Here is how I clear the fleets out of the 500 with Silverfish
    Worz: Um... You're hiding behind a rock.
    Me: I'd hide behind a preschool if I thought it would help
  • TRUCULENT2
    TRUCULENT2
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Mar 2014 Posts: 2,807

Portals do not much of anything, BUT you do get two turret mounts with each. The problem is there are no transformer slots, and you have to split the power capacity between the two turrets. Since these die very quickly you will lose those two turrets soon after the portal is hit. They were INTENDED to be put in the front to block and slow ships, but I find they are good for Elite Countermeasure and other low power and/or long range turrets

For the most part I agree with you. While they don't do much, not having them equipped and upgraded is a mistake. I don't think they will ever be able to carry a Heavy Transformer, but I would wager that Level 4 portals (likely coming with the next OP upgrade) will have some improvements to make them more useful. 

Portals are useful though in that they require an attacker to destroy them before moving on (though brief - its time your turrets are firing and not taking fire), and they can factor heavily in your bubble pad - 3 dead level 3 portals in a fully upgraded base is roughly half way to 25%.

To the OP: if you peak in the higher up bases or in the opponent bases in Bounty - you'll see a mix of Hoplites, Seawalls, and Ramparts. No, thorns will have no effect on modern Conquerors. Concussive damage is not something you should currently be worried about, since Breachers are slowly fading in relevance - sure, it might keep that fleet out but it wont slow Howlers, Subjugators, or Basilisks. In the end, pick which works based on your chosen faction. Ultimately, these portals were designed to combat tier 6 conquerors - we are now on tier 8.
    I have a hard time believing that we are dealing with a company that is brilliantly scamming us AND entirely incompetent. 

This is a private company in a capitalist market trying to make money - your money. Give it to them, or don't - but don't fault them for trying. 
  • CptBlackEye-0
    CptBlackEye-0
    Skilled Warrior

To the OP: if you peak in the higher up bases or in the opponent bases in Bounty - you'll see a mix of Hoplites, Seawalls, and Ramparts. No, thorns will have no effect on modern Conquerors. Concussive damage is not something you should currently be worried about, since Breachers are slowly fading in relevance - sure, it might keep that fleet out but it wont slow Howlers, Subjugators, or Basilisks. In the end, pick which works based on your chosen faction. Ultimately, these portals were designed to combat tier 6 conquerors - we are now on tier 8.
    I used to have my portals with the undersea web to slow incoming fleets. I gave up on that since fleets were consistently rushing through them at speed.

I've always believed in 'defense in depth'. Never count on any one thing to kill attackers. Thinking that possibly the corrosive damage might add a little to the effort from my turrets/defense fleet. Same with the Thorns.
  • CptBlackEye-0
    CptBlackEye-0
    Skilled Warrior
    I would recommend checking my channel out. As you can see this Is what will be hitting your base and they will rush threw if you dont have a wall up. most of the time players just go for 50% and or just your OP. 

Please post relevant video links. This video did not address any of my questions.
  • DJJeckel65
    DJJeckel65
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 336

Please post relevant video links. This video did not address any of my questions.

It absolutely goes with the topic you had a battle Pirates question I am using a battle Pirates video to illustrate what you will be going against because you are in battle parts you will have a base and people will attack said base and this is a popular build that will be attacking you no matter how you upgrade your portal your portal will not be able to defend against a subjugator and you will not be able to hurt said subjugator so if you were to watch the video and see the stats of this subjugator you would see they're trying to do 1200 damage to it will not penetrate the 75,000 deflexion it has Those figures may not be 100% accurate but they're about 80% accurate to help illustrate the point either way you may not understand it and it may go over your head however upsetting this maybe the information was placed to help you out but you are illustrated how quick you are to judge and not receive the information that is being presented to you the other thing is if you watched my other videos they just came out with a new turret and then they nerfed the crap out of it which is another thing you need to take into consideration however you make your build there's a good chance that kixeye will change it for you and make it weaker so that video would assisted you way more than you realize

If you looking for info that the big coiners don't want to share, check out DJJeckel65 on you tube.  I do try to help as much as I can. Been playing since Beta . 
  • Heftybear08
    Heftybear08
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 134

Why don't you accept when others are trying to help you !!! I briefly looked at your other responses and you are very combative to those that are trying to assist you. You are being very counterproductive.
    I am heftybear08!!!!