Mod responses to raid concerns

ThreeEyedCrow
ThreeEyedCrow
Skilled Warrior
Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 302

I have not seen really anything int he way of mod responses to the player's raid concerns. The one comment I did see which I found very disconcerting was Batman basically telling everyone to deal with it.  Without sifting through the hundreds of pages of general raid complaints, has there been any helpful information, advice, feedbacketc. from any of the mods concerning everyone's concerns?

• ThreeEyedCrow
    ThreeEyedCrow
    Skilled Warrior

thank you. Any chance anyone has compiled a list of which fleets specs are suitable for? I know they are no good for 44's, which I found out the hard way.  I believe they are very good for 43's and 45's. The motherships in the 45 don't have sonar it seems. I was able to get them with specs with all s armor and nautilus battery without getting touched. I am still trying to figure out what the heck to do with a 43.

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Sep 2011 Posts: 9,977

The people who are using subs successfully zombied them and tried different things until they saw what worked.

• TheBigGangsterBoss
    TheBigGangsterBoss
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 1,362

i  have a secret technique, but u have to pm if u wnat, kix may change it for the next raid :3

:p, The Big Boss
  • starbl4107
    starbl4107
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 631

There are players who say they lurk my posts for information during raids.  Have given away quite a few tips regarding this event.  Here's a recap of most of that with a few extra points.

Starting at the middle of the combat zone is not such a bad thing if you bring in a Gunboat.  I line up Corvettes for most targets.  The 64 will fight off over 30% of its health if you steer down and then to the left.  What's left after that is nothing but Drac ships, so an ED module isn't needed to clean up.  Just go for the Typhoon ASAP.

Even when the Gunboat/Corvette prep dies immediately, the Dracs and Reavers can fight for several seconds.  The 43 and 63 can lose 25% of their health from three Corvette preps.

The A tier isn't much harder than the B tier.  If you can handle B you can probably handle A (which is unusual for a raid).  The 75 Elite is more of a novelty; best points to damage return (IMHO) is in the A tier.

Insta-fleets and zombies can really wear things down if you use the right tactics.

One winning strategy open to midsized players (50s-60s) gets overlooked a lot because players tend to reject it for somewhat arbitrary reasons.  There actually is a middle ground between doing everything yourself and mooching preps off of somebody way stronger.  If you and a friend own different prep fleets (insta and zombie), you can trade off and prep much more efficiently.

The people who have figured out where and when and how to use submarines are having a pretty good time.  The subs just can't be used quite everywhere.  Problem is the rest of the community is trolling them pretty hard when they say anything about it.

none of that changes the fact that the damage levels were drastically increased just for the sole intent of milking the players.

hell just look at the c's, easily 2-3 times the amount of damage as the last raid, for me that is going for 5 minute repairs up to 15, sorry but my money will go to other better developed games this month

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord

Actually I'm doing this raid for a lot less damage than May.

• Brotherhigh
    Brotherhigh
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 166
    Tactics sound great for people with specs and cudas,what about the players who dont have them.
    BH
  • chuckee49
    chuckee49
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 479

Would you say that your an average player?

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    chuckee49 said:

Is that a useful direction to take this thread?  Please reread the tips for level 50s-60s players.

• ThreeEyedCrow
    ThreeEyedCrow
    Skilled Warrior
    I understand the frustration, There are lots of threads for that. I would like to keep this one constructive.
  • chuckee49
    chuckee49
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 479
    chuckee49 said:

Is that a useful direction to take this thread?  Please reread the tips for level 50s-60s players.

Yes, I believe it is a useful direction. You stated that your doing this raid for less damage than May's raid. I have no idea what kind of a player you are. If your an average player who has figured out some technique to make this raid doable, then I have some  hope, If your an elite 1%er, then I'd disregard your comments. So I ask again, are you an average player or one of the elites?

