Assault Cycle Strategy Guide

WrongThinker
WrongThinker
BP Game Team
Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,712
edited 10 Apr 2019, 11:11PM

Captains,

With the upcoming Assault Cycle, you’ll find new, exciting gameplay that rewards all the strategic and tactical skills you’ve developed over the years. Read on to learn how this upcoming Assault Season will be one of the most fun seasons in years!

Arm yourself with knowledge, Captains… it’s half the battle.

ASSAULT TARGETS: OVERVIEW

Hull

Strengths

Weaknesses

Daggertooth

Cheap to Produce

Low Health
Low Damage

Stonefish

Durable

Slow-Moving, Can Be Rushed Down

Ghostcrawler

Highly Durable
High Firepower

Anti-Missile CMs

Viperfish

Can See Into Fog Banks
Fast
Evasive

Low Health
Low Damage

Building

Strengths

Weaknesses

Scourge Scatter Turret

High Damage

Short Range

Scourge Missile Turret

Well-Rounded
Long-Range

Anti-Missile CMs

Support Building

Details

Penetrative Field Substation

Grants Ghostcrawlers extremely high Penetrative Defense.

Environment

Details

Fog Banks

Used to provide cover from most enemy Hulls and Structures.

ASSAULT TARGETS: ADVANCED RECON

Daggertooth (Enemy Hull - Easy Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Corrosive, Penetrative

The Daggertooth is a puny and outdated Hull, produced primarily because their manufacturing cost is cheap.  This Sub can fire while submerged, but will surface when approached.

Stonefish (Enemy Hull - Moderate Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Penetrative

The Stonefish isn’t a massive threat, but is definitely more durable than the Daggertooth.  Their damage adds up over time, so don’t ignore them if they get in range.  This Sub can fire while submerged, but will surface when approached.

Ghostcrawler (Enemy Hull - Hard Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Corrosive, Penetrative

The Ghost Crawler has moderately high Corrosive Defenses and a moderate amount of firepower.  Further, to make up for its lack of Penetrative Defense, it is often provided insanely high Penetrative Defense by nearby Penetrative Field Substations.  Fortunately, all of this durability and firepower come at the price of speed.

The highly-durable Saturn can go toe-to-toe with the Ghostcrawler pretty well, but the Nemesis X will not be so lucky.  If you’re piloting the Nemesis X, it is recommended you focus on taking out a Penetrative Field Substation (see below) before engaging the Ghostcrawler, which will make it highly susceptible to the Nemesis X’s high Penetrative damage.

Viperfish (Enemy Hull - Easy Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Corrosive

The Viperfish is a fast and annoying scout ship that is not a particularly significant threat on its own, but is equipped with Radar capable of seeing your Hulls, even in Fog Banks.  These guys will follow you anywhere!  This Sub can fire while submerged, but will surface when approached.

Scatter Turret (Enemy Building - Low Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Corrosive

The Scatter Turret is extremely powerful, but, like a shotgun, its effectiveness falls off quickly.  Taking the Scatter Turret out safely is simply a matter of not blundering into it.

Missile Turret (Enemy Building - Moderate Difficulty)

Primary Damage Type(s): Penetrative

The Missile Turret is not as powerful as the Scatter, but has a distinctly longer range.  Be wary of getting caught in the crossfire of multiple Missile Turrets or they will chip away at you.

Penetrative Field Substation (Enemy Support Building)

The Penetrative Field Substation makes the Ghostcrawler nearly immune to Penetrative Damage.  Destroying one of these will take out the Substation power network and drop the Ghostcrawler's shield!  Destroying all Substations ensure the Shield will stay off, even on future hits.  Captains using the Nemesis X take note!

Note that destroying these may attract unwanted attention…

Fog Banks (Environment)

Assault Targets now include Fog Banks.  Anything outside a Fog Bank can not target anything inside the Fog Bank, even when what is inside the Fog Bank is shooting them!  If you retreat into a Fog Bank, enemies chasing you are likely to not want to incur the damage of being shot by you without being able to return fire and will likely retreat.  Leverage Fog Banks to avoid being detected, lay traps, or escape pursuing enemies.

