Phased projectiles against Deflector shields

BA Baracus
BA Baracus
Potential Threat
Joined May 2012 Posts: 40
I assume Deflector shields are the most effective against phased projectiles.  Is the armor damage bonus guaranteed, or does Deflector decrease that?

• shadow228
    shadow228
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 887
    The shield penetration is the same among Spectrals, Shockwaves, and Deflectors. When using projectiles against Deflectors, the shield itself will take less damage, but the damage that penetrates the shield will be no different from any other (non-recharging) shield.

• jimmymcgoochie
    jimmymcgoochie
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 2,164
    A ship takes the same amount of damage regardless of which shield you use- the difference is in how much the SHIELD takes.
    Like this: damage = 10, the shield has 90% resist so it takes 9 of the 10 damage and the ship itself takes 1. 
    The shield resists the damage type = still 10 damage, the ship still takes 1 damage but the shield takes only 4.5 damage (ie half as much, since that's what the resist means). 
    Phased projectiles effectively reduce the slice that the shields take off the damage, meaning more of the 10 damage gets through directly to the ship. I'm not entirely sure if that means the shields take less damage or the same amount of damage per hit...
    My VC story: 
    Vega Conflict-er since closed beta phase 1, back when torpedo harriers ruled the sector.
    BP- started in the black sea days, then the game died...
    WC- started pre-World Map, then everything went downhill.

My BP story series:
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/202668
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/239790
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/466086 (in progress).

• angel_xx
    angel_xx
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Oct 2013 Posts: 777

Brandon, where are you getting that a shield takes 100% of the damage? last time i checked all shields absorb 90% (except for metaphase). What jimmy said is correct.

This has been explained so many times that i thought you had that clear...

• shadow228
    shadow228
    Strike-force Captain

Also, a shield doesn't take half damage when it's being hit by the damage type it resists, it takes double damage when it's being hit by a damage type it doesn't resist.

• jimmymcgoochie
    jimmymcgoochie
    Master Tactician
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 2,164

S9K1 said:

Also, a shield doesn't take half damage when it's being hit by the damage type it resists, it takes double damage when it's being hit by a damage type it doesn't resist.

Didn't know that...

My VC story: 
    Vega Conflict-er since closed beta phase 1, back when torpedo harriers ruled the sector.
    BP- started in the black sea days, then the game died...
    WC- started pre-World Map, then everything went downhill.

My BP story series:
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/202668
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/239790
    https://www.kixeye.com/forum/discussion/466086 (in progress).

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat
    Joined Nov 2013 Posts: 26
    Like this: damage = 10, the shield has 90% resist so it takes 9 of the 10 damage and the ship itself takes 1. 
    The shield resists the damage type = still 10 damage, the ship still takes 1 damage but the shield takes only 4.5 damage (ie half as much, since that's what the resist means). 

Wrong, the ship shield takes 100% of the damage regardless, so in your example the shield would take 10 damage and the armor would take 1, (if your shield resists a specific type it will take half the damage... 5 shield damage, 1 armor damage)

LMAO... firt thing dont start ure post with wrong it makes u look like an ****... 2nd of his math was completely right the shield takes 9 damage or 4.5 damage if the shield is the same type... with ure way of saying it the shield will take the full 10 damage and the ship will take an xtra 1 dmage if the shield type dont match... what this guy wants to know is... if he has phased 5 for 50% damage penetration and he shoots md at a ship with deflector shield... if ea round does 10 damage would the ship take 5 damage or does the deflector shield stop 50% of that as well... i would ASSUME the shield dont effect the phased part because the damage is to the hull anbd dont touch the shield... however the round hits the shield and it makes sense that it would be halfed b4 touching the hull... so ither 10 damage with phased 5 and deflector deals 5 to hull and 2.5 to shield... 2.5 to hull 2.5 to shield... or with the way ure saying it 5 to shield and 5 to hull...

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat
    S9K1 said:

thats stupid as hell... where di u find this information... 

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat

dont troll me shorty lol... it make no sense for it to deal double damage against dif shields... it SHOULD do normal damage to shield and half to same type...

• shadow228
    shadow228
    Strike-force Captain

Swagger Jagger said:

dont troll me shorty lol... it make no sense for it to deal double damage against dif shields... it SHOULD do normal damage to shield and half to same type...

If this was the case a dual shock 5 Apoc could have over 30000 EHP against explosives. It would take an average base with 4-6 charger Vs over 2.5 min to destroy a fleet of 4.

• TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Jun 2013 Posts: 1,389

Wrong, the ship shield takes 100% of the damage regardless, so in your example the shield would take 10 damage and the armor would take 1, (if your shield resists a specific type it will take half the damage... 5 shield damage, 1 armor damage)

Are you sure this is right? If a ship has 100 dps. every second, it inflicts 100 damage to shields and 10 damage to armor, totaling to 110 dps???

• TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader

Best way to deal with Phased Projectiles is to dodge them. 

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat

S9K1 said:

Swagger Jagger said:

If this was the case a dual shock 5 Apoc could have over 30000 EHP against explosives. It would take an average base with 4-6 charger Vs over 2.5 min to destroy a fleet of 4.

i didnt explain that right if what u say is true and take coil 5 at 85 dps... if it shows 85 dps it should deal 85 dps... if its liek u say and deals double damage to the shield make it show 170 dps and people would understand it better... it would be the same thing unless damge to the shield is doubled but damage to the hull is normal dps shown... in which case stack tons of armor over shield

• shadow228
    shadow228
    Strike-force Captain

S9K1 said:

Swagger Jagger said:

i didnt explain that right if what u say is true and take coil 5 at 85 dps... if it shows 85 dps it should deal 85 dps... if its liek u say and deals double damage to the shield make it show 170 dps and people would understand it better... it would be the same thing unless damge to the shield is doubled but damage to the hull is normal dps shown... in which case stack tons of armor over shield

lol not even going to bother to type up a serious retort if you don't even care enough about this discussion to spell.

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat

Brandon Keeler said:

Are you sure this is right? If a ship has 100 dps. every second, it inflicts 100 damage to shields and 10 damage to armor, totaling to 110 dps???

Yes it does... think of it this way... 10% of the DPS hits the shield makes it through, and then continues to hit the armor. (Without phase, it 100 dps would do 100 to shield and 10 to armor)

very misleading tooltips then... if thats the case if u have phased 5 wouldt he deflector shield stop 50% of the Bleed damage from the phased... would the 50% from phased stack with 10% ... also what about ion would it react in the same way the similar shield reducing the effect of ion

• shadow228
    shadow228
    Strike-force Captain

Brandon Keeler said:

Yes it does... think of it this way... 10% of the DPS hits the shield makes it through, and then continues to hit the armor. (Without phase, it 100 dps would do 100 to shield and 10 to armor)

very misleading tooltips then... if thats the case if u have phased 5 wouldt he deflector shield stop 50% of the Bleed damage from the phased... would the 50% from phased stack with 10% ... also what about ion would it react in the same way the similar shield reducing the effect of ion

nASdjfashkdjaghdkjalfh i can m4sh my keybord 2

• Swagger Jagger
    Swagger Jagger
    Potential Threat
    S9K1 said:

S9K1 said:

Swagger Jagger said:

lol not even going to bother to type up a serious retort if you don't even care enough about this discussion to spell.

u know what the hell im saying dont reply then **** dont change that the tooltips dont match with whats actually happening in game 

• angel_xx
    angel_xx
    Strike-force Captain

To whoever deleted my post (Brandon?), i replied legitimately to the OP's question with accurate info unlike others going off topic here, so i don't see why the deletion.  

• TheHolyAsdf
    TheHolyAsdf
    Incursion Leader

And by placing Phase V - You're actually increasing the DPS? Have you tested this?

• Brandon Keeler
    Brandon Keeler
    Incursion Leader
    Joined Feb 2011 Posts: 1,185
    edited 9 Mar 2014, 3:16AM

I tested it out on a 25 and it appears I am wrong, the shield completely expires on the first shot without the phase, but with it, it does not. #Feelslikeanidiot

• angel_xx
    angel_xx
    Strike-force Captain
    edited 9 Mar 2014, 4:04AM

Here's my explanation, i hope i'm clear enough and it does not "disappear" again:

What PP do is modify the effectiveness of a shield, the higher the level the less percentage of damage the shield will absorb. 

"Normal" and regen shields absorb 90% of the damage whereas metaphase only 80%. This means that with Phased V, a ship that does 100 DPS will deal 60 dps to the armor (and 70 in the case of metaphase). It will not in any way increase the total damage as Brandon stated.

So, to the OP, it doesn't matter if you use deflector because the HULL will take the same damage regardless of the shield (against metaphase this is even deadlier), the only difference is that a deflector will last longer due to the resistance against projectiles. 

You can put a lot of armor on your ships/modules to make this boost less effective if you don't mind the increased repair times.

Ion Modulator is the only boost that affects the overall damage output of a weapon. 

If i'm wrong in something bring Carter to correct me and i'll gladly accept my mistake  :p