Powering Up: Fixing Unit Progression

WrongThinker
WrongThinker
BP Game Team
Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,712
edited 11 Nov 2015, 11:13PM

Hi Commanders,  WrongThinker here.

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

These changes will go live with this week’s update (exact day and time TBD).

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

See you on the fields of battle, Commanders.  Enjoy.

-WT

UPDATE: NOW WITH EVEN MORE DETAIL!!!
I wanted to dive a little deeper into these changes to address some questions I've seen on this thread and around the forums.

Primarily: why did we change Earn Rates in addition to Rank Thresholds?  We did this because we were standardizing the VXP curves, not just improving them.  Each unit used to have a unique curve, which meant there was no consistent value to VXP.  I want to expand on this idea of "consistent value," because this seems to be causing more confusion than any other point and also because it's highly relevant to understand why standardization is a good thing.

Let's say I have a job where I earn $10 an hour and you have a job where you earn $20 an hour.  You might think you make more than me, but now what if I told you that I live in a city where the average rent is $1,000 a month and you live in a city where the average rent is $3,000 a month (and that these rents reflect cost of living in these respective areas).  Even though you technically make more, I can afford far more with my $10 than you can with your $20.  In this example, I am actually paid better, even though I am paid numerically less.

So, to bring this back to War Commander, you may have earned more on a particular target than you used to, but that doesn't mean you're going to level up more slowly.  For example, to get Bro J from level 1 to level 20 took 828,000,000 VXP.  Under the new system, he takes 35,500,000.  That's more than a 95% reduction in the total VXP required to get him to level 20!  While he will earn less VXP per battle, he'll still level up WAY faster than he used to.

However, now that all units share 1 of 2 curves and earn in the same way, you can judge how well you're using your units by the VXP they earn.  Also, you know that new non-Heroic units will level up much like your current units (so it won't be a surprise how units will gain levels).  Finally, if the system still isn't quite right, it will be much easier to adjust, since it will likely be failing in the same way for all units (easier to identify problems and easier to solve them).

I hope this additional explanation helps.  :)

UPDATE: PART II NOW AVAILABLE
This thread is being locked, but only because there is a more up-to-date thread on this topic: POWERING UP (PART II).
Game Design Ninja
KIXEYE
  • dahouse
    dahouse
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 10
    fk this **** we dont want new units more vxp chances until you all take a hold of the hackers, keep adding **** while no one addresses the elephant in the room of bullseye spamming and night owl spamming..... how many tix of 150 bullseyes and 50 or more night owls does it take for the fucktards in fairplay to see that the guy is a hacker??? 
    dunno maybe the account being under a **** day should help......... take your bullshit some places else cause you are living up to your name as you are obviously not thinking correctly !
  • DERP17
    DERP17
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2015 Posts: 10

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, our systems of unit progression (Veteran Experience and Promotion) have some problems.  Today, I’m going to talk a bit about those problems and how we’re going to fix them.

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

VXP is great in that it provides all Commanders a path to getting more powerful troops merely by using them in combat.  The more combat a unit has seen, the more experienced they are, the stronger they get.  It makes sense and it’s fun to watch your units grow in power as you play.

Unfortunately, the system was very uneven.  Operators, for example, required about 6 Million VXP to go from Rank 19 to Rank 20, but a Preserver required about 32 Million.  To make matters worse, different units earned different amount of VXP, even from the same targets.  So, one unit might earn 200,000 VXP during combat and another might earn 3,000,000.  Some units also took forever to level-up (I’m looking at you Bro J), making it feel like a brutal grind.  All of this made it very difficult to gauge the kind of progress you were making with a unit, which could make the whole process pretty frustrating.

We’re changing all that.

To simplify things, there will now only be 2 curves: Normal and Heroic.  All non-Hero Special Forces will have the same VXP requirements at all levels.  All Heroes will share a different curve.  In both curves, you'll see two primary improvements in addition to the fact they are standardized.  First, the curves themselves will be smoother and, though a few units may see earlier levels take a fight or two longer, later levels are often drastically reduced (especially for the likes of Bro J).  Taken as a whole, units will only benefit from this.  Second, you’ll see very similar earn rates for all Unit types that share a curve.  So, a platoon of Rank 10 Operators hitting a Verkraft 65 will make roughly the same amount of progress toward Rank 11 as a platoon of Rank 10 Nightmares against the same target.

In general, this should make progress feel much better and more consistent for your whole army.  So long as you’re using all your units evenly, none will fall behind.  It also means that you’ll have a good sense of what to expect of new units when they’re released, as well.

PROMOTION

We wanted to reward units who reached the top of their VXP curve with an additional power boost.  This was Promotion.  Promotion increased Damage, Health, and even gave a slight benefit to repairs.  Unfortunately, the power benefit just wasn’t a suitable reward for players who put the time into getting their units to the top.  That’s about to change.