ALLIED HULLS

We’re revamping our approach to the way we design Hulls in Battle Pirates.  The Saturn is our Strategic Hull, which leans more on customization skills to minimize repairs.  The Nemesis X is our Tactics Hull, which leans more on expert-piloting to minimize repairs.  Of course, you will always be able to customize and pilot both Hulls, but they each have a different area of focus depending on where you want to focus your Battle Pirates time.

Note that Hull Upgrades for the Saturn and Nemesis X are going to be released in April’s Raid, but are outlined here to help you decide which Hull you want to acquire during the Hull Store.

Saturn

The Saturn is a bruiser.  This Hull is much slower than the Nemesis X, but also much tougher.  It favors Corrosive-based Scatterguns and is extremely auto-friendly, being able to take the Ghostcrawler in a head-to-head battle.

At Upgrade Level 2 it gains access to a CIC slot and both the Dione CIC and Tethys CICs.  These CICs are free to all players who unlock Upgrade Level 2 and free to Refit on to your Hulls.  If you want to maximize your success with the Saturn, you must carefully consider which CICs you equip to your Saturns for each encounter.

• Upgrade Level 1: Bonus Combat Speed Aura for all Saturns

• Upgrade Level 2: Unlocks Saturn CIC Slot and both Saturn CICs

• Dione CIC: Adds a small amount of Evasion and Penetrative Defense.

• Tethys CIC: Increases Damage to Buildings.

• Upgrade Level 3: Small Bonuses to Corrosive Damage and Corrosive Defense.

Nemesis X

The Nemesis X is a fast-moving Hull, that can kite its enemies much more easily than the Saturn using its Penetrative-based Missiles.  However, it trades out durability for this benefit. Because of its lower defenses, if you want to maximize your success with the Nemesis X, you’ll have to think on your feet and strike when the opportunity is right.

At Upgrade Level 2, the Nemesis X gains its signature Nemesis Mine Layer built-in weapon, allowing the Nemesis X to lay devastating traps for approaching enemy Hulls.

• Upgrade Level 1: Bonus Combat Speed Aura for all Nemesis Xs.

• Upgrade Level 2: Unlocks the Nemesis Mine Layer built-in Weapon.

• Upgrade Level 3: Bonus Penetrative Damage

We really hope you enjoy the upcoming season, Captains, and look forward to your thoughts and feedback!

-WT
Game Design Ninja
KIXEYE
  • WrongThinker
    WrongThinker
    BP Game Team
    Nice guide WT... can i ask what damage are the specific ships dealing out to our saturn/nemX?

this would help us greatly in our quest to fit the puzzle as you prescribe in your overall big picture.

ie: a nemX player might want to fit to his/her advantage armors to assist nemX against enemy fast ships chasing it. and a Saturn player may want to fit accorddingly since he/she plan to ram the ship in on auto mode etc

Very good question.  I'll try to add some more detail to the post tomorrow.

It is worth noting that there is a (very) good chance you'll have the Battle Reports feature for the April Raid, which will also give you a very, very good picture of exactly what damage you'll taking (though I'm aware you'll be starting your builds before you actually get your hands on the targets).
    Game Design Ninja
    KIXEYE
  • kennethtancy
    kennethtancy
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 253
    Nice guide WT... can i ask what damage are the specific ships dealing out to our saturn/nemX?

this would help us greatly in our quest to fit the puzzle as you prescribe in your overall big picture.

ie: a nemX player might want to fit to his/her advantage armors to assist nemX against enemy fast ships chasing it. and a Saturn player may want to fit accorddingly since he/she plan to ram the ship in on auto mode etc

It is worth noting that there is a (very) good chance you'll have the Battle Reports feature for the April Raid, which will also give you a very, very good picture of exactly what damage you'll taking (though I'm aware you'll be starting your builds before you actually get your hands on the targets).
    Thanks in advance
  • The Qing
    The Qing
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 2,420

you say that the nemesis has a lower health pool, but according to the briefing both ships have 100k health each, and the saturn only has a evade boost over the nemesis.

