VEGA 40 Cargo with Harriers NO Damage (patch 4/17/13)

Mr.Kaven
Mr.Kaven
Greenhorn
Joined Apr 2013 Posts: 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJLCyCIxLU

This is how I do level 40 VEGA Cargo, with no damage and using only harriers. Hope you like it =)
Vega Sector 600 (Planet 616)
Peace and Prosper!
  • Mr.Kaven
    Mr.Kaven
    Greenhorn
    edited 22 Apr 2013, 6:37PM
    This is the decoy tactic.

Setup :
    1. Decoy harrier - Scatter Missiles I and Scatter Missiles II
    2. Hunting harriers - Beam Laser III x2
    (no shield or armor)

Sorry for resolution. I'm using an old CRT Monitor. =)

#Update: Decoy harrier must be damaged or it won't lure vega ships!
    (Sorry, I didn't mention that earlier, I though video shows that clearly)
    Peace and Prosper!
  • sector229
    sector229
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 144
    nice! thanks for the vid
  • sector229
    sector229
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined May 2011 Posts: 144
    you forgot to mention that you leave the lead harrier damaged because the fleet always chases the most damaged one. 
  • Matthew.Taylor12
    Matthew.Taylor12
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 78
    Thanks, i was trying to figure out why they follow what ship, very helpful!

• Krazie243
    Krazie243
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 10,669
    Cpt.Kaos said:
    you forgot to mention that you leave the lead harrier damaged because the fleet always chases the most damaged one. 
    Yeah that kinda is the KEY piece of information. I tried baiting so many times and it never worked because they always targeted the nearest ship. If having damage changes things, that matters.
    I don't play much anymore =(
  • martin591
    martin591
    Potential Threat
    Joined Sep 2012 Posts: 57
    Nice Video Thank's Curtis :)>-
  • Krazie243
    Krazie243
    Unicorn Overlord
    Thanks for thanking me, but it is Kaven who gets the credit here =)
  • martin591
    martin591
    Potential Threat
    edited 22 Apr 2013, 10:58PM
    OK Sorry did not read the heading of the video well done Kaven  ^:)^
  • BAKL_IV
    BAKL_IV
    Potential Threat
    Joined Feb 2012 Posts: 53
    Mr.Kaven said:
    This is the decoy tactic.

Setup :
    1. Decoy harrier - Scatter Missiles I and Scatter Missiles II
    2. Hunting harriers - Beam Laser III x2
    (no shield or armor)

Sorry for resolution. I'm using and old CRT Monitor. =)
    Thanks pal, that is great. Much appreciated.
  • ex dimo
    ex dimo
    TOME Game Team
    Joined Jun 2012 Posts: 64
    You sly devil! Interesting strategy.
    I am dimo on TOME and @bromid on Twitter.
    Follow me on Twitch: (TOME/Dota 2)
  • B0SS
    B0SS
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Jul 2011 Posts: 2,760
    You sly devil! Interesting strategy.
    Interesting indeed, the question is: Will KIXEYE fix the dumb Vegas, keep it as is or nerf more stuff?
  • Adrift
    Adrift
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 1
    Does it really matter what weapons are on the lure ship?
  • Krazie243
    Krazie243
    Unicorn Overlord
    Adrift said:
    Does it really matter what weapons are on the lure ship?
    Surprisingly yes. If the bait is unarmed it will not be chased.... I tried that. So stick some silly pea shooters on it so that it represents a real target. Then let something smack it up and don't fully repair it. Talk about preparing a ship for the worst job in its existence, lol.
  • Dayspring329
    Dayspring329
    Strike-force Captain
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 670
    Even if I damage the decoy they still seem to chase the pack for some reason but once I get the chaser right I can do a 30 so far.

photo forumbanner-2.jpg
  • Brian Michael McGaughey
    Brian Michael McGaughey
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Jan 2013 Posts: 187
    Yeah there is more to it than dmg ship.

I have 3 polaron harriers/pre harrier nerf patch, 3 beam lazer harrier and when i tried them, the AI was targetting a full health ship of the polaron even tho ihad 1 ship half life. Its not dps either cause beam lazer more dps.

Would consider testing this, but couldnt be bothered lol. I laugh how they trying to make the game harder by increasing armor/shields/speed of the enemy, but the AI is brain-dead, so all they do is effectively increase the time we gotta hit them lol

• Mr.Kaven
    Mr.Kaven
    Greenhorn

I laugh how they trying to make the game harder by increasing armor/shields/speed of the enemy, but the AI is brain-dead, so all they do is effectively increase the time we gotta hit them lol
    Every game's AI is brain dead. In every game it's all about understanding mechanics and countering them. If you play every game long enough, you'll start to realize there is always some kind of a pattern. Once you figure it out, every game is getting easy and simple.

