Powering Up: Fixing Unit Progression

• Clunge_Fister
    Clunge_Fister
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Dec 2014 Posts: 746

Hi Commanders,  WrongThinker here.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

These changes will go live with this week’s update (exact day and time TBD).

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

See you on the fields of battle, Commanders.  Enjoy.

-WT

will the units weve already promoted automatically have their stats increased to the 50% level and will the new curves be based on the old curves of a specific unit so we can get a clear idea of how quickly we can upgrade and learn from past mistakes/good moves to upgrade most efficiently?
  • Mike06183
    Mike06183
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 298
    edited 9 Nov 2015, 11:39PM
    Does this include the new cyclones? 50% promotion boost

• Bil_H9
    Bil_H9
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 203
    Just a ? wrongthinker...any idea on the Roach problem...my sector out of cans of RAID.This is an issue that needs to be addressed ASAp as players are leaving in droves...Its hard to compete when i took 4+ years and they do in 4+ hours?
  • AA-82
    AA-82
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 14,966
    Mike06183 said:
    Does this include the new cyclones?

Cyclones don't upgrade fast enough?
    It takes about 2 hours to get them from 1-20.
    It takes over 2 days to build the next one.
  • Mike06183
    Mike06183
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 298
    AA-82 said:
    Mike06183 said:
    Does this include the new cyclones?

Cyclones don't upgrade fast enough?
    It takes about 2 hours to get them from 1-20.
    It takes over 2 days to build the next one.
    I mean the 50% boost for promoting
  • Diamondmm
    Diamondmm
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 48
    Talking about bother Jeremiah, I customized him now his ammo is not repairing at all. everytime I go in my base if his platoon is in it take resources from me, please fix this bug.

Also my airfield keeps cancelling what i'm producing everytime I refresh. Please fix this bug as well on the next scheduled maintenance.
  • Carride
    Carride
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 1,636
    50% Health and Bonus...
    KIXEYE ARE YOU TELLING US TO COIN?

Now, get to the main part:  This does not still reflect the true value.
    Think that, why an operator share the same curve with the lead ones. Lead does more damage. In the old curve, there is a tendancy which , when you create a fireteam of level 1, it is easy for them to level up to 20 nearly at the same time.

I need explaination.
    YOU WILL NEVER GET ME!
    What makes you doubt life comes when you feel you will never doubt your life again.
  • MMD-MMD
    MMD-MMD
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 587
    Promotion sound sexy until you see the needed resources for the promotion. I still have months to upgrade my resource storage for the promotion requirement. I need my ****.
  • FOUR_ACES
    FOUR_ACES
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 4,135
    So units we have promoted already will get this boost too, and not just future promoted units, yes?
  • Carride
    Carride
    So units we have promoted already will get this boost too, and not just future promoted units, yes?
    Confirmed.
    YOU WILL NEVER GET ME!
    What makes you doubt life comes when you feel you will never doubt your life again.
  • Carride
    Carride

50% Health and Bonus...
    KIXEYE ARE YOU TELLING US TO COIN?

Now, get to the main part:  This does not still reflect the true value.
    Think that, why an operator share the same curve with the lead ones. Lead does more damage. In the old curve, there is a tendancy which , when you create a fireteam of level 1, it is easy for them to level up to 20 nearly at the same time.

I need explaination.
    To your first question, coining is not required to Promote.  While you are welcome to coin, you can Promote your units with just time and resources.  To your second point, I'm not 100% sure what you mean, so I'll try to guess: under the improved system, Leaders will level-up at more or less the same rate as their Members.  You do gain some VXP for taking damage also, so units in the front of your formation will gain more VXP than units in the back, just because they're protecting their fellow soldiers.
    Noe, I clarify the second part:
    Before the revamp, leads have a longer curve which is in par with its members. Thus, leads tend to max themselves nearly at the same time with their team.
    If you change it, Leads will max (Rank 20) far before the members. I need why.