Now, instead of gaining merely 10% to Damage and Health, Promoted Units will gain a MASSIVE 50% bonus to Damage and Health (and will still gain the 5% reduction to Repair Time).  A full platoon of Promoted Units will truly be a force to be reckoned with (even a single Promoted hero will bring some serious heat).

CONCLUSIONS

As far as the VXP changes, all SF units will be transferred to the new curves.  Though no unit will lose levels, it is possible that some of your army may gain levels after a single use (especially if they were nearing their next level).  Should this occur, do not be alarmed, just enjoy the power.

For Promotion, all players who have already achieved Promotions for their units will immediately receive the new power in full.  For other players who haven’t Promoted their units yet, don’t worry, we’re not increasing the price despite the increase in power.

-WT

Good job i hope to see the changes to brother j! he is only rank 17 for me while the rest is 20!
  • Blakdog68
    Blakdog68
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 207
    dahouse said:
    fk this **** we dont want new units more vxp chances until you all take a hold of the hackers, keep adding **** while no one addresses the elephant in the room of bullseye spamming and night owl spamming..... how many tix of 150 bullseyes and 50 or more night owls does it take for the fucktards in fairplay to see that the guy is a hacker??? 
    dunno maybe the account being under a **** day should help......... take your bullshit some places else cause you are living up to your name as you are obviously not thinking correctly !
    OH no you said the H-Word, bad bad bad you :D lol

• SamantaSmartowska
    SamantaSmartowska
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 629
    I hope that this changes will be good same sf need ages to get on 20 lvl
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Dec 2012 Posts: 8,259
    edited 9 Nov 2015, 8:54PM

PROMOTION

I have Kara already at the max level and Im well on my way to maxing out my Storages, so with any luck I'll soon be ready to start promoting units.
    This is gonna make her so much more deadly on the battlefield.
    Thanks WrongThinker. This is some RightThinking here.

Question: Is this an effect exclusively for Infantry SF, or will this have any effects on units like the  Warhorse or the Hellhound? Will they be getting alterations to their VXP curves as well?
  • WrongThinker
    WrongThinker
    BP Game Team
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 1,712
    I have Kara already at the max level and Im well on my way to maxing out my Storages, so with any luck I'll soon be ready to start promoting units.

Question: Is this an effect exclusively for Infantry SF, or will this have any effects on units like the  Warhorse or the Hellhound? Will they be getting alterations to their VXP curves as well?
    Glad you're excited!  Yeah, Kara is going to be even scarier, for sure.  lol.  To answer your question, these changes will apply to all VXP units (which does include the Warhorse, Nightmare, Hellhound, and so forth).
    Game Design Ninja
    KIXEYE
  • AA-82
    AA-82
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 14,966

Glad you're excited!  Yeah, Kara is going to be even scarier, for sure.  lol.  To answer your question, these changes will apply to all VXP units (which does include the Warhorse, Nightmare, Hellhound, and so forth).
    I hope you guys don't plan on stuffing all the event bases with promoted units in bunkers...
  • Joeybagadoughnuts
    Joeybagadoughnuts
    Incursion Leader
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 1,433
    heh how about some retro active xp LOL ...Kidding really Good job,well just hold that good job in the bank until it happens if it don't just put in the trash.
  • Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord

Glad too hear that.
    I've started dusting off the Hellhounds a bit as they haven't been used as much, so its nice to hear their progression will be improved a bit.
  • dahouse
    dahouse
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 10
    hacker hackers every where but fair play is not to be found!!!!!!!!!! hackers hackers HACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DO your jobs
  • killer99999999
    killer99999999
    Force to be Reckoned With
    Joined May 2015 Posts: 1,770

This is a great change Sir WT. I have 30 preservers built all sitting between 15 -17 and they just don't want to level up any further. I always thought the original operators leveled up too quickly and preservers much to slow. looking forward to this....
  • SamantaSmartowska
    SamantaSmartowska
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2014 Posts: 629

This is a great change Sir WT. I have 30 preservers built all sitting between 15 -17 and they just don't want to level up any further. I always thought the original operators leveled up too quickly and preservers much to slow. looking forward to this....
    Yes l kill like 200  50 thorium   bases with them and my preservers still not 20

• Thane_Mantis
    Thane_Mantis
    Unicorn Overlord
    kancyr said:
    heh how about some retro active xp LOL ...Kidding really Good job,well just hold that good job in the bank until it happens if it don't just put in the trash.
    Though players aren't getting bonus VXP, you might get bonus Ranks.  The way to get the most bonus Ranks with a unit is to get as close as possible to your NEXT Rank's threshold, but not cross it.  So, for example, if you have a unit that's Rank 13, get it as as close as you can to 14 without actually getting to 14, then wait until the update goes live before playing it again.  In most cases, you'll get a few bonus Ranks.
    I've a set of Operators in a toon lead by Sheila. I sure hope they can get a jump up to the next rank lol.
  • Make_Me
    Make_Me
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 4,643
    edited 9 Nov 2015, 11:44PM
    * i dont wana be mean to others...

