Base design tips for those about to get higher levels

PrPlPete
PrPlPete
Skilled Warrior
Joined May 2013 Posts: 452

Although my base is absolute crap and nothing is upgraded sufficiently (for my level) I still think I have a solid base PLAN, but if there are any more tips or tricks you can add, please write in the comments below! and please leave constructive feedback and critique. No one appreciates an a-hole.

My layout is attached below.

Now before I get a lot of rage from my horrible red turrets and platforms, I know. I'm terrible at this game. Also, this design is based off wceBilly's video. His channel: (https://www.youtube.com/user/oxthemovie). But let's be honest about the platforms. With all the really strong units (I'm avoiding the word OP) in the game, it's becoming a waste of time (IMO).

Let's talk about what's going on here. As you can see, it's a double-symmetric base with a layer of wall on the outside. The walls are 5 wall-spaces away from my turrets and towers. The walls directly next to the turrets are shielding my e-gats and my modified challies. Here is a VERY important tip about defense (and I cannot stress this enough) DO NOT MAKE ANY OF YOUR TURRETS ANTI-AIR.
Why? Well, there is not a single AA turret that can out-range Hellstorms, modified Warhawks, or Banshees, but anti-ground turrets can out-range Hellfires which is the unit with the highest range in the game. Leave AA to your units.

Now, what kind of units should I defend with? Like I just said, they should all be AA. My favorite AA unit is the Hovertank. It can one-shot most aircraft and can also target ground units with more damage than an un-customized Mega Tank. It can also move & shoot which is extremely valuable. Also, it's fast. not as fast as an FAV, but faster than a lot of ground units.

If you don't have these babes, try customized Challengers. They can target air with the right specs and still target ground as well. However, they are not nearly as fast as Hovertanks, can't move & shoot, don't always hit their targets if they're too fast. However, you can still give your enemies a look surprise with them :D

Now let's see what I'm protecting. I know what some of you are thinking. "The turrets are too far apart you idiot! Move them closer to make a better design!"
Well, if you see a problem, why not message the guy who I based the design off of?
Anyways, the #1 thing you should protect is your CC. It holds 50% of your bases' resources and, well, it's your CC. #2: power plants. Without power, our turrets will fire much slower. That can get devastating. #3: Thorium. That stuff is rare, act like it is. #4: your Go-go bar. When destroyed, it will no longer give your units that sexual driving boost of power. Protect your ladies!
Even with all these units protected, you will see that I still have plenty of space left, so I put in some storage and buildings that were either upgrading or researching.

For a strong base, you MUST, MUST, MUST use the Plasma turret and the Cryo turret. I know I don't have it in my base yet, but as you can see, I'm unlocking them right now. As for placement, put them near your towers, not far from it. You want to place your Cryo turrets further away since they don't deal as much damage and are only for slowing units down. If you're planning to use lasers, I recommend putting them near your towers again since they don't have as much range but still do plenty of damage.
Here are the value of turrets in order that you want to use (from greatest to weakest, also my own opinion): Plasma, Cryo, Laser, Napalm, Shock, Barrage, Mortar, Hellfire, Machine, Flak.
I put Barrage near the end, but I'm still considering using them. They have a HUGE range, and yet TINY damage, but they get a bit annoying when you get in range and can't get out fast. 

Use your CC's height to conceal stuff. Behind mine is my Drone Silo to give another good surprise.

And if you're going to choose a bunker type, I recommend the watchtower for their 50% range buff. They don't have the greatest armor, but still do a good job.  Level 10 mortar teams will out-range everything, level 10 Heavy Gunners will out-range all air, and the same goes for Stingers. Modify half your Gunners with napalm rounds and half with corrosion. Also, make them resistant to concussion. You don't want a tower that can't shoot!
WC lvl: 34 (Retired) -- VC lvl: 43

Some lore I made:                                                       Some comedy I made:                                                  Some instructions I made (for Linux):
  • pool dog
    pool dog
    Greenhorn
    Joined Oct 2012 Posts: 16

What is your opinion of Valkyries for base defense?

• manas.bhattacharya.96
    manas.bhattacharya.96
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 1,486

they r crap unless u r online...... or keep some good ground units with them (like megas) as they can be baited with erm or humvees :\

If u got banned or wanna report a glitch, send ticket....
    These aren't for the forum
    try to enjoy the game as it is and don't be a 100% pessimist
    don't post useless requests about 2nd or more dozers or attack replay video on the forum (cause kixeye won't listen)

• manas.bhattacharya.96
    manas.bhattacharya.96
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Apr 2014 Posts: 1,486

and yes, plasma is near useless against the vanquisher

If u got banned or wanna report a glitch, send ticket....
    These aren't for the forum
    try to enjoy the game as it is and don't be a 100% pessimist
    don't post useless requests about 2nd or more dozers or attack replay video on the forum (cause kixeye won't listen)

• PrPlPete
    PrPlPete
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 452
    pool dog said:

If you can, unlock the jet propulsion tech so that they can move & shoot, which is extremely valuable. I don't have them yet, but according to my calculations, valks with Jet Propulsion VI (300% faster) can out-run the Spectre.

I have all my defending valks equipped with suicide vests. What you should also do is equip a third with mortar, a third with plasma, and a third with stinger missiles.

I don't know a single turret that can dish out enough damage to be effective against it. Do you? Or do you use ground units to take care of those? I wanna know how to take care of those things

WC lvl: 34 (Retired) -- VC lvl: 43

Some lore I made:                                                       Some comedy I made:                                                  Some instructions I made (for Linux):
  • Cyanide_Storm
    Cyanide_Storm
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined May 2013 Posts: 873
    PrPlPete said:
    pool dog said:

If you can, unlock the jet propulsion tech so that they can move & shoot, which is extremely valuable. I don't have them yet, but according to my calculations, valks with Jet Propulsion VI (300% faster) can out-run the Spectre.

I have all my defending valks equipped with suicide vests. What you should also do is equip a third with mortar, a third with plasma, and a third with stinger missiles.

I don't know a single turret that can dish out enough damage to be effective against it. Do you? Or do you use ground units to take care of those? I wanna know how to take care of those things

Shock wing drones and mines

Level:43
    Event Toys;EHellstorm+Schematic  EHellfires+Schematic  Egats Evalks Glads Stingers EHeavy Gunners ERiflemen FAVS+Schematic  Shock Trooper Honey Badger Flak Tank ELaser Tanks+Schematic Drone Silo Reaper Drone+Schematic  Halcyon EHawks Dogs Plasma Emegas Elite Hovers Elite ETItan Vanquishers+Schematic Wraith Oni Mk II EBanshees+Schematic SF Shelia  Scorchers Chimera Kara Kara Hover Commanders Archangel SandStorm Nightmare