New Feature Briefing - The Foundry

CM DOOMROOSTER
CM DOOMROOSTER
KIXEYE Community Manager
Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 4,939
edited 31 May 2016, 9:19PM

Greetings Captains!

With next week's deploy, we will be rolling out a new system called the Foundry. This system will allow players to catch up on select hulls they may have missed and improve hulls they currently own through a crafting process. 

We are finishing up the fine polish on this feature at this time but it is scheduled to go out in the next release on Thursday. 

Let's take a look. 

The Foundry

The new Foundry system is a way for players to earn hulls and hull upgrades by gathering fragments and crafting hulls.

You can access the Foundry by clicking the button on the action bar right-hand corner of the HUD.

From here, you can see which hulls are available for crafting in the Foundry. Each hull type is segmented into different categories and different tech tiers within those categories. Currently, the two types of hull available are Siege and Skirmish, but more categories will be added over time. These classification of hull types will be present in all hulls in the game to help players identify which hulls are useful for which tasks and targets in the game.

These categories will be useful in determining which type of hull is useful for which type of target. Currently, the hull types we are creating fall into the following categories:

• Skirmish - Good vs Armadas and other Fleet v Fleet combat

• Assault - Good vs. Mixed targets, but with Assault Deflection over Siege Deflection

• Siege - Good vs. Drac bases & Mining Bases

• Garrison - Good vs. PVE Guarded bases (but with Siege Deflection over Assault Deflection

• Conqueror - PvP class hulls

• Defender - Base Defense Hulls (Behemoths, etc.)

Opening the Foundry, you will see which hulls are available. Here is an example from a low-level player who has just started the game:

This window shows which hulls are available to craft.

A NOTE ON TECH TIERS

You’ll notice that hulls are tiered by tech level. In this example above, the tiered tech improves with each hull. The Dreadnought is a good “starter” hull, so it is considered Tier 1. Next, the Vindicator and Crusader are considered tiers 2 & 3, respectively. These are excellent for catching up on possibly missed tech from previous events and server as a middle ground between the starter and the modern tech. Tier 4 is the Centurion and is the most recent tech available. More tiers will be introduced over time as more content is added to the game.

How to use the Foundry

Clicking the icon to Unlock the hull will open a crafting window that indicates which parts are needed to craft this blueprint.

Clicking the “Details” button will show the blueprint’s stat block.

There are different parts that need to be collected to craft this item.

• Tier Fragments

• Hull Fragments

• Component Blueprints

Fragments can be earned from defeating specific World Map targets.  Component blueprints may be earned in the Forsaken Missions, events, campaigns, etc.

You can use the “Go To Map” button and the “Find Target” button to locate the correct targets to collect Fragments.

New feature: Clicking on a target that can possibly reward Fragments will now show an Intelligence Report to indicate details about the target as well as possible rewards.

Once a part has been collected, it will be indicated via check mark.

Once all parts have been collected, you will be able to craft this hull.

If you already own the hull blueprint and/or associated components, then the next available tier will be unlocked for crafting. You may also retrofit these hulls using the Foundry.

Retrofitting

We have split the process of retrofitting between components (specials, weapons, and armor) and hulls. The Retrofit Lab will still be the place to upgrade components but now you may use the Foundry to retrofit hulls.

It is important to note that all older hulls in the Foundry, once crafted, will begin play at their maximum retrofit level! From this point, all additional retrofits made in the Foundry will build upon these base stats. Hulls that have not had a retrofit level prior to this system may be retrofitted via the Foundry.

Each set of hulls in a category receive the same retrofit bonuses.

----------------------------

What do you think? Leave your (constructive) comments below!

Stay frosty, Captains!

If you have technical questions, please submit a ticket here.

Having trouble submitting a ticket? Try this link.

Not sure about the rules

I cannot discuss your account ban. Don't ask.
  • Teddycuddlez
    Teddycuddlez
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 5,076
    Quick few questions, sorry if they're in there and I missed it. 

Is there a droprate on the fragments as with blueprints that are currently in Salvages? If so will a Lucky Bastards crew guarantee a 100% droprate?

If someone has a hull from a higher tier of a class, will the hulls from the lower tiers be automatically awarded? 

Overall I really like the idea of this, can't wait for it to roll out.
  • Penndragon4
    Penndragon4
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 402
    If you have the hull already and have it retrofitted but not max retrofit, what happens when you open it in the foundry? Does it require the retrofits done before you can do the new upgrades? or does it get the retrofits for being in the foundry?

