VOICES OF REASON

CYOGrille
CYOGrille
Greenhorn
Joined Oct 2019 Posts: 2

Rational Game Play!

The game goes on year after year. When you reach the point where ur just tired of pouring money into instant and temporary gratification you realize how those that want to be conservative are largly disinfranchised. Try as you might and as hard as one can, but you will never reach equilibrium due to excessive build and repair times. Ask ur self "isnt it bad enough that i have to keep farming just to get a build together that will never make first grade / pvp or top tier? By the time you produce one fleet to fight off the bully coiners your off and farming for something entirely new...Some new build that just never seems to get where you want it. Even with the adjustments kix implemented to help speed things up the game still requires to much time farming, or gathing resources so one can compete and have fun. Common sense and logic doesnt apply to humans. If it did we would realiize what a waste of time it is when we only have a finite amount of time. This should be a wake up call to us all. Instead, we will just find an excuse to justify the reality that people are experts at wasting time.

• CYOGrille
    CYOGrille
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2019 Posts: 2

Please tell me what you would change if you could change anything?

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 957
    Who are you to say what defines a waste of time? By this same logic, any repetitive gameplay in any game is a waste of time. If something isn't completely new, it's a waste of time. Is farming repetitive? Yep. But it's always for a goal. Achieving that goal after struggling for it for a while is so satisfying. That is one of the things I, and many others, find enjoyable about this game. Building a massive collection of hundreds of ships is also something that many enjoy about this game.

Is it hard competing with the high level coiners who always have all of the best tech and infinite repairs? Yes, of course it is, but that's just life. Kixeye is a company and this is a free game, so they have to make money somehow. But if you aren't forced to compete with them. I suggest just accepting that you can't, and focusing on people you can compete with, or just focus on competing with the game itself and trying to build a collection of everything.
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• Ceres I
    Ceres I
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 61

Daniel, allow me to define a waste of time for you, say you want an elite dreadnought for example; each battle averages 3 min and on average you get 7 pieces, for 1000 pieces you will need to win 143 battles that is 429 minutes or 7.1 hours, now you need to do that 5 times which is 35.5 hours of the most boring grind you've ever done in your life - all for an elite dreadnought. If you spent that time working for $30 an hour you would have $1,065 before tax. The developers intentionally make it a waste of your time to try to force you into spending more money. That is what a waste of time is.

• Ceres I
    Ceres I
    Potential Threat

..and when you consider they sell dreadnoughts for $81 (aud) and 100 fragments for $16 an elite dreadnought costs $881 to purchase outright, it still costs less to by it than to earn it.
    So basically if you earned it you wasted your time.

• Alex Videoman
    Alex Videoman
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2019 Posts: 40

@Daniel Rose said:
    Who are you to say what defines a waste of time? By this same logic, any repetitive gameplay in any game is a waste of time. If something isn't completely new, it's a waste of time. Is farming repetitive? Yep. But it's always for a goal. Achieving that goal after struggling for it for a while is so satisfying. That is one of the things I, and many others, find enjoyable about this game. Building a massive collection of hundreds of ships is also something that many enjoy about this game.

Is it hard competing with the high level coiners who always have all of the best tech and infinite repairs? Yes, of course it is, but that's just life. Kixeye is a company and this is a free game, so they have to make money somehow. But if you aren't forced to compete with them. I suggest just accepting that you can't, and focusing on people you can compete with, or just focus on competing with the game itself and trying to build a collection of everything.

Lol this guy believes acheiving farming is a satisfying goal. Good luck achieving it in 4 weeks with 2 required to built mk1

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    Ceres I said:

Daniel, allow me to define a waste of time for you, say you want an elite dreadnought for example; each battle averages 3 min and on average you get 7 pieces, for 1000 pieces you will need to win 143 battles that is 429 minutes or 7.1 hours, now you need to do that 5 times which is 35.5 hours of the most boring grind you've ever done in your life - all for an elite dreadnought. If you spent that time working for $30 an hour you would have $1,065 before tax. The developers intentionally make it a waste of your time to try to force you into spending more money. That is what a waste of time is.

Sure, but I'd much rather be playing Vega Conflict while watching YouTube and only half paying attention while farming than going out somewhere and working somewhere. And while the grind is long and can be tedious, the reward is what you are doing it for. A reward that not everyone will have because of the grind. If they just gave you everything right away, what would there be to work for? What would be there to bring you back?

@Daniel Rose said:

Lol this guy believes acheiving farming is a satisfying goal. Good luck achieving it in 4 weeks with 2 required to built mk1

I wouldn't say achieving it is the right word, but I think that getting the result of hours of farming is satisfying. Just like beating a boss after hours of trying is satisfying. If you killed it instantly in one hit, where's the satisfaction? The triumph? The "hey, I did something that was difficult?"? Yes, farming might not always be difficult, but if it isn't, it is an endurance challenge. I'm not saying some farming isn't tedious and it doesn't get boring, but that's why there is so much variation in targets and strategies.

I'm not sure what you are saying in that last sentence, but you don't have to get everything done on a specific time frame. No one is forcing you to get everything released as soon as it is released to max mark with all the best fitting. You can play at whatever pace you want. If you want to be at the top, and get everything right away, then you are going to have to put some time in or put some money in. If you didn't have to, again, there would be nothing to work for, no satisfaction, and no game.
    Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, do not make the mistake of attacking me personally instead of my arguments. By the same token, do
    not take anything I reply as an attack on you personally. I bear no ill will towards anyone.

• Ceres I
    Ceres I
    Potential Threat

@CYOGrille said:
    Please tell me what you would change if you could change anything?

The irony of your comment is delicious.

Thank you for your response Daniel and thank you for employing a level of maturity not often seen here. You raise a valid point, being that one mans trash may be another mans treasure.

• Daniel Rose
    Daniel Rose
    Strike-force Captain
    I would say that if the amount of farming is getting too much for you and the game isn't feeling enjoyable, take a break from it. That's what I ended up doing for the most part, although part of that was for irl reasons as well. Then if you find yourself missing the game and wanting to play it again, start it up again and hopefully the break will have given you the time you needed to be able to get back into things. If you don't really miss it, then maybe it's not the right type of game for you, or you've just played it too exhaustion. If that's the case, I would say check in every now and then and see if something new peaks your interest, but if not, play some other games instead. There's nothing wrong with that. No game can appeal to everyone.

• Alex Videoman
    Alex Videoman
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2019 Posts: 40

@Daniel Rose said:
    I would say that if the amount of farming is getting too much for you and the game isn't feeling enjoyable, take a break from it. That's what I ended up doing for the most part, although part of that was for irl reasons as well. Then if you find yourself missing the game and wanting to play it again, start it up again and hopefully the break will have given you the time you needed to be able to get back into things. If you don't really miss it, then maybe it's not the right type of game for you, or you've just played it too exhaustion. If that's the case, I would say check in every now and then and see if something new peaks your interest, but if not, play some other games instead. There's nothing wrong with that. No game can appeal to everyone.

I took breaks alot too especially when iron star and demon crop came out. However that only hurts you and makes getting the tech 10 times harder :(