Midgard Piloting and other strategies

cinncinatus
cinncinatus
Greenhorn
Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 19
A lot of us lowbie and middle players are only going to be able to see and use the Midgard for the foreseeable future.  Youtube also really only shows high tech and/or pre-rebalance midgard fleets.  Everyone does say that the Midgard utility field has a use.  So I'd like to ask you generous folks to share your piloting/farming/fvf videos, commentary, and strategies for the midgard.

What can this thing really do?  At what tech levels? Some of the older vids have the Midgard fighting all the way thru VSEC 50-55 with little to no damage.

This will help educate us and raise the bar concerning competition once we rise up.  I would really appreciate all the input (and I know others would too).
  • Brad Schwacher
    Brad Schwacher
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 203

Get a Fury with rear 4 if you don't have fusion 3 the Midgard support makes it act very similar to a fusion 3. That is if you don't have any other battle ship.

• Weaselos
    Weaselos
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2016 Posts: 110

Not sure if I'm 100% right but the midguard is simply put a ragnarok with smaller field and 2 squadron slots less. So use it in the same way as a ragnarok, while staying in the field should be a bit harder. The ragnarok can solo kill a few ships (if they are not effective at shooting squadrons), while the midguards lacks dps for it with only 2 squadrons. You can kill other carriers with the ragnarok, while killing the squadrons on your carrier(tank). With the midguard you need to enter the enemy carrier field with all ships at the same time to spread the squadron damage as opposed to tanking the squadrons with only your carrier. You can ofc also enter the enemy carrier field with a ragnarok and ships at the same time if you know you will kill the carrier fast enough, this should result in the least amount of repair time.

With the midguard you will need to work harder.

• Frankv
    Frankv
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Aug 2014 Posts: 808
    you will need the midgard with rear 4 cruisers or battleships like venoms

startegy involves runnin away with the midgard, while kiting the enemy vega comming towards you, almost never use the midgard to shoot, but do put on some lvl 2 or even 3 basic squadrons for when they come too close.

revs should be made with hydra or thermal/optics and rear 4 (or fusion lvl 3, is better)

battleships in the early game are good with gladius/ polaron with optics 4/5 / or hydras. also equip rear 4 if you do not posses fusion lvl 3.

make a similar fleets and go grind those vega for BP and gain some power for events.

good luck out there
  • TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,389
    Fusion III + Midgard is pretty much the poor man's Ragnarok. Combine midgard with Venoms using stasis weapons if you have and any long range guns that can reliably hit the enemy ships. 
  • WarDaddy12
    WarDaddy12
    Greenhorn
    Joined Aug 2016 Posts: 19
    I use the pentagon formation and put my Midgard in the middle. I have two battleships in the front/middle 2 ship slots, a frigate or destroyer with squadron-killing weapons in the way front, and cruisers in the rear/middle 2 ship slots to really have a balanced fleet. the frigate/destroyer can help take out incoming enemy squadrons and also help out your main battling ships once the carrier threat is over. the battleships and cruisers provide fire support against squadrons if they reach the carrier and are your main ship killers. The carrier then basically hides behind the front ship and kinda runs around the enemy perimeter and launches squadrons, then runs away.
  • Aaron Lehmer
    Aaron Lehmer
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 80
    You can do a surprising amount with just Venom/Midgard.  With insta-Venoms (no armor, no shields, 6 min repair) I can do 55 Elites, 50 Scouts, 53 Vsec, and if I am willing to follow up with a second fleet to take out the Ragnarok, 65 Hunters. Mix Volatile Fuel 1 with Net and Vector or Creepers, and a couple Echo Venoms.
  • Brent Burton
    Brent Burton
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2016 Posts: 40

The only use of the midgard is it support filled the damage is a joke and it's scramble range and it weighs the same as the Ragnarok but has Les Max Mass I would recommend Fusion 3 whatever squadrons at level one just to draw some fire while leaving the rest of your Fleet Mass for the rest of your ships

• Aaron Lehmer
    Aaron Lehmer
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 80
    edited 6 Oct 2016, 11:24PM

Yeah, don't count on it for any damage whatsoever, but the agility field is priceless.

• kixeyeuser_145718470_31056_7362843
    kixeyeuser_145718470_31056_7362843
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jul 2016 Posts: 2

i have squads equipped to mid 2x bomber one and aurora venoms and aurora zeals using the iron bloackade mid is innthe back zeals in the middle row and venoms up in the ten seconds before started up i group zeals move them between venoms while sending mid gard back when the zeals are in between venom using numbers it should be position 1 4253 then i spin them around depends on what i hit but some ships like cutters crusiers and frigates are hit before you finish turning then you finish turning and your basically chaaing your carrier and keep everything moving you drift you battleships from one side to the other hitting the closest ship to you fleet i have taken 40 vega raiders with no damage using this very tactic

• Tank Commander
    Tank Commander
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 64
    I personally wouldn't use for its lack of mobile firepower but can be a crucial stepping stone if you are a middle class player and just unlocked the blueprint, its easy to build and you only need to unlock venom, but my opinion is only use it as a stepping stone, train your carrier skills on and learn how to use the carrier effective. after you can get something better, i would leave them in small farming fleets.
    "its Raining Shells! Your bleeding Blood, R.I.P GG Bud!"
  • xcvxvx
    xcvxvx
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2014 Posts: 1,111

I use the pentagon formation and put my Midgard in the middle. I have two battleships in the front/middle 2 ship slots, a frigate or destroyer with squadron-killing weapons in the way front, and cruisers in the rear/middle 2 ship slots to really have a balanced fleet. the frigate/destroyer can help take out incoming enemy squadrons and also help out your main battling ships once the carrier threat is over. the battleships and cruisers provide fire support against squadrons if they reach the carrier and are your main ship killers. The carrier then basically hides behind the front ship and kinda runs around the enemy perimeter and launches squadrons, then runs away.

What loadout for your battleships?
  • RamWhite
    RamWhite
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Dec 2016 Posts: 351

Middy is somehow powerful due to its support ability, it doesn't fight with its squadrons, it fights with the agility field. For example, When it comes to rushing barrage hives, it will be just as powerful as a dominion.

VEGA security: active.