So, people, stop being mad about it. It's beta. Many things is gonna change.

Peace!
    Peace and Prosper!
  • Krazie243
    Krazie243
    Unicorn Overlord
    Slightly true Kaven, but in Vegas all they have to do is stop letting ships be baited and simply make them target the nearest ship. There isn't a way to deal with that sort of tactic right now.
  • Mr.Kaven
    Mr.Kaven
    Greenhorn
    edited 23 Apr 2013, 6:37PM
    Slightly true Curtis, but if Vegas would target the nearest ship, that would mean we have to head bang into Vega ships, just like auto-attack does. I understand that our 'gear' should represent our power, but what would be the point of operating PVE fights then? Kixeye must really, really think about it.
    Peace and Prosper!
  • Tiantian Woot
    Tiantian Woot
    Greenhorn
    Joined Jan 2012 Posts: 22
    Very cool and unique AI
  • Fractal
    Fractal
    Master Tactician
    Joined Mar 2012 Posts: 2,425
    I dont understand whats wrong with players actually figuring out a strategy and developing skill to play with a games mechanics. A game developer should want this and encourage it, rather than find a way to counter it. There is a reason some ships were designed without 360 degree firing radius. There is a reason some programmer keyed the code for vegas to target a certain ship. Let it be and let players have fun devising unique ways of beating the AI.
    Playing since Feb 2012.  Originally sector 304
  • domole
    domole
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 392
    target the closest ship will result in baiting still, you would just need to make sure the lead ship in closer than the rest of the ships. AI is hard to program as it will not adapt like players do.
    I do not fight to win the battle, I fight to deprive our enemy of the desire to battle.
    Once the will to fight is gone, the war is won and the battle is over.
    Till they Leave or Quit, I will not rest, I will not waver, I will not stop.
    My creed, My Motto, My way of being solo in the land of groups.
  • Mr.Kaven
    Mr.Kaven
    Greenhorn
    edited 24 Apr 2013, 7:17AM
    In last update the AI targeted the closest ship and people were not satisfied. Kixeye changed it, and people are still not satisfied, I guess. :P
    Peace and Prosper!
  • ben enista
    ben enista
    Potential Threat
    Joined Apr 2012 Posts: 46
    I am still having problems getting the vega to chase my lead ship, it is damaged, no health or shields and only has pop guns, but the vega seems to make up its own mind as to which ship to chase, it there something i am doing wrong.  I can get it to work occassionally with no problems, but then the vega seem to gain intelligence and do what they want, not what they are supposed too. can someone please help.
  • martin591
    martin591
    Potential Threat
    I am still having problems getting the vega to chase my lead ship, it is damaged, no health or shields and only has pop guns, but the vega seems to make up its own mind as to which ship to chase, it there something i am doing wrong.  I can get it to work occassionally with no problems, but then the vega seem to gain intelligence and do what they want, not what they are supposed too. can someone please help.
    Make sure your fleet stays out of detection range hover mouse over attackers to see there limit
  • ben enista
    ben enista
    Potential Threat
    thanks for the reply, yes i am doing that, that is what is so frustrating, it should be working but isn't. Perhaps I should only have only very slight health on the bar, I have been having about half way.
  • Mr.Kaven
    Mr.Kaven
    Greenhorn
    ben, use scatter missiles on decoy
    Peace and Prosper!
  • ben enista
    ben enista
    Potential Threat
    ok, i will give that a try, thanks.
  • martin591
    martin591
    Potential Threat
    edited 24 Apr 2013, 9:22AM
    I have scatter 1 and 2 keep damage just above zero and i send flag ship of at 45 degrees this works best in 37 and 40
  • Vaughn63
    Vaughn63
    Potential Threat
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 31
    I personally like the new Vegas... now that I figured out which ship they follow and why lol Once people know this, anyone can take 30-40 with no damage and all under 5 min. Also, I set groups of two before start of battle and use the ships at rear of formation to follow my decoy ship offset to be out of range of the "birds" until I can get behind them. Setting groups ahead of time really helps ease control of ships.

• Jason Halls
    Jason Halls
    Skilled Warrior
    Joined May 2010 Posts: 546
    edited 24 Apr 2013, 3:07PM
    A simple solution to the AI would have 3+ different options available which are picked at random for the event.  Could even change mid-way through the event.:

1. Attack nearest ship
    2. Attack weakest ship
    3. Attack slowest
    3. Each ship pick a ship
    4. Attack highest DPS / lowest DPS
    5. Defensive mode - IE not chase or only chase for x seconds

Etc etc

OK some of these will result in a bait situation, but where the vegas are faster than strafing harriers I don't see the issue.
    http://www.lanse.co.uk
    Windows 7 x64
    (SP1 + Patches)
    Firefox 
    (current release)
    Flash 11.6
    Vega user 20250
    BYM User 1985