I'm sure some of you recognize me by now. ~35 year veteran IT tech and network administrator. Career nerd, I suppose you could say. I'm writing this to you because it's, well, become quite unbearable lately trying to play your game.
I've made my share of jokes, hoping to put a humorous spin on very irritating topics. Some examples like,
"Are you not yet convinced that your developers are retarded in some
special way? When does the short bus come by to pick them up after work?"
"Y'all don't sharpen yer tools much, do ya?"
"Need to upgrade from those 386-based servers and join modern times."
But truth be told, being an IT tech for decades clues me in on some of the issues going on. What really gripes my **** though, is the lack of listening to the little guy. Us - the players who actually use the thing. Not the devs who have a closed environment where they can "hack" the game sufficiently to suit needs for testing these updates and the units coming out. This is all well and good, because not many companies actually bend an ear to the people that use their stuff. So you have a leg up in that arena.
But let's be honest. There's not nearly enough listening going on. I'm willing to bet that you Mods read all the feedback, and pick & choose common threads of a given complaint, accolade, etc. Perfectly understandable. But there are some serious legitimate gripes that they need to be made aware of in their entirety, not just "the gist of it." A well thought out missive can have far more impact than the occasional "bugs in base don't run like they're supposed to." (Which is still an ongoing issue since way back before the world map! And it pisses me off, really.)
I've been playing the game for ages. I can't even remember when I first started. I have had two accounts (yes, all kept within Kixeye's TOS) and my oldest one is ID# 273900. Been around for a while, yeah. Back when the Medic and Mechanic did all the work - and no world map. So I think I have a pretty good idea of what's going on around your place there. So I'm going to list some of MY major gripes. I'm sure most - if not all - will line up with everyone else's complaints.
1) Make sure your Developers are RTS gamers themselves. If they're always playing things like Call of Duty, they have no clue how an RTS runs. Sorry, but fact is fact. The RTS genre contains things like Command & Conquer, StarCraft, Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation, and similar. If they have no level of expertise with those, they're useless in this game. And need to be replaced.
2) Make sure that all updates are fully tested - but NOT in a closed environment where everything runs smooth, has no lag, and behaves as it should. But in the real world - bounce off a Russian proxy or something, while testing. Invite a few loyal players to join in testing BEFORE the rollout.
3) Stop lying to people. Not all of us are idiots. Particularly me. I had once quit the game for 13 months because I was lied to and got no satisfaction from my issue. Granted, most players are not as well educated and end up being rather gullible. But not all of us. Lying is not acceptable in any realm, much less the business world. And stop going back on your word. You promise this and that, and suddenly
make things unbearable by going against what you said. Prime example is,
when Thorium first came out, all uses (upgrades, builds, etc) were
supposed to be 5 seconds or less. I could classify this as a lie, but
it's more of a double-crossing. ANYthing that uses Thorium should be
made 5 seconds or less. Period. I don't care what it is. You gave your
word, make it happen. No excuses.
4) No more new things, okay? Not for a while. Try focusing all your efforts on all these neglected issues and fix stuff. We don't really care how nifty this chopper is, or how handy that weapon is. We really don't. Not when we have to wait 3 to 4 solid hours just to use the friggin game after these improperly (un)tested things are added. We'd rather do without the changes until the existing problems are fixed. Above all things, existing issues MUST be top priority. From our perspective, nothing is worse than having to stare at your base, waiting 4 hours for the game to be usable, because someone had this idiot "promotions" idea. Fix the game and stop using band-aids.
5) Speaking of updates. In all of the business world, if they push out a rollout and it fails, they recall it, fix it, then roll it out again. Not you. No, you'd rather roll it out, watch it fail miserably, then try to "patch" it and make it work, while millions of users are stewing in their juices waiting for it to become functional. This doesn't work. If you expect to keep loyal players, you have to find a different business model. Particularly where people like me (heavy coiners) are supporting your business. If you cannot provide what is paid for, you're opening yourself up for disaster. You have to make sure a given "update" is 100% functional before it is applied. And you wonder why Kixeye has had to lay off a lot of staff. People who support you are becoming seriously disappointed. I'm trying to help you, but even I will only go so far. If a rollout fails, ROLLBACK! Enough making bad worse.
6) You can't sell someone a Cadillac, and give them a Volkswagen. That's illegal. And believe it or not, same rule applies in every form of business. You must provide what is paid for. If someone spends money on a unit, for example, buys the building of a Lead Preserver with a certain set of specifications, and then you turn around afterward and nerf the unit, they are suddenly not getting what they paid for. Just saying.
So that's really all of it, I think. I hope this goes to the proper channels, and not filtered to deliver just the "gist of it" to them. I'm trying to help. But the state of the game now is heading to a major disaster, and now none of you can say you didn't know. But I'm willing to wager it'll probably be "merged" or deleted entirely, because no one wants to listen.
And that's fine. But remember. Everyone has a limit to what they're willing to endure. And judging by the Forums going up in flames after every "maintenance," the outlook isn't good.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
VEGA Conflict: 6486271 (quit due to the idiocy of that Unity changeover's UI revamp)
War Commander 2615750 (Level 44)