Im gonna back up kixeye here

• Vegan_Conflict
    Vegan_Conflict
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 181
    edited 4 Apr 2013, 6:56PM
    Sprouts said:
    ///

So: I'm here to help them make this the best game they can make, by beta testing for it, AND I'm also here to evaluate them for whether this is a game I'd like to play in the longterm and whether to talk any of my BP friends into playing - a large number of whom won't even look because it's made by Kixeye. If it's not, we'll find something else to play.

It's similar for me except switch BP with WC.
    I've already come to consider BP as a lost cause at this point, but VC might not be, so I'll likely continue to be highly critical and highly opinionated on how they run things if it looks warranted. 

Again, similarly with experiences people have had with WC. Too many people have written it off as a lost cause and even the update yesterday with new content didn't change that.
    Getting back to the original post, think we've progressed to the following:

1. Kixeye should've communicated much better about what was going on in advance of the reset.
    2. Many people still need to get over the idea that they're playing a finished game, as opposed to testing a work in progress.

Communication should have been a lot better and I do hope this team has learned from it. The general idea that was spread is that people who requested resets would get them and so a fair number of players knew that *others* were going to be reset. This is an understandable conclusion and expectation since it was communicated that requesting was required AND in fact people were told that requesting multiple times would slow down the reset process. Then, people log on fully expecting to start the next upgrades or refits...people tend to time it so they have at least a vague idea of when they can do some more of them. But, what do they see, a reset base and some coins with no explanation or warning that the "must request reset" had been thrown out. That sucks, that really sucks but at the same time it's water under the bridge and what's best is for the team (i dislike using "kixeye", there are different people doing different things) working on this project to come up with a better way of handling this sort of situation.

For instance, there is a well functioning system status messaging system in place. *IF* that system were used to notify players when they log in over a period of a couple of days "WARNING: DUE TO SOME ISSUES WITH PLAYER BASES WE WILL BE RESETTING MANY BASES TO THE BEGINNING AND WILL ADD COINS FOR THOSE EFFECTED SO THEY CAN LEVEL UP AGAIN FASTER" then it may have gone lot better.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all that plus people being reminded of WC (im not all that familiar with BP but it may be similar) where often times major things have been done with the sort of overall communication that they player doesn't matter, suck it up, it's beta. I do like a lot of the people on the WC team yet at the same time there are some who just don't seem to have the ability to put themselves in the player's shoes for a moment before deciding how to communicate something...or even worse, no communication at all.

For any relationship, whether it be personal or business or whatever, if a person on one side of it feels as if they're just a person who things get done TO by those on the other side of the relationship, then resentment starts to increase and then at some point it turns into contempt and that's how it ALWAYS goes. It's just a matter of time but that can be avoided by the team doing VC.

Without a communication strategy that's a priority there's no amount of features and tweaks that can be done that will stop the inevitable "they don't care, I feel resentment and frustration" building up. It is a relationship that needs to be built between the players and those working on the game. Without it, there will just be another example for people to point at (with kixeye) and say "see, they did it again" and it won't matter that it's a different mix of people working on this game, it'll be chalked up as "they did it again". I'm hoping that better strategies will be used for communications in the future with VC and I'm going ahead and giving them the benefit of doubt.

Many have already given up but I'm very patient, more patient than most and if I get to the point where I think "#$% it, enough" then I'd guess that the majority of other players have already done that. This is a really good game so far up until a week ago and sure, it was a bad idea to roll out an update right at a holiday, yeah, but that's something people can easily get over if it's not repeated time and time again. But, the battle issues since that update that still continue AND the not-very-well-handled strategy of doing base resets as far as the communication are a very big problem and it's much harder for people in general to get over that....especially when the battle issues that were introduced aren't fixed. Everyone has handled communications badly, no one was born knowing how.  I do have a background in communication and I still mess up a lot, I'm a human. But, at the same, time, when I do that I puzzle out ways to do better and not repeat the same errors over and over. I find new errors to make :)
  • Scott Cool
    Scott Cool
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 104
    You came in here (as seen below) with an already active dislike verging on hate for the company itself with the belief kixeye would do you wrong so to you a clown is a person who doesn't hate kixeye and is a person who is evaluating this game as objectively as possible without believing that it's a wasted effort like you belive. The difference between yourself and what you consider "clowns" is only that the "clowns" came in open-minded and are going by the disclaimer knowing that this is a test.

Uh, what?  What the actual **** are you talking about?  I never said I have a problem with Kixeye, I merely pointed out what a lot of people think of the company.  And I called them clowns because they are mindlessly repeating what the disclaimer said, something we all already know.  My point is that Kix has made a lot of PR blunders in the past that cost them loyal customers, and they're not above doing so again here.  You really shouldn't need this explained to you.

Seriously, guy, you need to work on your reading comprehension.  And while you're at it, calm down.  Flipping your **** over the word "clown" doesn't exactly make you seem reasonable.
  • Vegan_Conflict
    Vegan_Conflict
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 181

Seriously, guy, you need to work on your reading comprehension.  And while you're at it, calm down.  Flipping your **** over the word "clown" doesn't exactly make you seem reasonable.
    Hmmm, you're the one that's seriously pissed off.  I, on the other hand, am being reasonable, relaxed and pointing out the differences between your personal insults and reality.
  • Scott Cool
    Scott Cool
    Minor Nuisance
    Joined Nov 2011 Posts: 104

Hmmm, you're the one that's seriously pissed off.  I, on the other hand, am being reasonable, relaxed and pointing out the differences between your personal insults and reality.
    Sure you are, tough guy.  You're either a troll or an imbecile.  I'm guessing a little of both.
  • Sprouts
    Sprouts
    Unicorn Overlord
    Joined Nov 2010 Posts: 3,716
    In other news: looks like more resets coming tonight. I guess I better get in some playtime with my new exoduses that I made while at work today, in case they aren't there tomorrow. 
    (\(\
    (o.o)
    (")(")*
  • silencedhell
    silencedhell
    Greenhorn
    Joined Mar 2013 Posts: 20
    I am yet to have been reset, up to level 18 now though, sector 400 seems to be gaining more people than it is losing on reset though if im honest.

• Identity Zer0
    Identity Zer0
    Greenhorn
    Joined Feb 2013 Posts: 2
    edited 5 Apr 2013, 2:53PM
    Busterking said:

I was almost at level 28, with the coins they gave me after the unwanted unnecessary reset I can only make it to level 18.  I would need 10 times the amount of coins they gave me to get back to where I was.

But they really don't care about a few users.
    Strange...I was level 19 before the reset and on the first day I was up to 22 with 2 full fleets of rancors...and I had 100 less coins to spend than you.  I also spent a majority of that day streaming Defiance PvP on twitch.tv

Also note that I have played in every Kixeye beta except Desktop Defender, and I play that also.
  • BraticusCaticus
    BraticusCaticus
    Potential Threat
    Joined May 2012 Posts: 46
    1. Kixeye should've communicated much better about what was going on in advance of the reset.
    2. Many people still need to get over the idea that they're playing a finished game, as opposed to testing a work in progress.
    I totally agree, and I am not upset that my account got reset. I only wish that they had given us more gold. I was level 23, and I only received 250 gold. I think they based it on how long you have been playing, and not how much you actually played during that time. I know that there were players lower level than me that got more gold.
    Regards,
    BraticusCaticus

"I choose to believe what I was programmed to believe"