Rookie Question: Shield Effectiveness

StuffyEvil
StuffyEvil
Potential Threat
Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 45
How effective are the different types of shields? How effective are Shockwave Shields and Deflector Shields?

• SteelSteve
    SteelSteve
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 1,684
    its a big topic

90% of energy damage hitting an energy shield will be stopped - and 10% will leak through

Ex. 100 energy damage -> 90 damage to the energy shields and 10 to the health "armor"

shields take 50% more damage if the types are not matched - energy hitting projectile shields for example

Ex. 100 energy damage -> 180 damage to the energy shields and 10 to the health

metaphase shields currently have 90% protection against everything, which is why you should be using those all the time

that is basically how they work, I may be wrong on one subject but it is of little importance
    I NEED ZYNTHIUM!!!    UID 5439584
  • Cyrus Leung
    Cyrus Leung
    VC Mod
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 3,649
    edited 6 Oct 2016, 9:29AM
    its a big topic

90% of energy damage hitting an energy shield will be stopped - and 10% will leak through

Ex. 100 energy damage -> 90 damage to the energy shields and 10 to the health "armor"

shields take 50% more damage if the types are not matched - energy hitting projectile shields for example

Ex. 100 energy damage -> 180 damage to the energy shields and 10 to the health

metaphase shields currently have 90% protection against everything, which is why you should be using those all the time

that is basically how they work, I may be wrong on one subject but it is of little importance
    The second part is wrong.

Shields take normal damage against the damage types it doesn't resist. Against the resisted type, the shield takes 50% of normal damage.

For example, if a projectile deals 100 damage to an energy shield, the shield takes 90 damage while the armour takes 10 damage.
    If an energy weapon deals 100 damage to the same energy shield, the shield takes 45 damage while the armour takes 10 damage.
  • PhantomRanger
    PhantomRanger
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2015 Posts: 271
    So shields deplete faster if (ex) a projectile shield is hit by anything other than projectile weapons?
  • Commander Centurion
    Commander Centurion
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 1,742

@PhantomRanger said:
    So shields deplete faster if (ex) a projectile shield is hit by anything other than projectile weapons?

Yes

And Recharge shields: might not be good for brawling, but they are EXTREMELY effective for if you know you're going to get hit by heavy shots, but not very much in succession, so you have it on to have more longevity in those situations

• ChandraArgentis
    ChandraArgentis
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2015 Posts: 1,120
    Here is an official answer on the subject:

CM LXC said:
    xX-Bull-Xx said:

"All is multiplicative"

Ion does not affect how much is going to hull but to shield, phased damage is based on what is going to shields.

Damage to Armor = Phased x Shield damage
    Damage to armor = 50% (0.5) x 200% (Aurora + Ion Mod {1.6 x 1.25 = 2}) = 100% of the damage to armor

Since regular shields take 90% of the dealt damage 100% of this will go to armor (i.e. 90% of original damage).
    These 90% plus the 10% which is going anyways to armor equals 100% of the DPS shown on the weapon (56 DPS in case of Aurora III)

Ion Mod reduces the armor damage by 15% which means 85% then remains with armor.

So - 85% DPS to armor/ 90% DPS to shields after the equation.
    I see what's going on. You are confusing the damage multiplier with the allocation of damage. Part of that was probably my choice of words.

Lets break it down, step by step. I'll use some simple values so the math is obvious (and I don't have to do any complex math on a Friday).

Damage of the shot: 100
    Phased: 15%
    Ion: 10% For simplicitys sake it is +10% shield damage and -10% hull damage.
    Shield has 20% bleedthrough.

Step 1: Split the shield and hull damage.
    Shield damage = 100 x 0.80 x 0.75 = 60
    Hull Damage = 100 - 60 = 40

Step 2: Apply the Ion.
    Ionised Hull damage: 40 x 0.9 = 36
    Ionised Shield damage: 60 x 1.1 = 66

Ion has no affect on how much of the raw damage is being allocated to the shield or the hull. It is a direct modifier of those values.
    Max Rawness said:
    I'm not sure why my math in there is a problem to you, but the credits go to Cyrus Leung. He explained everything very well. True, there is no official confirmation (other than LXC being part of the thread without telling our math sucks). Still it's no reason to just skip the whole thread.

The answer you're looking for is in there. Read it and you'll understand what you're doing wrong. If you doubt Cyrus is right about it, then why not just ask @CM LXC to take a look at it? To me that would make more sense than trying to convince a CM of your own wrong math..

Cyrus is right on everything that I can see in that thread. I was there more to make sure it didn't descend into arguing than to check everyones maths.