• starbl4107
    starbl4107
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 631
    chuckee49 said:
    chuckee49 said:

Yes, I believe it is a useful direction. You stated that your doing this raid for less damage than May's raid. I have no idea what kind of a player you are. If your an average player who has figured out some technique to make this raid doable, then I have some  hope, If your an elite 1%er, then I'd disregard your comments. So I ask again, are you an average player or one of the elites?

don't even bother, kixeye does this every raid in the series, doubling damage with each one, they have also been known to increase damage mdway through a raid.

simply put, they don't give a crap about us, they are only interested in how much they can milk us for and that is the truth, the direction they have taken the game is all the proof needed to make my statement true

• Cap'n Jim
    Cap'n Jim
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 104

Thanks for posting this info squirrel.  I guess I was hoping for something more substantial though.  What is Kixeye's view on the thread that's pinned to the top of the forum (i.e. the one with 30 pages of people unhappy with the raid)?  Obviously I'm not expecting you to magic up a new raid format overnight, but can you give any words that can appease some of the negativity that has been put forward by the community on this matter?  Or some guarantees that these concerns from the player base are being taken seriously?

• ThreeEyedCrow
    ThreeEyedCrow
    Skilled Warrior
    Tactics sound great for people with specs and cudas,what about the players who dont have them.
    For a long time the only way I got anywhere in raids was by having people prep targets for me. Ask around in your sector or alliance. Otherwise you have to grind. Do minimum repairs and send your fleets to get the war zones To kill themselves
  • HappyNoob
    HappyNoob
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Feb 2014 Posts: 443

sublimeandy said:

thank you. Any chance anyone has compiled a list of which fleets specs are suitable for? I know they are no good for 44's, which I found out the hard way.  I believe they are very good for 43's and 45's. The motherships in the 45 don't have sonar it seems. I was able to get them with specs with all s armor and nautilus battery without getting touched. I am still trying to figure out what the heck to do with a 43.

I've heard 44 was do-able with subs.  I personally have been able to insta-repair it with a sub-cav arb and Lightning carriers, so I haven't tried, but a strategy was mentioned in response to my "Noobs Guide to Tempest" on the strategy boards.

41, 42 and 45 are easily sub-able.  I posted how in that guide.  I honestly haven't worked out sub-prepping a 43 yet.  I can get the bottom two hulks, but once I'm left with the boats up top, I keep getting run down by all the gunboats or the grim.  

I moved on to A's now, as they are honestly just a fraction harder than B's.  64 seems identical to 44 except that the subs have a tiny bit more health.  65 is easy to get them to kill themselves, and what's left, even when it's some protos, does surprisingly little damage for a 65.  61, however, is freaking brutal.  I don't know why, but that one is a pain.  Sub-able if you do it right though.

HappyNoob
    A.K.A. Rookz

And for the record:  Ruube1, Apeerless1 and Burnt are better pirates than I am.
  • phroxenphyre
    phroxenphyre
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 5,342

As I mentioned in the discussion thread and Weresquirrel earlier in this one, leading with your big guns is a huge mistake in this raid. The initial damage is incredibly high but that is easily mitigated by sending in a few waves of something small and easily repairable. The battle persists for a few seconds after you die so the Dracs and Reavers continue to kill each other off. That single second that your Gunboat lives is actually just as useful as the three seconds your big shiny Mauler fleet lives for. So instead of killing off your Maulers and racking up massive repair times, lead with the Gunboat and get the same result.

Once the Dracs and Reavers have thinned themselves out a bit, you can start sending in other fleets. Subs have been my favourite to use since they are not easily detected this time around. I can just drive them into a corner and let the target kill itself entirely or I can run around the perimeter and snipe ships.

Using this tactic, I've killed three 75s, each taking no more than 4-5 gold worth of repairs. I also did an entire B set for about 90 minutes of damage to a Nash fleet I used on the Reapers in the 44. So far, this has been the cheapest raid I've done in a long time.

That said, I can understand why so many people are frustrated. If you don't use the tactics Weresquirrel and I have mentioned, well, I think this meme about says it all:

Out of retirement
  • Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
    chuckee49 said:
    chuckee49 said:

There isn't any way to reply modestly.  Since you insist, I am the author of the "How to Survive Level 40" player guides and of the "Opinionated Guide to the Raid Hulls" series.