I think i need to ask the question: Now, promoting lead units require far more resource to promote. I need a reason. 10
    Second thing: It is about the damage dealt. Think about a infiltrator and a Lead Marksman. Both have different functions. Infiltrator gives far less damage than Marksman, why why do they have the same curve?

I do agree that some units' VXP curve is insane (BroJ, yeah, you), some are questionable (Lead Marksman), why they looked like it is more or less about an exponential, which needs to be balanced.
    Now , when it is only about damage dealt/sustained/absorbed, there are problems. Think about infiltrators. their damage is low. It is intended to infiltrate bases. It's use is not to deal damage. Why they share identical VXP Curve to the Marksman?
    Now, different SF serve different purpose. If they share the same identical VXP curve with the same method of calculating, it would be unfair to some units (Infiltrators), and let some units take advantage.

Now, about promotion: Why promotion does not boost what they intended to do so, but only stats. I think that promotion should act like Vet levels, providing buff like the time when Level 10 units are released. It would be better when they can excel their intended use.
    I recommend the following to the promotion:

Operator/Lead Operator: Increase damage. Drastically increase health
    Heavy Operator: Increase range by 10, increase health
    Preservers: Provide immunity to mines. It is a EPU (Explosive Processing Unit)
    BroJ: Flat Armour buff to 300. Also, its own flat armour is 400 (Meet other Preservers)
    Sentinel Hero/Survivors: Health Buff, damage buff
    Infiltrators: reduce reload time. Replace first weapon: second weapon firing when a target is spotted.

SF Vehicles:
    SF Light Vehicles:
    Hellhound: Reload faster
    Jackal: Drastically increase damage, flat armour given

SF Heavy Vehicles:
    Nightmare: Reduce reload speed
    Warhorse: Flat Armour

Cyclone: Buff Reload: Reduce reload time.
    YOU WILL NEVER GET ME!
  • Carride
    Carride
    Wrongthinker: Here is a question. Yeah, again:

All SF units have their vXP.
    How can you know their new level, I mean, convert. Is that intended?

And something I want:

A VXP curve for units' ranks, before revamp and after revamp, thus, we can compare.
    I mad want it.
    YOU WILL NEVER GET ME!
  • AnthraX123
    AnthraX123
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 131
    WOW! Now thats a step in the right direction. Thanks for letting us know wrongthinker. Finally something to look forward too. And I have been promoting my units so this is going to work well for me lol
  • THE-DESTROYER-MEGA
    THE-DESTROYER-MEGA
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 331

@WrongThinker said:
    AA-82 said:

WrongThinker said:

Thane_Mantis said:

I have Kara already at the max level and Im well on my way to maxing out my Storages, so with any luck I'll soon be ready to start promoting units.
    This is gonna make her so much more deadly on the battlefield.
    Thanks WrongThinker. This is some RightThinking here.

Question: Is this an effect exclusively for Infantry SF, or will this have any effects on units like the  Warhorse or the Hellhound? Will they be getting alterations to their VXP curves as well?

Glad you're excited!  Yeah, Kara is going to be even scarier, for sure.  lol.  To answer your question, these changes will apply to all VXP units (which does include the Warhorse, Nightmare, Hellhound, and so forth).

I hope you guys don't plan on stuffing all the event bases with promoted units in bunkers...

As insane as this may seem, we're actually not planning to do this anytime soon.  You may see the occasional Promoted unit in bases, but Promotion wouldn't feel very powerful if we just Promoted everything in the bases to match you (and players without Promotion would be totally screwed).  In short, Promotion is meant to make you feel powerful and get ahead of the curve, it's a reward for players who get to Rank 20, so it's important to us it delivers.
    kancyr said:

heh how about some retro active xp LOL ...Kidding really Good job,well just hold that good job in the bank until it happens if it don't just put in the trash.

Though players aren't getting bonus VXP, you might get bonus Ranks.  The way to get the most bonus Ranks with a unit is to get as close as possible to your NEXT Rank's threshold, but not cross it.  So, for example, if you have a unit that's Rank 13, get it as as close as you can to 14 without actually getting to 14, then wait until the update goes live before playing it again.  In most cases, you'll get a few bonus Ranks.

