[¢enturion's Guides] Should you fight Hives?

Commander Centurion
Commander Centurion
Force to be Reckoned With
Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 1,742

Welcome to the first of my many guides in my guide series.

First things first, do you have the Venom Battleship? The View Battleship is a necessity to all low-mid level fleet versus everything and even fleet versus fleet if you wish to progress beyond Rancors.

If you have researched the Venom Battleship you should also have either Creeper 1, SICO Missile, or both (optionally event weapons such as Aurora, Manifold, Nova, reusable HEX, Hydra etc.). Trident and Revelation likely are in your horizon at this point of your progress.

SICO 1 and Creeper 1 are mighty against Hives, and are easily obtainable through blueprints considering their ability against squadrons and overall usefulness (for example, SICO's ability to replace Gladius in some areas). These weapons allow your Venoms to take virtually no to little damage from hive squadrons and should always be primary sources of anti squadron.

If you do not have Venom, don't attempt hives. The absolute minimum should be Venoms to do these. Rancors are too small, even with Creepers, leading to lack of shields and armor. Broadswords do not have a sufficient firing arc to defend eachother aside from their poor weapon slots, Nighthawks suffer the same problem with firing arc, and Exodus may work but you definitely won't be able to finish the hives health off in time, ignoring the fact that three Creepers on an Exo leaves little mass left over after a tier 4 or so shield.

Many players learn the hard way starting out with their ambitions to hit Hives. Make sure you are able to work towards the above before the Legacy 40-55 hives are discontinued.

• Tank Commander
    Tank Commander
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 64
    Im Still Testing Rancors i believe i can get them to work i always die right before im in range i think i need to buff my shields Repulsor 2 might do the job since it can recharge after they survive a squadron raid and can handle the damage more efficent for longer.

"its Raining Shells! Your bleeding Blood, R.I.P GG Bud!"
  • Commander Centurion
    Commander Centurion

@Tank Commander said:
    Im Still Testing Rancors i believe i can get them to work i always die right before im in range i think i need to buff my shields Repulsor 2 might do the job since it can recharge after they survive a squadron raid and can handle the damage more efficent for longer.

Indeed they would be able to. But they have to survive the seconds squadron volley as they are the toughest. The best way to remedy that with Creepers, SICO, and other slower weapons is to pause your ships for about 5 seconds while they start arriving ontop of your ships. That allows the weapons to properly fly right over the ships to destroy the swarms.

Do this until you actually reach the the hives range. If you don't, you have a higher chance of swarms to stay on top of your ships.

PS: Don't raise shields before raising armor to at least 10~5% below the total shields amount. This allows the ship to maintain more longevity without dying after too many waves of squadrons. Which is why I say Rancors are still too tiny to take care of Hives- mass comes as an issue when designing Rancor Hive hunters.

• Final Stand
    Final Stand
    Potential Threat
    Joined Oct 2015 Posts: 31

I have used rancors and broadswords to farm lvl 45 and 50 hivs. I say it is completely possible and feasible to do this.

The build is:

Rancor battleship(MK 2) - Diffuser 2, zynthium 2 x 2, Scatter 3, scatter 4, Creeper torpedo 1 x 2

Broadsword (MK 3) - Diffuser 2, zynth 2 OR iridium 4, disrupter 5 x 2, focused optics 3, rear 4.

The strategy:

Use line formation and squeeze in the ships. Target 1 hive (Click  on the hive) and move towards it. Once ur destroyers start shooting at the hive stop moving and once in awhile strafe back as hives CAN move. Rinse and repeat for other hive. Do not get into range of alien gats -  they WILL shred u.

• Commander Centurion
    Commander Centurion

@Final Stand said:
    I have used rancors and broadswords to farm lvl 45 and 50 hivs. I say it is completely possible and feasible to do this.

The build is:

Rancor battleship(MK 2) - Diffuser 2, zynthium 2 x 2, Scatter 3, scatter 4, Creeper torpedo 1 x 2

Broadsword (MK 3) - Diffuser 2, zynth 2 OR iridium 4, disrupter 5 x 2, focused optics 3, rear 4.

The strategy:

Use line formation and squeeze in the ships. Target 1 hive (Click  on the hive) and move towards it. Once ur destroyers start shooting at the hive stop moving and once in awhile strafe back as hives CAN move. Rinse and repeat for other hive. Do not get into range of alien gats -  they WILL shred u.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, it is possible. It is on the 40-50, and maybe was possible for 55, but since the hives have been introduced, the health has been buffed drastically for the 55s, making them only doable by more low- mid level technology.

On another note, I don't think regular Scatter has enough stopping power against the swarms to be doing alot to stopping the second or third waves of swarms from entering your firing arc and cause trouble. That's the only problem I see with the smaller ships (not being able to take as much of a hit) as well as not being able to finish them on time​. This isn't mentioning the fact that it is very inefficient now to farm like this, considering the fact that they keep lowering hive payouts...

• Tank Commander
    Tank Commander
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 64
    Oh I See Rancors protect the Broadswords and the broadswords snipe the hives.. Genius and pretty start forward i will try this technique once i build more Broadswords nice share Final Stand!
    "its Raining Shells! Your bleeding Blood, R.I.P GG Bud!"