The most recent Opinionated Guide received 12 thousand page views.  The most popular of the How to Survive guides has over 40 thousand views.  If there are any further questions about my competence at sharing midgame advice, please direct them through private messages.  The topic of this thread is a request for helpful tactics, not a query whether moderators pull responses from their nether regions. ;)

• Planet Express
    Planet Express
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jul 2012 Posts: 139

Guess what. Cudas don't work so well. I tried a 41 with no flagship and all were sunk on opening volley. 

• fernlab
    fernlab
    Greenhorn
    Joined Nov 2012 Posts: 5

"The A tier isn't much harder than the B tier.  If you can handle B you can probably handle A."

So, what's the point of having a B tier? Used to be mid-level players could go to the B tier, spend a couple of bucks, and get better hulls/weapons. It was the way to improve. With the B tier being as hard as the A tier, you have to make a choice: spend a ton of money to remain competitive or decline to participate.

Being a software developer, I have a theory that BP is deep into it's "sunset" period. Resources are being pulled and it is time to maximize it's revenue production all the way to the bitter end. There is no longer an interest in maintaining any balance between playability and revenue. Every day that passes the former becomes less important and the latter more so.

I don't know that it is so much that Kixeye is killing the game as it is that the game has reached it's natural end of life. Either way, prepare to spend a ton of dough if you want to "play". The gap between the haves and the have nots will widen daily.

Kinda sad

• Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Chat Moderator
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 903

If you can handle B you can probably handle A (which is unusual for a raid)

There you go. Weresquirrel was the first Mod to actually come out and say it. The difference between As and Bs is almost non-exsistant.

And Batman let me ask you with your running in gunboat after gunboat in 75s how many points are you netting off them? About 400k-500k Id wager. Now to get the hull and the weapon you need 17.5 mil points Which will equate to 35 75s. Spawn rate on 75s being what it is well im not saying its impossible but good luck

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord

IIRC Batman is getting a little bit under a million per 75.  In the 800k to 900k range.  He could fill in with a more precise response.  The moderators were comparing notes yesterday.  Hitman has gotten the most points among us: 1.4 million.  I've gotten 1.3.  Batman scores fewer points but has cheaper repairs.

• Cap'n Jim
    Cap'n Jim
    Minor Nuisance

IIRC Batman is getting a little bit under a million per 75.  In the 800k to 900k range.  He could fill in with a more precise response.  The moderators were comparing notes yesterday.  Hitman has gotten the most points among us: 1.4 million.  I've gotten 1.3.  Batman scores fewer points but has cheaper repairs.

Can you post a video?

• Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Damnation-n-Hellfire
    Chat Moderator
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 903

Im suprised because Ive done both tactic the running in boat after single boat i managed only 500k and going in balls out i got 1.7m

• Weresquirrel
    Weresquirrel
    Unicorn Overlord
  • Cap'n Jim
    Cap'n Jim
    Minor Nuisance

Im suprised because Ive done both tactic the running in boat after single boat i managed only 500k and going in balls out i got 1.7m

Always go balls deep

• phroxenphyre
    phroxenphyre
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Oct 2011 Posts: 5,342

Yeah, I typically get less than a million from a 75 since I generally wait until everything has been killed off except for the Proto-Nemeses. I have a NC fleet specifically designed for countering the missile damage they inflict, which can kill both for about 90 minutes of repairs. But still, 90 minutes of damage for 800-900k isn't bad, IMO.

Out of retirement
  • Cap'n Jim
    Cap'n Jim
    Minor Nuisance

Can u post a vid please Batman?

• I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    Master Tactician
    Joined Dec 2013 Posts: 2,312
    chuckee49 said:
    chuckee49 said:

Its not a useful direction ... 

So just to clarify ... 
    This is a hit and be hit game ... 
    Yet some hate it when their attacker gets ... hit ... by someone else ... after they have been hit ...

Amazing how those wanting to force some to play their way ... would in fact be up in arms if they were forced to play someone elses way ...