I like the idea of this upcoming update i have to say it is pretty impressive love how the curve with VXP will be more even and the increased boost for promotion. Other than that i just thought about this too like when it comes to the event or in a players base or our own attacking units that there could be some sort of symbol above the units head signifying if that unit is promoted or not. In other words if the unit is not promoted then no symbol, but if it is promoted it gets a symbol or icon above its head to show that it is. Its not a neccessity but it is an idea that could later be done to help players better understand if an opposing enemy or AI base has promoted units or not. Could this possibly be done WrongThinker?

• Essayon
    Essayon
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 1,279
    edited 10 Nov 2015, 4:38AM

WrongThinker, I think this is another great improvement. It allows use of extra res. and barracks time to even further improve/hone infantry effectiveness w/o overpowering the units. Range is key and they have their counters. I did notice how the res. requirement for leaders is enough to keep them out of the wrong hands, nice touch. Players would either complain about the expense or lvl30's w/max Kara....You picked the right choice. :)

I would like to point out that most everyone on the forums would agree that you are doing an outstanding job. The real genius of this reciprocal game design is that gameplay is fine-tuned exactly like this. Players choose WC over other games because it has a superior ability to layer decision making to multiple aspects of the game.

From upgrading  to  how you fight in one situation vs another  to  your definition of winning  to  what you learn from enemies  to  the people you hang out with to planning future play,  all mesh into this global venue that thrives simply because players can learn from each other.  And shoot stuff. 

The more they are 'encouraged' to do so, the more rewarding the experience. A players gets beat or sees an unfamiliar strategy, they should feel motivated to experiment, to improve. As part of a team(clan), members(friends) feed off each other.

As you know, there are problems with rampant cheating, laggy gameplay, constant crashing, outrageous pvp repair bills, seasoned players having difficulty even defeating bases, players losing saved upgrades/progress, unpopular&punishing features continually used, basic game functions not working and on top of all that, next to no communication from the company as to what is going on, let alone what is being done to fix it.

Guys like me see the true potential of WC and come on here and post with the sole purpose of trying to help. So I'm sitting here, puzzling over how to express my appreciation for all your hard work while simultaneously conveying the great difficulty of reaping the results without giving the impression that the experience is "not that bad" because of all the other problems, all without discouraging you. If the rest of the game worked this well, Zynga would be out of business.

• Good Friend
    Good Friend
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 323
    Need to upgrade   both metal and oil storages to over 190 mil  first to promote kara. A second dozer would be nice
    level 43
  • omkar2000
    omkar2000
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 713
    DERP17 said:

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

-WT

Good job i hope to see the changes to brother j! he is only rank 17 for me while the rest is 20!
    Now i just need to ug my academy from lvl 8 to lvl 10
    lvl40 finally
  • omkar2000
    omkar2000
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 713
    omkar2000 said:
    DERP17 said:

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

We’re changing all that.

PROMOTION

CONCLUSIONS

-WT

Good job i hope to see the changes to brother j! he is only rank 17 for me while the rest is 20!
    Now i just need to ug my academy from lvl 8 to lvl 10
    Kara would be an epic unit now. 
    lvl40 finally
  • Aalok R
    Aalok R
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 559
    Best so far from Kixeye in recent weeks. Good job WT. I only have 1 concern. We all have noticed that when any SF unit is promoted, we need to repair it once placed in a platoon corresponding to its new increased (10%) health. Now till now the repair times I have seen for promoted marksmen, heavy operators and preservers is around 6 mins each. But I fear if the health increases by 50%, the (unnecessary) repair time for corresponding increase might shoot up drastically.
    I'm sure its a bug that units need repairs after promotion and I hope you guys look into it. Just raising an alarm here.
  • Kelly Slabaugh
    Kelly Slabaugh
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 502

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

We’re changing all that.