Playing this game is like trying to row a boat up a waterfall.
  • BattlePirate_BlackShark
    BattlePirate_BlackShark
    Master Tactician
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 2,257
    edited 13 Mar 2019, 3:43AM
    There are some sort of similarities with the Cannoneers and Ironclads.
    Nemesis X = fast but fragile (like Cannoneers)...skillhulls
    Saturn = slow tanks (like Ironclads)...autohulls
    BlackShark        Born in Sector 429

Decoding Pirateslangword "F.A.R.M." = Foolish Amateur Reaches Midgame
  • maddad
    maddad
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 610
    hmm SKIRMISH ships an an ASSAULT target? 

someone needs to do their homework better me thinks
    saturn hull has just 64 sonar built in,NO thermal
    nem x has NO sonar aND no THERMAL BUILT IN
    so there goes a special slot

upgrades=downfall of battle pirates
  • SoggyMango
    SoggyMango
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 222
    1 (Surface ships) + 2 (Scourge subs) = Bad pay day for Kixeye. Remember the first time round or was the pain so bad the memory is buried deep.
    Scourge targets? Oh my, lag escalation, probability high.
    You are entitled to your opinion just not entitled to give it
  • Berotans
    Berotans
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 64
    maddad said:

Who knows? maybe they all act like surface ship, or we will have some special in FM or TLC
    But it will be nice if WT clear things up for sure. 
  • Punkersmurf
    Punkersmurf
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 342
    The Qing said:

you say that the nemesis has a lower health pool, but according to the briefing both ships have 100k health each, and the saturn only has a evade boost over the nemesis.

This is a good point....are there hidden kix maths in play here that make the Nemesis weaker than what we can see????
  • Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 896
    all i can say is i cant wait for the video of kix showing us how its great that you can kill a target with 3 fleets all at r16  like last time they tried this scenario 
    Theyve already said they wont be doing videos
  • KRAKnDoc
    KRAKnDoc
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 104
    all i can say is i cant wait for the video of kix showing us how its great that you can kill a target with 3 fleets all at r16  like last time they tried this scenario 
    no videos will be forthcoming according to kix
    Image may contain: text
  • ScattergunScott
    ScattergunScott
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2017 Posts: 1,602

Nice that the CUCs are free with the Upgrade.

• maddad
    maddad
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 610
    WrongThinker
    If we are facing subs in new assault series, why is there no thermal or sonar on nemi x?
    and only sonar on saturn?
    do we have to account for this in our builds?
    Is or will their be a special coming out to help with this?
    regards a bp player

upgrades=downfall of battle pirates
  • jefe
    jefe
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 658
    edited 13 Mar 2019, 6:40PM
    Do the enemy subs need to surface in order to fire?  As neither ship as thermal and the Saturn only has limited sonar.  Additionally,  the weapon for the Saturn doesn't show submerged damage.

• WrongThinker
    WrongThinker
    BP Game Team

Thanks in advance
    I have now added enemy damage types and more specific CM requirements to the post (for this season, they're all anti-Missile!
    Game Design Ninja
    KIXEYE
  • WrongThinker
    WrongThinker
    BP Game Team
    Berotans said:
    maddad said:

Who knows? maybe they all act like surface ship, or we will have some special in FM or TLC
    But it will be nice if WT clear things up for sure. 
    Sorry for the slow response.  All Subs can fire while submerged, BUT will surface when approached.  So, you might save some combat time by building detection, but it is unlikely you'll see coin savings.
    Game Design Ninja
    KIXEYE
  • WrongThinker
    WrongThinker
    BP Game Team
    The Qing said:

This is a good point....are there hidden kix maths in play here that make the Nemesis weaker than what we can see????
    I did say lower health pool, but this was an error.  The Saturn is much more durable through defenses, not through health pool.  I have corrected the post.

No hidden math.
    Game Design Ninja
    KIXEYE
  • Stewart Booth
    Stewart Booth
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2016 Posts: 66
    **** the lot , shove up your **** 
This discussion has been closed.