Poor mans event fleet in the Era of Alien threats

mason.dixen
mason.dixen
Master Tactician
Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 2,156
So there is a lot of players who are having a difficult time with smashing high level alien fleets.  It sucks trust me.

My advise to those players who are unable to coin the builds/refits is one simple fleet.  The Punisher.

I know many of you lack the punisher, and I will cover that fleet as well.

The best option is a punisher sporting maximum Xeno armor with minimum shields.  Meta III is a 45m repair job that only provides 2880 points of damage protection.  While the Xeno armor automatically gets a 40% damage resistance to Alien damage.  Making the talonite II armor (which has a similar build time) 2169 armor with a 19 minute repair time.  (that is 3036 points of health).  Shields do not provide protection and are a waste of repair time.  Stop using them as the primary means of defense.

In terms of weapons, you need DPS and accuracy.  My primary suggestions are the Xeno Cannons, Nova and Aurora energy based weapons.  Alternatively you could use Hydra missles.  The key importance is you need a weapon that is accurate and brings the pain. 

The last thing I want to mention is damage resistances, be sure to balance the damage resistance out and avoid costly refits just because the weapon type kixeye roles out on the new alien fleets is Driver, Energy or Explosive.  You need to fight a enemy you do not know.  That enemy will not fight like the last one you faced. 

For those of you who lack the Punisher Hull I strongly recommend you use Vigilante Battleships with Skirmisher armor and Projectile resistances.  Your best weapons again will be aurora and nova as they are high DPS weapons that have excellent weight.  The hulls have a high amount of shields and armor to tank level 78 and 80 reaper fleets with 4 to 6 hours of repair.  giving you time to repair and examine other strategies.

Keep in mind that event fleets rapidly loose there point values so I will say keeping the punishers updated are a critical components to the strategy.  Building seven allows you to use a full fleet while one ship is refitted with the most up to date tech. 

And that is how we will survive in the age of Alien threats.  Now phucker up rebels and get ready, we face a new threat in four to five months.
"Forged in the flames of the original 8k wars"
"Participant in the Jova Crusades; the winning side"
"I hate cargo fleets.  What else do you want me to say"
"I attacked you because you stole my piece of cheesecake with cherry toppings."
"The government has ordered me to harvest this farm.  Please be patient as your base is harvested."
IGN: MasonD
~Condolences to all who share a similar name - there can only be one.
  • ChalkSix
    ChalkSix
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 279
    I disagree with you on the shields point.

Shields are still better than no shields in terms of damage taken and (therefore rep time) as long as you do not lose the ship.  Any shield is equivalent to 90% resistance vs all damage types (including alien) as long as it still has energy left because only 10% of the incoming damage bleeds through to the armor. 

Yes shields have high rep-time per mass, but my understanding is that you only have to pay that rep time if the ship is completely destroyed.  And shields recharge completely between battles whereas armor does not.
  • Commander Centurion
    Commander Centurion
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 1,742
    edited 28 Mar 2017, 8:26AM

@ChalkSix said:
    I disagree with you on the shields point.

Shields are still better than no shields in terms of damage taken and (therefore rep time) as long as you do not lose the ship.  Any shield is equivalent to 90% resistance vs all damage types (including alien) as long as it still has energy left because only 10% of the incoming damage bleeds through to the armor. 

Yes shields have high rep-time per mass, but my understanding is that you only have to pay that rep time if the ship is completely destroyed.  And shields recharge completely between battles whereas armor does not.

I don't understand why people go with no shields to begin with. It's not like they're actually saving any longevity OR repair time, aside maybe from the fact that if you have high amounts of armor resistances, you would want to save that mass for more resistances or armor resistances instead of shields which actually don't benefit from having resistances equipped, no?

I see both sides argument as to why shields are useless/still good, but since nobody bothers to come up with the circumstances to back their claims along with numbers, I'll still be putting Metaphase shields on my Punishers I guess

• mason.dixen
    mason.dixen
    Master Tactician
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 2,156

The circumstances are FvE and we all know the alien weapons on AI fleets have a bleed thru effect. The repair time is health/armor damage = repair time.

The fact that the ship is alive matters not. As repair time is base on % of armor damage vs. total repair time. You eat the costs of meta III shields whether the ship is alive or dead.

You don't get the benefit of damage resistance, only price barrier for 5k of shields that don't block 90%. It blocks what kixeye says for the event.

I never said no shields. Only that armor should be priority as that has resistance. 40 mins vs. 90 mins of repair time. However you eat the cost. It is your choice.

"Forged in the flames of the original 8k wars"
    "Participant in the Jova Crusades; the winning side"
    "I hate cargo fleets.  What else do you want me to say"
    "I attacked you because you stole my piece of cheesecake with cherry toppings."
    "The government has ordered me to harvest this farm.  Please be patient as your base is harvested."
    IGN: MasonD
    ~Condolences to all who share a similar name - there can only be one.
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,332
    Exal armor is just 10% heavier than meta3 in terms of hp to mass ratio.
    Exal armor repairs 2.85 hp for 1 second, metaphase shield repairs 1 hp for 1 second.
    And we're talking about suffering alien damage in battles, exal armor has 64% (mk1 punisher) alien damage resistance, so the repair efficiency can by multiplied by this amount 2.84*1.64=4.67 HP repaired per second.
    Exal2 (or any other future armor of such type) armor is 4.67 times better than any metaphase shield when fighting enemies dealing alien damage.
  • ChalkSix
    ChalkSix
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2015 Posts: 279
    I had forgotten about the shield bypass in alien weapons.  Would be interesting to see a test - fleet of mk 1 punishers in auto mode vs a harvestor or barrage hive,  compare to see if shields or resistance armor gives lower rep time.
  • Sequestor
    Sequestor
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 1,332
    You can see the total repair time on your ship. And if you want a test, go attack a coop alien hives fleet with a single ship and let it suffer a couple alien beams, then get away and do the same with another ship.