PROMOTION

CONCLUSIONS

-WT

I hope it works....=-)

• Justus_Asylum
    Justus_Asylum
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 2
    HI, I see you doing alot of things for game betterment.. can i request to chat with me once... here is small thing which i like to talk to you in chat is... Wen we play any game they verify our email id.. for that they send link in email to play.. but from playing kix site it is not required so lots of ppl using fake email id to hack.. so you guys should add verify procedure.. it will help to reduce the no of cheater.... Think about it wrong thinker it is simple solution to major problem....
  • Nuffin
    Nuffin
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 482

@AdS_Heisenberg said:
    WrongThinker said:

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

We’re changing all that.

PROMOTION

CONCLUSIONS

-WT

Great change overall - but I have to ask. What about those players that did the insane grind of BJ and/or preservers to 20. wouldnt it be fair to give something to them. I happen to have leveld BJ and a ton of preservers to 20 - invested a ton of my time on that ... and now people get it easier (which is good in itself) - I somehow feel cheated ... no idea if there is a way to give those players something - a few free promotions / some gold or anything else. It was a chore to level BJ and preservers ... took me months.

As much as I am happy for those players that dont have level 20 preservers yet, I myself feel shafted.

Maybe you guys can find something that pays for our invested time!

ditto. something needs to be done imo

• warinwar
    warinwar
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 764
    edited 10 Nov 2015, 9:40AM
    This sounds like a great change - I hope it will look that way once it is alive (I will check you, Bro J and promoted Kara ;-)).
  • MarkE2020
    MarkE2020
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 173

@KIXEYE/ mods

Please don't not implement this until gold hacks are fixed, as the same as when I seen you released bullseye. You are giving hackers a massive edge.

Full bases with all max sf plus promotion, spec dies in 1 sec,

I would actually love this as I have a few already promoted but. It's just another nail in the war commander coffin

• Samurai Pizza Cat
    Samurai Pizza Cat
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 769
    Past week i was training in corpus 45 a platoon made of 3 warhorses + 3 jackals. warhorses with max lvl6 heavy/magazine/platin and jackals basic zero schematic. the 6 units launched at same time with arachnid army. Today warhorses only got lvl 11 and jackals are almost 20.
    If warhorses are supossed to deal more damage and destruction something is failing here. Lets see whats happen from today...

• romanov alexandrov
    romanov alexandrov
    Potential Threat
    Joined Jul 2014 Posts: 64
    guess what, my Bro J was maxed about 3 months of rough fights.......
    I hope in future, there will no "forever upgrade" for cool stuffs like that one
  • AdS_Heisenberg
    AdS_Heisenberg
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,117
    edited 10 Nov 2015, 2:56PM
    Not smart to just put 2 VXP curves.

As someone above alrdy posted they do different amounts of damage. So, units that do more damage will level up faster. What does that mean?

- leaders will level way faster than normal units
    - high damage units level faster than lower damage units
    - effort people put into preservers/preserver leads is wasted (if we dont get something in reward for leveling them up the hard way)

You dont archieve the goal that units level about the same speed.

leads are more powerfull than normal units - they should need more VXP.

normal ops shoulod be leveled faster than heavy ops for example, but now they will level slower ...

this doesnt sound like well thought out.

or can you explain the reason why you took only 2 VXP curves ...

P.S.: Or do units have different ratios how much VXP they gain for each damage point they do and damage point the receive? (is it that what you called earn rates?) That would be the second factor how VXP gained could be influenced while only having those 2 curves. for example a HLO needs to do 5 damage to get one VXP and a normal operator get 1 VXP for each 1 damage he does. would mean he levels up 5 times faster than an HLO while having the same upgrade curve. he just fills levels faster. getting to know the earn rates then would be helpfull then ...
  • Carride
    Carride
    @WrongThinker
    Yeah. Again, round 3 :)

This time, it is about how it works for the promotion thing.
    This time, it is about the cost and further things:
    Will it be affected by the Barracks level?
    As I see promotion, there is a I at the right lower corner:
    Will there be any New promotion such as II or III or IV or V, etc, if planned?

Now, another question:
    Is that we can have all those goodies after update * a battle will update everything?
    Just asking. Need some help on this. Thanks
    YOU WILL NEVER GET ME!
This discussion has been closed.