If it doesn't get the retrofits added then its a disadvantage to already have the hull than to craft it in the foundry.
    Level 82

I won some stuff, built less ;-P
  • black dest
    black dest
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 198
    That is a nice improvement over the actual Retrofit system!

About this quote:

It is important to note that all older hulls in the Foundry, once crafted, will begin play at their maximum retrofit level! From this point, all additional retrofits made in the Foundry will build upon these base stats. Hulls that have not had a retrofit level prior to this system may be retrofitted via the Foundry.

What will happen to hulls which have been partially retrofitted? They will have added bonuses?
  • Rockstar2k15
    Rockstar2k15
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 815
    Will specials be added into the Foundry? Asking because it's suppose to be a catch up feature.
  • Teddycuddlez
    Teddycuddlez
    Unicorn Overlord
    DPR said:
    While it sound's good is this not just creating more 'chores' something we collectively dislike 
    It's not adding more chores, it's basically injecting fresh prints into the current blueprint system, which I don't think has actually anything new added since it was first released. It's something we can do to advance our progress, not something we have to do, and it's not time-limited either, we can do it whenever we want. Don't forget that we can choose the class we go for either, I'll probably only bother with the Garrison class, although I like collecting things so might get the others.
  • AbashedLemming
    AbashedLemming
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,386
    I like this idea but am a little concened about the component requirement. In you example you need siege battery 1 to be able to craft craft the hull. In my case I have siege batter 1 and 3 but not 2. Will I be blocked from crafting a hull that required seige battery 3 if the one before it required siege battery 2?

Other than that I look forward to this feature sounds like it has good potential.
  • evillep321
    evillep321
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 194
    looks like good add seige defection dps to old hulls what about asult? defection dps added ? sincerely evil-lep
  • TigerAceR
    TigerAceR
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 1,951
    Lol at all the people judging if its crap or not before they even see it in the game in its finished state.
    Former Battle Vortex Arbiter
  • Dread_Wolfe
    Dread_Wolfe
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 21

Siege class:

R+1: Class DPS Boost: +200 Siege DPS

R+2: Class DPS Boost: +200 Siege DPS to +400 Siege DPS

R+3: Class Deflection Boost: 10 Siege Deflection

R+4: Class Deflection Boost:  10 Siege Deflection to 30 Siege Deflection 5% Base Repair Reduction

R+5 DPS boost, 400-800 Siege DPS, 30 Siege Deflect to 50 Siege Deflection, and 10% more off Base Repairs

I thought Deflection was going to be useless against PvE targets but clearly in your example: Siege - Good vs. Drac bases & Mining Bases. I don't understand this ??? why does retrofits on siege targets get deflection when they are clearly not going to be worth a ****? AND ... what is the cost going to be to Retro these hulls above their tier?

• Charlie Pugwash
    Charlie Pugwash
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 2,576
    • Siege - Good vs. Drac bases & Mining Bases

• Garrison - Good vs. PVE Guarded bases (ie, Draconian Uranium bases or event targets).

So are we to take from this that you're changing the uranium bases just as most of us finish fleets to do them?
    That is not going to go down well.
    • "Best of luck, Captains! And may the odds be ever in your favour..."

• Raids Boycotted: Hellstrike, Lightning Carrier, Enforcer, Neptune- and at this rate, the entire upcoming Reaver raid series.

• First played: Shortly After Revenge Raid 2

• TonyLaTiger
    TonyLaTiger
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 333
    oh boy oh boy oh boy, sounds like fun on a bun
  • kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    kixeyeuser_1375810824263_12234_28846940
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2016 Posts: 4,914

I like tthis idea. AND TO SHIBA. Not everybody is gonna have the revenge. because if to catch up you gotta be caught up to catch up.....well....you can see the point.

• CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    edited 15 Apr 2016, 11:43PM
    trojan66 said:
    it sounds like a very cool idea to me. I do have a quick question though, do you need to build the tech in order ie. if you are missing lower tier hulls but really only care about the higher tier hulls are you able to skip the lower ones and go straight to the top tier, or is it like a ladder where you have to have all previous tech before progressing to the higher tech items, also I see as an example you used a component blueprint as a building piece to a hull, is that component traded in for the hull, or is it just an unlocking requirement and the component still remains usable afterwards.
    It's a ladder. You'll need to unlock one tech tier to get to the other. 