but just wana say that Wrong Thinker (the component dude) seem to be doing its job well.
    when he found something that is not totally right.. he tune it up and add some value to it... 
    and when player do take the time to pin point something that is terribly wrong .... WrongThinker LISTEN 

he seem to be the only employee at kixeye that seem to get that 50% = a boost and (+6% is just plain crappy) 

-------------

so from now on WrongThinker... you need to go to the FaiPlay team office AND FCKING KICK THEIR **** OFF.... 
    take them out of their day dream and MAKE THEM WORK.... idk if FairPlay team is in vacation or whatever but we dont see them posting any result

WrongThinker +1
    FairPlay team - 254 
  • Hydria
    Hydria
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2014 Posts: 82
    fix the lag and bugs and hackers in game frist dam 

• acidjr
    acidjr
    Greenhorn
    Joined Sep 2015 Posts: 10
    Hacker , lag then add some new stuff...in that order please..... until then going flat like the rest of the sectors are.... Good Lucky Kixeye!

• Servant86
    Servant86
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2014 Posts: 15
    God bless kixeye  <3<3<3
  • NieR01
    NieR01
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jun 2015 Posts: 4,347
    thank heaven I can actually get somewhere with brother J
    Image result for nier replicant

• msteward12002
    msteward12002
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 1,315
    wellll I WANT to Believe... but will wait till after update.  Kara and a few others been sitting on the cusp for so long....
  • pcheyne
    pcheyne
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Sep 2013 Posts: 265
    It all sound good WrongThinker but we need your brother RightAction to fix the hacker issue.... this is way out of control for all paying customer and nothing is being done first enough

Until Then my clan is going flat

• xX_ACHILLES_Xx
    xX_ACHILLES_Xx
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 1,315
    When will this happen?

100 10 due to layoffs, stoned monkeys have to get it figured out
    eventually, RIGHT?

weed animated GIF
  • SuicideKings0
    SuicideKings0
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Aug 2013 Posts: 460
    WRONG THINKER

what are you going to do about the players whose barracks are frozen in upgrades. I have 3 buildings that stopped progressing and are frozen I sent a ticket 5 days ago and still have not heard back so basically i cant even take advantage of the new changes your discussing.????? please advise/
  • Florin Ciuperca
    Florin Ciuperca
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 42
    ,ine ammo is not repaired from long time and i have repair whit gold but still not repaired and i send tiket from last 4 days and nobody answer at my tiket ,,, whts happen whit kixeye now ????
  • Florin Ciuperca
    Florin Ciuperca
    Potential Threat
    Joined Aug 2012 Posts: 42
    nice suport ,,, that fast have answer at my tiket ,,, thank you kixeye
  • GoSmokeMore
    GoSmokeMore
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 4,088
    poor sarkis..
    War Commander: Level 43
  • AdS_Heisenberg
    AdS_Heisenberg
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1,117

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

We’re changing all that.

PROMOTION

CONCLUSIONS

-WT

Great change overall - but I have to ask. What about those players that did the insane grind of BJ and/or preservers to 20. wouldnt it be fair to give something to them. I happen to have leveld BJ and a ton of preservers to 20 - invested a ton of my time on that ... and now people get it easier (which is good in itself) - I somehow feel cheated ... no idea if there is a way to give those players something - a few free promotions / some gold or anything else. It was a chore to level BJ and preservers ... took me months.

As much as I am happy for those players that dont have level 20 preservers yet, I myself feel shafted.

Maybe you guys can find something that pays for our invested time!
  • AA-82
    AA-82
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 14,966

VETERAN EXPERIENCE (VXP)

We’re changing all that.

PROMOTION

CONCLUSIONS

-WT

Great change overall - but I have to ask. What about those players that did the insane grind of BJ and/or preservers to 20. wouldnt it be fair to give something to them. I happen to have leveld BJ and a ton of preservers to 20 - invested a ton of my time on that ... and now people get it easier (which is good in itself) - I somehow feel cheated ... no idea if there is a way to give those players something - a few free promotions / some gold or anything else. It was a chore to level BJ and preservers ... took me months.

As much as I am happy for those players that dont have level 20 preservers yet, I myself feel shafted.

Maybe you guys can find something that pays for our invested time!
    We've all been grinding upgrades in an unfair system, now Kixeye is fixing it.
    What you get is all your new SF will upgrade faster with less of a grind.
  • Randy_D9089
    Randy_D9089
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 358

Thank you for this! Bro J and preservers felt more like a punishment than a prize.

This discussion has been closed.