Yes, you merely need to OWN the component. It is not consumed. 

Not sure about the rules

• CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    edited 15 Apr 2016, 11:45PM
    Quick few questions, sorry if they're in there and I missed it. 

Is there a droprate on the fragments as with blueprints that are currently in Salvages? If so will a Lucky Bastards crew guarantee a 100% droprate?

If someone has a hull from a higher tier of a class, will the hulls from the lower tiers be automatically awarded? 

Overall I really like the idea of this, can't wait for it to roll out.

Yes, there is a drop rate. Not every target that awards fragments will have fragments. But the Intel Report should help determine which ones have which possible fragments. 

No, Lucky Bastards will not increase the drop rate chance for fragments. Good question, though. 

No, you will need to unlock the lower tier first. 

Not sure about the rules

• CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager

About this quote:

It is important to note that all older hulls in the Foundry, once crafted, will begin play at their maximum retrofit level! From this point, all additional retrofits made in the Foundry will build upon these base stats. Hulls that have not had a retrofit level prior to this system may be retrofitted via the Foundry.

What will happen to hulls which have been partially retrofitted? They will have added bonuses?
    IIRC, yes. I'll need to double check that. 

Not sure about the rules

• captain_n3mo
    captain_n3mo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 356
    What is the difference between Siege and Garrison targets isn't it like almost the same thing???
  • CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    i think this is a great idea but i also think you need to fix the in game issues first before adding more content to game 
    We are constantly working on improving the state of the game from a technical level. Thanks for your feedback!

Not sure about the rules

Unicorn Overlord

@CM DOOMROOSTER said:
    black dest said:

About this quote:

IIRC, yes. I'll need to double check that. 

oi. what if we do not have the component?! like Siege Batt 1 in the case of the DN?!

• CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    Will specials be added into the Foundry? Asking because it's suppose to be a catch up feature.
    The Foundry is really the place to get/improve hulls. Components will become more available by other means (FMs, Campaigns, etc)

Not sure about the rules

Unicorn Overlord

Awwww. I always wanted the DN. but my Laptop is broken and in the repair shop, so i wont be getting siege batt 1.

• CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    DPR said:
    While it sound's good is this not just creating more 'chores' something we collectively dislike 

And as already asked what will the drop rate on these be ? hopefully they be a lot better than the old salvage blueprints drop rates especially since you will have to be hitting armadas, mining bases etc.

The extra bonuses on older hulls will be good for the non coiners and keeping existing hulls more useable in game.

If by chores you mean doing the things you're already doing, then I guess? We tried to incorporate as much of player's daily routine into the Foundry gathering system so that it's unobtrusive to play. The most obvious tie is with the Sector Threat system. If you hit Salvages, Mining Bases, or Armadas at all for any reason, you'll have a chance to earn fragments. Considering Uranium and Base Parts gathering are intricately tied to player progress, there's no "extra" chores to be done. 

I agree that this is a really nice way for older tech to be in the hands of low-level and starting players, for sure. 

Not sure about the rules

• Teddycuddlez
    Teddycuddlez
    Unicorn Overlord
    Yes, there is a drop rate. Not every target that awards fragments will have fragments. But the Intel Report should help determine which ones have which possible fragments. 

No, Lucky Bastards will not increase the drop rate chance for fragments. Good question, though. 
    Is there any word on what the droprate is? Will it be close to the droprate of the current prints or will it be like the droprate for the Gamma?

Also another question that just sprung to mind, there's a (probably) lack of low level salvages in a lot of sectors, I know you're going to struggle to find anything lower than a 51 salvage in my sector and the surrounding ones at least. So is there going to be any way of getting around this, for example the same fragments that would be in a lower salvage being in a low level armada?
  • captain_n3mo
    captain_n3mo
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 356
    It sounds like a pretty good idea and concept and I am really looking forward to its implementation, also will it cost resources to do the crafting or time or will it be instantaneous once all fragments are collected?
  • CM DOOMROOSTER
    CM DOOMROOSTER
    KIXEYE Community Manager
    looks like good add seige defection dps to old hulls what about asult? defection dps added ? sincerely evil-lep
    Yes! Absolutely. As mentioned in the briefing, there will be differnet tech lines for different types of hulls. The Siege Deflection stats I posted were for the Siege hulls. Skirmisher Hulls will have similar stat boosts for their type, just as other categories will see the same boosts for their hull types that will be beneficial to their purpose. 

Not sure about the rules